As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Overwatch 7.0] Sombra officially announced in cinematic "Infiltration"

• Options
    WhiteSharkWhiteShark Registered User regular
    MadPen wrote: »
    Gaming mice. For suckers? They used to be. I assume they still are. Logitech's marketing is breaking down my brain. Someone talk me down.

get a razer instead

get a zowie! I am exceedingly pleased with my Zowie Ec2-a. Doesn't have a ton of extra buttons or anything, but has a "flawless" sensor and it feels nice.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    I'm watching that pro Overwatch stream and Rogue (the team who won the big tournament last weekend) just pulled out an offensive Mei at the beginning of Dorado. That's the first offensive Mei I've seen in pro play.

Yeah, pro teams like to have "secret strats" that they'll practice and then whip out all of a sudden in a tournament so the other team won't be prepared and won't know how to respond.

I think they were the team that also used her on King's Row defense?

That might have been EnvyUs

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Two things about this Rogue vs TornadoRox match on Hanamura;

TornadoRox is having a hard time getting through the gate without getting split up by Rogue's ice wall. I think TR should be having everyone stand around the corner of the gate in a line, then having their own Mei put the wall under all their feet, so they can jump around the corner over any wall that Rogue puts up.

Second thing; Rogue just did a ridiculously awesome looking coordination where their McCree ran out and threw a flashbang over TR's Reinhardt's shield, stunning him, whilst simultaneously Rogue's Reinhardt's Earthshatter swept the entire team. Just glorious coordination.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Gaming mice. For suckers? They used to be. I assume they still are. Logitech's marketing is breaking down my brain. Someone talk me down.
    In 30 years of PC gaming, the only mouse I've ever had just stop working on its own has been my Logitech G9. But the adjustable weights really gave it a more comfortable feel, so I'd consider buying another if the price weren't ridiculous.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    I'm watching that pro Overwatch stream and Rogue (the team who won the big tournament last weekend) just pulled out an offensive Mei at the beginning of Dorado. That's the first offensive Mei I've seen in pro play.

Yeah, pro teams like to have "secret strats" that they'll practice and then whip out all of a sudden in a tournament so the other team won't be prepared and won't know how to respond.

I think they were the team that also used her on King's Row defense?

That might have been EnvyUs

EnVyUs and Rogue are the two teams I remember using Mei in the past.

• Options
    GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular

get a razer instead

My Logitech has lasted wayyy longer than any Razer mouse I had. That being said, Razer mice feel super nice.

Sample size of one, but my Razer Abyssus has to be 4-5 years old at this point and works flawlessly.

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    I've had a Logitech G600 for years now, after dumping Razer because their shitty Naga mice kept succumbing to that infamous double-click issue. Aside from inevitable periodic opening and cleaning that mice typically need with extended use, it's been working like a champ.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Wait, if Faze beat Rogue, why was Rogue vs Tornado the final today? Shouldn't it have been Faze v Tornado?

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Thanks for the mouse advice, all. I think I'm going to pick up the Razer based on your recommendations and this:
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-mouse/

Also my wife will laugh at me if I buy a mouse that looks like a spaceship.

edit: not that I'm afraid of my wife laughing at me. Pffft. No, sir. I'm far too manly to care about that.

MadPen on
    3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the mouse advice, all. I think I'm going to pick up the Razer based on your recommendations and this:
    http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-gaming-mouse/

Also my wife will laugh at me if I buy a mouse that looks like a spaceship.

edit: not that I'm afraid of my wife laughing at me. Pffft. No, sir. I'm far too manly to care about that.

Treat it well and it should treat you well c:

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited for the upcoming balance changes, not just because they're good but because it feels like it'll really open up some more pro strats. Right now pro team comps get pretty dang standard - Rein + Zarya, McCree + Reaper (defense) or Genji (offense), Lucio & Zenyatta. Depending on the map Rein might be swapped for Winston, but otherwise it's usually just like teams switching individual standard characters, you don't see many other team comps succeeding. And the balance changes really seem to be addressing this.

McCree's ult can still be huge, but not getting 50% back for cancelling it means that they won't be able to use it as such a regular zoning strategy anymore. Which in turn removes some of the importance of having a Reinhardt to defend your own team from the zone. And 76's recoil changes make him feel much more effective at range again.

Genji getting nerfed, esp his dragonblade, means he's going to be less team-wipey, which in turn reduces some of the importance of having a zenyatta who can trance out Genji's damage. Plus Lucio and Zen are both getting their signature powers reduced a bit, while Mercy is getting a boost to her healing. It probably won't uncrown Lucio + Zen as the favored combo, but it at least opens the door up for less conventional combos, making healing through damage instead of avoiding damage more of a possibility.

Mei's ult getting buffed also presents some interesting possibilities for turning her into a regular pick on offense or defense. Right now aggressive, speedy all-in dives on the other team are the favored tactic, but keeping a blizzard in your back pocket that can now pierce through shields could become a really strong deterrent.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I've had a Logitech G600 for years now, after dumping Razer because their shitty Naga mice kept succumbing to that infamous double-click issue. Aside from inevitable periodic opening and cleaning that mice typically need with extended use, it's been working like a champ.

Same. I got a G600 on sale 4 years ago and have never had to replace it as my primary gaming mouse.

• Options
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Wait, if Faze beat Rogue, why was Rogue vs Tornado the final today? Shouldn't it have been Faze v Tornado?

