As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portend: A Post-Apocalyptic Pirate [Phalla] - Game Over!

BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
edited August 2016 in Critical Failures
7Tqqa1S.jpg?1

What are the tales they tell you, where you're from? Do they tell you of the heroes of old, fighting in vain against nature herself? Do they tell you of how the world was drowned in fire and storm? Or do they just tell you that this is how the world has always been?

See, where I'm from, they never tell us about any of that shit. The only tale we tell our children is that life is an awful struggle and that what comes after isn't any better. No stories of dusky maidens or flowing liquor or comfortable beds; all that waits for us is the land of salt and grey. It's why all us fuckers from Portend cling so damn hard to life. It's shit, but it's the best we're going to get.

Which is why I'm here, you see. Things in Portend are never good, but right now? We've got darkness on the horizon. The damn politicians - or whichever pricks pass for them - are scrapping, as is their fucking wont. But our supplies are running low, and whenever that happens we all know that blood's going to hit the water sharpish. So I'm here, because I need a fucking crew to make sure I'm the seadog who winds up at the head of the pack.

This is my offer; drink up, and join me in a new life as a pirate of Portend. Or would you rather sit here, wasting your damn life away in this pisshole?

So. What d'you say?

What's this?

This is a phalla.

Phalla? What's that?

The forum's version of the party game, Mafia. See here for more details. General rules apply, including no anonymous contact between players, direct quoting of role PMs, etc. I don't care about paraphrasing role PMs. If you set up an off-site proboard, please PM me the link to it.

Every day you must vote for a player who you wish to have eliminated. Please !vote in red and !retract in lime. Retractions are not necessary; only your last vote will be counted.

Days will end at 3am BST. Don't necessarily expect a "day end" post, although votes and orders received after that point will not be counted.

Alright. What's the twist?

There are a few. This isn't a standard phalla, so please read carefully.

Player Roles and Objectives

The majority of players will be pirates of the city of Portend, and will share an objective to rid the city of any threats to its stability. Do not necessarily assume that someone who has a role other than a pirate of Portend is a threat to the city. Please also do not assume that objectives can not change as the game progresses.

Player Actions and Abilities

Each night, every player may choose to perform one of the following actions. To submit an order, please send a private message to me.

Assault - Choose a target player and damage them that night. See Combat for an explanation of this ability.
Piracy - Leave Portend for the night to go raiding, in order to acquire new treasures.
Drink - Crack open the rum. This may lead to a variety of effects.

Many players may have actions available to them other than these, which will be listed in their role PM. Be warned that the usage of many actions is dependent on landmarks in Portend remaining standing, as detailed in the City of Portend section of the rules.

Some players may also have passive abilities, which are used automatically and do not need to be assigned a target. These abilities will be clearly marked in your role PM.

The City of Portend

The island city of Portend is famed mostly for its rowdy populace, but it also contains a number of landmarks which are notable. These structures enable the use of various player abilities, although if - for some reason - they are damaged to the point of reaching 0 HP then players may no longer take these actions. Once a landmark has reached 0 HP, it is destroyed and its HP cannot be altered.

Forge (10 HP) - Enables weapon and armour upgrades.
Harbour (10 HP) - Allows players to engage in piracy each night.
Mortuary (10 HP) - Reveals causes of death in nightly narrations.
Sacred Cave (5 HP) - Enables divination abilities to be used.
The Lock and Sabre Pub (10 HP) - Allows the drink action to be taken.

Player Statistics and Items

Every player will have three statistics; Hit Points, Attack, and Defense. Hit Points indicate how much damage a player can take, and the average player will have 5 HP. Attack and Defense are tied to the items that a player has; weapon will determine Attack, and armour provides Defense. Players will begin the game with a weapon and armour, and may either find new items or upgrade their existing ones by taking various actions. Note that you may not ever have more than one weapon or armour; if you find a new item you will automatically discard the weaker one. You may also not trade with another player.

Players will also have a special item slot, which may be filled with a variety of miscellaneous trinkets. Players may only ever have a single special item.

Combat

When an Assault action is taken against a target player, the victim's Defense value is subtracted from the assaulter's Attack value to determine how much damage the victim receives. For instance, if a pirate with 2 Attack used Assault on a landlubber with 1 Defense, the landlubber would lose 1 HP.

If a player reaches 0 HP, they are dead. This is generally seen as a bad thing.

Please be warned that my games frequently include experimental mechanics which may or may not be perfectly balanced. If you are a looking for a game which features a vig, guard and standard mafia you might want to sit this one out. If you are looking for a game which might feature multiple timelines, tentacle monsters or Vlads then I encourage you to sign up.

Rules clarifications

Please ask rules queries by tagging me in your post, "@Burnage".
Brody wrote: »
If the attack value is less than the defense value, will a) the defender gain health, b)the attacker take damage, or c) nothing will happen stop asking dumb questions.

Nothing will happen. The defender will lose 0 HP.
38thDoe wrote: »
We can't drink and pirate at the same time? What kind of pirates are these anyways?

Due to chronic alcoholism and hardened livers, there is not enough room on your ships to carry sufficient quantities of alcohol for you to become inebriated.

The last pirate of Portend to attempt this was the late Rickard of Arlington, who several decades ago vowed to set sail while imbibing large quantities of rum and subsequently had his ship sink an eighth of a nautical mile from Portend's harbour, solely due to the weight of the kegs. Unfortunately for Rickard, both he and his crew were too drunk to swim back, and many in Portend still say you can hear his final cries of mirth on stormy nights.

