As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Shit, I might need that. I also may become the victim of domestic violence if I buy another fucking boondoggle to play Elite with

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Yeah, looks very nice, but I can't really spend the amount of money the nicer sticks cost, at least not until my old Thrustmaster gives up :?

Looking at that Isinona vid, it strikes me that that kind of gameplay is probably what the devs had in mind. Just baseline ships where a cobra can be chased of by even a NPC t9 with fighter. To bad whoever was responsible for engineers couldn't see what the power-creep entail.

• Options
    Wait, I thought it was the stick from the actual game and it's not. Phew. Ok I might not need it.

It's a lot of buttons though

Ok I still need it

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Wait, I thought it was the stick from the actual game and it's not. Phew. Ok I might not need it.

It's a lot of buttons though

Ok I still need it

Keep in mind it's just the grip for $99, you'd still need a compatible base to attach it to.

I'm tempted because the VKB gimbals are supposed to be the bee's knees, but I need a new throttle before a new stick, since the X-55 is kind of a ticking time bomb in that regard.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh man, I had a joystick and a n52 gamepad rigged as a throttle before, but the real deal is hugely different (just got a Thrustmaster FCS today). Having a throttle slider is already changing the way I fly (fight). It's much more natural to stay on a targets six with this, before it felt like fighting the keyboard.

Will take awhile to train my muscle memory I guess and tweak the bindings to just how I prefer. Still, very nice.

• Options
    Shit, I might need that. I also may become the victim of domestic violence if I buy another fucking boondoggle to play Elite with

I had tacit permission to order my hotas, but I still waited until she was out of town for a few days :D

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    The small amount of time I spent on a hotas at PAX ruined me. The ease at which I can control speed and movement was amazing. I always feel slight off on my controller or my kbam.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Syngyne wrote: »
    In HOTAS news, VKB is releasing their Modern Control Grip in May/June.

4f7a9b16-d3c1-4387-9c4b-5e39d1291f33.jpg

ade16cc0-42a5-4804-b839-3c24179643a7.jpg

Compatible with their Galdiator Pro and Gunfighter bases, as well as Thrustmaster Warthog and Cougar bases with an upcoming adapter.

Oh that is hoooooooooooot. I'm in the market for a new stick and that thing looks noice.

I want something specifically for space sims so while the warthog is nice and all it's just kinda ehhhhhh for me. I need something quick and precise and covered in buttons.

I used to have an X52 but the throttle controls are kinda useless for space sims. CH's stuff is nice enough but I'm not a fan of slide throttles. It works well enough but I feel the regular throttles are better for knowing exactly where you're at purely by feel. That kinda leaves the Thrustmaster Warthog for a full setup but the heavy throw on the stick doesn't sound ideal for the precision needed for space combat.

An experimental budget twin stick setup might be in my future :3

Edit: Apparently the Gladiator has a twist handle and the Pro doesn't.

I HAVE A BATSHIT CRAZY IDEA

EDIT EDIT: Their upcoming "space sim" grip is a left hand stick. Oh those fuckers know how to push my impulsive stupid idea buttons.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    They're working on a twist adapter. Also, due to feedback, they're adding a pinky shift button, and the two-way switch on the right side of the stick is being turned into a four-way switch.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    They're working on a twist adapter. Also, due to feedback, they're adding a pinky shift button, and the two-way switch on the right side of the stick is being turned into a four-way switch.

I won't need the adapter :D

My dumb idea is to use the Pro as the main stick and put the Modern Combat Stick on it. Then I'd use the Gladiator as the left hand stick with the eventual space sim stick put on it. Pitch and yaw go on the main stick while forward/reverse thrust and lateral strafing goes on the left stick with roll on the twist (I have no room for pedals and frankly never enjoyed using them when I did have some). Then I'd just have vertical thrust on a two way switch on the left hand stick and I'm in flight assist off business.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Does that thing have more inputs than the warthog stick?

• Options
    Does that thing have more inputs than the warthog stick?

Looks like, plus if you use the Gladiator Pro or Gunfighter base, two of the hats can become analog axes rather than just 8-way switches.

I think the big selling point about the VKB controllers is their bases, though. They use all-metal gimbals and are apparently accurate enough that you can write your name with the stick.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    yeah this might be something I buy. as much as I enjoy the warthog those extra inputs look pretty sweet

• Options
    edited March 2017
    That Gunfighter base looks sexy as fuck and since it's just the base you're not burning money on a stick you aren't going to use. I'm also rather amused by the idea of those extensions that let you floor mount the base.

