As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Elite: Dangerous] Get a ship, get a crew and keep flying. Now with ALIENS.

• General_ArmchairGeneral_Armchair Registered User regular
    edited March 2017
    @DarkMecha
    About bulk commodity trading, risk is a function of how much you can potentially lose compared to how likely you are to fail.

Bulk trading risks a lot of capital in the commodities that you buy. Sometimes the value of your cargo hold is worth as much or more than your ship. However the pilot is in control of a lot of variables which reduces the odds of loss.

First it's unlikely that the pilot will suffer a monetary loss at point of sale as long as the pilot checks the market prices first since the markets in elite are very simple and not very volatile. Profit rate can be estimated with high precision.

The primary risk is interdiction by an aggressor. However the best routes are picked to have very rapid transit times, so players spend a minimum amount of time in super cruise. For example, before the introduction of surface markets shifted the sweetspots of the best trade routes, the centerpiece of one of my old trade routes was Thornycroft Terminal in the Kuwair system. Generally it's orbit places it a mere 5 light seconds from the jump in point. Furthermore the station's orbit placed it around its host body in such a way that it was easy to gravity brake for a high speed station approach. So on the best routes there is simply little opportunity for an NPC to spawn and interdict you. Even players would be hard pressed to interdict you unless they knew your route and were lying in wait, but player threats can be avoided by playing in solo or private group modes since there is no incentive to trade in open and it's foolish to take on added risk for no additional reward.

The remaining hazards are accidentally mishaps. You can potentially be destroyed if you jump into a neutron star or something, but that risk is eliminated by scouting a route before you run it for real.

There is the threat of crashing at the station, but traders quickly amass far more experience with docking procedures than fighters and explorers. Accidents happen but they're rare.

So overall I'd say that bulk trading is only moderate to low risk once you take into account the odds of failure. You just need to do your homework on your route first and be mindful of the capital that you're swinging around. You need to have enough capital on hand to rebuy your cargo load again in addition to your insurance fees. If you can't afford to do that, then you need to load up with cheaper goods like gold and silver instead of palladium or imperial slaves.

As far as cargo insurance, it exists but to my knowledge it is limited to cargo given to you for certain missions. That said my knowledge is outdated. Also there isn't much room for insurance fees for the high roller items like palladium since the profit margins per run are very slim. The profit of moving them is centered around pushing around huge sums capital to wring superior profit per ton (and in turn per trip) than you get from moving cheaper goods with superior profit margins.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    Armchair: 4098-3704-2012
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Elite Dangerous needs more kinds of crime.

What if you could commit insurance fraud
    dont mind me, I'll just be coming up with dumb ideas over here

I want the option of jettisoning particularly irritating passengers.

Not without penalty, of course. Isn't that why the reputation bar and bounties exist?

But it ought to be a thing.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »

Not without penalty, of course. Isn't that why the reputation bar and bounties exist?

I've done it before :D

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Yeah you can fully do that. I once self destructed the ship because fuck that guy, I wanted to be sure

• DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Tried EVE Online again abit since I hadn't for years. Man...it has not aged well in many ways. Mostly though I've taken for granted the very 'solid' feeling to everything in ED. It's absence is -immediately- noticeable in EVE.

ED may not have depth in some areas where I want it to, but man it's basics really are fantastically well done.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
    Man Frontier literally just sent me a birthday present. Their community game is on point. Maybe they've been reading the thread.

Bigity wrote: »

Wow. I stand corrected! :D

Woohoo.

I'm still looking for the mats for a Tier 5 FSD upgrade, but I rolled damn near a maximum value for jump range for a Tier 4 FSD upgrade for my Anaconda!

3DS Friend Code:
    I have to track down some datamined wake exceptions.

I don't feel like playing this week so I'm logging in every now and then to see if I can get passenger missions to the same place.

• LodbrokLodbrok Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Man Frontier literally just sent me a birthday present. Their community game is on point. Maybe they've been reading the thread.

Hope will have/had a nice birthday Tube! What did they send you?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

I've done that too

Only my passenger was actually a cargohold full of slaves

JtgVX0H.png
    After seeing that explorer build I've downgraded my distributor to 1A or something stupid and my power plant to 4A. According to the outfitting menu, that's increased my heat efficiency. I hope that's how it works out.

