As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect: Andromeda] Ryders on the Tempest

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Just played a bit of me3 multi. The gunplay is... A bit jarring after playing overwatch since release. I hope I haven't spoilt myself for other shooters..

Think there is maybe a couple chars I do serious gunplay on. Detonations are just too festive to resist for me. Even soldiers get their boom on with ammo to prime and concussive/carnage to keep the beat.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Just played a bit of me3 multi. The gunplay is... A bit jarring after playing overwatch since release. I hope I haven't spoilt myself for other shooters..

... it's a cover-based shooter, I'd be concerned if you didn't find any appreciable difference between the two games.

True, and that's okay! It's just that it feels so clunky compared, but it's a harsh comparison. Overwatch is one of the smoothest feeling shooters I've played since... Dunno. Quake 3?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    DreadBert wrote: »

Think there is maybe a couple chars I do serious gunplay on. Detonations are just too festive to resist for me. Even soldiers get their boom on with ammo to prime and concussive/carnage to keep the beat.

Yeah, true.. ME is more skill based, and I do think the multi will be a smoother and more polished experience nowadays, it's now as if they're living behind a rock.

My friend list on origin is still pretty full from me 3 mp back in the day, hope Andromeda will be as fun as that was back then

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Comparing a game on previous architecture to a modern one isn't fair. I mean the shooting for ME evolved dramatically from 1 to 3, we can assume Andromeda will have an equal evolution.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    WolveSight wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Did Microsoft ever get that thing straight where people on Xbone could play multi with people on PC? I remember reading about that but I haven't heard about it in a while.

EDIT: Asking because I plan to play on PC but I have a friend who'd go Xbone. Would be nice if Microsoft finally let us play together.

some games have had it, but not many yet. It's still in trial runs.

Considering the shrieking coming from console overwatch players facing folks runing mouse/kbd adapters I can't see it getting much acceptance.

Surely it being purely cooperative would change that for some?

At least, I assume that ME:A will be purely coop.

Yes, I know some people would bitch anyway, but the sensible among us wouldn't care.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Forar wrote: »
    Did Microsoft ever get that thing straight where people on Xbone could play multi with people on PC? I remember reading about that but I haven't heard about it in a while.

EDIT: Asking because I plan to play on PC but I have a friend who'd go Xbone. Would be nice if Microsoft finally let us play together.

Considering the shrieking coming from console overwatch players facing folks runing mouse/kbd adapters I can't see it getting much acceptance.

Yes, I know some people would bitch anyway, but the sensible among us wouldn't care.

The people who would bitch about it, are probably people who are low scoring anyway.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Comparing a game on previous architecture to a modern one isn't fair. I mean the shooting for ME evolved dramatically from 1 to 3, we can assume Andromeda will have an equal evolution.

On the other hand the gameplay devolved from DA2 to DA:I, so you never know...

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

On the other hand the gameplay devolved from DA2 to DA:I, so you never know...

Eh different game play though. ME has refined the shooting aspect between iterations. DA has been trying to please both sides of the mid evil rpg fandom and struggled. Though I personally liked the gamplay of I, over 2 even if the overall story was weaker.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Hot take: DA2 had by far the best combat of any DA game yet released.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Hot take: DA2 had by far the best combat of any DA game yet released.

Hotter take: DA2 is my favourite game of the series.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

The greatest improvement I found between games was the automation of your powers, so most of them auto-tracked and twisted around cover in fun ways. It meant way less physics-based cover (Like ME1), but it better matched with the clunky feel of the series' shooting.

EDIT: OHFUCK DRAGON AGE CONTROLS.

Listen, Bioware totally fucked up, at least on consoles. KOTOR 1 and KOTOR 2 were fine gems on the console. You could queue up three spells/combat moves for you and each of your two squaddies. It was great, and the UI took advantage of the console's controller limitations, too.

Then DA:O came around and they removed queues while paused on console. WHICH IS FINE AND DANDY if you play a PC, and can just quick click one of your forty spells.

