As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Ryders on the Tempest

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    This is why you just stick to humans.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Why even go to space if that's all you're gonna do?

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    On second thought, let's not go to space.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    On second thought, let's not go to space.

Let's go to the aquarium!

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    do Asari have belly buttons?

Oh brilliant
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    do Asari have belly buttons?

Yes.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Of course, as far as we know that's only because the Asari model is the human female model with a custom head.

Unless it was gone over in a codex at some point or something and I missed it, I wouldn't read too much into that.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I would feel bad about speculating on Asari smush capabilities because of all the rumours n' libel about them in universe already. Also cause it's kinda creepy and weird I guess!

Oh brilliant
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Heatwave wrote: »
    Was anyone else annoyed by instadeath kills in ME3?

I know they were for added challenge but it always sucked not being able to escape them.

At least give me the option to button mash my way out of it, instead of waiting for a teammate to revive me.

Banshee and Brutes are scary at first, but easily neutered in single player. Priority Earth can be tricky, but all you need is to pause time to plan an escape vector that takes you away from the instant kill units, and out of the Reaper's line of fire.
    cB557 wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Why even go to space if that's all you're gonna do?

I get some people think "humans are boring," but in science fiction, there are like, less than ten major series I can name off hand that have ONLY humans in them. Compared with a bijillion that just has the lazy Star Trek, "These are our humans who embodied a certain human concept... I mean *COUGH* ALIENS!".

manwiththemachinegun on
  • BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Man I remember (or maybe misremember?) in one of the earlier ME3 interviews about the Reaper designs about how they were planning to give Banshees even more body horror gameplay elements by having them sploosh out additional enemies if you shot them in the gut enough times.

Man, fuck that shit

I would feel bad about speculating on Asari smush capabilities because of all the rumours n' libel about them in universe already. Also cause it's kinda creepy and weird I guess!

If the Asari want people to stop saying they'll brain bang anything that moves, then they should probably stop doing exactly that.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    does this unit have a belly button?

*gets a hole punch.*

It does now!

• DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Despite their many flaws the one good thing about the endings is it seems that everyone has exactly one ending that makes sense for them, and surprisingly, all three of the endings have their defenders.

I'm just glad we have something to argue about other then ending being just red/blue/green shift of same sequence

• MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    So you are saying blue is the worst ending?

• hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Morkath wrote: »
    So you are saying blue is the worst ending?

No, just the sexiest ending :winky:

hippofant on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Green is best for Quarians suffering an existential crisis again.

9KmX8eN.jpg
    I get some people think "humans are boring," but in science fiction, there are like, less than ten major series I can name off hand that have ONLY humans in them. Compared with a bijillion that just has the lazy Star Trek, "These are our humans who embodied a certain human concept... I mean *COUGH* ALIENS!".

I try to cut sci-fi writers some slack with that. Since all their stories are about humans, we don't get to spend enough time with the alien races to give any of them more than a purely one-dimensional culture.

What I do hate is when this is used as yet another reason to portray humanity as superior to everything else in the galaxy. Star Trek used to do this constantly. "The Vulcans are too cold and unfeeling, but the Klingons are too irrational and hotheaded. The Borg are too collectivist, but the Ferengi are too individualist. Only we humans can teach these extremist aliens the uniquely human virtue of moderation."

Humans in sci-fi settings are like those intellectually lazy cowards who constantly poke holes in everyone else's opinions about everything but never adopt any opinions of their own.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Ending talk
    destroy is a stop gap solution to stop the reapers at the cost of the rest of synthetic life in the galaxy. Yeah. it stops THIS example of organic vs synthetic but it doesn't end the problem once and for all. The organic vs synthetic conflict will happen again, but next time the synthetics will have evidence that organics will throw them to the wolves when it suits them.

Green resolves the issue, in the most blunt force way possible.

it ain't great, but it's better than the alternatives.

Stopgap?

Here is what happens. The Reapers are fucking dead.

That's the problem sorted right there!

Listening to them on what the real problem is? Crazy to start. And then you can listen to, I dunno, Javik for an alternative even if you believe their crap. The Protheans ran into an Organic V. Synthetic hustle before the Reapers.

Organics won. Prothy the Prothean killed his toaster and learned how to use a fire and a stick again, and that was the end of it until the Reapers came around.