PP question: can you really still dock at stations exploited by hostile powers? That just seems...lame! They are supposed to be your enemy, why would they let you dock? :/

I can only chalk that up to gross incompetence.

These are the same stations that just give up instead of sending a security team to pad 12 to check on the ship whose response to a routine customs scan was to hit his afterburners and boost through the mail slot.

3DS Friend Code:
    Jesus you two are negative.

edited March 2017
    Well at least the stations no longer fill up with the burnt out husks of the npc ships that got confused and punished with death for loitering.

Edit :
    And the incompetence jab was aimed at traffic control and system security, not the devs. Like making fun of how star wars stormtroopers can't hit what they're aiming at.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    I had a dream about Elite yesterday, which is notable because I haven't really been playing it. Anyway, Thargoids had been added without me knowing and they were fucking terrifying. They would pull you out of hyperspace and then send little green gremlins to smash through your canopy and eat you alive. It wiped your save, because your character is dead.

That reminds me, the Federation President went missing shortly before power play. Did they ever conclude that story?

3DS Friend Code:
    edited March 2017
    Jesus you two are negative.

I just like things to make sense. Plus I thought this whole time that you couldn't dock at hostile stations, so I was surprised.

You are right though we have been abit negative about this awesome game. Let me flip it around and be super positive for a moment.
    The stuff in this video, this stuff is freaking awesome. This stuff is in this game, right now. Even if it isn't perfect this game has -alot- of really neat stuff going on and in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSwte6iXCQ8&feature=youtu.be

This video too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMFDttoTZPI

I love Elite Dangerous and I'm hard on it because I love it. Because it has so much potential! However it can eba easy to lose sight of how great it is already.

DarkMecha on
    @Darkmecha, I posted that Crusina video during the last few weeks, funny that we both picked that specific one!

As for being critical, well.. it is possible to appreciate a game and still be highly critical of some design elements in it. E:D does so many things so right, that it is truly baffling why some other things are as bad as they are. I think I've said it before, technically and from a scientific stand-point the game is brilliant in many ways, from a game-design standpoint less so in many aspects. Take for example the recent thing were they have nerfed the payout to scale with rank of the crew members. I fully understand that the rational behind that is keeping some sort of progression in the game but... it makes no sense why it would work that way in the game-world, and more importantly, this is from a company that has left gaping exploits, that let a new player achieve a Conda in a week, open for months. It's just odd, but that is Elite Dangerous for you.

Here is something entirely different that I found interesting. I love the DBX, along with the Cobra MkIII I think it is my favourite ship in the game, and looking at the stats it seems that is can almost keep up with an Asp even when buckyballing, although it takes a bit more skill when flying it to its limit:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/340119-The-DBX-vs-Asp-X-A-tale-of-two-fuel-scoops%E2%80%A6

Nice! I think once I've tired of playing around with multi-crew after 2.3 drops, it's time to head into the black again. There are things stirring out there in the inky void between the stars, something is about to happen soon if I read the signs right...

The thing is, if you ever work in software development none of that stuff is a mystery. They have a huge list of things that they need to get to and some of them matter more than others. Something that might seem to us like an easy fix are actually very difficult. It could be that it was originally coded by a guy who left 12 months ago and no one can understand his code. It could be that something has a bunch of hooks in it and changing it changes twelve other things. Every time it's a "this isn't how it would work in real life!" they're factoring in the importance of that compared to switching it to something that might piss off the other 70% of their playerbase who don't care about whether it's "realistic". Changing the Big Money Combat Zone exploit, for example, meant changing that one particular part of their mission system so that it could only stack three times. That's not anywhere near as easy as it sounds. That isn't changing an integer in a notepad file. I guarantee you that meant some really fiddly shit that the mission system wasn't designed to handle. Removing access to powerplay factions that are hostile to you (ie, every one you're not a member of) would cut off 95% of the bubble and ensure that no one ever played powerplay, ever.

I didn't work on the game, I don't know anyone that does and I don't have a dog in this fight. I just find the constant chorus that the developers are bad and lazy and don't know anything about game design (which is a statement that needs to be backed up with a curriculum vitae) is fucking exhausting. I see the explanation that the "gross incompetence" line above was supposed to be kayfabe, but consider that it also fit perfectly into the general tone of regular posting.

