As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USA Presidential Election 2016: Straight Outta Breitbart

StericaSterica YesRegistered User, Moderator mod
The country that brought you overpriced smartphones is having an election! For president! It's the head of the USA's executive branch, and arguably the most powerful position that any one person on the planet can hold. This kind of election only happens once every four years, so you gotta enjoy it while it lasts! Let's have a good time and talk about all the hilarious ups and downs of this election season. Warning: sometimes it may be less hilarious, and more soul-crushing!

Things to Consider Before Posting
  • Resist the urge to dogpile unpopular sentiments. If it's really inflammatory then report it.
  • Just because somebody is/isn't voting doesn't mean they are personally responsible for the downfall of democracy.
  • This is SE++ so don't get hung up on derails.

Previously in the POTUS Thread...
Your mid-August report is basically that of a holding pattern until the election season truly kicks off sometime in September when people start paying closer attention. Trump is maintaining his roughly six-point deficit with no major changes in the polls. There has been a very small uptick for him, but we'll see if this is a meaningful change or just statistical static. Which, to be honest, is kind of amazing when you consider that he implied his supporters should shoot Clinton if she wins in November. His campaign is claiming to do yet another pivot to an actual campaign with weird notions like "dignity" but, if the previous failed resets are any indication, that mostly involves making Trump read off teleprompters until he decides to go off-script again. Trump's campaign is going off the rails so hard that the question seems to be less "Will she win?" and more "So what does a landslide look like?" And his campaign manager, Paul Manafort, has abandoned ship with less than 80 days left til the election, making him another causality in Trump's revolving door campaign team. Look: you know you're fucking up when Georgia is a potential battleground.

Clinton is less interesting unless you're Alex Jones in which case she has literally every disease known to man and is going to die mere days after the election. Unsurprisingly Trump has also made allusions to Clinton's "failing" health, which honestly is bad news for him since I think Clinton's corpse would just poll even stronger. The current cycle for Clinton news is as follows: Wikileaks tells us they got super damning emails, nothing happens, repeat until everyone stops paying attention to Wikileaks. It doesn't help that Wikileaks has had allegations of Russian ties levied against it and, depending on how snug you wear your tinfoil hat, that these are part of Putin's machinations to get Trump in the White House. Not because of any mutual ideology, but probably because Putin would be able to run circles around Trump in the Big Game of Foreign Affairs. Let's put it this way: Clinton has survived everything the GOP has thrown at her for the past three years. There isn't some scandal that they're going to dig up between now and November and win this thing. Expect them to just bring up the old non-scandals and pretend she was guilty after all. If Trump doesn't pivot (and have it stick), all she'll have to do is act like an adult and she'll win.

Would you like to know more? Read the previous threads...
  1. Bad Hair Day
  2. Over the Hegemony
  3. Screams from My Father
  4. Vice Vice Baby
  5. A Ring of Liar
  6. A Day at the Racist

In the Blue Corner...

6Oc5wv4.png
"Healthy" Hillary Clinton
68 Years Old
Former Secretary of State and Senator

Strengths: A cutthroat politician that doesn't fuck around, which is a requirement if you want to get this far as a woman. Has tied up the minority votes ages ago, and the woman's vote is probably safe. Connections? She keeps popular company. Campaign is top-notch, with some of Obama's old crew on board. In the shitty, weird year that is 2016's rotted landscape, she's the one offering stability and, more importantly, an actual working game plan.

Weaknesses: Has made her far share of Faustian bargains to get here; she's hardly anyone's first choice for president and has kicked up party in-fighting. Sure, everyone and their mother knew the party backed Clinton during the primary, but did you really need DWS on your campaign that badly? Some Bernie Bros aren't going back now. Friendly with wall street, as befitting as person this connected, and we're still not sure if she's all that remorseful about Iraq. Actions speak louder than campaign platitudes, so it's a coin toss as to whether or not she's gotten over her Neocon days in the Middle East.

nRWmQiK.png
Tim "We Can Jesuit" Kaine
58 Years Old
Senator, Former Governor of Virginia and DNC Chair

Strengths: Dull, but likable and not going to rock the boat, which is just what the Clinton camp wants. Carries Virginia, which has liked going blue these past few elections, but we're not sure if it like likes it. Willingness to set aside personal views for the good of the country will be seen as a big plus by wishy washy moderates. Popular with Hispanics, as if this ticket hadn't tied up that vote over a year ago.

