As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    I've setup mine as balanced kind of like a Cobra Mk3 with some good speed, decent weapons, and a solid shield tank. Currently I have around 445 boost speed, 450ish shields, 2x class 2 gimbled pulse lasers, a class 2 PA, some shield batts, chaff, and a heat sink launcher on mine. And I found space for 4 tons of cargo, an SRV, and a fuel scoop. It's asking the little thing to do alot at once but it's met my needs and I'm having fun, so I must be doing it right! A black paintjob and green weapon fx has a fun TIE fighter feel to it as well. :D

I was reading that as "a Cobra mk3 shield tank with 450 MJ shields" and went... what? But anyway, my courier does ~760 with full combat fit, two reverb torp launchers and a feedback rail. Only 300 shield or so, but it's not meant to be a fighter exactly, more a ship meant to annoy people who displease me, no matter if they are in a wing or what ship they fly. Great fun running interference at CGs! Just interdict gankers, if they submit it's fine, just run away and do it again. If they come after you, all the better! If they get into a fight with someone who knows what they are doing, drop in and nail that shield generator! :D I probably shouldn't be doing it, but annoying gankers is my guilty pleasure in E:D.

I was talking to someone who claimed to have a combat-fitted courier doing over 800 with some 600 MJ of shields... not sure if that's even theoretically possible, but if it is it must have taken an un-godly number of rerolls. He claimed he had been working on it for months....

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    @Lodbrok That is awesome! I have only engineered a few things. Grade 3 dirty drive tuning; grade 1 shield boosters (2), distributor, and power plant. My FSD is grade 5 though! :D It's really just tiding me over till I can afford a Python. However I won't sell it, I'm just going to keep engineering it as I am able. I'd love to turn it into a nasty hit and run ship similiar to what you have setup sometime when I get the engineers unlocked to do so. All I have right now is G5 access on Felicity Farseer.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    I'm on the way to getting Packhounds because Macross missiles can't be beat. They should be fun to play with. I think the next to pick up after that might be the fancy frag cannons, or maybe prismatic shields. On a smaller ship, a downsized prismatic can top a moderately engineered A rank standard, which can be useful in some fits.

Or the multi cannons?

So many choices, and such an awful time wall. I hope that gets revisited at some point, I'd love for players to have access to more options on the whole. Scarcity of this nature does not impress me.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah there is no way I'm going to bother with the mess that is Power Play just to get a few special modules.

• Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    Yeah there is no way I'm going to bother with the mess that is Power Play just to get a few special modules.

It's honestly not much of a hassle anymore. Enemy enforcer ships don't interdict you unless you happen to be carrying merits or powerplay items and even then it's pretty rare. The easiest way to get your special weapon is to pledge, go along your business for 3 weeks, then before the weekly server maintenance, kill 750 merits worth of enemy agents or couriers by jumping in and out of a nav beason in any anarchy control system controlled by a hostile faction which takes like 30 minutes if you have a powerful warship. Then you've got a week to stock up.

Honestly, I think the timer should be halved at this point or they should give us an alternative way to obtain them that doesn't take almost a month of real time...

• Options

It's honestly not much of a hassle anymore. Enemy enforcer ships don't interdict you unless you happen to be carrying merits or powerplay items and even then it's pretty rare. The easiest way to get your special weapon is to pledge, go along your business for 3 weeks, then before the weekly server maintenance, kill 750 merits worth of enemy agents or couriers by jumping in and out of a nav beason in any anarchy control system controlled by a hostile faction which takes like 30 minutes if you have a powerful warship. Then you've got a week to stock up.

Honestly, I think the timer should be halved at this point or they should give us an alternative way to obtain them that doesn't take almost a month of real time...

Hrm well that sounds ok. I also think it would be fun to be hunting down war targets instead of bounties. I'd love an excuse to hit some federal ships...

• Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Whelp, reinstalling fixed my controller issue :^:

It also seems a bit more responsive in other respects as well.

