As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Oh really? I thought the Corvette was the combat machine. I can't imagine using a Cutter in combat but that's largely because I've never flown one combat fitted, let alone engineered.

With Dirty Drives 5, there is a massive difference. I mean, it still slides around, but you can keep guns on target (even using APAs).

I also enjoy the speed on the thing. With armor and module/HRPs, I still boost to 460, and jump around 23ly.

Bigity on
  • Options
    LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Not much to add about the big-3 discussion, I was also under the impression that the corvette as a pure combat ship comes out on top, and that the Conda may actually outperform the Cutter in capable hands? Only ever flown the conda so wouldn't really know.

Anyway, thought some of you guys might get a kick out of this, Sol to Sagittarius-A in 2 hours and 45 minutes:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/168568-Buckyball-Racing-Club-presents-The-A*-Challenge?p=5313205&viewfull=1#post5313205

Cmdr Allitnil is, from what I've gathered, something of a legend in the exploration community. No matter where you go on the fringes of the galaxy, it is likely that he/she will have been there tagging the hardest to reach places already.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Would you believe that I'd never heard of Hutton Orbital? Well, I sure know about it know. I always thought that people complaining about the in-game distances in systems with more than one star were whining a bit. Sure, flying for 10-15 minutes is a long time, but it's not like Elite is a game of instant gratification, and I kinda enjoy the slower rhythms of the game.

... about 45 minutes later, and I'm still 1.8 million Ls away from Hutton fucking Orbital. Well, that's one place I'll never go back to afterwards, but I'll go there just once, to stop off, grab some rare commodities - and probably do something really nasty in the station's restroom. It'll be cathartic.

(Seriously: If there are distances this big that can't be covered more efficiently, they'd better add something to while away the time in-game, at least for those of us playing in VR. Radio stations, a Gamepig, anything.)

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Haha, well, every cmdr should do the trip to Hutton Orbital at least once as a rite of passage :P

Long ago there was a CG there, it was one of the most unique experiences I've had in E:D, both good and bad, and at lot of what made it speciel was the absurd time it took to get there, especially when you did it over and over again to ship in goods. Those approaches to the station were pretty intense!

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Oh right, that's new isn't it? Last update? I don't think Elite Shipyard has a stat for that. I thought that it was size 3 & 4 that got the bonus but I'll admit to not following the meta much.

Nah, it's not new. It's been that way for a long time, but they're taking the differences up a notch.

If you're interested in the numbers and equations, you can find them in this thread (shout outs to Frenotx for being awesome):
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/224474-Explained-Hull-and-Armor-Damage-Mechanics-Hardness-Piercing-Etc

[edit] I forgot some things in my explanation and misremembered. Just read the link! Hehe

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    That Buckyball run is insane. I kind of want to try and speedrun to Sagittarius A* now, although I'd need to look up the correct neutron star technique to avoid fuckups. If losing a few light years is possible, you could even take a passenger...

I'm interested in whether he got back afterwards or just ditches the ship. The AFMs would be getting pretty dry surely?

• Options
    For someone with that much experience at travelling, going slightly slower would probably mean taking no damage at all so a return-trip should be quite doable. On the other hand, perhaps a trip back is just a nuisance in setting up for the next attempt? Pretty sure that run took a lot of scouting, and perhaps even a dry-run or two.

• Options
    I think using neutron boosts damages the FSD no matter what?

Scouting is definitely a big thing, because you need to have the whole route bookmarked. Happily, he posted it in the thread so I could just copy it if I wanted to. It would still take probably an hour or so of setup though, and I'd have to delete all my existing bookmarks.

• Options
    General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    I'm patching my game to give Elite another try after a year+ of time for them to work on the game.

I have an addiction to stupid-long jump ranges and I heard that these Engineers can supercharge my FSD.

Can someone please give me a quick rundown of the current state of how Engineer upgrades work and an efficient way to grind whatever materials that I need to supercharge my FSD?

My assets for funding this upgrade are an Anaconda in a trader configuration and a large sum of credits in my bank account (a few hundred million I think?)

3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • Options
    1) You get invites to certain engineers by doing certain things (rep with a minor faction, getting some combat bonds, whatever)
    2) You can then go to said engineer and unlock them by doing something else (traveling X distance, mining 500 cargo, turning in combat bonds, materials, whatever)
    3) That engineer will then give you access to their modifications, starting at rank 1 (typically they go up to 5, some only 4)
    4) You then gain rep/rank with the engineer by turning in materials for modification attempts (you don't have to actually apply them, just turn in materials and roll on the RNG). Each rank requires 3 of the previous rank (getting to rank 2 requires 3x rank 1 mods). You can also do certain things for some to gain rank at a slow rate (such as turn in exploration data, sell things at the market, so on). You can also do lower rank mods (I think like 12 rank 1s get you from rank 2 to 3 and so on).
    5) For weapon special affects you can either change your special effect roll (at the cost of one rank), or buy a specific special effect (2 ranks). You then regain rank normally. Max rank for any engineer is 5.

