As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'd like to be able to set up scripted bindings for power distribution and subsystem targetting.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I really, really want an arrow point on your HUD giving you a vague idea of a supercruise vector to put a station's entrance in front of you. As oppose to having to turn eyeball it or turning on orbital paths.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I really, really want an arrow point on your HUD giving you a vague idea of a supercruise vector to put a station's entrance in front of you. As oppose to having to turn eyeball it or turning on orbital paths.

In the current beta the station's model in your panel now reflects its rotation while you're in
    supercruise.

In other beta and non-beta news, you can name your ships, but your ship's name will not show up to other commanders when they target you unless you've bought a nameplate. Which is a bit crappy, since you can see NPC ship names when you target them. :\

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    I don't care because I'm going to buy all the nameplates anyway.

Tube's Pro-Explorer Tip Of The Day:

If you're doing a long range mission to a particular place, set your KGB FOAM filter and cut three out e.g, K B A. Plot your course to your target in 1k chunks (obviously), bookmarking them as you go and name them like "Holy Twins Route 1" etc.

When you arrive, reverse the filter on your map e.g cut G F O M and re-enable KBA. Follow your route backwards. You'll save a bunch of time plotting a course, go back an efficient route and won't hit a single star that you've already explored. The only navigation time is picking a compatible star right next to your bookmark.

• Options
    If it's a route you're going to do more than once (maybe jacques) you might even get away with flying all Ks one time, all Gs back etc and get seven unique runs

• Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

In the current beta the station's model in your panel now reflects its rotation while you're in
    supercruise.

In other beta and non-beta news, you can name your ships, but your ship's name will not show up to other commanders when they target you unless you've bought a nameplate. Which is a bit crappy, since you can see NPC ship names when you target them. :\

Ok, that actually annoys me a bit. I thought that it was only the actual hull plate that required a purchase, i.e. the actual cosmetic. If the name doesn't show up when targeted, they actually want money for functionality? Not a good decision in my opinion.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Man the fact that Elite wipes your bindings if you don't have the right controller plugged in is a real fucker. Mainly because it means I can't realistically use a wireless controller for the SUV.

Does anyone here use T.A.R.G.E.T? Does it still allow you to use other control sources like pads/the keyboard?

I use it. It works the same with Elite as any other controller. The software essentially just makes your controller a virtual controller so you can adjust curves, tweak bindings, etc. on a basic level. On a higher level, it lets you do almost anything you can think of. So that being said, if you use a set up now without target, you can use it with it. The only caveat is that the virtual controller will not have the same keybinds as your current controller. So you'll have to rebind the keys. Or maybe not. I imagine there's a way to import them. I haven't really investigated it.

That virtual controller bit throws a lot of people off and I think is a source of a lot of complaints. For my appraisal of it, there are two different interfaces- Easy GUI mode that I use, and a scripting interface for ambitious programming types. The program always works, doesn't cause any problems, and adjusts the joystick curves the way I want. I have no complaints.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Out of curiosity: what's the most efficient way to make friends with local factions? Is it missions, bounty hunting at a local RES, something else altogether, or is this something that can't really be generalised?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    Syngyne wrote: »

supercruise.

Ok, that actually annoys me a bit. I thought that it was only the actual hull plate that required a purchase, i.e. the actual cosmetic. If the name doesn't show up when targeted, they actually want money for functionality? Not a good decision in my opinion.

Aaaand it looks like they changed their minds.

Ship names will now show when scanned.

As for nameplates, for $3 you get three different styles, with a black, white, and grey version, which can be applied to all your ships.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017

Stations always face the planets they orbit.

EDIT: And they have something new in the beta apparently to make this easier, didn't know that. Neat.

Bigity on
  • Options
    ZeroczZerocz Space Cowboy In SpaceRegistered User regular
    The whole post:
    Ed Lewis wrote:
    Ship naming and Name Plates – how it will work

Hi everyone,

There’s been a number of questions from Commanders regarding ship naming and how ship name plates will work so we wanted to give you a little more information about how these features will work when they’re released.

In-game ship naming

When you have named your ship in-game, your ship name will appear in multicrew grouping and in your HUD. In addition to this, in beta 5, when other people scan you, or target you in space they will be able to see your ship name in their UI. This feature will be available for all players of Elite Dangerous (both base game and Horizons players) including Xbox One, upcoming PS4 release and PC Commanders.

Cosmetic Ship Name Plates

The ship name plates will offer an added layer of cosmetic personalisation for Commanders wanting to wear their name with pride, much like paint jobs and other cosmetics currently available in the store.

Name plates will be made available in themed packs. These packs will contain three designs, each of which will be available in three colours: black, white, and grey. This makes a total of 9 nameplates per pack. After purchase, each pack will be available for use across all of your ships (Ship launched fighters and SRVs don’t have name plates) and each pack of 9 variant plates will be coming into store at just £2/€2.5/$3. This means that purchasing one pack of name plates will allow you to use that style across all of your current and future ships, at the same time and rename each individual ship as many times as you like. We believe this flexibility offers Commanders great value and is a great way to help support the continued development of Elite Dangerous.

