As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[IC] Vampire: The Masquerade - The Restless City

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max starts running, and once he caught a glance of the thing, started running like a bat out of hell. Hopefully. Max really hopes it doesn't chase them far from the museum.

• Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    It was a few seconds after Lizzy took off that Alex's mind clicked that something was happening. He had been scoping out the hallway as the others conversed, his fingers tensing around the trigger of the rifle as the pound sounds of massive feet came towards them. Still, his hesitancy was a mix of fear and a thought at maybe taking a potshot at whatever was coming as it rounded the corner. Seeing the thing now, those thoughts immediately left his mind, and instead, he turned to run, even as Bulldog was attempting to throw something at the beast.

Is being able to react based on Initiative? Or, just anyone who decided to run prior to initiative? Also, do I need to roll something for escaping?

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    Deke's super-humanly quick reactions allow him a few extra seconds of gaping before he, too, has to beat feet towards better concealment. He's pretty sure that no matter how great his SMG is at shooting things -- and it seemed pretty great -- it wasn't going to be much of a deterrent to whatever this was. He needed some sort of cover between that thing and himself before he considered firing on it.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    @Maclay
    I am laboring under the assumption that Danny is fleeing for the exit as well based on his pre-initiative post. Feel free to correct me if he takes another action.

Whatever the antique statue had been worth before, the impact it makes against the flattered bridge of the creature's nose reduces it to shattered ceramic ruin. The beast had been seemed more intent on heading in the direction of the tunnels through with the Nosferatu had made their escape, but now the glowing red eyes are fixed squarely on its assailant. It hesitates only briefly, as if in disbelief that such a lowly creature would dare take action against it. Then it leans forward and roars, baring a massive array of disjointed fangs. With its head lowering to keep clear of the ceiling, it begins sprinting forward through the hall and towards Bobby, intent on either consuming him whole, or at least skewering him in advance.

@Boozer
    The creature is clearly wounded, though how severely depends on whether or not you want to roll for it. I'm a bit fuzzy on the rules of automatic successes as they relate to attacking something, but I believe at worst you'll inflict two bashing due to Potence. However many successes you incur will be subtracted by a defense of 3.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Just wasn't sure if the beast had a move to make first.

When Danny realized their attempt at a stealthy escape had failed he stepped aside to make room for everyone to get out quickly. Bulldog's attempted distraction wasn't surprising, but Danny had to wonder at the decision anyway... still, not the time for that. Danny made for the exit.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Max looks over his shoulder at the sound of impact, and sees the creature standing among the ruined shards of the statue.

"Well, you got its attention! Hopefully this ends eith a gift of gratitude, and not being ripped to shreds!"

Max does not stop running.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Everyone with the exception of Bobby can make it out of the building within turn 2, unless they stay behind. It will take Bobby until the end of turn 2 otherwise.

Contrary to the chaos inside the building, the exterior seems as quiet as ever. The vagrant is still nursing the flaming barrel not far down the road, though he certainly seems fixed on the museum that has been the source of several unpleasant sounds.

The van is still there. The Seneschal, however, is nowhere to be found.

As the creature draws ever closer, one detail seems to offer a small amount of reassurance; it seems impossible for it to fit through the doorway. That is, unless, it were to break through the wall completely. There is time enough to escape before it catches up, though any delay seems a surefire way to become the object of the beast's wrath.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Deke settles in right at the door, waiting for Bulldog, the safety on his SMG now off. While the creature might not be able to exit easily, there was no guarantee Bulldog's exit would be any easier.

"Someone check and make sure the Seneschal is really gone!" he says over his shoulder.

• Options
    BoozerBoozer Registered User regular
    Bulldog snatches his axe and stuffs it back into his bag as he speeds toward the exit, mustering all the strength and speed he can out of his supernatural blood.

"Run!" He yells, this time directly at Deke.

So spending another bp to power celerity again and using both actions to run. 2nd action happens at the end of the round for celerity.

If I catch up to Deke before he moves I'm just grabbing him and carrying out of there over my shoulder. Toreador fireman carries are becoming a hobby.

Bobby 'Bulldog' Lenko - [PBP] [Vampire] The Restless City
    PSN: Boozer_777
  • Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Elizabeth Hailion

Lizzy didn't bother to stop to see who did what or if they stopped the monster. She barely knew these guys, what, a day or two? She had sacrificed people in the Seattle Rebellion that she knew and liked more. At this point, it was about getting out and getting away. Lizzy slammed through the doors they had arrived in and seeing that Miser was still out there, she ran towards him.

