As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Ryders on the Tempest

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Urge to run another Mass Effect campaign rising . . .

(after the election, because I work for a polling company)

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I always drop that Blue Suns guy out of the window, lol.

No one is too paragon for that.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Red ending

Because why would Shepard believe anything starkid has to say
    But if that's your logic, why would you believe them about the red ending?

Because it's the only one he tries to talk Shepard out of by threatening not only one of Shepard's squadmates but an entire species as well

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Red ending

Because it's the only one he tries to talk Shepard out of by threatening not only one of Shepard's squadmates but an entire species as well

He sells it too hard as a bad idea while super pushing for the other two. Sorry, Reaper puppet. You showed your hand too strongly.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Red ending

starbrat tries to talk you out of choosing red. its trying to preserve itself by saying that the reapers will die, of course, but you'll kill the geth and quarians and yourself to!
    You'll... totally keep 'living' as a blue space god or greening everything up... totally.

lets set aside the fact that red ending is the only ending that shepard lives in.

My world is being razed. Everything I am trying to protect is dying. Some knowinger-than-thou space squids that think chipper shredding organics is the light bro, y u mad? I may be a Paragon, but I would burn the galaxy to a cinder if it meant the reapers would no longer threaten and consume organic races *anywhere* is this universe.

There is no endgame if we lose this war.

I will jam that button through the floorboards because I am the Got.damned.Shepard. Who the hell do you think I am?!

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Starchild is using reverse psychology.

He knows the only way to safeguard the galaxy from further threats is with the help of synthetic allies like EDI and the Geth, and so want to trick you into killing them.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

I don't even know that I've ever seen that conversation end without him falling to his death.

I honestly don't recall that ever being resolved another way.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »

I don't even know that I've ever seen that conversation end without him falling to his death.

I honestly don't recall that ever being resolved another way.

If you don't throw him out the window you let him run away to the elevator

I think? I honestly don't remember, but I swear I let him live at least once.

I don't think the result is on Youtube...

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    You guys aren't looking at the big picture:
    You keep talking about red like Shepard won't die, but Shepard will die. Because Shepard is human, and humans die.

Blue is the only ending where Shepard never dies.
    Shepard is a vanguard of humanity, a representation of humanity at its best (or worst). One thing that makes us human is our mortality.

What? Vanguards don't die.

After hundreds of hours of MP, they die quite a lot. Your average vanguard is like a lemming with a jetpack... still makes me giggle at all the LOL Nope moments when they would get shanked or grabbed. :)

• Options
    starbrat tries to talk you out of choosing red. its trying to preserve itself by saying that the reapers will die, of course, but you'll kill the geth and quarians and yourself to!
    You'll... totally keep 'living' as a blue space god or greening everything up... totally.

None of that is actually true though.

He says if you choose red, all synthetics (meaning EDI and the Geth) will absolutely die, and you might also die, depending on how cyborgy you are.

He says if you choose blue, your physical body will be destroyed, but he doesn't consider that to be dying in any meaningful way.

And he's very clear that if you choose green, you will be completely and totally dead. He doesn't mince words about that. You're entering a river of energy that's going to tear your body into bits scatter you like dust all over space. Your bits may still be around, but you, Fauntleroy Shepard, the person, will be gone forever.

And the whole argument is moot anyway, since the player can see the consequences of each ending to personally confirm whether he's telling the truth or not. We don't actually see all synthetics dying in the red ending, so the only evidence we have of that is their absence. But we can confirm that the blue and green endings play out pretty much like he said they would.

• Options
    The best Vanguard is Volus Vanguard with Batarian Gauntlet.

Just keep pushing the charge button over and over again and if your cooldown does trigger just punch a fool and then charge some more. I think my best record was something like 14 charges before getting a CD.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    The best Vanguard is Volus Vanguard with Batarian Gauntlet.

Just keep pushing the charge button over and over again and if your cooldown does trigger just punch a fool and then charge some more. I think my best record was something like 14 charges before getting a CD.

Volus rocket junk punch is best punch

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular

None of that is actually true though.

He says if you choose red, all synthetics (meaning EDI and the Geth) will absolutely die, and you might also die, depending on how cyborgy you are.

He says if you choose blue, your physical body will be destroyed, but he doesn't consider that to be dying in any meaningful way.

And he's very clear that if you choose green, you will be completely and totally dead. He doesn't mince words about that. You're entering a river of energy that's going to tear your body into bits scatter you like dust all over space. Your bits may still be around, but you, Fauntleroy Shepard, the person, will be gone forever.

And the whole argument is moot anyway, since the player can see the consequences of each ending to personally confirm whether he's telling the truth or not. We don't actually see all synthetics dying in the red ending, so the only evidence we have of that is their absence. But we can confirm that the blue and green endings play out pretty much like he said they would.

I'll concede I may be misremembering, but it doesn't change the fact that I smash the red button because fuck reapers that's why. :P

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    The worst thing about ME2/3 is the creepy sexual harassment deal between the two humans in engineering. Fuuuuck that.