I understand that it's possible to strangle discussion with "no one say anything negative ever", but it's also super possible to strangle discussion by having a thread that's such a slog to read through for people that enjoy playing the game that no one wants to bother.

edited March 2017
    Fair enough Tube. I'm probably being too hard on them.

I will be ecstatic when we get missions or mechanics that involve the new structures, outposts, and megaships they have added to the game. That's something they've said is coming eventually so it's just a matter of time.
    Speaking of, found a neat science installation:
    PtBgM26XI.bmp
    PtCnbCyWs.bmp

DarkMecha on
    The thing is, if you ever work in software development none of that stuff is a mystery. They have a huge list of things that they need to get to and some of them matter more than others. Something that might seem to us like an easy fix are actually very difficult. It could be that it was originally coded by a guy who left 12 months ago and no one can understand his code. It could be that something has a bunch of hooks in it and changing it changes twelve other things. Every time it's a "this isn't how it would work in real life!" they're factoring in the importance of that compared to switching it to something that might piss off the other 70% of their playerbase who don't care about whether it's "realistic". Changing the Big Money Combat Zone exploit, for example, meant changing that one particular part of their mission system so that it could only stack three times. That's not anywhere near as easy as it sounds. That isn't changing an integer in a notepad file. I guarantee you that meant some really fiddly shit that the mission system wasn't designed to handle. Removing access to powerplay factions that are hostile to you (ie, every one you're not a member of) would cut off 95% of the bubble and ensure that no one ever played powerplay, ever.

I didn't work on the game, I don't know anyone that does and I don't have a dog in this fight. I just find the constant chorus that the developers are bad and lazy and don't know anything about game design (which is a statement that needs to be backed up with a curriculum vitae) is fucking exhausting. I see the explanation that the "gross incompetence" line above was supposed to be kayfabe, but consider that it also fit perfectly into the general tone of regular posting.

I understand that it's possible to strangle discussion with "no one say anything negative ever", but it's also super possible to strangle discussion by having a thread that's such a slog to read through for people that enjoy playing the game that no one wants to bother.

I hope no one thinks that Frontier are lazy or bad developers, everything I seen points to the opposite. I've never worked on anything other than small software projects, and only in fields far removed from game development, but I do have some experience in project management and what that means when it comes to organisation and documentation.

In an established development-house such as Frontier, the workflows and documentation should (and in all likelyhood are) set up properly so that the situation with someone disappearing with the knowledge about the code hopefully is not an issue. Likewise with the actual quality of the developers, and the standards they follow, I've seen from sources that have actually worked at Frontier that they are really strict on coding standards how they implement things when it comes to future proofing and code-standards. The only thing I can think of that remains to explain the discrepancies we see in the game is the actual management/assignment of work-hours to the various things that need attention, and concious design-choices about how the game should evolve. Of course, this is from the point-of-view of an end-user, and Frontier have shown a willingness to back down and change things when they make unpopular choices so credit where credit is due.

Anyway, I hope I'm not coming across as to negative, I usually only post when I came across some tid-bit I've stumbled upon that I think you guys find interesting! :D

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    In an established development-house such as Frontier, the workflows and documentation should (and in all likelyhood are) set up properly so that the situation with someone disappearing with the knowledge about the code hopefully is not an issue.
    As someone who's part of a software company which has been around for 20+ years, you'd be surprised. I hope it's not the same for Frontier, but it's something that can definitely happen.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2017
    In the past week and a half since my cell phone died leaving me unable to post on these boards due to work filters I have done some mighty silly things. Namely I plonked down money for a Gunfighter, the VKB T-Rudder, and ordered a Thrustmaster 16000m FCS. The plan is to use it as is until my Gunfighter shows up and then try out dual stick. If I like it, hurray, if not, then I have the 160000m throttle to hold me over until I can find something better. I also found out you can reserve a Gunfighter order for free with no commitment if you email the VKB North America rep so I put myself down for a Gunfighter Base Only for when their lefty space sim stick emerges from the development shadows. Finally, I got myself a TrackIR 5 to replace my old broken TrackIR 4. When I get home from work I'm gonna be back in the cockpit in a BIG way :D I'm thinking about installing DCS World while I'm at it cause fuck it, might as well at this point!