"Run fast and run away.
    Something wicked comes this way!"

• Options
    Figuring that leaving the Seneschal behind would reflect poorly on them, Danny followed Deke's advice and tried to confirm that the man was indeed truly gone.
    Geth roll 7d10o10h8 for Perception Alert Auspex

Perception Alert Auspex:
    7d10o10h8 3 [7d10o10h8=3, 8, 9, 3, 7, [10, 1], 7]

• Options
    @Maclay
    There is no trace of the Seneschal. As far as you can tell, he is long gone.

The vagrant stays calmly by the fire, content to watch the group run for the van in a panic. "Oh, don't mind me. I believe your pursuer has more interesting prey to hunt than a harmless old man, ehhehehe." Miser makes no move to leave, instead seeming intent on staying put and observing the events as they happen. "I hope that thing's faster than it looks."

The shattering of glass can be heard from the street, followed by an unpleasant roar. The creature has not yet made it through in its pursuit, but it is making a valiant effort. The ruined glass is only enough to let a massive limb through, which begins to claw and flail at anything unfortunate enough to be near by.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    "Vanvanvanvanvanvanvanvanvanvanvan"

Max pushes toward the vehicle, not even glancing at the (how has he met [or something adjacent to it]3 primogens so far? In a weekend?) Figure huddled by the fire. He yanks the door open so everyone can pile inside.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Danny looks at the van. He looks at the creature trying to extricate itself from the museum. He looks back at the van.
    "Better than nothing, I guess." He gets in the back of the vehicle.

• Options
    Deke steps away from the door as Bulldog approaches, skittering toward the open van door slightly ahead of the larger vampire.

• Options
    The van is not likely to remain a safe haven for long. Though the creature appears unfamiliar with how to open a door, it is making comfortable progress with tearing apart everything in its way, and is well into using its weight to crack the wall that holds the very frame of the doorway. It also seems focused on the popular vehicle, a clear object to make its first target upon exit.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    "WILL YOU HURRY UP! IN CASE YOU HAVEN'T NOTICED, WE HAVE TO GO!"

Max is really not looking forward to sticking around. Hopefully, once they get out, the thing will lose interest, or go after Celebros, or something.

• Options
    Alex rushes to the van and jumps into the driver seat, flips the ignition and prepares to tear off. He looks back towards the doorway, hoping to spot any stragglers before trying to plow this hunk of medal down the highway in an escape.
    sorry, didn't see that Bulldog went, was waiting for him.

Do I need to make a drive roll to get away? Also are we all in now?

• Options
    @AustinP0027
    Once everyone posts, yes. And it depends on whether you drive off frantically or not. If yes, then make a Drive + Dexterity roll.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Elizabeth Hailion

Her clan was crazy, Lizzy knew that from the first night, but not suicidal. And if Miser wasn't running... something was up. She stood next to him, looking at the beast trying to break through the door.

"You know something the reason you aren't trying to flee.
    Would you mind sharing what you know with me?"

• Options
    "For one, I am not the one who made the ancient slayer of the sewer rats royally pissed off. For another, the Nictuku tend to concern themselves only with those of their own kind... typically. Woe unto those who would be in the path of its rage, however. Such as you and yours. Perhaps it best you keep close. Strength in numbers, my sweet. Or perhaps the richer the feast as the result, either or. Hehehe." In mid-sentence, he turns to watch as the beast claws and tears at the doorway. "Oh, the Warlocks will have a field day covering that shit up."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Alex couldn't wait any longer. Lizzy was yet to get back to the van, but that monstrous thing was going to get free any moment. His only hope was that their escape would be enough to distract the beast from going after Lizzy, wherever she was nearby. "Time to go. Hold on everyone!". He flipped the van into drive and slammed his foot on the gas.
    Geth roll 6d10o10h8 for DriveDriveDrive

I think that's right. 3 Dex, 2 Drive, +1 for Celerity

Sorry for the delay. Hurt my back this weekend and was laid up until today.

DriveDriveDrive:
    6d10o10h8 2 [6d10o10h8=2, 8, 5, 9, 6, 5]

• Options
    The vehicle and (most of) the coterie have little difficulty in escaping the scene, though the fading sound of an angered roar is a distant reminder of the unresolved problem. A glance to the clock also suggests that dawn is less than an hour away.