• Options
    Rainfall wrote: »
    The worst thing about ME2/3 is the creepy sexual harassment deal between the two humans in engineering. Fuuuuck that.

I never thought about it like that before, but you've got a point.

The guy keeps making lewd jokes about other women in front of the girl, even though it clearly annoys her.

And the girl keeps pressuring the guy to go out with her, even though he's clearly hesitant. Shepard can even order him to do so against his will!

It's pretty skeevy all around.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    It's almost like soldiers talk about who they're going to bang constantly.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    It's almost like friends that know each others for years don't irritate each other for shit and giggles.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    That is exactly what friends who've known eachother for years do.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I mean, yeah, i was trying to be sarcastic.

I failed.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Was anyone else annoyed by instadeath kills in ME3?

I know they were for added challenge but it always sucked not being able to escape them.

At least give me the option to button mash my way out of it, instead of waiting for a teammate to revive me.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »

I know they were for added challenge but it always sucked not being able to escape them.

At least give me the option to button mash my way out of it, instead of waiting for a teammate to revive me.

Yeah, I tried doing a melee sentinel run once.

Instant kills made that hard.

Tech armor.

• Options
    Heatwave wrote: »

No, we were all fine with it. Nobody ever played instadeath-proof classes for that reason alone.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Playing some ME3 multiplayer recently vanguards are still the asses of the squad, running full blast into spawns and dying and expecting a revive and then when others don't get them after the third time because it just creates a spiral of death and revives they quit the match.

This is why soldier 4 life, the role, it is known.

• Options
    The sync-kills were never a huge issue for me.

Except on the days that they were fiddling with the balance and brutes got vacuum hands.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Or you lagged slightly.
    Or someone dragged a handful of them onto you from behind.
    Or you were on the higher difficulties and you either got sync killed, or left cover and got instantly swiss-cheesed.

Not a fan of insta-kills in most fashions, it's a cheap way to add difficulty.
    Although I guess in general, I just didn't really like the higher difficulties of the MP, it never felt challenging, just cheap.

• Options
    I dunno. I guess it could just have been that I insisted on running Vanguards or melee Sentinels almost exclusively in MP, but I never felt like the instakills were anything but hugely telegraphed.

When they messed with ranges and stuff it would throw me for a couple of rounds, but most of the time I'd roll around just out of range while shotgunning away.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Yeah, I don't think they were that big of a deal, outside of when you would get those micro lag hiccups and they grabbed you while rolling away, on bronze/silver, and usually gold. Platinum was definitely just never fun for me.

Maybe because I tended towards adepts, so pretty much everything was insta-kill. Although I think that was true of everything outside of like the Geth Juggernaut which I still never managed to unlock, and the Krogan guy.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I have yet to unlock a Lancer.

Arsenal pack, more leik arse-enal pack m i rite gang?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

Random Number Generator? More like Fuck-you Number Generator.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ending discussion:
    Destroy talks about wiping out the Geth and EDI, even if there's arguments as to whether or not that actually happens in hindsight, going by what the game says that's tough.

Synthesis has the usual problems with violating bodily integrity of *everything and everyone*. Biotics have always been 'Space Magic', but that gets weird.

Control is the ending I want to like, I want to appreciate the idea of Shepard living (in a way) forever, using the Reapers to rebuild, to protect worlds, to disseminate their knowledge and resources to improve life. It's also a tacit admission that TIM was right, even if he wasn't the right guy for it. WE JUST WENT OVER THIS! Yes he was indoctrinated, but we had an epic verbal showdown and he gets shot or shoots himself. Riding up an elevator and saying "yup, on second thought sure let's do this thing" doesn't sit quite right for me.

Deny is kind of funny (in giving a voice to the FUCK YOU NO crowd) but I was hoping for an ending where my friends and I went on an epic rampage to have songs sung about it for centuries to come and came out victorious (if with losses), not "oh well, someone cool down the stasis chambers, time to start loading up the Arks".

I didn't need for it to be a super happy ending by default, but even if it was a massive amount of work across the trilogy to pull off, I had wanted there to at least be a chance for the crew to ride off into the sunset. Thus, the extended cut gives me most of what I'm seeking, but man did that original ending not do it for me.

As for sync kills, even knowing how they worked and rarely being caught by them myself, I agree about wishing there was a better way. Being able to at least pull your sidearm and have a few seconds to try to drop the enemy, or a QTE (lets be real, it'd be to mash the spacebar, spacebar does everything, at least on PC) to fight/extend the time frame your team has to save you, would've been nice.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    Ending talk:
    All this talk about Destroy being tough, sacrifing too much...

I don't know about you fellas, but I went into ME3 thinking we were going to repeat the ending of Arrival several times over. That we might have to destroy multiple mass relays and surrounding solar systems in order to have a real shot at defeating the reapers. And I would've.

I went into final mission thinking I might have to blow up Earth to save the galaxy. And I would've.

