As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Netflix and chill thread (also other streaming services I suppose)

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Sandler, Gervais, Seinfeld

It's like Netflix wants to just give money to comedians I dislike the most

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    It's funny, I love Seinfeld the show, but I've never really been a huge fan of his stand up. I don't dislike it, it's just not the kind of comedy I seek out. But yeah, getting Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Gaffigan, etc. to put comedy on your platform is definitely a great improvement over just getting more Iliza Schlesinger hours or whatever.

Netflix should've signed Pete Holmes to a dev deal instead of letting HBO have him. His hour that came out recently on HBO was pretty good, and I think his upcoming show is going to sit in that Master of None/Maron/Louie space and be alright too.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Yeah it streaming services are a natural fit for standup

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Pete Holmes' TBS show was pretty decent, and innovative in a way that most late night shows aren't: pre-recorded a week or two in advance, less topical, more skit and stand up based with comedians and comic actors. That would have been perfect to have on Netflix compared to crap like Chelsea Handler's show.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »

What about Seinfeld do you dislike? Is it his style? Is observational humor not fun to you?

Gervais is dry humor, and at times I can go either way with him... Sandler has been terrible since Big Daddy.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Finished up Troll Hunters last night and it was sweet! Hoping the second season is as good even with a new VA for Jim.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

What about Seinfeld do you dislike? Is it his style? Is observational humor not fun to you?

Gervais is dry humor, and at times I can go either way with him... Sandler has been terrible since Big Daddy.

I find Seinfeld incredibly grating

I enjoy dry humor, but Gervais is often just cringey

Sandler is just a hack

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    So I accidentally bought amazon prime. Besides the wire, what other cool shows do you folks recommend?

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote: »
    So I accidentally bought amazon prime. Besides the wire, what other cool shows do you folks recommend?

Rome

• Options
    MadCaddyMadCaddy Registered User regular

The Expanse is good. I liked Alpha House fine enough. They have an amazingly good catalogue given the freeness feel of it and a lot of good originals. I just started Sneaky Pete, it seems alright. Some people like that Man in the High castle, I didn't care for it too much.

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    MadCaddy wrote: »

The Expanse is good. I liked Alpha House fine enough. They have an amazingly good catalogue given the freeness feel of it and a lot of good originals. I just started Sneaky Pete, it seems alright. Some people like that Man in the High castle, I didn't care for it too much.

I'll second (well, first) Man in the High Castle.

Not sure what network/cable shows you've already seen. Recommend Justified, Hannibal, The Americans, and Mr. Robot. Also Justified.

Did I mention Justified?

Watching Sneaky Pete right now. Mostly through season one. It's a poor man's Justified, with a dose of Walter White added in. Watchable. Not amazing.

Generation Kill was good. Never caught up on Orphan Black, but season one showed promise. Deadwood? Season one of American Horror Story was good too (each season is standalone).

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Amazon Prime?

Watch Justified.

Also Hannibal and The Americans, yes. Red Oaks is a decent Amazon Original, but only if you like the feel of early to mid 80s teen movies, with somewhat more modern awareness and sensibilities.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Not sure what network/cable shows you've already seen. Recommend Justified, Hannibal, The Americans, and Mr. Robot. Also Justified.

Did I mention Justified?

Watching Sneaky Pete right now. Mostly through season one. It's a poor man's Justified, with a dose of Walter White added in. Watchable. Not amazing.

Generation Kill was good. Never caught up on Orphan Black, but season one showed promise. Deadwood? Season one of American Horror Story was good too (each season is standalone).

Season one of Orphan Black is great, after that it becomes a question of how much you enjoy Tatiana Maslany doing her thing balanced against how up its own ass the plot gets.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Sneaky Pete is pretty damn enjoyable.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    Season one of Orphan Black is great, after that it becomes a question of how much you enjoy Tatiana Maslany doing her thing balanced against how up its own ass the plot gets.

Ah. Sounds about right. I'll retract that one then (never got around to getting back on when S2 started airing).

Another one that's good, and I think it's on Amazon, is Justified. I like the one where Raylan shoots that one guy.

EDIT: Like a lot of shows, the first season is kinda...meh. It bounces between having a plot and being "bad guy of the week" before finding its groove. Worth sticking with it.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Daniel Tiger, Dora the Explorer, The Notekins...

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

Did I mention Justified?