The radio is already abuzz with news about the city's most recent 'incident'. "Authorities are asking that residents stay inside and away from the streets, as a local zoo has reported the escape of several wild animals. These animals are to be considered extremely dangerous and police have insisted that under no circumstances should any civilians attempt to confront or subdue one. Stay inside and notify the authorities immediately." The 'Warlocks' work quick, it seems.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The immediate threat seemingly passed, Danny finds himself sitting in the back of the van staring intensely at his phone. He may not have even noticed that anyone was missing at this point. Another minute passes.
    Danny is quite concerned about how long he is going to have to get home. If I have the geography right, Google seems to think a more or less direct route would take about a half hour. Danny isn't big on direct routes. Let me know if you need me to roll anything @cj iwakura

• Options
    Elizabeth Hailion

Lizzy watched the van drive off. At least they were safe. But Miser was still there. Lizzy kept an eye on him and the beast, ready to follow his lead. He knew something. He had to know something and she was ready to find out.

• Options
    Quite unusually, once the van is gone, the beast seems to lose interest in pursuit. It gives a low growl, then with a spray of shattered glass, it disappears back into the museum, likely in search of its desired prey. The vagrant offers a bow of his head to the ruined doorway, as if in parting. "And there you have it. Though a thread left unresolved, for sure." His interest in the spectacle again waning, the Primogen returns his attention to the space before him. "Unless you favor sleeping on the street, I would consider hailing a cab at some point."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    "What the fuck was that? Fuckin Liz, I hope she knows what she's doing. Nice driving Alex."

"Mind if we crash at your place Deke? Oh and maybe you or Max give Julia a call and let her know to expect a Nosferatu visitor, and that we guaranteed Calebros their saftey with our lives." The biker said.

"Well, my life really. But I'm not sure Calebros payed attention to that detail, or of Julia gives a shit if it's just me" Bulldog said. He left out the thought that she might not care regardless.

After accidentally kicking the duffel bag in the back seat, Bulldog remebers. "Hah, in all the bullshit we forgot to give Julia back her money."

Boozer on
  • Options
    Elizabeth Hailion

Laughing like a madwoman is expected from Malkavian, but it wasn't something Lizzy did often. But here she was, crackling like a witch from some old movie.

"I... I can't believe that it quit the chase.
    But why did it stop it's haste?
    It is really only here for the Nosferatu?
    Or will it turn it attention to us too?

So many questions, so little time to ask them!
    But I guess it's true that the night time trims.
    This has been an experience, one that has me intrigued.
    But that was something that had to be seen to be believed.
    I guess I'll see you another night soon,
    Maybe on some less dangerous moon?"

Lizzy nods her head in respect for the crazy bum and heads towards a busier street to find a cap. On the ride home, she is left with so many questions, and so few answers. Hopefully she can get the next night to herself without the Prince asking for her presence. She hadn't eaten in a few nights and she had to get some actual work done. No doubt the fact she hasn't had her phone tonight with what's going on has her boss worried like crazy. Lizzy didn't care, as she crashed in her bed. That was a problem for another night and this one was over.

• Options
    Danny only half hears what Bulldog is saying. He swallows hard, but doesn't say anything. The idea of sleeping anywhere other than home makes him slightly nauseous, but he doesn't want to reveal any more than necessary about his issues so he grits his teeth and tries to just go with it.

• Options
    Alex's hands were gripped tightly around the steering wheel as he sped away from the museum. His eyes flipped between the road and the rear view mirror constantly, and a gnawing fear in his belly was telling him that he was going to look back at some point and see the monstrous form appear behind them. It was only once Bulldog spoke that he snapped into reality and looked down at the speedometer. Shit. His foot came off the gas, and lightly started tapping the break to slow down. The last thing they needed was to get pulled over and risk either that thing catching up, or getting stuck at dawn hit.

"You can all crash at my apartment as well if you need to. It will be a little snug, but it's only about 15mins away from here." Alex spoke up. "Deke, not sure how far away you are, but right now, probably whatever is closer is where we should be heading."

• Options
    "As long as it's secure, I don't care where we go" Max is checking out of windows himself, wondering if any lurking shadows are going to materialize something unpleasant. He notes the lightening sky, and muses on their enforced time limit Man, I really hope we don't have to sleep in the sewer

• Options
    "Crashing at the Opticon should be fine. The apartment is completely blacked out during the day, so sleeping on the couches is doable," Deke affirms. "I'm afraid there's nothing good available through room service. Yet, anyway."

• Options
    Elizabeth Hailion

The Next Night

After two nights of vampire business, Elizabeth needed a night of normal, human shit. As she made her way towards her office, she noticed her boss, Richard, sitting in her office.

"Hey, what are you doing here?
    I promise I'm not as late as it appears!"