Thanks!

It's incredible to me that any other way was even considered.

• Options
    Do we know that it was?

I don't know, it's cosmetic and has no effect on gameplay. You'd never actually know whether your ship name was being displayed or not. I don't really care if they charge for that. I'm not putting a name on my ship for you, I'm doing it for me.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Do we know that it was?

I don't know, it's cosmetic and has no effect on gameplay. You'd never actually know whether your ship name was being displayed or not. I don't really care if they charge for that. I'm not putting a name on my ship for you, I'm doing it for me.

Sandro had said you had to buy a nameplate for your name to show up on scans during a livestream. It was also apparently in the notes for one of the beta revisions.

Edit: also, in the beta, players were reporting they could see NPC names on ships, but that no player ship names were showing up when scanned.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Yes, all signs point to that it was indeed Frontiers intention to make the players pay for visible names on the scanner. Either that or Sandro is really bad at communication. It's nice that they backed down and are able to change things when they see the player reaction (don't think I've seen so many people upset since the instant travel debacle), but it is a bit worrying that someone thought it was a good idea in the first place... oh well, the pricing seems quite reasonable and will enable you to name all your ships for a low cost, I'm happy with that and will probably buy a few different ones since I haven't spent any money on E:D in a long time.

Edit: Oh, and I think that the problem I and many others had with it was that it had the possibility of actually locking something not purely cosmetic behind a paywall. Say for example that a FDL lines up behind up when you are flying your cargo-ship on the approach to a station at a CG. Now, when you target it, is the ship called "PLAYERGROUP-police" or "GankZHammer IV"? Silly example of course, but you get the idea.

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    If the playerbase's idea of a "debacle" is modules and ships travelling instantly rather than on a half hour cooldown, your game is doing alright.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »

Stations always face the planets they orbit.

No, not always.

f2ry8izlbhx1.jpg

And even then there's a little bit of leeway apparently? It's good to hear that they're adding that though, I don't mind waiting for an update.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    If the playerbase's idea of a "debacle" is modules and ships travelling instantly rather than on a half hour cooldown, your game is doing alright.

Maybe, but when your decisions alienate a significant portion of your core audience, who arguably are the ones likely to spend the most in the game-store, it may be a good thing to rethink your strategy? While gamers at large tend to be, let's say a bit towards the hyperbolic side in their reactions, I'm still glad that they changed their mind and I will now spend money that I would not have done if they had stayed with the old plan.

Completely unrelated factoid that I learned today: Running shield-less strips your paintjob faster! Makes sense I suppose.

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    Arguably is right. One of the first things a community manager learns is not to listen to the loudest people. They aren't the best customers, they aren't the best players to have in your community and alienating them isn't necessary a bad thing. I have relatively little playtime week to week and spend a ton in the store, but I'm not the kind of person who goes onto the ED Reddit or official forums and screams about immersion. Frontier (if they're doing things properly) have data that links various account behaviours (playtime, forums use, feature use, etc) to various revenue streams.

The E:D community has a lot of babies in it. Those babies are loud, as babies are wont to be. They want everything their way, and immediately. Such is the remit of babies. Babies are not necessarily known for their spending power.

• Options
    MadPenMadPen San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Arguably is right. One of the first things a community manager learns is not to listen to the loudest people. They aren't the best customers, they aren't the best players to have in your community and alienating them isn't necessary a bad thing. I have relatively little playtime week to week and spend a ton in the store, but I'm not the kind of person who goes onto the ED Reddit or official forums and screams about immersion. Frontier (if they're doing things properly) have data that links various account behaviours (playtime, forums use, feature use, etc) to various revenue streams.

The E:D community has a lot of babies in it. Those babies are loud, as babies are wont to be. They want everything their way, and immediately. Such is the remit of babies. Babies are not necessarily known for their spending power.

How can this be? The career opportunities for babies are absolutely enormous. Huge, even.

3DS: 4098-4243-6127
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Thinking about it, you are probably right in that voicing your opinion and how much you spend are unlikely to be strongly correlated. However, there is also the goodwill-factor, and screaming people tend to make a disproportionate impact on the on-line reputation of games, whether their greivances are justified or not. Of course, without actual metrics this is just speculation, but my gut feeling is that Frontier will make more money by this decision than by the old one. "The plural of anecdote is not data" and all that, by at least they will get my money now as opposed to before! :P

Lodbrok on
  • Options
    I found a sun with rings.

A sun.

With motherfucking

Rings.

http://imgur.com/OW6wofF

• Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    Accretion disc!

• Options
    those are new right?

• Options
    Don't think they are that new, but they seem to be pretty rare. Nice find!

• Options
    I don't know if it's that I've never seen one before or just never noticed them when they popped up, but it was cool to find. I'd love to find one around a sexier sun type.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    So I know we have some experts on the background sim here, maybe someone can explain this to me: I have Duke rank (rank 9 or something) with the Empire and Warrant Officer rank (rank 5 or something) with the Federation. However, I'm allied (95%) with the federation and only friendly (75%) with the Empire?