Faze beat Rogue, winning a trip to the next round and knocking Rogue to the lower bracket. Rogue battled through the lower bracket to win the other trip to the next round.

• Options
    Like a lot of people think of Mei as a mobile-character killer, but I think that really the exact opposite is true. Most DPS characters can actually win fights against her assuming they're shooting accurately, but Mei can absolutely destroy a lot of tanks, especially aggressive ones who try to lead the way for their team. Even if she can't kill them she can remove them from a team fight and lets your own tanks and DPS clean them up easily. Her ult change being able to pierce shields really reinforces that - it's still not going to catch a Genji or tracer, but it makes life even harder for hard charging tanks and breaks up formations.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    mei's best use as a mobile killer is randomly landing headshots on tracer

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    hushhush Registered User regular
    won't be random anymore if she's shooting logs bigger than hanzos

This is the future. This is what we built. This is what we wanted. It must have been. Because we all had the fucking choice, didn't we? It is only our money that allows commercial culture to flower. If we didn't want to live like this, we could have changed it at any time, by not fucking paying for it.

So let's celebrate by all going out and buying the same burger. -transmet
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Like a lot of people think of Mei as a mobile-character killer, but I think that really the exact opposite is true. Most DPS characters can actually win fights against her assuming they're shooting accurately, but Mei can absolutely destroy a lot of tanks, especially aggressive ones who try to lead the way for their team. Even if she can't kill them she can remove them from a team fight and lets your own tanks and DPS clean them up easily. Her ult change being able to pierce shields really reinforces that - it's still not going to catch a Genji or tracer, but it makes life even harder for hard charging tanks and breaks up formations.

Mei is an ambusher. like if she freezes a genji or tracer fine. But she's best when you can straight up OOGA BOOGA from off a ledge or from a blind spot and murder them in most miserable way possible.

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    I'm a little sad I never got to play machine gun sniper mei.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Beezel wrote: »
    Kana wrote: »

Mei is an ambusher. like if she freezes a genji or tracer fine. But she's best when you can straight up OOGA BOOGA from off a ledge or from a blind spot and murder them in most miserable way possible.

And when Mei goes dink and a Tracer falls over in one shot to a random icicle in the face
    c38.jpg

Donnicton on
  • Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    Have the Mei changes made a big impact on her hit rate? If so, she's definitely going to see some play since utility has never been her problem. She just lacked the raw DPS to compete with other picks, but with a higher alt-fire hit rate, she'll be a situational character who will likely show up frequently on certain maps.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    mei's best use as a mobile killer is randomly landing headshots on tracer

i hate it so much

98% of the time the replay confirms that she was not aiming for me at all.

just intercepting icicles with my skull.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KonphujunKonphujun Illinois, USARegistered User regular
    Competitive Overwatch would greatly benefit from more use of static cameras instead of first person. Also a flat out ban on the first person perspective of certain characters like Winston/Ulting Genji because its so twitchy and spazztastic that next to no one is going to be able to follow whats going on. I think it will get better as time goes on, but there are definitely some growing pains.

Everything: Konphujun(#1458)
  • Options
    NA region competition has started

Team Sodipop tried to go for a zenyatta free comp and are getting absolutely stomped for it

• Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Sombra isn't actually a character, at least not in the conventional sense. She is a dedicated spectator, able to just casually walk around maps and get a good look at the action for the benefit of eSports and watching games.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Aww shit, pro Hanzo

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    29j4ldnpl241.png
    What the heck is the thing on the battle.net client splash screen?

Phoenix-D on
    what.png 464.3K
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    is that sombra???

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    The hat is customizable.

• Options
    Whatever it is, it better be playable within a month or I'm asking for a refund.

• Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Click it to give it a new hat.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    29j4ldnpl241.png
    What the heck is the thing on the battle.net client splash screen?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/game/dungeon-helper/

a 5 year old world of warcraft april fool's joke

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    "I've noticed you're reading about Crabby. Would you like help learning about Crabby?"

Nice.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    OH ANOTHER FUCKING GIMMICK GAME THAT'S GREAT

• Options
    AtavisticAtavistic Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    OH ANOTHER FUCKING GIMMICK GAME THAT'S GREAT

At least 75% of the games I get now are tedious gimmick crap. Doesn't matter if it's live or PTR. PTR competitive has far more AFKers and leavers than real competitive. I hate the off-season.

• Options
    WhittledownWhittledown Registered User regular
    I hardly see any gimmick games. Maybe being on the low end of MMR has fewer bored people just messing around?

DRCdHs6.jpg?1
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I love Crabby

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    Boosted Reinhardts are scary:
    https://gfycat.com/BoldShrillIslandwhistler

Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    chrono_travellerchrono_traveller Registered User regular
    I hardly see any gimmick games. Maybe being on the low end of MMR has fewer bored people just messing around?

I think its also a function of when you play. Like Friday/Saturday evenings in this "off-season", it seems like I get a lot of college aged kids back from the bars (or at least thats how they act) trying to get peeps to play 6 man Torb on offense. :( In less peak hours, its very similar to the usual QP games I'm used to.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So it's a two month countdown for the Sombra reveal?

That feels kinda absurd for just a new character.

• Options
    The revolver for the McCree America skin is literally red, white and blue alternating barrels and shit. That's amazing.

This discussion has been closed.