As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] of the Worst

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular

It's 2016 and girls are raised with computers as much as boys and have been for some time. The issue should have self-corrected if toy marketing is to blame.

Except, in the meantime, the Computer Science community has become insular and incredibly hostile to women.

Toy Marketing was the impulse, but it led to deeper issues.

Even assuming that is true the solution is still not toy marketing.

I don't think that's what Zogg is saying. The point is this is an anecdotal case of where gendered toy marketing has produced detrimental effects.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

It's 2016 and girls are raised with computers as much as boys and have been for some time. The issue should have self-corrected if toy marketing is to blame.

Except, in the meantime, the Computer Science community has become insular and incredibly hostile to women.

Most of the time people complain about gendered toys here I feel they are to a large degree putting the cart before the horse

it maybe exacerbates it, but it's not the cause of boys liking thing A more than girls do and vice versa for thing B.

it's real common, really, in that "society tells you to" gets reduced to "what I see magazines and TV explicitly telling me" even though that is not what it's all about

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular

I never said it was?

And you don't think the computer science community is hostile to women at all?

The point of that tweet is that gendered toy marketing has had negative effects on female representation, not that the end all be all solution is to market computers exclusively to women.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    if people took their shoes off at my house they'd be in danger of losing them to the St. Bernard.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    How about I leave my shoes on and you occasionally vacuum your house, you slob.

what if I shit on your kitchen counter and you occasionally wipe it off, you slob

Never shit where you have sex.

You ain't never fucked on a toilet tho?

in

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    (but seriously though: why would you not take your shoes off in a house)

It's cultural, obviously.

• Options
    Comp Sci, at least the basics, should be a core competency. It should be a 100 level core class along with, like, Health.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Hello worlds and also Warcrafts

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    @Neco I made a demon hunter lol

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »

what if I shit on your kitchen counter and you occasionally wipe it off, you slob

Yes because those things are similar.
    40 love. Regina serve to tie the match.

I'm about to take off my clothes and run around naked to protest this shitty ref (who the fuck appointed him anyway?)
    I gave the pope a hand job. Long story short I'm reffing this weird chat verbal tennis match.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

That's funny. Such optimism for companies. :)

• Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote: »

Never shit where you have sex.

You ain't never fucked on a toilet tho?

in

Same question

:P

• Options
    I'd wager that the number one reason boys grow up to want to become certain professions and girls want to become certain others, is simply because that's how it is.

By which I mean, mimicking is basically how all socialization works. With more women who are nurses, more girls want to become nurses. Being told is not how we figure out social dynamics. We observe and mimic and internalize.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Comp Sci, at least the basics, should be a core competency. It should be a 100 level core class along with, like, Health.

Reading
    'Riting
    'Rithmetic
    Basic Healthcare/Lifestyle
    Household management
    Civics
    Computers

Sounds like a good foundation for basic contribution to society.

• Options
    @Blameless Cleric is going to college to become an animated GIF despite my attempts to turn her into a computer.

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    a pilebunker? i'm aroused

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options

There's nothing funny about it?

I mean, I guess it's sort of "funny" that people have reflexively assumed that I am denying such a problem exists. So used to everyone wanking to the same talking points that any one who pokes at them is assumed to have maximally wrong opinions.

• Options

Reading
    'Riting
    'Rithmetic
    Basic Healthcare/Lifestyle
    Household management
    Civics
    Computers

Sounds like a good foundation for basic contribution to society.

Basically, yeah.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I think gendered toy marketing has a very very small effect compared to how much focus grown ups like you lot have on it.

But, anyway, here's a possible solution: do like us, and ban all advertisements aimed at children.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    @Blameless Cleric is going to college to become an animated GIF despite my attempts to turn her into a computer.

Maybe she'll join the webm Masters course

• Options
    edited August 2016
    I'd also add "walking" and "elevators" to the list because people seem to really struggle with those basic concepts, but that's just me being smarmy.

Drez on
  • Options

I mean, I guess it's sort of "funny" that people have reflexively assumed that I am denying such a problem exists. So used to everyone wanking to the same talking points that any one who pokes at them is assumed to have maximally wrong opinions.

You're wrong!

*wanks*

• Options

Not really, like you said if it was that easy we'd have changed by now. But it isn't. They typically never change on a dime like that, even when it's in their best interests to do so.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular

Because in this context we at a party where people are vomiting? Lotta weird shit gets on the floors then

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    "Blameless Cleric" is going to college to become an animated GIF despite my attempts to turn her into a computer.

You know what she uses to make GIFs? A COMPUTER!

Which is far superior to a paper.

You succeeded, Spool.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Hello worlds and also Warcrafts

DELETE DELETE DELETE

• Options
    "A USB device has stopped working."

I have like 50 USB devices. Help me out here, Windows.

• Options
    milski wrote: »

Because in this context we at a party where people are vomiting? Lotta weird shit gets on the floors then

nobody pukes on the floor because not even the youngest there are 17

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

Is this the best party or the worst party you're throwing here?

• Options

Not really, like you said if it was that easy we'd have changed by now. But it isn't. They typically never change on a dime like that, even when it's in their best interests to do so.

That's not at all what he said

but anyway: who says it's in their best interests to change on this particular dime

the people who care are adults, for political reasons. Who are not their target audience.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I've lost two hearthstone games because we Lee entering tunnels and I lose reception

Life is pain

• Options

Is this the best party or the worst party you're throwing here?

I'm thinking parties I've been to where somebody has thrown up in the last four years

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    oh my god

trigger warning, topic is suicide. But it's hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-VRI7dcVGI

• Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    When computers first appeared no one really understood that they would grow to completely dominate our lives, jobs, business, everything.

And they were really, really expensive.

It's not really surprising to me that in the 1980's the people who got these expensive toys were a small number of affluent white boys.

I'm not sure how much marketing is to blame for that.

Beyond that, the issue cannot be addressed with toy marketing. So I do consider this little data blurb to be pretty dumb. Also I think that the odds of next years hot toy item, or the year after that, or the year after that being the next personal computer in terms of world impact to be negligible.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    @Neco I made a demon hunter lol

I have one too but I havent really played with it

are you wowing at all tomorrow? I dont think I can play at all tonight because sleep and work lol but I would like to blow off some steam tomorrow if you (or anyone in chat!) wanna

• Options
    "Blameless Cleric" is going to college to become an animated GIF despite my attempts to turn her into a computer.

You succeeded, Spool.

I didn't!

She thinks they're tools, 21st. Tools.

She doesn't love them like I do. It's just not the same!

• Options

You succeeded, Spool.

I didn't!

She thinks they're tools, 21st. Tools.

She doesn't love them like I do. It's just not the same!

I am a tool. Wait what are we talking about?

• Options
    computers are fucking annoying

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    computers are fucking annoying

Who's Annoying and why does everything fuck them?

This discussion has been closed.