Finished up another ruin scanning run, so I'm up to 41 million now. Gonna take a break from that and get back to some combat next time I can play.

• Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

The whole "half your merits ever week thing" has pretty much convinced me I can't be bothered with getting Prismatic shields, even being the shield chaser I am. Not until I get a lot more efficient at getting merits anyway.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Basil wrote: »
    I am debating how to fit the Courier, but I figure that lightweight speedster can only be hilarious.

Maybe load a beam laser and a couple frag cannons?

Those guns would be heavier than a couple light weight pulses and something else, though, unless it can run a beam laser without efficiency. I'm not sure how quickly speed drops with mass, but I understand it is significant.

This is what Science! Is for.

Went with efficient fixed beam and 2 cannons (gimbal) for module sniping. Mine's not super fast though, but it still has 516 MJ shields and boosts to about 600.

https://coriolis.edcd.io/outfit/imperial_courier?code=A0patzF5l3das8f31l1l0r000702072t43-6e--.Iw18UA==.CwRgDBkEw2NaMwlA.H4sIAAAAAAAAA3WQvS8EURTFz8zurJlZuzsz+5HJxvcOpU5CNwWJQjPRaIiaRBRKCqvV2USyemr+AsVWGp0o/AcaRAjhXecWIxqvOMm75/fuve/ADAH4dijRYhWobLSBclIAwksbSPYpYplUIRbh3r6LtPqfItF6EajdsCa2aeVNmg9loGONAPEB77XlV5FGIDwF0/6dZNdpHbNJnHlAI4iA+hyNzpa2c8xCTvq73GlqUAFmVLxDvplUmVYR16zlZPH6Q8TphUBpwJ7i/W/5ZjW3vsZ06v0j/Yzfi7tvIqXtJ5FapntO6DrDZinHx7unrLo73L7PezzrM6wjGqEGlKhI9Q+enhFP94hfKH7OrJMrhQKzkkPxyQsjutNEN585eJTSnLcIyQ/j4DyinQEAAA==&bn=Courier

Bigity on
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I had a question about Conflict Zones, since I need some materials that are commonly found there: is it feasible to be a battlefield scavenger, picking up what's dropped by those actively involved in the conflict, or will I need to get my hands dirty and risk annihilation at the hands of the faction I attack?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    I had a question about Conflict Zones, since I need some materials that are commonly found there: is it feasible to be a battlefield scavenger, picking up what's dropped by those actively involved in the conflict, or will I need to get my hands dirty and risk annihilation at the hands of the faction I attack?

I believe you have to at least 'tag' the ships that are destroyed or they won't drop materials when they pop.

• Options
    Hmm. Last time I checked out a Conflict Zone, I ended up shredded to bits in mere seconds. I may be better at playing the game by now, but I'm not sure a reasonably good all-rounder Asp Explorer will last that much longer than my Cobra MkIII if everyone turns against me. Electrochemical arrays or minimising risk to life and limb? As I said: Hmm.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    You would likely be better off buying a fresh anything else at all than going in with an Asp Explorer.

I'd recommend taking a fighter and shooting whatever a friendly Elite Anaconda shoots at, but a cobra could at least carry limpets and does boost fairly quick like.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    ... of course, that might be a good solution. I still haven't quite internalised that my materials aren't bound to a ship. Perhaps I should just go back to Founders' World, pick up my Cobra MkIII, go find a bunch of those arrays at a CZ and then pick up my AspE again.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Depending on the time involved, you might have the cobra delivered to you, too!

Ship delivery and a 30 odd ly Asp is my answer to Engineers and limited play time. I'm gonna have to wander around a CZ for military ship materials too.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Multicrew livestream in twenty minutes

• Options
    jinkumabutajinkumabuta Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

The whole "half your merits ever week thing" has pretty much convinced me I can't be bothered with getting Prismatic shields, even being the shield chaser I am. Not until I get a lot more efficient at getting merits anyway.