Hrmmmm, moar research required!

Edit: There's also going to be some sort of control panel attachment for that base in the future if you need all the buttons ever. They also have a throttle in the works too so you could run a pure VKB setup.

I also rather like that their rudder pedals look more like helo pedals and don't require extensive leg movement to use which is my big gripe about other pedals. I have long legs so trying to use regular pedals is a PITA cause my knees often hit the bottom of my desk.

VKB is quickly cementing itself as my next HOTAS.

Edit 2: Apparently the lefty space sim stick is being produced based on feedback and comments from the E:D and SC crowds :o

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Wait what floor mount

• Options
    Wait what floor mount

The Gunfighter Pro is a smaller mount with a stick extension that's meant to be part of a simpit where you might have limited space in the floor of the cockpit for a center stick mount.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    One problem I could see in ED is the whole 50% throttle is max maneuverability thing which may make twin sticking a worse choice. I'll need to peruse the Internets to see how people generally feel about that.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    One problem I could see in ED is the whole 50% throttle is max maneuverability thing which may make twin sticking a worse choice. I'll need to peruse the Internets to see how people generally feel about that.

Wouldn't just letting the stick center itself leave you at 50%?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I tried a little multicrew beta today. Unfortunately only one guy was online, in an asp, with no turrets. He seemed kind of mad at me for being in his ship. My worry is that a lot of people are just going to leave their ship open for the extra pip and other benefits. That's great if you want to power level I guess, but I want to play the game. I could have sworn there was a way to select the role you're interested in but I didn't see it anywhere, I really wanted to go fighter comm.

The turret controls were also pretty twitchy, but I just realised that I should have bound yaw to my stick. There's no roll binding, which takes a little getting used to. Actually getting into the ship is amazingly fast. It was seconds from "I'd like to play" to "I'm in a ship"

• Options

Wouldn't just letting the stick center itself leave you at 50%?

I could set it up that way but I'd prefer for that to be zero throttle so I can reverse whenever I want for precise dogfighting shenanigans.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    welp

gunfighter base ordered

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    welp

gunfighter base ordered

I'm gonna get mine when the Modern Combat Grip pre-orders start :D Also, I have until then to decide on whether I want to order a Thrustmaster 16000m to hold me over until the VKB lefty stick becomes reality. Decisiooooonnnnsss

Edit: FYI I've been on the VKB forums and according to a VKB rep the Gunfighter Pro comes with the wide desktop base as well so you can set it up however you want.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I'll have to keep an eye on their throttle solution.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    I played all day today, gradually D fitting my Anaconda for future exploration (putting my A stuff in storage) with passenger missions for Sirius rep. Last mission before bed was a simple data delivery. 3 Anacondas. 3. In my D rated ship.

At least the buyback was "only" 8 million. I'm definitely liquidating my Cutter now.

The plan is to get enough rep for a big ticket exploration mission with multiple explorers and maybe ding Elite.

• Options
    Oh, I've also been collecting turreted weapons for when multicrew drops. Turreted beams are insanely pricy! So far a multi cannons load out seems the most all round practical

• Options
    welp

gunfighter base ordered

I'm gonna get mine when the Modern Combat Grip pre-orders start :D Also, I have until then to decide on whether I want to order a Thrustmaster 16000m to hold me over until the VKB lefty stick becomes reality. Decisiooooonnnnsss

Edit: FYI I've been on the VKB forums and according to a VKB rep the Gunfighter Pro comes with the wide desktop base as well so you can set it up however you want.

Just FYI, their America sales rep said he's about 70 orders away from having to close preorders on the Gunfighter until VKB announces another production run. That's one of the downsides of VKB, they produce limited quantities and can sometimes be hard to get ahold of.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Tube, what is your standard procedure on interdiction, and what shield-strength do you have? Losing a Conda to NPC interdiction should be a rare thing unless you are really unlucky, even when flying a standard explo-build.

• Options
    My standard procedure is "win the fight unless it's against three anacondas"

• Options
    Haha, good procedure! However, I've found that recently, some NPCs are more hard-hitting than you'd expect. Not sure if it's been that way since all the time since 2.2 but apparently it's now confirmed that dangerous/elite NPCs do use engineered weapons (this has been disputed on the forums), and in my experience sometimes they hit really hard. Not sure what governs if/how many engineered weapons they have, but I find that when not flying a combat-build, it's just easier and faster to just get out as fast as possible.