I would've sacrificed 99% of all galactic life in order to destroy the Reapers. The (possible!) sacrifice of EDI and the Geth is regrettable, but both signed up for my fight against the Reapers, and I honestly felt we got off easy in terms of sacrifice.

Frankly I think the Blue and Green endings should've never been on the table. All endings should be Destroy (or fail), with Shepard deciding how to defeat the Reapers, and what to sacrifice in the process. Do you destroy Earth once the Reapers are clustered there, dooming humanity to save the rest of galactic civilisation? Or do you blow up several Mass Relays elsewhere after drawing the Reapers there, sacrificing significantly more lives but assuring humanity's dominance after the Reaper defeat? Or are you unable to make the hard choices throughout the game, leaving too many Reapers and failing in your quest?

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Random Number Generator? More like Fuck-you Number Generator.

Still haven't even unlocked the Black Widow

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I assume we are all playing the LEGION expansion for WORLD OF WARCRAFT ? If not, here's a shout-out to the Engineering profession in LEGION, which requires inventing and then spending a long quest chain calibrating a variety of weapons. Needs more calibration !

• Options
    Ending talk:

I don't know about you fellas, but I went into ME3 thinking we were going to repeat the ending of Arrival several times over. That we might have to destroy multiple mass relays and surrounding solar systems in order to have a real shot at defeating the reapers. And I would've.

I went into final mission thinking I might have to blow up Earth to save the galaxy. And I would've.

I would've sacrificed 99% of all galactic life in order to destroy the Reapers. The (possible!) sacrifice of EDI and the Geth is regrettable, but both signed up for my fight against the Reapers, and I honestly felt we got off easy in terms of sacrifice.

Frankly I think the Blue and Green endings should've never been on the table. All endings should be Destroy (or fail), with Shepard deciding how to defeat the Reapers, and what to sacrifice in the process. Do you destroy Earth once the Reapers are clustered there, dooming humanity to save the rest of galactic civilisation? Or do you blow up several Mass Relays elsewhere after drawing the Reapers there, sacrificing significantly more lives but assuring humanity's dominance after the Reaper defeat? Or are you unable to make the hard choices throughout the game, leaving too many Reapers and failing in your quest?

As far as that goes, the problem is less the specific options and consequences thereof (though they're still a mess), and more the context of the choice.
    In ME1, it makes a good deal of sense that you can bring in the human fleets now and save the Destiny Ascension at the risk of losing several frigates, or sacrifice the Council to save your strength for Sovereign. In ME2, the loyalties of each squaddie make a significant difference in who survives - people are either part of the unified team, or they're worried about their daddy issues and not at the top of their game. In ME3, nothing you did in the rest of the trilogy matters in any way, and suddenly there's this entirely new character with a bizarre appearance claiming to speak for all the Reapers. If the choice had been between, say, detonating the Charon Relay to destroy Earth, the allied fleets, and the Reapers on the one hand, and desperately trying to fine-tune the Crucible so that it only shut down Reaper technology, that would have been equally drastic but at least somewhat more coherent.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Ending talk:

Agreed, this is what I thought, too
    With the addition that I thought you'd have to make a series of choices similar to the Virmire choice, between saving this civilization and that one. Save Palaven or the Migrant fleet, and with that choice goes saving Garrus or Tali. If you save Garrus, Tali goes to die with her people, if you save Tali, Garrus does the same. And I thought the final choice would absolutely involve destroying earth or not, where saving earth means dooming the galaxy in the long run.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Oh absolutely, it would've been narratively stronger not to have blue and green in the game. But with them in-game, they are, in-universe, better options than red.

• Options
    Oh absolutely, it would've been narratively stronger not to have blue and green in the game. But with them in-game, they are, in-universe, better options than red.
    I respectfully disagree!

• Options
    PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Even within that context, Destroy is the option that makes the most sense.

We're talking about a broken AI that has systematically destroyed trillions upon trillions of lives, every cycle. It is insane and genocidal.

I am certainly not fusing my own mind with that. I am definitely not going to magically link it up to all life in the galaxy, so that everyone "understands" the insane AI better. I'm going to do whatever I can to remove the biggest threat to all galactic life from the picture, and I am taking no chances. I am going to avenge the literally countless of lives lost to the Reapers throughout the ages.

PreciousBodilyFluids on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Even within that context, Destroy is the option that makes the most sense.

We're talking about a broken AI that has systematically destroyed trillions upon trillions of lives, every cycle. It is insane and genocidal.

I am certainly not fusing my own mind with that. I am definitely not going to magically link it up to all life in the galaxy, so that everyone "understands" the insane AI better. I'm going to do whatever I can to remove the biggest threat to all galactic life from the picture, and I am taking no chances. I am going to avenge the literally countless of lives lost to the Reapers throughout the ages.
    Perhaps if you fused with the reaper hivemind, they could teach you to count that high.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    Revenge is a fool's game.

Giving up ultimate power for revenge is an exceptionally foolish game.