Now that I know I can have ships and equipment delivered wherever I want in the galaxy Elite has just turned into Pokeships. My new goal is to get one of each ship and A Rate the fucker, starting with a Sidewinder and working my way up. Anyone that has played MWO with me knows I don't fuck around with this sorta thing and take my obsessive ship collecting quite seriously.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Having ships and equipment delivered was a fucking game changer, it makes everything so much more convenient. I just really wish I could store more than fifty modules, because there's a ton of stuff I want to store. Adding storage space (and bookmark space for the map) would be a smart store purchase I think. Once I ding elite, I'm obviously going to make Founder's World my home base and build up a ship collection there.

I cued up a bunch of explorer missions and now I'm heading back into the black with a heavily tuned ship. I got my jump range up to the high 30s (with only around a level 2 tuned FSD) which has made 1k LY into 32 jumps, down from 39. That'll add up. This trip isn't as long as the others I've done, but there are multiple stops which should add some interest. I'm also not carrying any fucking modular terminals this time so don't have to worry as much about getting pulled over. I was lucky in that I got out of the station without an exit scan, which considerably improves my margin of error for failing these. I think my payout if I finish will be around 70million

edited March 2017
    Having ships and equipment delivered was a fucking game changer, it makes everything so much more convenient. I just really wish I could store more than fifty modules, because there's a ton of stuff I want to store. Adding storage space (and bookmark space for the map) would be a smart store purchase I think. Once I ding elite, I'm obviously going to make Founder's World my home base and build up a ship collection there.

Yeah, that feature didn't exist the last time I played. Trying to go from stupid idea to stupid idea was an absolute PITA back then which contributed a lot to my bowing out in frustration. Knowing that now I can just stockpile guns and ships and just go make myself a sandwich IRL while Space FedEx delivers my stuff wherever I want for my next great dumb idea adventure is a huge boon. I can fuck off to go do a CG or try my hand at mining or get really drunk in an Eagle and see how long I can last in a Conflict Zone and it's nbd.

It's interesting how the same general problems exist across completely different careers. When I started working on the MSD system at work I made the mistake of trying to run it like it's SUPPOSED to be run which uncovered a ton of different problems, leaks, etc. The prior engineers didn't document anything for shit and were basically incompetent so untangling things has caused fix A to cause problems B-D. Fixing those uncovers problems E-I. Etc. etc. etc. Hell, just yesterday we found out that they were using the wrong fucking fuses on the control power transformers for the units because they couldn't be bothered to read the fucking wiring line diagrams. We found that out because some solenoids had shorted out and were blowing some fuses. The solenoids had shorted out because the system those are for were not being used even though they're supposed to be. They were turned on because I turned them on for the first time in ages. Turns out they were turned off because they were fucked up and the prior engineer's solution was to just shut them off entirely and not say anything. I turned them on because apparently I'm a god damn genius for actually reading the manual before ever touching the units.

With this sort of understanding from my career I would never dare to assume wtf is going on with a game's development behind the scenes because 99/100 times I don't know shit about it and am therefore completely uninformed and unqualified to make any sort of opinion about it much like how I tend to get pretty curt with people at work who get uppity with me about things going on they don't know shit about.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    One of the examples of something that I can imagine being a code nightmare is the combat zone exploit. People complaining about it said "the problem is just that each kill is counted by every mission, so they should just change that", which I have a sneaking suspicion would involve pulling all of the mission code out and starting again. It likely doesn't have any hook for saying "hey these guys count towards this mission only"

Software dev is a fucking nightmare eh.

Darmak wrote: »

I've done that too

Cargo doesn't count, heh. But passengers? I didn't think you could eject them while traveling.

I'm not sure if you can eject them just any old time but you can certainly eject them if the mission is over for whatever reason.

On the talk of home bases, I think I'm going to try to find a nice place somewhere within 40-50 light years of Jackson's Lighthouse.

It's the only neutron star that I know of near the bubble. With a long jumping conda and the 4x range boosts from a neutron star, it should let me rapidly transit to any location in the bubble within a ~200+ ly radius sphere of the lighthouse.

3DS Friend Code:
    Ooh, a neutron star base is a really fun idea. I really want to try that superhighway to the Centre but I'd have to clear all my bookmarks...

edited March 2017
    Darmak wrote: »

I've done that too

Cargo doesn't count, heh. But passengers? I didn't think you could eject them while traveling.