• Options
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Haha, good procedure! However, I've found that recently, some NPCs are more hard-hitting than you'd expect. Not sure if it's been that way since all the time since 2.2 but apparently it's now confirmed that dangerous/elite NPCs do use engineered weapons (this has been disputed on the forums), and in my experience sometimes they hit really hard. Not sure what governs if/how many engineered weapons they have, but I find that when not flying a combat-build, it's just easier and faster to just get out as fast as possible.

Has this really been confirmed? They definitely use things like HRPs and military armor, but as far as I know all special engineering effects on weapns have been removed from NPCs. The thermal/impulse warnings people get are standard effects from standard plasma accelerators/railguns, they just never had an audio warning before.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I'd like to upgrade my engines a little, but unlocking the high level drives is a big pain in the hole.

• Options
    I'd like to upgrade my engines a little, but unlocking the high level drives is a big pain in the hole.

Sooo worth it :D

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Lodbrok wrote: »

Has this really been confirmed? They definitely use things like HRPs and military armor, but as far as I know all special engineering effects on weapns have been removed from NPCs. The thermal/impulse warnings people get are standard effects from standard plasma accelerators/railguns, they just never had an audio warning before.

Yes, several times by customer support after commanders asking specifically about it. Don't have the link handy, but there was a thread on the forums during the last couple of days. Also, if I remember correctly it's only deadly and elite NPCs that have the possibility of engineered weapons.

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    edited March 2017

If you've already done the 5k trip, hunting for fragments around Maia only takes an hour or so.

Edit: Ooooh, wait. I forgot about Qwent. Yeah, that was a pain.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I went on a trip to The Holy Twins which should only take a couple of days. Once I have allied Sirius rep I think I'll be able to get plenty of long distance passenger missions with them. Here's my basic loadout. I have this already without the engineering, this is what I think it'll look like with pretty mediocre rolls (mostly in the blue zone + all negatives in the red).

32ly jump range isn't too nutty, considering it's very much a luxury build with a lot of options.
    • SRV bay and mining lasers in case of emergency
    • Double AFMUs to ensure system integrity on long trips
    • Low thermal load to allow fast jumps and easy scooping
    • Two large, first class cabins allowing for a rough maximum of 4 tourist teams. In an ideal world, I could sit around and get four going to the same location for a huge payout
    • Ample cargo room for convenience purposes. Once I don't have to hold onto modular terminals, this will be a fighter bay for protection while leaving and entering the bubble
    [Anaconda, Luxury Explorer] [+1]
    S: 1D/F Mining Laser [+1]
    S: 1D/F Mining Laser [+1]

BH: 1C Lightweight Alloy
    PP: 8D Power Plant
    **: Low Emissions 3
    **: Mass +9.8%; Power Capacity -5.3%; Heat Efficiency -14.3%
    TH: 7D Thrusters [+1]
    **: Clean Tuning 5
    **: Integrity -16.9%; Power Draw +16.9%; Optimal Multiplier +12.8%
    **: Thermal Load -19.6%
    FD: 6A Frame Shift Drive [+1]
    **: Increased Range 5
    **: Mass +31.2%; Integrity -12.3%; Power Draw +16.9%
    **: Optimal Mass +21.7%
    LS: 5D Life Support [+1]
    **: Light Weight 5
    **: Mass -43.5%; Integrity -46.1%
    PD: 8D Power Distributor [+1]
    SS: 8D Sensors [+1]
    FT: 5C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 32)

7: 7A Fuel Scoop [+1]
    6: 6C/F First Class Passenger Cabin
    6: 6C/F First Class Passenger Cabin
    6: 6E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 64)
    5: 5D Auto Field-Maintenance Unit [+1]
    5: 5D Auto Field-Maintenance Unit [+1]
    5: 5D Shield Generator [+1]
    4: 4G Planetary Vehicle Hangar [+1]
    4: 1C Advanced Discovery Scanner
    2: 1C Detailed Surface Scanner [+1]
    ---
    Shield: 318.5
    Power : 18.83 MW retracted (74%)
    19.83 MW deployed (78%)
    25.58 MW available
    Cargo : 64
    Fuel : 32 T
    Mass : 792.6 T empty
    888.6 T full
    Range : 32.40 LY unladen
    30.07 LY laden
    Price : 265,018,420 CR
    Re-Buy: 13,250,921 CR @ 95% insurance

