As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    i like the expansion, but its not totally essential. the objectives are fun because they can change up your tried and true playstyle (naturally this is only interesting once youve played the game a lot), but the real star is the new dice with double symbol sides. these really help the start of the game get going quicker with less "dud" turns, and i wouldn't really want to play without them at this point. the objectives i can take or leave depending on my mood.

Then it's settled. I ordered the DLC. For my game on Friday we'll throw the new dice, factions and planets in but hold off on the quests until we have more experience. Hooray for a free die every turn!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    @Gizzy beat me in a round of Arboretum over the weekend. That is a super pretty game with a very pleasant setting, which belies how very, very mean that game is. I really enjoyed it and I usually don't go for very many card games.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Guibs wrote: »
    I like these modular expansion. You can basically take what you want and use them. Don't like the objectives? Don't use them. To me, this expansion is worth it just with the new dices and the new tiles that add up diversity to the starting game.

oh my god I hate modular expansions

just give me something to mix into the main game, not 12 different things all with their own little rules leaflets ARGGHHHHHHH HATE IT SO MUCH

That's the magic of modular expansion, when to mix everthing? Just do it!

Modular expansion doens't mean more everything has all their own rule, it's usually the opposite.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I felt pretty smug as everyone slowly realized I had blocked them all from scoring any trees.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I like these modular expansion. You can basically take what you want and use them. Don't like the objectives? Don't use them. To me, this expansion is worth it just with the new dices and the new tiles that add up diversity to the starting game.

just give me something to mix into the main game, not 12 different things all with their own little rules leaflets ARGGHHHHHHH HATE IT SO MUCH

Modular expansion doens't mean more everything has all their own rule, it's usually the opposite.

I've never seen a modular expansion set that didn't have all their own separate rules.

What REALLY chaps my ass is when they specifically tell you that you can't mix certain parts of the expansions or that you need to carefully remove other aspects of the base game based on repeated plays. That is some lazy game making.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular

I've never seen a modular expansion set that didn't have all their own separate rules.

What REALLY chaps my ass is when they specifically tell you that you can't mix certain parts of the expansions or that you need to carefully remove other aspects of the base game based on repeated plays. That is some lazy game making.

I was going to bet on assless chaps, but sure, I feel like thats a valid complaint.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I realized that I don't own Catan, even though I've played it in the past and enjoyed it. Given that there's typically only the wife and I playing, should I even bother getting it? Games that require 3+ players are great, but hardly see play right now (hurry up and grow kiddo!).

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I realized that I don't own Catan, even though I've played it in the past and enjoyed it. Given that there's typically only the wife and I playing, should I even bother getting it? Games that require 3+ players are great, but hardly see play right now (hurry up and grow kiddo!).

If you only ever have 2, it's not worth it. However, Catan is an excellent gateway game to convert a non-gamer, so if you have any candidates for that it might be worth it.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

No.

I will admit this partially comes from my dislike of the game, but I think there are better games to use as gateway games. Catan can be mean (locking other players out of resources) and swingy (die roll determines if and when you get resources). It can be fun or frustrating.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »

No.

I will admit this partially comes from my dislike of the game, but I think there are better games to use as gateway games. Catan can be mean (locking other players out of resources) and swingy (die roll determines if and when you get resources). It can be fun or frustrating.

The first time I ever played Catan with a group of friends, I was basically blocked from all strategies almost immediately, could see that I had no chance of winning, and then had to continue to sit at the table and attempt to do something productive (which I couldn't). This is not the game to introduce people to complicated games.

On top of which, once you have people comfortable with this kind of area-control-denial game, I think Blood Rage does everything Catan does except more thematically, more exciting, and just *better*. But then again, I heavily weigh theme and visual components as contributing to fun, so if you don't, you may disagree heartily.

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I love Battlestar Galactica, but I hate the way they did some of the modular expansion. Some modules are easy enough to use or not use, but other modules require certain cards to be removed from various decks, and it's not necessarily the most obvious when that's the case, e.g. some of the later expansion loyalty cards, crises and characters require the Mutiny deck to be in use. So to add or remove the Mutineer module, you have to go through 3+ sets of other things with a fine-toothed comb and make sure you took out everything that refers to it.

• Options
    Brody wrote: »

I was going to bet on assless chaps, but sure, I feel like thats a valid complaint.

all chaps are assless you goofball :rotate:

it's like saying atm machine

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    If you're considering getting/playing Catan, just go for Archipelago instead.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    catan is a great game but it's SO gateway that you'll never go back to it

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

I don't think that's lazy game making at all.

Lazy game making to me would just be to throw in all the variants and force the player to figure out what is balanced and what works via trial and error.

Saying: If you use variant X, don't use variant Y means they probably actually playtested things well.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Lazy game making to me would just be to throw in all the variants and force the player to figure out what is balanced and what works via trial and error.