But I get like 6 buttons on console, cannot queue moves efficiently, and fuck you Bioware.

DA2 wins by default.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    After finishing DA2, I was so excited by the prospect of a DA3 because they had mostly nailed the combat. All they really needed to improve in that regard was the encounter design.

Oh, what could have been...

• Options
    edited February 2017
    After finishing DA2, I was so excited by the prospect of a DA3 because they had mostly nailed the combat. All they really needed to improve in that regard was the encounter design.

They had nailed it... but what they had nailed wasn't entirely impressive in my mind. I enjoyed the second tier of classes they offered, but when my warrior became a dragon rage warrior or w/e it is called, I actually had fewer viable moves to use. It was just mashing three buttons for maximum damage. It didn't seem very fun.

It also felt really constrained in how you could move, the AI companions never stayed strictly in their positions when asked, and the AI routines you could give them actually seemed simplified from DA:O.

It didn't feel like the third game in a series on that front. It felt like they'd continued using the exact same combat systems from 2 games previous. I may have missed the subtler improvements, but it feels like they really use Dragon Age as a vehicle for their massive fantasy lore-dump, and the actual interactive systems are very clunky.

Which is why Andromeda's combat places hope onto whatever Dragon Age 4 is called. That universe, with a way better combat system, is something I've wanted from that series for 8 years.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

They had nailed it... but what they had nailed wasn't entirely impressive in my mind. I enjoyed the second tier of classes they offered, but when my warrior became a dragon rage warrior or w/e it is called, I actually had fewer viable moves to use. It was just mashing three buttons for maximum damage. It didn't seem very fun.

It also felt really constrained in how you could move, the AI companions never stayed strictly in their positions when asked, and the AI routines you could give them actually seemed simplified from DA:O.

It didn't feel like the third game in a series on that front. It felt like they'd continued using the exact same combat systems from 2 games previous. I may have missed the subtler improvements, but it feels like they really use Dragon Age as a vehicle for their massive fantasy lore-dump, and the actual interactive systems are very clunky.

Which is why Andromeda's combat places hope onto whatever Dragon Age 4 is called. That universe, with a way better combat system, is something I've wanted from that series for 8 years.

I think BionicPenguin was saying that they nailed the combat in 2 and then 3 was a letdown.

• Options
    My reply is in reference to the third game, save the specific reference to DA:O. I'm saying the AI command system felt worse in the third game than it did in the first.

I'm of the opinion that DA3 was in most ways an actual regression.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    With Pull, Lift, and Biotic OR Electric Hammer, I can export baseball to Andromeda.

I'm cool with that.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    If being able to customize what powers you take is a thing for multiplayer, I'm probably going full dork and tech cloaking, biotic charge, and some cool melee. Preferably a punch.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    SayuriUlianaSayuriUliana Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    If being able to customize what powers you take is a thing for multiplayer, I'm probably going full dork and tech cloaking, biotic charge, and some cool melee. Preferably a punch.

Unfortunately it's already confirmed that ME:A multiplayer will have preset classes like Mass Effect 3.

SayuriUliana on
  • Options

Unfortunately it's already confirmed that ME:A multiplayer will have preset classes like Mass Effect 3.

Slightly boourns on that, if only because it doesn't seem like we'll have the racial diversity of the previous game to make kooky combinations with.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Slightly boourns on that, if only because it doesn't seem like we'll have the racial diversity of the previous game to make kooky combinations with.

We definitely lose Geth, likely Batarian, possibly Volus, and gain at least 1 Andromedean race. That isn't terribly different, and the crazy shit started happening with human types (and a humanoid VI)

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    They better sneak in the milky way races in Multiplayer.

I want to be a Geth Juggernaut again!

...It was the only class where I was occasionally useful :sad:

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Loved Vorcha soldier sometimes.

FLAME ON.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Forgot Vorcha. whoops.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Forgot Vorcha.