Weaknesses: A lukewarm candidate for a lukewarm ticket: the thing about safe bets is that you can't expect a big payoff. Voting record may not matter to party members skeptical about his personal politics.

In the Red Corner...

ZW4omAN.png
Donald "Second Amendment" Trump
70 Years Old
he's allowed to run

Strengths: No shame; all ego. Trump does not wish to play by the rules, and when you're this far behind there's some kind of argument to be made for throwing hail marys until November. Supporters are loyal to the point of some whitebread cult of fear, taking in every Trumpism as gospel and willing to play in his parody of reality. When you can blame Bush for 9/11, badmouth gold star families, and still not miss a beat...you've effectively got the base hypnotized. It's safe to say that Trump's biggest strength is just how much chaos he has brought into this election. Don't get complacent.

Weaknesses: The GOP base isn't what it used to be. The warning signs that banking on angry white men was a poor invested were happening back in 2008: Republicans needed to switch from the Southern Strategy years ago but they opted for short-term gains by stoking fear of the Black Man in the White House. This let a carnival barker like Trump Kingfish his way in and steal the base from the elites. Now it's 2016, and their candidate kicked off his campaign by pissing off Hispanics. Trump is a throwback to a bygone era: the last gasps of Goldwater's fear engine.

3z34ffi.png
Mike "This is Fine" Pence
57 Years Old
Governor of Indiana

Strengths: He's an old-school moral majority conservative to ensure all of the other old-school moral majority conservatives that Trump will offer them a spot at the kid's table. A quiet man that was picked to be a good, subservient underling to Trump and do all the actual President work once in office. A VP pick aimed to bring the party together without stealing Trump's thunder.

Weaknesses: A dreadfully boring man whose politics left the realm of the American moderate a few years ago. Pence is window dressing for aging Republican holdouts and he knows it.

FAQ

Who are our tragic third-party candidates?

Jill Stein (with running mate Ajamu Baraka) is running on the Green Party ticket, and Gary Johnson (with running mate Bill Weld) is the Libertarian candidate. There's other perennial candidates, such as Vermin Supreme, but I'd be here all day rattling off those.

What's a battleground?

A state that is polling more or less in the middle is considered a battleground. Because solidly Republican or Democratic states would require too much time and money to make even a dent in polls, candidates focus on the handful of states that are feasible to turn. Now, this doesn't mean that voting in a "stronghold" state is pointless. After all, many battleground states were at one point or another considered reliable votes for one party or the other, and people do pay attention to shifts in polls even if the overall outcome hasn't quite changed yet.

States "in play" this election include Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and Wisconsin. Oh, and apparently Georgia now?

When are the debates?

September 26, 2016
October 4, 2016 (VP)
October 9, 2016
October 19, 2016

When is Election Day?

November 8th, 2016

How long do I have to register to vote?

It varies by state

November 8th is kinda busy for me. Can I vote early?

It varies by state, although some states don't allow for early voting at all.

I want to vote from a safe distance. What are my options for citizens abroad?

This should help you out.

Note that this should also be useful for people who are still in the States but will be in another state/city/etc from wherever they're registered come election day.

YL9WnCY.png

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    -Tal wrote:
    Steve Rogers is a virgin

@-Tal that's one hell of a post to close a thread with

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Tried to reply after the last thread closed but RE: that CNN video with Trump's media spokesguy good lord! I've seen high-school student council debates that were more mature and professional. Reporter asks a question he doesn't like and he just tries to talk over her the entire time. Way to go, dude, using a strategy primarily employed by 11-year-olds.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    I've started reading the OP as a Dragon Ball Z recap, announcer, theme song and all.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So lately there's been some buzz about Gary Johnson winning New Mexico, and how if he does it could fuck up the entire process pretty badly re: the electoral college and whatnot. Is there any veracity to these claims?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The last poll was in May and had Johnson at 14% so they're going to have to point to something that has him a little higher I think.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    The only way it could fuck up the process is if somehow he won a state AND Hillary didn't get 270 votes. At this point that's pretty unlikely.

Failing to get a majority of electoral college delegates means congress picks the president.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    The only way Gary Johnson wins a state is if both Trump and Clinton somehow forgot to get their names on the ballot

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    The only way Gary Johnson wins a state is if both Trump and Clinton somehow forgot to get their names on the ballot

Well...

Maybe Utah. It's being really weird this year.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »

Well...

Maybe Utah. It's being really weird this year.

weirder

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The shitslinging about Clinton's health is disgusting, by the way. Everyone involved should be utterly ashamed at how low they've stooped to get something, anything to attack Clinton.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    She opened a jar of pickles, she's fine!

