As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Ryders on the Tempest

• Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Vorcha are super fun melee characters for multiplayer since they have a great OHK animation that stumbles/decapitates enemies and for larger enemies the regular melee loops suuuuuuper fast so your damage output is actually really absurd against enemies like Brutes and Banshees

Of course, in order to melee Brutes and Banshees you have to get into a mindset opposite of that of most sensible characters, ie. like a Vorcha.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Revenge is a fool's game.

Giving up ultimate power for revenge is an exceptionally foolish game.

Giving up yourself for ultimate power is pretty foolish, too.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

You discard a shell that you no longer need, nothing more.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

No, the Starkid says straight up you won't be yourself any more.

• Options

He says you won't be organic anymore, and because of that you won't be able to relate to organics in the same way you did before, but that's a far cry from being a different person.

And we know Shepard is still Shepard after the blue ending because he gives a whole monologue about it.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

It's also not really ultimate power, since you were just there. About to destroy it.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    He says you won't be organic anymore, and because of that you won't be able to relate to organics in the same way you did before, but that's a far cry from being a different person.

And we know Shepard is still Shepard after the blue ending because he gives a whole monologue about it.
    You mean the robovoice monologue that's explicitly a different entity talking about how "through her death, I was created" or that it's guided by Shepard's thoughts (not her own thoughts)? A speech that only grows more ominous in the renegade version?

At least we can be certain that giant immortal AI monsters whose very presence (even dead) passively warps the minds of organics could neeeeever come up with a crazy solution to a problem even if given hundreds of thousands of years to mull it over. Again. I mean, it definitely won't happen again.

Totally worth giving up the best shot to destroy them and giving them the memories of the soldier who came closest to beating them, though!

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Made a promise to Jack, picked Red. Now we can take the Normandy and go pirating.

sig.gif
  • Options

You mean the robovoice monologue that's explicitly a different entity talking about how "through her death, I was created" or that it's guided by Shepard's thoughts (not her own thoughts)? A speech that only grows more ominous in the renegade version?

At least we can be certain that giant immortal AI monsters whose very presence (even dead) passively warps the minds of organics could neeeeever come up with a crazy solution to a problem even if given hundreds of thousands of years to mull it over. Again. I mean, it definitely won't happen again.

Totally worth giving up the best shot to destroy them and giving them the memories of the soldier who came closest to beating them, though!

Shepard muses on the lesser being he once was in a poetic fashion. Such is the proclivity of the divine.

Just the fact that it's the only ending that even has different paragon and renegade versions is a testament to the fact that it's also the only ending where Shepard's previous choices make a difference in the outcome.

Will the now ascended Shepard become just as monstrous as the Reapers whose role he has subsumed? Does it matter? He singlehandedly dragged an ungrateful and useless galaxy of idiots to salvation. He is the only one who deserves to have any right in saying how it should be run afterwards.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Shepard muses on the lesser being he once was in a poetic fashion. Such is the proclivity of the divine.

Just the fact that it's the only ending that even has different paragon and renegade versions is a testament to the fact that it's also the only ending where Shepard's previous choices make a difference in the outcome.

Will the now ascended Shepard become just as monstrous as the Reapers whose role he has subsumed? Does it matter? He singlehandedly dragged an ungrateful and useless galaxy of idiots to salvation. He is the only one who deserves to have any right in saying how it should be run afterwards.

That sounds like the Illusive Man speaking...

• Options
    Orca wrote: »

That sounds like the Illusive Man speaking...
    govqowx8irjj.gif

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

"You will die and lose everything you have" Seems pretty explicit that you won't be Shepard anymore? I don't know how Space Orphan could be any more explicit than that.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Cambiata wrote: »

"You will die and lose everything you have" Seems pretty explicit that you won't be Shepard anymore? I don't know how Space Orphan could be any more explicit than that.

Does a person's body or possessions make them who they are?

"Your thoughts and even your memories will continue." That's the part that matters.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    It seems like there's not continuity of consciousness. So, Shep dies, but something identical to them is created.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »
    It seems like there's not continuity of consciousness. So, Shep dies, but something identical to them is created.

But something that thinks of themselves as Shepard is created. It's a not so subtle difference. :)

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Cambiata wrote: »

Does a person's body or possessions make them who they are?

"Your thoughts and even your memories will continue." That's the part that matters.

How is the statement "you will die and lose everything you have" compatible with "your thoughts and even your memories will continue"? I don't know about you, but I would interpret "losing everything" as also encompassing my thoughts and memories...

In other words, what it's sounding like is that Starkid is going to kill you...but will totally make a copy/paste of your memories and distribute that backup folder with all of Reaperkind.
    cB557 wrote: »

But something that thinks of themselves as Shepard is created. It's a not so subtle difference. :)

And now you've made me want to rewatch the HARDAC episodes from Batman: TAS. Time to dig out some DVDs >.<

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    It's the same thing as my feelings on Star Trek-style teleportation. Sure maybe there's a copy of me running around acting and thinking exactly like I do, but i'm dead and have been ever since I was atomized.

• Options
    "Are we more than our thoughts?" -Enhanced Defense Intelligence

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Are they our thoughts is the question. I don't think this is the same as uploading yourself into a computer. I don't trust the reaper AI not to tamper, intentionally or not.

LD50 on
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Ending talk
    destroy is a stop gap solution to stop the reapers at the cost of the rest of synthetic life in the galaxy. Yeah. it stops THIS example of organic vs synthetic but it doesn't end the problem once and for all. The organic vs synthetic conflict will happen again, but next time the synthetics will have evidence that organics will throw them to the wolves when it suits them.