Javik: Just because he's an asshole, doesn't mean his ideas are worse than the genocidal space squids.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Yeah, I always figured that on some level
    Blue was the Reapers themselves convincing Shepard to free them from their programming. Not in an Indoctrination Theory way, but so that they would also be free from the Cycle, even if it meant being under control of a new dictator. They weren't able to overcome their own programming, so they would have to rely on some outside force to break it for them, but without killing them in the process.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    Man, I loaded up sw:battlefront to see what had been added since the last time I played, since I stupidly bought the season pass for it.

If EA puts that DLC model into this game, I am going to punch someone in the junk. All the new dlc weapons are locked behind a bunch of stupid challenges that you have to pay in game currency just to get the privilege of trying to meet the conditions to actually get the content you paid for.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

I try to cut sci-fi writers some slack with that. Since all their stories are about humans, we don't get to spend enough time with the alien races to give any of them more than a purely one-dimensional culture.

What I do hate is when this is used as yet another reason to portray humanity as superior to everything else in the galaxy. Star Trek used to do this constantly. "The Vulcans are too cold and unfeeling, but the Klingons are too irrational and hotheaded. The Borg are too collectivist, but the Ferengi are too individualist. Only we humans can teach these extremist aliens the uniquely human virtue of moderation."

Humans in sci-fi settings are like those intellectually lazy cowards who constantly poke holes in everyone else's opinions about everything but never adopt any opinions of their own.

You know what series completely avoided that? Babylon 5.

Humans are a part of the galactic community, but not an over powering or especially unique one. Humans pitch in, make bad mistakes, and generally act like an active political body dealing with other active political bodies with their own agendas and rivalries.

manwiththemachinegun on
    edited September 2016
    They did end up becoming the "Saviors" near the end though. The series definitely handled it better overall than most others.

damn, why does prime have all of star trek, but not babylon 5 available for streaming.

Morkath on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I like the way humans are portrayed in Old Man's War: we're super aggressive, really good at making war, and considered entirely untrustworthy.

To be fair, we earned it by coming on the galactic scene and immediately beginning a continual 300 year long blitzkrieg against everyone in the surrounding area.

• El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    3clipse wrote: »
    I like the way humans are portrayed in Old Man's War: we're super aggressive, really good at making war, and considered entirely untrustworthy.

To be fair, we earned it by coming on the galactic scene and immediately beginning a continual 300 year long blitzkrieg against everyone in the surrounding area.

If there is a galactic community and if humans ever make it into it, I really feel bad for whomever or whatever has to put up with our shit. Because we will literally ruin everything.

El Mucho on
    BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
    edited September 2016
    Pfft, to be fair. I seriously doubt that other races wouldn't be exactly the same as us. Just with blue skin, or bug eyes or whatever. Some with that third arm so they can hold an extra gun.

Socially, they are going to turn out exactly the same as us, unless they evolved on an eden class planet with no other life forms at any point, and never developed religion.

Morkath on
    Man, I loaded up sw:battlefront to see what had been added since the last time I played, since I stupidly bought the season pass for it.

If EA puts that DLC model into this game, I am going to punch someone in the junk. All the new dlc weapons are locked behind a bunch of stupid challenges that you have to pay in game currency just to get the privilege of trying to meet the conditions to actually get the content you paid for.

Since EA will no doubt have to have some sort of monetary microtransactions for multiplayer, I'd like them to stick to the ME3 method. Free DLC updates, and crates are able to be earned through play at an actually reasonable rate.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Ok, decided to download all three and do a clean run, since all of my saves melted with my last HD anyway, lol. One problem I am finding is that Origin is not showing my DLC purchases correctly. I know I had Kasumi and Shadow Broker, however they both show up as me needing to buy points to get them. How do I go about getting my stuff back without having to buy it again?

Krieghund wrote: »
    Ok, decided to download all three and do a clean run, since all of my saves melted with my last HD anyway, lol. One problem I am finding is that Origin is not showing my DLC purchases correctly. I know I had Kasumi and Shadow Broker, however they both show up as me needing to buy points to get them. How do I go about getting my stuff back without having to buy it again?

Talk to EA?

I don't even know that I have proof. Nothing online is telling me I have it and it's been years since I bought it in the first place. I don't expect they'll take my word for it.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    I don't even know that I have proof. Nothing online is telling me I have it and it's been years since I bought it in the first place. I don't expect they'll take my word for it.