I can't even do that most of the time!

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    The shitslinging about Clinton's health is disgusting, by the way. Everyone involved should be utterly ashamed at how low they've stooped to get something, anything to attack Clinton.

Does this mean we have to stop shitslinging about Trump's health too?

Because man, that doctor's letter to too good to pass up.

broken image link
  • Options

it's the birther issue for this election cycle

• Options
    I've never doubted Trump's physical capability to act as President.

His mental capability? Well...

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Johnson probably has the best chance of winning a state since Perot, if not since Wallace

that's not a very good chance though

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular

I think it's fine to mock hilariously fake doctor's letters, but not fine to pivot from there to saying that his health is failing and mocking him for that.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Johnson probably has the best chance of winning a state since Perot, if not since Wallace

that's not a very good chance though

It's Utah, right?

I think turning Utah from Solid R to Leans R/possibly even Toss Up is an amazing achievement of Trump's.

• Options

Speculating about his health isn't cool, but making fun of specific things he's said and done is, I think, mandatory.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
  • Options
    Johnson was New Mexico's governor, yes?

I could see him taking his own state. A high Hispanic population, and they're not all going to vote Clinton so I could see a high number of Johnson protest votes.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    He was here last week with a low rider club showing up to support him
    Sadly he seems to be the most sane and realistic of the candidates

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

The man who wants to eliminate corporate taxes and abolish the IRS is the most sane and realistic candidate?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

The man who wants to eliminate corporate taxes and abolish the IRS is the most sane and realistic candidate?

"The wall just got ten feet higher"

• Options
    Trump tends to skew your views of reality

• Options
    Trump tends to skew your views of reality

Trump and Johnson aren't the only two candidates.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Well, my home state continues to disappoint me. Apparently there's a Quran burning scheduled in the town of Gillette! This same town went througg similar shit a while back after plans to open their first mosque drew a bunch of redneck protests.

Fuckin Wyoming.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    It really is amazing to me the amount of vitriol people have for Clinton just because she seems kind of sketchy with some of her dealings.

Almost no one I've asked among my friends can give me credible policy issues to not vote for her mainly because of the primary. It's just so fucked how broken people's ideas are

• Options
    Well, my home state continues to disappoint me. Apparently there's a Quran burning scheduled in the town of Gillette! This same town went througg similar shit a while back after plans to open their first mosque drew a bunch of redneck protests.

Fuckin Wyoming.

Should print up a bunch of bibles with Quran covers and sell them to protesters.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

Fuckin Wyoming.

I wonder what people think this accomplishes

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Fuckin Wyoming.

It keeps the sharia law out, duh

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

Fuckin Wyoming.

Attention, for starters

Also an un-selfaware affirmation of First Amendment rights

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Well it's a pretty strong statement of "we hate your stinking guts", if you're just trying to get that word out its pretty effective

• Options
    I don't know that they think it accomplishes anything, other than networking with other bigots

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular

I've entertained the idea of Trump being a national version of The Wave, but that's probably just wishful thinking.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I want you all to appreciate something. That thing yesterday where I spent three hours posting about how various presidents would take someone to pound town?

I got paid for that.

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I want you all to appreciate something. That thing yesterday where I spent three hours posting about how various presidents would take someone to pound town?

I got paid for that.

Lots of people have been paid for time they spent taking a shit

• Options
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I hate that fucking "consumer" channel because it always comes up in my Youtube recommendations and hey Youtube just because I like John Oliver doesn't mean I like people who steal his content actually it means the opposite

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Johnson was New Mexico's governor, yes?

I could see him taking his own state. A high Hispanic population, and they're not all going to vote Clinton so I could see a high number of Johnson protest votes.

Nah. He was kind of a weirdo as governor, and he's only gotten weirder in the years since he left. Most New Mexicans see him as that one friend from high school that you keep as a Facebook friend just to see how crazy they can go. His support for legalizing marijuana will lose him a bunch of conservatives, and his tax policy will lose everyone who knows how taxes work. He'll get some protest votes and probably a pretty good showing among both ranchers and hippies, and name recognition will knock him up a few points. But we're in no danger of him actually carrying the state.

New Mexico is usually a pretty purple state (we voted for every winning President since statehood, except for Bush/including Gore,) but this year it's looking like Clinton by a pretty big margin.

GDdCWMm.jpg
This discussion has been closed.