• Options
    Materials come from many sources:

Mining
    Surface prospecting
    Scanning ships
    Scanning high wakes
    Blowing up ships and picking up salvage
    Missions
    Signal sources
    Planetary base scanning

You might remember having to have cargo items for some engineering mods. That is no longer the case - no mod needs cargo to perform. A couple of engineers still need these items to unlock however.

• Options
    For FSD you want to unlock Felicity Farseer

• Options
    Any reason to favor Farseer over Martuuk?

I'm trying to read through some wikis and it looks like both of them can give me the same FSD's but Martuuk ultimately introduces me to someone who can maximize my sublight drives.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    They'll both get the job done.

• Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Something I wish FDev did more with is giving more reason to care about the factions and systems in the game. It's hard to find a "home" system because there isn't really anything to make me stay in one system, save a few like Lave or Maia, Colonia etc. However I can't see a way they could do that with minor factions really. It's a tough one.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    I think there is a lot they could do with the factions/bgs, if they only could let themselves allow the players to have slightly more influence over the game. Many cmdrs in E:D are refugees from Eve I think, and there is usually a lot of screaming as soon as suggestions along those lines come up, but it would really help with feeling a connection to the local factions if this aspect was developed some more. Maybe being able to pledge to local factions for a small bonus in outfitting and trade-prices? No direct influence over the factions would be necessary, but I'd love if there was a way to influence what the factions actually do when they increase in influence. For example, the faction I support in my home-system is usually in expansion, but I'd like it more if they spent the resources on expanding the local economy with more out-fitting etc. The contacts with portraits could also be fleshed out more and show more reaction to what happens in the game for more flavour.

Some interesting info about story-line developments in this new Obsidian Ant video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7hQk1JxIl98

• Options
    Lodbrok wrote: »
    I think there is a lot they could do with the factions/bgs, if they only could let themselves allow the players to have slightly more influence over the game. Many cmdrs in E:D are refugees from Eve I think, and there is usually a lot of screaming as soon as suggestions along those lines come up, but it would really help with feeling a connection to the local factions if this aspect was developed some more. Maybe being able to pledge to local factions for a small bonus in outfitting and trade-prices? No direct influence over the factions would be necessary, but I'd love if there was a way to influence what the factions actually do when they increase in influence. For example, the faction I support in my home-system is usually in expansion, but I'd like it more if they spent the resources on expanding the local economy with more out-fitting etc. The contacts with portraits could also be fleshed out more and show more reaction to what happens in the game for more flavour.

Some interesting info about story-line developments in this new Obsidian Ant video:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=7hQk1JxIl98

Yeah I'd agree. Some more player influence over the game world would add alot of interest to what's going on. As it is right now the galaxy still feels rather static. Things ARE changing of course, and often, but not in ways that feel meaningful to me. For example there isn't much reason to fight other players right now. Once you've got an Anaconda or whatever what do you do with all that money? Why wing up at all?

Not trying to be overly negative (I know I can be sometimes), just looking at the game and thinking about my time with EVE Online. That game's combat sucks but man it nails the "real people are out here doing stuff in the galaxy" vibe.

• Options
    From what I recall they're actively hostile to the idea of making this more like Eve and I don't really blame them. I'm glad Eve exists but I don't want this game to be Eve.

I agree that changes being more obvious would be a good thing though. Right now I mostly ignore the BGS.

• Options
    What's really strange is that they have a system like Powerplay with absolutely no guild chat or similar. You literally have no way to collaborate with other people in the faction in game. It's a very strange choice.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    A lot of people want to build Fort Kickass in space. It's like building a home in minecraft or any of the big survival games like ARC. Your Fort doesn't really do much to affect the game at large, but it's yours. I'd love to have my own mini-base somewhere in the galaxy that I could call home instead of renting a berth in the public stations all the time.

It's a shame that there is such a loud subset of players that is vehemently opposed to players becoming more than nomadic space hobos that drift between "help wanted" boards and community goals.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    A lot of people want to build Fort Kickass in space. It's like building a home in minecraft or any of the big survival games like ARC. Your Fort doesn't really do much to affect the game at large, but it's yours. I'd love to have my own mini-base somewhere in the galaxy that I could call home instead of renting a berth in the public stations all the time.