So did the Council.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

The people who would bitch about it, are probably people who are low scoring anyway.
    Hey now.

Hey.

I am consistently 3rd/4th place in ME co-op and I want there to be MP.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    I never saw MP having that fucking crazy freedom of choice that the singleplayer would, because that would throw a huge amount of control and balance out the window

Also, devil's advocate for Dragon Age Inquisition mostly because of the active parry button and actively timed dodge mechanics make combat a less passive process imo

• Options
    Honestly ME:A is a game I buy for the campaign. As Multiplayer exists, I will play it, but as far as I'm concerned, it has no part in my decision to buy this game

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I never saw MP having that fucking crazy freedom of choice that the singleplayer would, because that would throw a huge amount of control and balance out the window

Also, devil's advocate for Dragon Age Inquisition mostly because of the active parry button and actively timed dodge mechanics make combat a less passive process imo

DA:I multiplayer had a lot of problems but the core game play wasn't really one of them. Shitty loot/gear system aside the biggest problem was the game play involved didn't play nice with the shoddy netcode.

It was actually pretty fun fun when you had a good connection to the host the problem was that was pretty rare and that made a number of classes virtually unplayable.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    The game play of DA has always been the highest barrier to playing (for me), and I've tried to play it a LOT

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Gameplay Series Trailer 2, featuring Characters, Profiles and Favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3q_Nd5arZM

So as some people managed to surmise, switching between Favorites will put the new skills on cooldown, so you can't just switch between them fast especially if those skills have long cooldown times.

SayuriUliana on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Oh man I didn't want to hope that you could hotswap between loadouts in the field, but yes

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    I can feel the decision paralysis setting in already.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I'mma need two loadouts.

Infiltrator to decap, and then Vanguard to ragdoll.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Gonna play with just one profile.

The question is, what do I use for my third skill?

Currently Annhilation field and Charge. Hmmm... Don't even know what to use for the last spot.

• Options

Currently Annhilation field and Charge. Hmmm... Don't even know what to use for the last spot.

It's not like you have to choose different Profiles for your 4 Favorites loadouts, you can just have all the loadouts use the same Profile, then just put whatever combination of Biotics you want for each Favorite.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Did anybody notice if the droids instantly vanished on profile switch? I'm wondering if it is actually viable to summon up minions then switch to your own ass kicking profile.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

It's not like you have to choose different Profiles for your 4 Favorites loadouts, you can just have all the loadouts use the same Profile, then just put whatever combination of Biotics you want for each Favorite.

Oh see I'm not at decision paralysis, like the opposite. I don't want a plethora of abilities. I just figure I should fill the three slots. I'm just gonna be charging in and shotgunning every enemy in the face. So whatever third ability helps with that the most. I'm not looking to sling spells. Vangod master race!

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Yeah it's like... Dark Channel maybe? It's a Prothean tech though, so not sure how they'd justify having it in ME:A.

Dang, I wonder if Andromedans even use Mass Effect fields and know about Eezo or if they're going to be hella freaked out by these space wizards.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Did anybody notice if the droids instantly vanished on profile switch? I'm wondering if it is actually viable to summon up minions then switch to your own ass kicking profile.

I'd imagine not since he specifically said in the video he was dropping his turret before switching.

Favorites looks awesome and will definitely make ryder play different from shep since you can have radically different powers at play during a fight.

Also Cora's charge looked awesome. God damn it all the team members look too sweet!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Yeah it's like... Dark Channel maybe? It's a Prothean tech though, so not sure how they'd justify having it in ME:A.

Dang, I wonder if Andromedans even use Mass Effect fields and know about Eezo or if they're going to be hella freaked out by these space wizards.

Ooooh good question.

In like 99% of scifi it is the humans who are "normal" and the aliens who are, uh for lack of a better term, otherworldly. Not that I'm knocking it, kinda the nature of the beast really.

I'd totally be down for the roles to be switched in ME:A. Granted, in this case we have a collection of Citadel races instead of just humans, but the effective would be the same.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.