Took me a while, but I found it. Log in to the Bioware Social Network with your origin ID and go to this page:

https://social.bioware.com/user_entitlements.php

It should have download links for all the ME2 DLC that you own.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    I had found that place earlier by going through the Cerberus Network in ME2s title page. Wasn't there either. Though I did find my Zaeed DL there. So strange.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Since EA will no doubt have to have some sort of monetary microtransactions for multiplayer, I'd like them to stick to the ME3 method. Free DLC updates, and crates are able to be earned through play at an actually reasonable rate.

Once you unlock a gun, allowing you to spend creds at some high rate directly on upgrades would be the non-shit lord way to go about it.

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Once you unlock a gun, allowing you to spend creds at some high rate directly on upgrades would be the non-shit lord way to go about it.

Something like this at least please

Because I'm ok with a RNG system but I would have literally paid 10 million credits to just unlock the Black Widow.

• AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    as far as i can tell the store in me3 was a big success for them, in the sense that it paid for a lot more support for mp than they were expecting. there was a fair amount of player grumbling but it didnae seem to hurt the cashflow

i cannae see them changing it that much. something like what youre suggesting is a semi-plausible tweak but i widnae hold my breath - i mean, whats the benefit from bw's pov?

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I played 600+ hours of multiplayer and didn't spend a cent, even though I was willing to do so. Just not on random packages.

If they had $10 starter packs that contained one rank in every character and weapon per expansion, I would've bought them every time.

• PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Ending.
    "The essence of who and what you are" sure is a damn phrasing. Will everyone start wearing N7-hoodies?

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    PLA wrote: »
    Ending.
    "The essence of who and what you are" sure is a damn phrasing. Will everyone start wearing N7-hoodies?

I'm thinking
    Shepard Shuffle.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Ending talk
    destroy is a stop gap solution to stop the reapers at the cost of the rest of synthetic life in the galaxy. Yeah. it stops THIS example of organic vs synthetic but it doesn't end the problem once and for all. The organic vs synthetic conflict will happen again, but next time the synthetics will have evidence that organics will throw them to the wolves when it suits them.

Stopgap?

Listening to them on what the real problem is? Crazy to start. And then you can listen to, I dunno, Javik for an alternative even if you believe their crap. The Protheans ran into an Organic V. Synthetic hustle before the Reapers.

Organics won. Prothy the Prothean killed his toaster and learned how to use a fire and a stick again, and that was the end of it until the Reapers came around.

Javik: Just because he's an asshole, doesn't mean his ideas are worse than the genocidal space squids.
    killing the reapers stops this one example of organic vs synthetic. But for extra "synthetics are not really considered sentient so who gives a fuck if they die as well" fun, you toss away the Geth and EDI.

Just because the protheans beat their synthetic opponents, doesn't mean the that will happen each time there is a Organic V. Synthetic fight.

The reapers were a really shitty way of handling this philosophical argument but Destroy with synthetic collateral damage is just as shitty. It will just perpetuate the idea that synthetic life is not as valuable as organic and push comes to shove, they're an acceptable loss.

• PreciousBodilyFluidsPreciousBodilyFluids Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Ending talk

Stopgap?

killing the reapers stops this one example of organic vs synthetic. But for extra "synthetics are not really considered sentient so who gives a fuck if they die as well" fun, you toss away the Geth and EDI.

Just because the protheans beat their synthetic opponents, doesn't mean the that will happen each time there is a Organic V. Synthetic fight.

The reapers were a really shitty way of handling this philosophical argument but Destroy with synthetic collateral damage is just as shitty. It will just perpetuate the idea that synthetic life is not as valuable as organic and push comes to shove, they're an acceptable loss.
    I would have thrown any other race under the bus to destroy the Reapers.

Considering EDI and the Geth were both allies, and a peace agreement had just been reached, the whole concept is behind the Reapers' creation is false and dumb.

Don't forget that this was the conclusion made by an evil underwater race who mind-dominated other organics, and then created an omnicidal AI to put a stop to them getting killed by AI's.

That's A) A highly specific context to base conclusions on regarding the inevitability of AI genocide. As in, it's not actually inevitable, as proven in this cycle.
    And B) Also the biggest mistake the Leviathans ever made, by their own admission.

Do not trust the insane, broken, genocidal AI on its logic, or anything else. Do not allow the greatest threat to everything to live, or to change the very fabric of everyone's being are you insane.