It's a shame that there is such a loud subset of players that is vehemently opposed to players becoming more than nomadic space hobos that drift between "help wanted" boards and community goals.

Well building isn't an Eve thing is it? I agree that would be fun. It sounds like a huge update though. Maybe they'll get to it at some point!

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Building was an EvE thing in the form of player owned stations, so that's exactly the sort of thing that triggers the knee jerk objection. Especially since my understanding is that stations were beyond the reach of the assets of many individual players and were generally created as group efforts of corporations. Those larger scale group efforts REALLY strike a nerve with the those people.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    I'd much rather a system where players are able to create things for themselves. I have no interest in teaming up with a huge group. I don't think players should necessarily be able to create stations or other huge things, but there's a lot of room on planets for personal bases

• Options
    From what I recall they're actively hostile to the idea of making this more like Eve and I don't really blame them. I'm glad Eve exists but I don't want this game to be Eve.

I agree that changes being more obvious would be a good thing though. Right now I mostly ignore the BGS.

I don't want this to become EVE (Evlite?) either, but I would really like more community aspects to the game. If they aren't going to add significant new depth to the game's basic features anytime soon atleast give us things to do those basic gameplay features as a community. Like what @General_Armchair said about PowerPlay and it's lack of any organization / guild style chat systems.

PP seems like exactly the sort of thing where they could flag a few stations as capturable which enables them to be literally fought over and directly damaged in combat (but never destroyed) along with some in-game PP faction guild chat. That would make PP way more fun and meaningful! Just stuff like that. However as been already said, there is a big sentiment against anything like that. So instead we have a game where you can never be anything other than a roaming freelancer, gathering credits by doing basic gameplay alone that is very well done and very fun but loses it's luster after awhile because that's just all there is to it.

• Options
    DarkMecha wrote: »

I don't want this to become EVE (Evlite?) either, but I would really like more community aspects to the game. If they aren't going to add significant new depth to the game's basic features anytime soon atleast give us things to do those basic gameplay features as a community. Like what @General_Armchair said about PowerPlay and it's lack of any organization / guild style chat systems.

PP seems like exactly the sort of thing where they could flag a few stations as capturable which enables them to be literally fought over and directly damaged in combat (but never destroyed) along with some in-game PP faction guild chat. That would make PP way more fun and meaningful! Just stuff like that. However as been already said, there is a big sentiment against anything like that. So instead we have a game where you can never be anything other than a roaming freelancer, gathering credits by doing basic gameplay alone that is very well done and very fun but loses it's luster after awhile because that's just all there is to it.

(that was me)

I definitely think Powerplay needs a pass, and I believe they've mentioned feeling the same at some point. There's a lot of capture style gameplay that could go into that. Maybe scheduled, instanced battle events over territory or stations! That shouldn't even need a bunch of work.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I was pretty heavy into the BGS. I joined a decent sized player group, and we basically worked it together to advance our minor faction. We started wars (NPC and players), lowered other factions' influence that were getting too close to us, etc. It's easily something they can build the game around, but like... they don't try? The tools to do this are hidden, or as good as hidden. Even if you join a minor faction, you don't really join it in game. There's nothing to mark that you've done that in the game. The NPCs don't care, and the players can't tell until unless you specifically tell them.

It's weird, because FDev does support the minor factions as guilds idea. You can make up a faction for yourself and your friends and FDev will put them in the game. But that's about where it ends aside from manipulating the BGS to expand the faction's influence. If they just picked up on this and made it more interactive, it would open up SO MUCH. The small factions are small enough that you can have guilds spring up, die out, split, merge, etc. All these things that player groups routinely do, you might not want the major factions doing. So like, have the players be direct members of these groups and remove the obfuscation of how to play the BGS and such.

You still have the major powers over these minor factions, so the storyline won't get too far afield. Power Play almost makes sense (in theory) when you're supporting a minor faction directly, then the Power Play person as your contact within the larger major power. But even still, PP in general needs a lot of work.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    That whole first season of updates was a dog. Wings was basic functionality that barely counts as an update, Powerplay didn't work and CQC was DOA. I'm glad they seemed to get their roadmap under control for season 2, so far every update has had great stuff in it.

• Options
    Sorry about that @Tube , wasn't paying close enough attention to who said what.