Do you suffer any serious penalties for doing this?

Asking for a friend.
    Ooh, a neutron star base is a really fun idea. I really want to try that superhighway to the Centre but I'd have to clear all my bookmarks...

The idea of a starbase in synchronous orbit with a neutron star that lets you dock from a safe direction but then exit right into the magnetic discharge is just....hnnnnnnnnggggggggggg. An interstellar super toll both that functions as a refuel/repair point for extended neutron star highway use.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    That is a sick idea!

My latest control modification for exploring: I got sick of reaching all the way over to my throttle to hit the switch for a discovery scan after every jump, so I set a voice attack command to loop it. It turns out there's a cooldown on hitting the scan again, so you have to throw in a 15 second pause too.

In an ideal world, I'd get it to trigger on hearing the "come out of frame shift" noise but I don't think voice attack can trigger based on a sound that isn't language

edited March 2017
    I never thought about automating the scanner.

How long does it take to scan? Can you run the scanner while your FSD is spinning up? If yes and the scan time is short enough, you might be able to honk on your way out of the system.

Edit :
    Wait, does using the discovery scanner toggle hardpoints in real space? I don't think that I've ever used it in real space. Using them both at once would probably inhibit jumps from real space by opening your hardpoints.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
    It doesn't deploy hardpoints. The scan takes around ten seconds and the cooldown is around 15. Spinning up the FSD doesn't kill it. It's possible with really unfortunate timing and a very quick jump that you could miss the scan but so far I haven't missed a single one.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    That reminds me, the Federation President went missing shortly before power play. Did they ever conclude that story?

Eventually was found, apparently mad mumbling something foreshadowy about something something. Yanked out of public view and apparently being debriefed/studied somewhere.

Eventually was found, apparently mad mumbling something foreshadowy about something something. Yanked out of public view and apparently being debriefed/studied somewhere.

Actually there is a current CG issued by her: https://community.elitedangerous.com/en/galnet/uid/58dd1baa15ac1c697123102e

edited March 2017
    Ok, I'm going to experiment with something so stupid that it might work.

I've outfitted my Imperial Clipper into a multi-role ship for collecting engineer mats. It has an acceptable jump range, enough component slots to do a lot of things, good enough in combat for generic PvE combat, and fast enough to outrun anything that outclasses it and sprint to FSD wakes for scanning. However, when seeking the Type-7's and Type-9's that seem to be good sources of chemical manipulators, the clipper's reliance on gimbaled weapons for its awkward weapon mounts proved troublesome with the chaff launchers common on those freighters. Victory was never in doubt, but breaking lock to dumbfire doesn't work as well with the clipper's weapon configuration.

So I'm building a specialty ship for hunting those freigthers. Something that won't be aggravated by chaff and can kill them really fast before they chicken out and try to jump away. The SMART approach is to outfit a FDL or something. But it's asymmetrical cockpit aggravates me to no end.

I'm going to try hunting cargo freights in an Orca. I'm outfitting her for maximized ramming potential. That means I'm mostly B rating her for mass and practically building her out of hull reinforcement packages.

https://coriolis.io/outfit/orca/2pftkFglqdlsgf41t1s1s040404042d044a2d2bC0276c.Iw19gDKQ.AwgsGYWAmWv4BGUxRA==

When specced out in coriolis.io, she's a 1055 ton missile capable of boosting in excess of 400 with stock equipment with 364 MJ shields and 2070 points of armor. One large and two medium fixed fragment cannons are present to blap the target at point blank range if it survives the impact. Power management is tight, but it works if I turn life support off when I deploy hardpoints and the limpet controller disabled until the fight is over.

This might be fun.

edit:
    I just realized that makes her a kiloton missile :O

edit 2:
    Just finally managed to purchase and outfit her. She's not exactly the same as that link. Some of her hull reinforcement packages are different so she has less armor than the above...however she does have more mass. I'm not quite sure which is actually more desirable. I just boosted into the rear wall of the station. She can't maintain 400+ boost speed before speed starts degrading, but I impacted the rear wall at ~380. Surprisingly the shields didn't pop.

General_Armchair on
    3DS Friend Code:
This discussion has been closed.