Yeah I agree the weekly upkeep is pretty silly at this point but you thanks to the ability to stock modules, you don't really need to keep it unlocked if you can afford to just buy the ones you anticipate you'll need and the prismatic shields are realistically the only one that you might need to unlock twice, just because the larger sizes are so damn expensive. All the weapons, you can just stock 5-6 of them and defect to the next one.

They mentioned before that they've wanted to rebalance it so that merits don't decay but instead you can spend them for various services like summoning allied NPC ships and I assume buying the special modules, which would be nice if they did away with the 4 weeks timer.

• Options
    TLDW:

There are connection errors at present but not crazy ones (better than I've seen on some live releases, notably planetary landings).

It's maximum 3 crew, not four which I thought for some reason. So precisely one helm and one fighter command. Only two fighters can be out at once, either one pilot and one AI or both pilots. It looks like it's not possible to launch two AIs.

The extra pip is managed by its owner, not the helm. They can put it where they want. I'm not sure what happens to it when a fighter is launched.

The gunner cameras are very cool and seem well thought out, it intelligently moves to ensure that the ship isn't blocking your camera. The gunner also has access to all countermeasures.

It seems like a multicrew ship is powerful but not indestructible. They still got beat up a bit.

Every crew member can target and scan independently, and "target my wingmate's target" is going to be in release

Fighter Com can request to dock and it will let the helm know to fly accordingly

Multicrew get full bounty credit (not shared) and this is being extended to wings too

All crew can access multiple cameras

Matchmaking allows you to choose what roles and gameplay you're looking for, including exploration and mining. "Legal" ships can automatically kick players who commit crimes

You're not teleporting onto their ship, you're projecting a hologram to it. This seems relatively lore friendly.

The character creator looks like it can get eerily close to real faces if that's what you're going for

• Options
    I'm not sure what to think about the things shown in the stream... going to wait and see what comes out in the beta when players have had a chance to discover all there is and people who are actually competent at playing the game have tried out the new features. It seems to be a trend with new patches in E:D that I enjoy the small improvements much more than the new main features. We'll see in a couple of weeks I guess.

• Options
    I suspect that I won't actually end up playing Multicrew all that much because I don't play multiplayer games, but it certainly leaves me with a hankering to put some games together. I'm a big fan of the fact that it's drop in drop out and I don't have to worry about whether their gear is any good

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I suspect that I won't actually end up playing Multicrew all that much because I don't play multiplayer games, but it certainly leaves me with a hankering to put some games together. I'm a big fan of the fact that it's drop in drop out and I don't have to worry about whether their gear is any good

I quite like the co-op aspects of it, but I don't think I'd really do it with random internet strangers.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    General question on my Engineering Quests: I reached Elvira quite painlessly in Khun courtesy of the Fuel Scoop (which made a ~350 LY journey comparatively painless once I figured out how to park my ship by a suitable star where the heat leveled off until it refueled--10/10, would buy component again). I deduced which specific upgrade options I was interested in (for primary drive, FSD, and shields respectively), and which materials I had versus which I would need.

I basically am going to need some legacy firmware, phosphorus (feel really dumb for having discarded some in the past when I hit my materials cap), and for the FSD arsenic, chemical manipulators, and datamined wake exceptions (the only upgrade that I have nothing for). Obviously some of the data materials are going to require I go out on SRV missions, but assuming I prefer mining to go-cart crap--am I better off returning to my home base and just letting myself naturally accumulate those materials, or is it possible to linger around Khun's neighborhood for a short time and actually get those things? Some of it, like Phosphorus, are pretty easy to come across in a mining system adjacent to Khun.

Obviously I'd need mining lasers, but do I need limpets and a refinery and all that other stuff if I just want phosphorous and arsenic? Those other materials won't be coming from mining obviously, so I don't want to spend too much.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Oh gosh. Multicrew looks super neat. I did not expect the matchmaker or player interaction improvements at all, either!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I think the only issue I have with the extra pips is ... where is that energy coming from? Positive thinking?