• Options
    @Fencingsax
    It doesn't take long in the early evening to find a homeless person lurking a nearby alley, though it does require venturing away into the slightly scummier part of town. You leave the vagrant in a daze before returning to the hotel, unless you opt to return back to your own haven.

@Grunt's Ghosts
    The manager appears none too pleased with your minimal contact and absenteeism over the past nights. "Mind asking me what the fuck you were doing lurking the streets at all hours of the night? Apart from shooting the shit with bums?" It seems he has eyes of his own, or some solid connections.

The evening news seems much calmer than the prior night. Police have 'contained' much of the rioting from the previous night, and the gang leaders responsible are supposedly in custody. They even find time to get back to more upbeat local news, such as upcoming festivals and concerts. There is one story that stands out, however.

"In other news, members from Brooklyn's Patrons of the Arts and Sciences Foundation are still seeking any leads to the whereabouts of a beloved community philanthropist. Kenneth Mauricio, founder and organizer of many local charities, has been missing since last night. Anyone with news that could lead to his safe return is asked to contact the local police immediately. A reward is being offered."

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    "Well, fuck," Deke says. "Guess that settles what we're up to."

• Options
    Max heads to the Brokerage. They need an update on what was going on last night, although I think eliding the fact that 3 primogens and the Prince are involved is a good idea. They will know important people are in play, maybe even who, but not from Max.

• Options
    edited February 2017
    My plan was for one of us to contact Julia before the end of the night. But since we took a while I’ll assume it’s the next night, after seeing the news.

Geth roll 5d10o10h8 for Breaking the News
    (cha 3 + etiquette 1 + presence 1)

Since none of the smoother talkers were volunteering their services, Bulldog bit the bullet and contacted Prince.

"Prince Julia, we ran into Calebros at the museum, as well as one of the ancient creatures hunting his clan. Before we all escaped it, Calebros agreed to send a representative to speak to you, in return for guaranteeing their safety with our lives. I agreed.”

“We recovered a big duffel bag of money from the nightclub, but in the confusion forgot to return it. We’ll get it to you right away.”

“We saw the reports that the Seneschal is missing. He was with us when we went to the museum, but left when he recognized the danger. We thought he had made it out safely. I don’t know what happened to him, but we will do what we can to help return him to safety.”

Breaking the News:
    5d10o10h8 2 [5d10o10h8=6, [10, 3], 1, 1, 8]

Boozer on
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    @Fencingsax
    You find Sarasvat restlessly pacing the office, and then fixing with you with an irritated look upon your arrival. "Tell me you have a lead on the Seneschal. Do you realize what happens if he doesn't come back!? I do, and it's NOT GOING TO BE PRETTY. Let's just say Julia isn't one to waste time with filling vacancies in her court."

@Boozer
    You hear the unpleasant sound of expectant silence as you talk. Only the tapping of nails against a wooden surface. You have her rapt attention, that much is clear.

"Yes, I surmised that your coterie had... quite the evening. No casualties, I gather. There have been no further sightings of this creature you speak of. Its appearance has also been corroborated by others in the city, but very few civilians saw it... only the ruins it left in its wake. Your tact in that regard, at least, was appreciated."

There is a pause.

"As for the Nosferatu, we have received word to expect their attendance this evening at Elysium. I expect you and yours to attend as well. Within the hour, and bring your parcel as well. The soothsayers are to be treated as honored guests, but should they step out of line, they will find my courtesy only extends so far."

Then another pause.

"I should not need to mention that the timing of Kenneth's disappearance is rather telling. If the Nosferatu had a hand in this, I will see it removed. Steps are being taken to keep the city operating until his return. Your assistance in this regard is appreciated.

The Radio Hall, Robert. One hour." The line goes dead.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The biker lets out an unneccesary breath of relief.

Bulldog fills in the rest of the Crew. Those not still at the Opticion are told by phone.

• Options
    Elizabeth Hailion

"First of all, it was my nights off, so who cares what I do on my free time?
    Second, when is talking to old friends from Seattle a crime?
    Third, what the hell are you doing tracking me?
    Fourth, I need a new cellphone since I dropped the other one, please."
    And... we are lying and scaring. So two rolls here?
    Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off (Manipulation 3+Subterfuge 1)
    Geth roll 4d10o10h8

Tell Me Who's Watching (Manipulation 3+ Intimidation 2)
    Geth roll 5d10o10h8

4d10o10h8 2 [4d10o10h8=2, 6, 8, 8]
    5d10o10h8 2 [5d10o10h8=3, 1, 4, 4, [10, 8]]