I will crawl up any amount of ass to see Tatiana Maslany do her thing. That show is fucking charming.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Justified, if you haven't seen it.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Amazon Prime:

Avatar the Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra (except the last season), Suits, Grimm

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Amazon Prime:

Avatar the Last Airbender, The Legend of Korra (except the last season), Suits, Grimm

To be clear, the last season isn't there. You should still find it if you can.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Oh, and Justified.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Doing a quick look through of Amazons offerings I'd say Workaholics, Batman the Animated Series (the good one with Mark Hamil), The Grand Tour if you like/liked Top Gear, Deadwood, The Americans, The Man in the High Castle, Veep.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Sit down with a nice jar of apple pie and watch Justified.

• Options
    This hasn't been brought up but Justified is a real good show on Amazon.

Also second Workaholics, Batman TAS is up as well, as is The Grand Tour and a bunch of other stuff made by the trio like James Mays Cars of the People, and another good comedy is Eastbound and Down

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    streaming solutions for Korra have gotten worse than they were six months ago

last time I tried to watch the full series, nick.com had seasons 1 and 2 for free (no provider sign-in, iirc); at some point they made 3 and 4 available with a sign-in ... and removed the first two seasons. Just for giggles, I tried the first episode (3x01) they offer, and it fails outright. No idea if the other episodes would work even if one has a provider.

I ended up having to purchase the final season on dvd, which was something of an irritation.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Sandler is just a hack

Seinfeld does a lot more complaining about the youths than he used to and just generally seems like a crank lately.

He can still craft a great joke, but it's kinda hard to watch long stretches of him.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Oz and Treme are both really good, as is Silicon Valley if it's available.

I'll second Eastbound and Down with the caveat that it's not for everyone.

• Options
    emp123 wrote: »
    Oz and Treme are both really good, as is Silicon Valley if it's available.

I'll second Eastbound and Down with the caveat that it's not for everyone.

Yeah I'd go so far as to say Eastbound is a love or hate thing. I love it. But I can totally see hating it.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    It's been a long time since I watched Oz. I really enjoyed it when it was first airing, but I'm kind of curious how it holds up now. I remember telling someone about the plot across a few episodes and realized it kind of sounded like a soap opera set in a violent prison. A few years ago I remember hearing a podcast I listened to where one guy was telling everyone else about the show, and someone else on there made that same observation.

Lots of good actors in that show, though. It's where I first saw J.K. Simmons, and he had quite a memorable role for the whole show.

• Options
    Silicon Valley is the best show on TV right now and maybe season 1 will be up on Amazon this year since they seem to be 3 years behind on having current series.

It's so good, Mike Judge can do no wrong

• Options
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Silicon Valley is the best show on TV right now and maybe season 1 will be up on Amazon this year since they seem to be 3 years behind on having current series.

It's so good, Mike Judge can do no wrong

That said season 1 is probably the worst season, even if it has the best season finale of any show I've ever seen. Definitely worth the watch, and I'm really glad I kept watching even when I thought the show was kinda meh.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Well, why didnt you guys mention Justified?

It certainly hooks you in really well

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

Deadwood if it's still on there

• Options
    Guys. Guys.

Justified_-_Justin_Timberlake.png

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited January 2017

Sandler is just a hack

Seinfeld does a lot more complaining about the youths than he used to and just generally seems like a crank lately.

He can still craft a great joke, but it's kinda hard to watch long stretches of him.

The last incident with him in the news I remember was him complaining about college campuses being too PC. Yeah.

edit: Seinfeld, your comedy doesn't cut it for not being PC. You're not Joe Rogen, doge.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Wait Seinfeld pretty famously does pretty unoffensive humor doesn't he?

Like to the point where he won't even swear on stage?

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    Because no one else have mentioned it - watch the Tim Gutterson show

https://youtu.be/PnenpUCbbBw

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    I mean, what is the deal with college campuses?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Wait Seinfeld pretty famously does pretty unoffensive humor doesn't he?

Like to the point where he won't even swear on stage?

Back in 2015 Seinfeld was quoted as saying that while he doesn't play college campuses anyway, he's hearing a lot of younger standups say that they're no longer going to perform at campuses (colleges used to be a big part of the circuit for developing comics) because the campuses are becoming too PC. He himself said that he thinks college kids throw around a lot of words like sexist but that they don't know what the hell they're talking about.

He's right, anyway. Not about every one, but by and large 18-22 year olds don't know what they're talking about.

Joshmvii on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I don't know if you folks have heard about this show. But it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cco-pCb0klU

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
This discussion has been closed.