If you'd like to set sail to Portend, please sign up in green.

Burnage on

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Narration List:

Player List:
    1. Grunt's Ghosts
    2. Brody, Healer of Portend - killed by robed figures
    3. ObiFett, Shadowdancer - assaulted, assaulted, torn apart by something unspeakable and torn apart by something unspeakable
    4. AustinP0027, Pirate of Portend - stabbed by robed figures
    5. Kime, Pirate of Portend - Voted to Walk the Plank, and then murdered by shadowy figures.
    6. MrTLicious, Diviner of Portend - torn apart by something unspeakable
    7. Megafrost Bliss 101
    8. JPants, Pirate of Portend - torn apart by something unspeakable
    9. WACriminal
    10. Egos, Builder of Portend - stabbed by robed figures
    11. 38thDoe
    12. Cythraul, Pirate of Portend - assaulted
    13. Bedlam, Pirate of Portend - walked the plank and assassinated
    14. Auralynx, Death Cultist - walked the plank
    15. Infidel, Scourge of Portend - sacrificed by Death Cultists
    16. chamberlain, Death Cultist - walked the plank
    17. enlightenedbum, Defender of Portend- torn apart by something unspeakable
    18. Preda Locus, Builder of Portend - assaulted
    19. Martoss, Death Cultist - assaulted
    20. Discrider, Death Cultist - walked the plank
    21. cj iwakura, Diviner of Portend - walked the plank
    22. Mamawolf, Healer of Portend - assaulted in a time paradox (host error)
    23. I needed a gnome to post., Duelist of Portend - assaulted
    24. corvidae
    25. Raiden333, Death Cultist - torn apart by something unspeakable
    26. Gizzy, Protector of Portend - stabbed by robed figures
    27. Matev, Pirate of Portend - torn apart by something unspeakable
    28. Green, Pirate of Portend - assaulted
    29. Assuran, The Pirate King of Portend - assaulted
    30. Phyphor, Pirate of Portend - assaulted
    31. SLyM
    32. Premium, Pirate of Portend - caught in a nuclear blast
    33. KetBra lonelyahava
    34. Trust, Pirate of Portend - torn apart by something unspeakable
    35. SaberOverEasy, the Exiled Ex-King of Portend - walked the plank

Burnage on
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Raiding for Booty

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Brody

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    What's a Pirate's favorite letter?

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Ahoy! Avast! Walk the plank! Other various pirate talk!

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Oh oh I want to be a pirate! Adventure! Freedom!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Looks like I've been bitten by the Phalla bug again, but it also looks like I'll be too busy to pay attention until Sunday. But I can be in reserve just in case.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »

The C

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Look behind you, a three-headed monkey!

• Options
    What's a Pirate's least favorite letter?

• Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular

His true love is the C.
    Burnage wrote: »
    You'll see. This post will be updated with detailed rules immediately prior to the beginning of the game.

Oh my god yes.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    you had me at post-

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular

A T. They are always booing it.

• Options
    edited August 2016

Their letter of marque and reprisal.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options

Dear sir,

Your internet access has been terminated due to illegal usage.

Sincerely, your service provider.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Professional Pirate signing up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj8EZm9ca8

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Yo ho ho

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    L

Because people are always tellin' me to get the L out of here!

Bedlam on
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Professional Pirate signing up.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrj8EZm9ca8

The best number by far in an underappreciated Muppet movie.

It's what I overheard in the apple barrel.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    !Burnage phalla

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    !Burnage phalla

!!! You have spotted a wild Infidel !!!

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Is the rum gone?

chamberlain on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    What is 3 bst in normal person time? Because I want to play but this is a busy time at work so if close is too early I don't think I can do it.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    What is 3 bst in normal person time? Because I want to play but this is a busy time at work so if close is too early I don't think I can do it.

Should be 10pm ET, 7pm PT.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular

• Options
    MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    What even is a poop deck, really?

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited August 2016

What about R?

discrider on
  • Options
    Martoss wrote: »
    What even is a poop deck, really?

In a ship with multiple levels of deck exposed to the air, it is the elevated deck at the ass end of the ship.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    SLyM wrote: »

Should be 10pm ET, 7pm PT.

2pm new zealand time, the same day as bst, next day est

reserve

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I love chaos!

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I would like to try if I can if not, I reserve

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Can I just say I really like the wordplay with "Portend"? Port, end. Ties together the pirate and post-apocalyptic themes nicely, then when pushed together adds a nice dollop of weird supernatural atmosphere on top.

I dig it.

• Options
    Also, @AustinP0027 has a good idea going, so I'll help out.

Day 1 deaths last game:
    Grunt's Ghosts
    Sir Fabulous

Day 2 deaths last game:
    Egos
    Void Slayer
    AustinP0027
    Smasher
    JPants
    Preda

• Options
    I just assumed it was post-apocalypse Portland.

• Options
    Also, how much will my half assed naval knowledge from reading an unending supply of novels benefit me as a pirate?

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »
    Also, how much will my half assed naval knowledge from reading an unending supply of novels benefit me as a pirate?

Probably about as much as it would've if this were Portland-based.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    tick tock goes the croc

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    Back from the grave, ready to rave