As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Deus Ex] Superheroes killed the robot cop

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Here are the things I remember about Human Revolution's story

Sarif had your arms and legs cut off for funsies

Doctor lady wasn't actually dead

Zombie Island

The Ending Generator, a machine designed to create 3 prefab endings with handy buttons to start each one

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    The writing in Human Revolution was bad too, but it was "just" a complete non-entity

I disagree!

Apart from that one character who we will never speak of again, I thought the writing was strong throughout, particularly in Hong Kong and near the end of the game

There are actual characters I remember from that game, which is not really what I expected going in

Sure the "boss" stuff was real lame and those guys were total non-entities (outside of one sort of neat boss fight involving camouflage) but Sarif and Malik and Tong and even your shitty British radio man were all solid, and a couple of them even had arcs!

The problem is that I expect better than the original in my sequel, and I'm not at all confident they can deliver that

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Elias Toufexis is the best fantasy wizard name I've ever heard

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Man I can't believe no one's made a supercut of TBFP saying "Jenson!" in their Pritchard voices.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I wonder if the art director for this game still looks exactly like Adam Jensen

Because that was always pretty funny to me

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    I don't think the overarching story of that game is anything special, but most of the conversation writing is great in HR.

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    I don't think the overarching story of that game is anything special, but most of the conversation writing is great in HR.

I loooooooved the conversation "battles" you had in that game

It was some of the best writing I'd seen in a game in a long time

No one felt stupid, is what impressed me most. That and the fact that the conversation could go in a different direction every time you played through it so you couldn't just memorize the answers, that was a nice little touch

OH. And that if you took the "social" aug, the conversation system changed completely to a sort of minigame, which was both awesome and fed back into the notion that these particular kinds of augs dehumanized others! So smart!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Deus Ex Human Resources was one of my top 5 games of recent years. I am both thrilled about a sequel and bitter that it will probably be a minimum of a year and a half before I can play it.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I BELIEVE I read that Malik died in canon

• Options
    Also I'm playing Go
    It's neat! It's the first one of these I've played

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

That's some bullshit canon they made, then!!

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    According to IMDB, Peter Serafinowicz is in this game too

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Olivaw wrote: »

That's some bullshit canon they made, then!!

You ain't wrong

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    I would be all about a modern remake of the original Deus Ex. People talk highly of that game, but I find it to be really difficult to actually play, whereas Human Revolution was nearly perfect to me.
    i would probably buy multiple copies of a remake of deus ex in the HR/MD engine

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    boycotting edios montreal forever

• Options
    I imagine Malik not being in the game is a lot easier to design around, but they could have just let you upload your HR save and change the dialog so that she's left Sarif Industries for whatever reason if you saved her.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Malik retired. That's what happened.

You saved her, and she retired and is living off the grid happily.

No I don't.
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Oh, for a look at the "canon" version of Human Resources SPOILERS OFC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D42AsgO28ZY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws7MXsM2PRo
    rather cunningly they didn't pick an ending

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Oh, for a look at the "canon" version of Human Resources SPOILERS OFC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D42AsgO28ZY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws7MXsM2PRo
    rather cunningly they didn't pick an ending
    That's fair. I picked all of them.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    scuttlebutt on NeoGaf is that Mankind Divided is getting some good reviews. EDGE supposedly gave it a 9.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I don't remember anyone but Jensen and Sarif.

• Options
    captaink wrote: »

How can you not remember Malik or Pritchard. They're probably the characters you interact with the most (at least, verbally).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    captaink wrote: »

How can you not remember Malik or Pritchard. They're probably the characters you interact with the most (at least, verbally).

The name Pritchard rings a bell, but that's all.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Were they fellow employees at Sarif's company?

I'll go read the wiki in a minute I'm just trying my brain first.

captaink on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Pritchard was the annoying tech guy, and usually talked to you over the radio

Malik was your pilot, who you save because why would you not

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I remember Malik because I had yet to use lethal weaponry up to that point and that rescue mission was a pain.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Malik is the Pilot.
    Pritchard is the Prick. Sorry, tech guy.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    pritchard was the IT guy who was a huge dick to you (can't remember if it was jealousy or just he's naturally a dick) but came to begrudgingly respect you
    malik was hr's jock

• Options
    I remember I was committed enough to completely ghost through the Malik rescue so I could maintain Foxiest of the Hounds on my "canon" play through

• Options
    I've thought about trying for a ghost run of MD, but I'm nowhere near good enough to pull that off easily and I don't think I'm patient enough to keep trying until I get it, so I'll probably quickly settle for just doing it all nonlethally.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    I was trained in the fires of perfect ghosting every Splinter Cell (except ConViction, because you can't). This is my calling

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I only remember Prichard's inability to pronounce the word 'Cholo'.

• Options
    The trick to Ghost/Foxhound is that it's not tied to not being seen, it's tied to not setting off any alarms. So you can be fairly aggressive as long as you can bag mooks before they get to an alarm panel. I've got the "platinum"* for the original release, but I've not got around to getting it in the Directors Cut yet.
    It'd be nice if achievements would let you know when you fail them though, like synch bonuses in AC for example.

*or whatever the steam equivalent is

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    The trick to Ghost/Foxhound is that it's not tied to not being seen, it's tied to not setting off any alarms. So you can be fairly aggressive as long as you can bag mooks before they get to an alarm panel. I've got the "platinum"* for the original release, but I've not got around to getting it in the Directors Cut yet.
    It'd be nice if achievements would let you know when you fail them though, like synch bonuses in AC for example.

yeah. i thought i had the no kill achievement, but it turns out i killed a guy way somewhere in the middle of the game. wasn't motivated enough to go back and try again.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options

yeah. i thought i had the no kill achievement, but it turns out i killed a guy way somewhere in the middle of the game. wasn't motivated enough to go back and try again.
    you can fail it for killing people in the tutorial (before you have non-lethal takedowns)
    pretty sure that's how i failed it

• Options
    P10 wrote: »

you can fail it for killing people in the tutorial (before you have non-lethal takedowns)

I've had a knocked out dude drown in a puddle, there's also a bug where occasionally, tranquillised enemies just die when you're not looking. Which is nice.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options

I've had a knocked out dude drown in a puddle, there's also a bug where occasionally, tranquillised enemies just die when you're not looking. Which is nice.

That bug exists in real life too, sadly.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Oh shit.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote: »

Oh shit.

yeah, uh, you might wanna lay low for a while. ya know, get outta the country for a bit. preferably in a non-extradition type place.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah Brick I think...yeah.