Green resolves the issue, in the most blunt force way possible.

it ain't great, but it's better than the alternatives.

Karl on
  • Options
    Despite their many flaws the one good thing about the endings is it seems that everyone has exactly one ending that makes sense for them, and surprisingly, all three of the endings have their defenders.

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    This line of thought makes me think I've stumbled into an M. Night Shyamalan movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVoU30ixHrM

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Despite their many flaws the one good thing about the endings is it seems that everyone has exactly one ending that makes sense for them, and surprisingly, all three of the endings have their defenders.

All four of them.

Rorschach ending!

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    "Are we more than our thoughts?"

Yes.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    The more strongly people reject Blue the more fond of it I become :D It's not contrariness, it's just the arguments opposed to it very much underline how unique my perception of the Shep I created is.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Speaking of blue things, lets talk about how awesome the Asari are!

Just watched a video on the topic of if they're a galactic parasite that strengthens their own species at the cost of the species that mate with.

Are they mind controlling us into thinking they're attractive and resemble our species?

If there are statues or drawing of them looking human-like, could it just be due to the extent of their mind controlling powers? Able to reach far away planets to alter their appearance.

Could the reality we're experiencing just be the matrix?

I for one welcome our insect overlords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lcUHQYhPTE

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    the very first time i got to the end i could see no reason not to pick control. i still struggle to see why not to be honest, cause theres no reason that once you have all the reaps as squidpuppets you couldnae just fly them into a black hole or something and thereby achieve all the good bits of the red ending without knocking off the geth etc

plus you could get to, i dunno, use the reaper beams to draw a giant willy on the moon or something if you fancy before getting rid of them. i mean theoretically. my friend said

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Agusalim wrote: »
    the very first time i got to the end i could see no reason not to pick control. i still struggle to see why not to be honest, cause theres no reason that once you have all the reaps as squidpuppets you couldnae just fly them into a black hole or something and thereby achieve all the good bits of the red ending without knocking off the geth etc

plus you could get to, i dunno, use the reaper beams to draw a giant willy on the moon or something if you fancy before getting rid of them. i mean theoretically. my friend said

tickmooncha_847.png

• Options
    Heatwave wrote: »

Just watched a video on the topic of if they're a galactic parasite that strengthens their own species at the cost of the species that mate with.

Are they mind controlling us into thinking they're attractive and resemble our species?

If there are statues or drawing of them looking human-like, could it just be due to the extent of their mind controlling powers? Able to reach far away planets to alter their appearance.

One of the things that disappoints me about the Asari is how great it would be if they had different body types depending on their parentage.

Krogan-sired Asari should be naturally muscular, and Elcor-sired Asari even more so. Volus-sired Asari should be short and chubby. Vorcha-sired Asari should be tall and lanky, with pronounced canine teeth. Salarian-sired Asari should have scalp crests that come to two points in the back instead of one.

Their unique method of reproduction makes them one of the most genetically diverse species in the galaxy, yet their appearance is one of the most homogeneous.

I understand that the real reason for why this can't be the case is the massive expense inherent in creating 12 different models just for the Asari alone, but it's still one of the reasons why I consider the idea behind their species to be half-baked at best.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »

One of the things that disappoints me about the Asari is how great it would be if they had different body types depending on their parentage.

Krogan-sired Asari should be naturally muscular, and Elcor-sired Asari even more so. Volus-sired Asari should be short and chubby. Vorcha-sired Asari should be tall and lanky, with pronounced canine teeth. Salarian-sired Asari should have scalp crests that come to two points in the back instead of one.

Their unique method of reproduction makes them one of the most genetically diverse species in the galaxy, yet their appearance is one of the most homogeneous.

I understand that the real reason for why this can't be the case is the massive expense inherent in creating 12 different models just for the Asari alone, but it's still one of the reasons why I consider the idea behind their species to be half-baked at best.

That might be what they're going for with the Andromeda Asari. Dunno what it is about her, but she looks... different..

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Man, I'm thinking about how completely messed up the Asari could have gone in Andromeda, and I wonder if it's in the game.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    This thread has been so full of cool discussion lately, good times in the ME series to remember aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I'm reinstalling ME3 how did this happen I blacked out hello

• Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    So, do all Asari have penis's, and vagina's? What is going on with their genitalia?

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Don't ask.

Trust me on that one.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Jedi_Boi wrote: »
    So, do all Asari have penis's, and vagina's? What is going on with their genitalia?

slug umbrella sex.jpg

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    Strikor wrote: »
    Don't ask.

Trust me on that one.

Seriously. The last time a mod came down fairly hard. Let's not go there.

Orca on
  • Options
    StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Oh I'm sure there will be more.

All those new species in Andromeda with entirely new sweat breakdowns!

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I just hope there are more romance options like Morinth.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I mean, without getting gross, we know they actually have children (because I believe something like laying eggs would have been mentioned), so there'd have to be the requisite biology to support that. As far as the actual act of procreation, I would imagine they do some variation of the "embrace eternity" thing with little to no actual physical contact because otherwise a female (or another Asari) couldn't be the non-pregnant parent.

And that's about as far as I'm going to go on that subject.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Asari - Asari have some mind sex and then babies are born.

Asari - not Asari meanwhile have to be able to have physical sex, because otherwise other races wouldn't be so crazy about them? Sorry, im not gonna belive that everyone loves them platonically, world doesn't work that way.

... unless conspiracy theory about Asari pheromones brainwashing other races into loving them is true...