Anyways I'd love if if we could show up as being part of a minor faction and stuff. That would rock! We just need something to make it feel like there is more to get invested in than our own personal ship. I want to feel like more of a part of the ED universe, not just a guy earning credits for the sake of doing so.

• Options
    What's really strange is that they have a system like Powerplay with absolutely no guild chat or similar. You literally have no way to collaborate with other people in the faction in game. It's a very strange choice.

Yes, Frontier are pretty schizophrenic in their approach to the whole "player-group" thing. It is obvious that some in the company obviously likes the idea, see for example the group-leader only forum (which pisses me of to no end, but that is another story), and the colonia migration appeal (which was also handled in an atrocious way by the community managers), and yet they refuse to implement the tools that would be necessary for "real" MMO-like game.

• Options
    Something else that ED is missing is the high risk / high reward gameplay that ends up making for great stories. There is no item you can find, nothing you can do, that will be "the big pay off" to catapult you from rags to riches, but could also ruin you. Your not going to find a hidden treasure worth 100mil credits or anything, anywhere. Conversely unless you fly the most blinged out big 3 ship, you don't really need to worry about being destroyed either. Chances are you could rebuy your ship 10x over before you'd have cause for concern if your not at the edge of your budget. Instead of risk reward it's only easy-steady. Abit more danger in Elite Dangerous would be nice.

That said I haven't messed around in CGs for awhile. Might be fun to do that, get ganked by corvette wings for abit. Not like I can't afford to replace my courier a million times lol. (Actually I have 90mil and my rebuy is about 500k, so 180 times.)

• Options
    edited March 2017
    I think some of my ships have an 8mil rebuy cost (Trader Tycoon with 600 mil in the bank. The speed limit in the station is drastically too slow and is for chumps)

My experience leveling up is that there are narrow windows where you can place yourself at getting downgraded back to sidewinder if you upgrade to early and fly without insurance and sink the remainder of your capital into uninsured cargo, but for the most part all the risks of the death can be avoided if you avoid overextending like that that.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Insurance in this game is still one of the most punishing death mechanics I've ever seen. It's fine.

There comes a point where complaints turn from "I wish the game improved in this way" to "this game is dumb because I created a better game in my head and this game isn't it"

• Options
    edited March 2017
    Insurance really should be something we pay for upfront rather than a fee calculated upon death. That is would have dramatically cut down on the pleas to tech support to magic their ships back into existence.

Edit:
    In that it will be crystal clear if you're flying insured or not. Yes or no. Preferably with disclaimers if you try to launch uninsured.

Better that than calculating your insurance cost vs your liquid capital, which can dip below the red line shortly after upgrades if you're not attentive.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    Explorer deaths are probably the most punishing since they have the most man hours at risk between pay days.

For everyone else it's either a slap on the wrist if you're flying with sufficient funds to rebuy, or extremely punishing if you're flying around with an empty pocket book (which can be avoided by not doing that).

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    It's a video game though. Why does death need to be punishing? Moreover, why demand that this game be more punishing than any other game that's ever existed? How does the fact that people supposedly ask tech support to magic their ships back to life affect your life in any way?

Tube on
  • Options
    Greater risks make accomplishments sweeter.

3DS Friend Code:
  • Options
    So fly without shields. Play iron man and wipe out your ship if you die. You can make the game as challenging as you want with self-imposed challenges, without wrecking the game for anyone who isn't ultra-hardcore.

• Options
    edited March 2017
    So fly without shields. Play iron man and wipe out your ship if you die. You can make the game as challenging as you want with self-imposed challenges, without wrecking the game for anyone who isn't ultra-hardcore.

While making up your own challenges is neat, it's not nearly as satisfying as the feeling of maxing yourself out and still finding new challenges to push that.

Also I wasn't saying rebuy costs should be higher or anything. I just mean that there isn't much high risk high reward in the game currently. Except for maybe big hauls of cargo. Does that actually turn enough of a profit for it to be worth the risk? It always seemed like high risk low reward to me when I've ran the numbers on it. Another question - is cargo insurance an actual thing you can get in game?

I might fly about in a sidewinder for awhile actually. I miss that plucky thing's engine sounds.

DarkMecha on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    Elite Dangerous needs more kinds of crime.

What if you could commit insurance fraud
    dont mind me, I'll just be coming up with dumb ideas over here

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Elite Dangerous needs more kinds of crime.

What if you could commit insurance fraud
    dont mind me, I'll just be coming up with dumb ideas over here

Wanted Dead Or Alive (HAHAHA but no just dead) For: Space Insurance Fraud. 100 Cr Bounty!

This discussion has been closed.