Also it turns out I'm almost at the second ship unlock for the federation without even trying, so that's super nice. MAYBE I'LL GRIND FOR A CORVETTE OH GOD SOMEONE STOP ME

edit: it turns out reputation decays to 75%. So... poop.

Tube on
  • Options
    dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's that I've never seen one before or just never noticed them when they popped up, but it was cool to find. I'd love to find one around a sexier sun type.

They're usually a feature of a relatively young (pre-planetary) system that hasn't formed planets yet. Assuming Frontier stayed realistic on this one, I'd expect the stellar population eligible for them to be limited.

Now, around a black hole/neutron star? Totally, surprised we don't see it more apart from stuff like Sag-A.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    So what do them rings look like when you drop on in, eh?

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Basil wrote: »
    So what do them rings look like when you drop on in, eh?

I didn't drop in on it! That star type isn't on my filter. If I hadn't looked at the sector map I would have missed it.

• Options
    I wish I remembered more from the astronomy course I took looooong ago, but apparently debris disks are separate from proto-planetary disks. Perhaps they aren't as rare in real life as I thought, wonder if the stellar forge is realistic in how common they are...

• Options
    mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    I'd like to be able to set up scripted bindings for power distribution and subsystem targetting.

I did with voice attack. You can bind macros to voice commands.

so like, "full shields" would macro to down, then left left left.

ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • Options
    Yeah, voice attack is really nice for a lot of stuff but for distributor changes I really want that to be on a dime.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    You can also do keybinds with voice attack and not use the voice functionality. I don't know if there would a functional difference between target or voice attack. Target probably gives you more scripting freedom, though voice attack is really easy to set up macros on.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    oh, I did not know that. thanks!

• Options
    I got back home, made 35 million off the passenger and am bumped to about 15% Pioneer. I dinged allied with Sirius and got my Qwent invite. Only 18 modular terminals to go! I'm glad I can finally offload those when I get them. I also got up to level 5 with Martuk which is a nice thing to have.

I could probably ding Elite if I did another long range jag but I'm not sure I have the energy at the moment. I do really want that Founder's permit before the update though...

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    So I know we have some experts on the background sim here, maybe someone can explain this to me: I have Duke rank (rank 9 or something) with the Empire and Warrant Officer rank (rank 5 or something) with the Federation. However, I'm allied (95%) with the federation and only friendly (75%) with the Empire?

Also it turns out I'm almost at the second ship unlock for the federation without even trying, so that's super nice. MAYBE I'LL GRIND FOR A CORVETTE OH GOD SOMEONE STOP ME

edit: it turns out reputation decays to 75%. So... poop.

I don't like the Corvette all that much if it helps you. I do enjoy the Cutter for combat though (once you get used to the rear slinging around like a car on ice).

• Options
    Oh really? I thought the Corvette was the combat machine. I can't imagine using a Cutter in combat but that's largely because I've never flown one combat fitted, let alone engineered.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I ran some quick (possibly wrong) numbers on the 3 and 4 hardpoints on the Corvette, and it looks like the second huge hardpoint actually decreases its DPS.

Anaconda has one 4 and three 3 class hardpoints. The corvette has two 4s and one 3.

If you fill all of those with beam lasers (this should roughly work out for any weapon but beam lasers are at the top of the list so it's quicker) the Anaconda gets 118.7 burst DPS to the Corvette's 108.5. Sustained DPS is exactly the same.

The Anaconda pitches 1% slower, which sounds almost unnoticeable and rolls significantly more slowly (but will that ever decide a fight?) so the DPS difference isn't going to be made up by more time on target.

The only real thing that makes the Corvette a better combat ship is that it has stronger shields. We'll see how that shakes out once diminishing returns are in, but the Anaconda has very powerful shields anyway so that doesn't seem like a huge advantage. It's possible those shields mean that a Corvette would outpace an Anaconda if they were both just unloading their hardpoints at each other.

I don't know, I didn't spend a bunch of time theorycrafting but it seems like the Corvette is either slightly worse or slightly better than the Anaconda at most combat activities, which isn't great considering the Corvette costs 40 million more and is behind a rep gate. It has an extra size 7 slot I guess. That's neat? You could throw a 7A shield cell bank in there. It has an extra military compartment, but then the Anaconda has an extra size 5 (the highest hull reinforcement class).

I'm sure there are builds where the Corvette pulls ahead (maybe double PACs) but it looks like from a cost effectiveness standpoint it's way behind the Anaconda. And the Anaconda is multi-purpose!

Edit: The Corvette can hold more cargo so is probably a better trader considering they're otherwise neck and neck in terms of realspace performance. It can match the Anaconda for cargo while keeping a 7A shield, which is nice for a luxury trader. Way to go Corvette! The Anaconda dominates it as an explorer though, and honestly if you want a trade vessel and grind for the Corvette instead of the Cutter you're out of your mind.

Tube on
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Two huge weapons would do more damage to larger ships though, so it would be a benefit if you were fighting against them.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    Oh right, that's new isn't it? Last update? I don't think Elite Shipyard has a stat for that. I thought that it was size 3 & 4 that got the bonus but I'll admit to not following the meta much.

This discussion has been closed.