As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Save the bees!

PeenPeen Registered User regular
Maybe! The mosquitoes in my area have been unbearable this year so we've had a company come out every three weeks to do a barrier spray. My wife has recently become concerned that the spray is affecting the bees in our yard, which she wants around to pollinate our three smallish gardens (on top of just wanting to be nice to bees in general). What they're spraying is listed below and we've already googled to get the basics but we figured we'd ask, do any of you know enough about bees to say whether what we've had sprayed is going to be a problem?

cykick cs (1.5 oz./gallon)
bifen it (1/3 oz./gallon)
New balance (8 oz./gallon)

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    @Arch

The bug signal has been lit!

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Okay so Cyckick cs is Cyfluthrin and Bifen IT is Bifenthrin.

They are both pyrethroid insecticides and generally safe for humans. New Balance is basically a protective mixture added to the pesticides to prevent them from breaking down in the environment.

In terms of honeybee health, though, the data is a bit harder to suss out. Bifenthrin has been shown to have a pretty high LD50 (17mg/bee) so it's pretty safe for bees....although there have been studies that demonstrate long-term chronic effects of exposure on things like learning, bee development, and a few other things. Although, if I remember correctly, some of this research is contentious.

However, Cyfluthrin is probably pretty bad, overall. The only real reference I can find describes an LD50 of like 0.037mg/bee. That's....pretty low, thus pretty toxic. There's also some evidence that Cyfluthrin also impairs learning and development, but it's less well studied than Bifenthrin.

Here's the thing though, a lot of this stuff is not very persistent in the environment (hence why they mix it with New Balance). Unless it's being sprayed directly onto a bee, they probably won't die.

That being said, let me just put it this way

If someone is spraying pesticides into your yard, you are going to kill bees. That's just how it goes.

Overall, though, unless you have massive properties and are spraying when bees are actively flying around, you probably wont contribute too much to overall bee death. You can maybe politely ask the company to avoid spraying on your gardens, to avoid bees picking up residue during pollination (and to preserve other beneficial insects in the garden!)

Remember that unless you have active hives in your yard also, the bees aren't living there.....on the other hand, you're probably killing a ton of native bees, many of whom are actually better pollinators than honeybees.

Out of curiosity, where do you live?

Overspraying for mosquitoes is definitely a problem for bee health, although in this case I'd take the tons of dead commercial honeybees over having Zika spread to my home state.

Arch on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    There was another article last week about that massive honeybee kill from West Nile / Zika spraying: CNN

This seemed relevant:
    " 'Do it at night when bees are done foraging,' I would have told them," she added, breaking into tears. "But they sprayed at 8 a.m. Sunday, and all of my bees were out, doing their work by then."

• Options
    Man, that's all kinda what we were afraid of. We live in Southeast Maryland, Montgomery County specifically. I'll run all of that past my wife and we might end up going with a natural alternative spray to see how that goes. Ultimately, kinda like you said, if it's either kill some bees or not be able to use my backyard all summer, I'll probably end up killing some bees.

• Options
    Peen wrote: »
    Man, that's all kinda what we were afraid of. We live in Southeast Maryland, Montgomery County specifically. I'll run all of that past my wife and we might end up going with a natural alternative spray to see how that goes. Ultimately, kinda like you said, if it's either kill some bees or not be able to use my backyard all summer, I'll probably end up killing some bees.

I wouldn't bother with alternative sprays, honestly. They suck, and don't usually work, and ironically a lot of the other pesticides (pyrethroids....) are derived from the active compounds in the natural sprays....

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    Bugs are bugs. More or less. There's no reason to expect a "natural" treatment to be any more selective.

Though now I'm wondering what the basis of selectivity for pyrethroids in general is...

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    My question is, what are you spraying for? Ants or something?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    VishNub wrote: »
    Bugs are bugs. More or less. There's no reason to expect a "natural" treatment to be any more selective.

Though now I'm wondering what the basis of selectivity for pyrethroids in general is...