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I think the only issue I have with the extra pips is ... where is that energy coming from? Positive thinking?

It's you. The extra energy was inside your pilot all along.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    The Thargoids might start abducting humans for use as batteries!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Added expertise that lets you squeeze more money out of the distributor or whatever. You have another set of eyes on the systems. I guess. I don't know if they ever came up with a reason.

Shit that's going to bother me now. THANKS DUDE.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    You're piping additional power into the ship through your holo-me

Or something

Ceno on
  • Options
    Yeah that's the only other explanation I could think of but it seems like that would be a real weird way for energy to work.

• Options
    I kinda assumed it was because having extra eyes on it allowed you to be more efficient

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ahem.

"Integration of the holopresence equipment and receivers allows for a trickle of power to be channeled along the unused portions of the data conduit; not enough to power anything by itself, but when coupled with the added processing gear needed to enable holoprojection as well as the touch of an extra skilled pilot, it's enough to add just that little more to the currently-coupled ship system."

Edit: I can't not hear that in the Mass Effect codex voice.

dporowski on
  • Options
    I'LL ALLOW IT

• Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    Do I need limpets and a refinery and all that other stuff if I just want phosphorous and arsenic? Those other materials won't be coming from mining obviously, so I don't want to spend too much.

You won't need a refinery for engineering mats like phosphorous and arsenic, only metals like painite or gold. Personally, I rather like scooping cargo manually, but limpets are certainly faster.

• Options
    Your precious bodily fluids.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    General question on my Engineering Quests: I reached Elvira quite painlessly in Khun courtesy of the Fuel Scoop (which made a ~350 LY journey comparatively painless once I figured out how to park my ship by a suitable star where the heat leveled off until it refueled--10/10, would buy component again). I deduced which specific upgrade options I was interested in (for primary drive, FSD, and shields respectively), and which materials I had versus which I would need.

I basically am going to need some legacy firmware, phosphorus (feel really dumb for having discarded some in the past when I hit my materials cap), and for the FSD arsenic, chemical manipulators, and datamined wake exceptions (the only upgrade that I have nothing for). Obviously some of the data materials are going to require I go out on SRV missions, but assuming I prefer mining to go-cart crap--am I better off returning to my home base and just letting myself naturally accumulate those materials, or is it possible to linger around Khun's neighborhood for a short time and actually get those things? Some of it, like Phosphorus, are pretty easy to come across in a mining system adjacent to Khun.

Obviously I'd need mining lasers, but do I need limpets and a refinery and all that other stuff if I just want phosphorous and arsenic? Those other materials won't be coming from mining obviously, so I don't want to spend too much.

Phosphorus will drop often when mining, arsenic on the other hand... you are likely to spend a looooooong time mining if you are after arsenic. I strongly suggest you hop into your SRV for that one, and head to a planet with arsenic in the 2-3% span (or higher if you can find them, I haven't). Mimurtudji 3 is the one I usually go to, but that is just cause it is close to my home.

I don't have a problem with the extra pips, presumably the extra crew member can keep an eye on energy fluctuations and reverse the polarity when the flow gets to high... or something. However, what happened to the fourth crew-member? Why can you only be three persons on a ship, but four in a wing if they are supposed to be equivalent? There are so many un-answered questions that I just prefer to wait and see on this one.

• Options
    I've not yet had any time to check out the footage. Did they say anything whether several ships with multi-crews could wing up?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Multicrew and Wing are not compatible at this time.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    That's a shame. The one thing I like best about online multiplayer is hanging out with mates in amazing virtual space(s), and I very much would've liked the idea of a mini-fleet of three or four ships, each with multi-crews. (Not that I have the required number of mates playing Elite, mind you.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
This discussion has been closed.