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Looks like I can take a full complement of multi-cannons for a loss of 2ly which is... neat but not practical. Generally if I get interdicted the bigger annoyance is going to be pissing off my passengers because I've been scanned. I did have two attempts leaving the bubble that failed. Two successful attempts would kill the mission (I got scanned coming out of the mailslot). I'd ideally like to have a "spare" scan to get back into the station.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't liquidate the Cutter, just stripped it for parts. That raised 130 million which leaves me comfortably liquid and lets me keep it around rather than taking a 20% bath on the price of the hull. Some day it'll be a spaceworthy trader. Some day.

Edit 2: alright fuck it, I don't need to go to bed. For 95 million (on the existing hull) I can build this:
    [Imperial Cutter, Heavy Trader] [+1]
    U: 0A Shield Booster [+1]

BH: 1C Lightweight Alloy
    PP: 8D Power Plant
    **: Overcharged 3
    **: Integrity -8.7%; Power Capacity +9.1%; Heat Efficiency +6.8%
    TH: 8D Thrusters [+1]
    **: Clean Tuning 5
    **: Integrity -16.9%; Power Draw +16.9%; Optimal Mass -4.6%
    **: Optimal Multiplier +8.1%
    FD: 7A Frame Shift Drive [-1]
    **: Increased Range 5
    **: Mass +28.2%; Integrity -18.8%; Power Draw +13.7%
    **: Optimal Mass +24.0%
    LS: 7D Life Support [+1]
    PD: 7D Power Distributor [+1]
    SS: 7D Sensors [+1]
    FT: 6C Fuel Tank (Capacity: 64)

MC: 5A Shield Cell Bank [+1]
    MC: 5A Shield Cell Bank [-1]

8: 8E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 256)
    8: 8E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 256)
    6: 6A Shield Generator [+1]
    5: 5E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 32)
    5: 5E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 32)
    4: 4E Cargo Rack (Capacity: 16)
    3: 1E Standard Docking Computer [-1]
    ---
    Shield: 1,137.9
    Power : 28.12 MW retracted (95%)
    28.12 MW deployed (95%)
    29.46 MW available
    Cargo : 720
    Fuel : 64 T
    Mass : 1,534.6 T empty
    2,318.6 T full
    Range : 26.44 LY unladen
    18.23 LY laden
    Price : 295,026,600 CR
    Re-Buy: 14,751,330 CR @ 95% insurance

Extremely defensive for a heavy trader of its type with two full shield cell units (only one can be on at a time, due to power tetris needs) and the speed to outrun everything, it should be mostly unkillable whilst maintaining a civilised 26ly range. It could achieve a powerplay rating of five in 14 fully loaded trips

Tube on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Yea, a modded cutter for trading is basically unstoppable. I guess wings of really fast ships with reverb torps could get you, but even then probably not as long as you are smart and high wake if you need to (and maybe have dual ECM). It also hauls a literal shit-ton of stuff and jumps a decent range (and number of jumps).

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    So, after seeing the news about the distress call from the Col 70 sector, I took my DBX on an excursion. There are rumours that the news may be connected to what was shown in the "reaver-cobra"-trailer and other recent developments, so I figured I'd snoop around a bit see. Don't really expect to find anything, the sector is permit-locked, but who knows... Anyone else out this way?

Completely unrelated, but here is a (old) lovely video show-casing the lovely vistas in E:D. The game may have it's problems, but damn if the canvas it paints isn't spectacular at times...

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CSwte6iXCQ8

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    Man the fact that Elite wipes your bindings if you don't have the right controller plugged in is a real fucker. Mainly because it means I can't realistically use a wireless controller for the SUV.

Does anyone here use T.A.R.G.E.T? Does it still allow you to use other control sources like pads/the keyboard?

• Options
    Man the fact that Elite wipes your bindings if you don't have the right controller plugged in is a real fucker. Mainly because it means I can't realistically use a wireless controller for the SUV.

Does anyone here use T.A.R.G.E.T? Does it still allow you to use other control sources like pads/the keyboard?

I heard it was trash so I didn't even install it for my FCS.

I also religiously backup my bindings because Elite is retarded in how they are handled.

This discussion has been closed.