It's complicated and not well understood. Different isomers of the molecules have vastly different selectivity against both insects and vertebrates. For instance, Casida et al, 1983 note that
    "It is very likely that there are marked species and strain differences in the configuration or sensitivity of the relevant target sites that interact with pyrethroids. The mammalian nervous system, in contrast to insect nerves, appears to be insensitive to the lR,trans isomers of resmethrin, phenothrin, and perhaps permethrin. Surprisingly, mammals as well as insects are very sensitive to the closely related [ lR,trans]-ethanomethrin, "

They also go on to note the following
    "The importance of metabolism in the selective toxicity of pyrethroids is suggested by species differences in the rates of detoxification in vivo, the activities of detoxifying enzymes in vitro, and the response to detoxification
    inhibitors as synergists. Selectivity is conferred more by differences in rates of detoxification than by species variations in the molecular sites of metabolic attack. For instance, esterases and oxidases effective in pyrethroid metabolism appear to be more active from mammalian liver than from fish liver or insect sources. "

Finally, they also note that in many cases, the low mammalian toxicity of some pyrethroids is also due to to low never sensitivity to these chemicals (pyrethroids , for context, are nerve agents....as are most pesticides)

If you're wondering about in an evolutionary context, the short answer is that pyrethroids evolved as part of plant secondary metabolic defenses against insect herbivory more than mammalian herbivory, and thus there wasn't selective pressure to evolve something that was effective as broadly in this group of plants.

Arch on
  • Options
    Yooooo actually just a few years ago Casida and Durkin published a great review on neuroactive insecticides. Don't know how I missed it.

Anyway, this is what they have to say, with more up-to-date information about pyrethroid selectivity.
    The higher potency of DDT and pyrethroids on insects than on mammals is proposed to be due to several features. First, the insect target is intrinsically more sensitive than that of mammals. Second, the target has a negative temperature coefficient; i.e., the insecticides are more effective at the ambient temperature of insects (e.g., 15◦C–20◦C) than that of people (37.5◦C). Other selectivity factors are lipophilicity for selective pickup by the insect epicutide and enzymatic detoxification. The 1R-resmethrin cis and trans isomers are almost equal in insecticidal activity but greatly different in mammalian toxicity, which may be due to both target site specificity and relative detoxification rates (24, 78, 124). Fish are extremely sensitive to most pyrethroid esters but apparently less so to the pyrethroid ethers etofenprox and silafluofen, possibly due to their low aqueous solubility (138).

So, there you go @VishNub

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    So "yes." All the same reasons/mechanisms as mammalian drugs/toxins. Thanks!

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    herbivory

If I ever need a variable to define a preference for eating vegetation, or a thematic homonym thereof: You just named it.

• Options
    Arch wrote: »
    herbivory

If I ever need a variable to define a preference for eating vegetation, or a thematic homonym thereof: You just named it.

I'll take the praise but this is a word that's been coined years ago, I hardly came up with it, I'm not that clever.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »

Could you just use mosquito repellent maybe?

• Options
    Tried it, unless I want to dip my kids in pure DEET it doesn't do enough to keep the mosquitoes off of them.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Yikes. Those are some dedicated skeeters.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    I've found the Off Lanterns work incredibly well. My girlfriend and I used one on her small back porch and we were fine as long as the candle/pad lasted.

We took three with us camping and made a little perimeter around the campfire and they kept the mosquitoes away the whole time there as well.

These things. Buy a few and set up a perimeter of where you're hanging out.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    literally smothering yourself in DEET sounds like a good solution to me though

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    I've heard nothing but positive things about the Thermacell insect repellers. They are battery powered and use cartridges you need to refill.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    Oh, yup! My friend had one of those a couple years back on a camping trip and that worked wonders as well.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Have you tried one of those things that you attach a propane tank to and it attracts the mosquitos and they suffocate? My in-laws had one that handled nearly their entire backyard, it worked great.