That's pretty much what I mean by the second part.

• Options
    edited September 2016

I am confused then because the way I am reading your post is mutually exclusive to what you are now saying.

Edit: Okay, reading your post several times I now get what you meant. It was confusing as the or still followed a sentence that began with "they specifically tell you."

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    edited September 2016

I am confused then because the way I am reading your post is mutually exclusive to what you are now saying.

Edit: Okay, reading your post several times I now get what you meant. It was confusing as the or still followed a sentence that began with "they specifically tell you."

I mean bunch of expansions not working together and expansions thrown in and players have to figure out what works as the two things.

Like how Zombicide handles their extra stuff. "Throw it in and figure it out" is pretty much all you can do.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

I mean bunch of expansions not working together and expansions thrown in and players have to figure out what works as the two things.

Personally I am cool with the former but the latter is indeed the worst.

• Options

Personally I am cool with the former but the latter is indeed the worst.

I always feel a little cheated when you can't add all the expansions. I get that sometimes they just don't have time to make them all work and sometimes it would just be the worst kind of componentfuck but then sometimes you just get the boxes that are all "these are neat ideas we made them work at the bare minimum choose 1".

Tuscany: Viticulture springs to mind as the one that I want to add everything from and can't. I get that it would turn into sandbox hell but dangit I wanna make cheese AND deal with the mob consarnit.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Earlier this summer, I broke out Burgle Bros. and played a demo game by myself in order to figure out how to play it. My GF was a little disappointed that I hadn't asked her to join (she was watching Supernatural right next to me at the time).

Yesterday, we decided to try again and sprawled out on the floor to get things done. We opened the first two safes, but we couldn't avoid the guard on Floor 3 who had an 'orribly unlucky series of destinations that had him pacing back and forth over us twice in a single turn. As I sighed and began gathering up the pieces, she placed a hand on my arm and said, "Fuck that. Set it up again."

The second game had some ups and downs, with the 1st-floor guard making it to 6 speed alarmingly quickly. The first treasure ended up being Gold Bars, but we were both on the safe at the time, so no problem. Later on, she was on Floor 3 and I had abseiled through a Walkway down to Floor 1 to avoid Guard 2 when she drew an event and had to give me all her gear + loot, including the second Gold Bar, which now lay forlornly on Floor 1 because I can't hold both at once. However, with some clever Service Duct use, we were able to reconvene and lay siege to the safe on Floor 3, which contained a Smoke Bomb - and just in time, because the guard ended up standing right in the Safe room on that very turn chasing the alarm. I then ran for the stairs in my last move, and she Rooked me out of the building and then fled to the helipad herself on a single turn. Victory!

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Reve NoireReve Noire Registered User regular
    So my other 1/2 and I have recently (last 2 years) gotten into board games due to PAX. We know own 50 something games but being introverted and 99% of our friends having loud minions is getting hard to find people to play. We have tried joining gaming groups here in Portland and they keep ending up drinking in a bar (no issue here), then maybe playing one short game and taking off to more drinking and Karaoke (still no problem) but um real game?? Is there a place in Portland Oregon where people from here get together and play board games? I mean I love drinking and can throw that in, but um actually play a full real game?

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    So I finally got around to playing my collector's edition of Scythe, just two players. I can't help but feel that this game is baaaaaad at two players. Both games one person just controlled the entire board and since you can't have any resources without board presence, that meant the other player just couldn't do anything at all. The first game I played as Polonia and my opponent played as yellow I think, and I got crushed by his ability to steal a combat card from me prior to battle. I never could catch up in the fights after he gained a force advantage.

In the second game the tables were turned as he went Soviet and I stuck with Polonia. My combination of not losing popularity while also being able to teleport to any given lake meant I could strike at his workers without losing anything. This compounded when eventually I built a mine in his starting area, meaning I could just hop in and ravage anything at a moment's notice.

It just really seemed that there might be some rock paper scissors thing with the combat balance, since each game we both felt totally outclassed by the opponent's options, or maybe the game has a runaway leader thing with combat that needs a couple players ganging up to rebalance. Certainly it's too early to call after just two games with three factions total, but the game definitely seemed like it would be much improved with 4-5 players.

Other than that, the game was really interesting. It was deep without being complicated, really anyone could grasp it pretty quickly. You just pick an action on your player board and do it. It seemed to have a lot of interesting decisions to make overall and the presentation is top notch. I'm going to have to scrounge up some other people to play it with since I think it's just a TINY bit too aggressive for my girlfriend or my sister to play. One round in the first game he attacked me and stole a nice pile of resources and it just hurt. I was pretty salty for a couple rounds.

I also picked up a copy of Vast at my FLGS. Excited to play it, less excited to have to teach it.

ChaosHat on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Reve Noire wrote: »
    So my other 1/2 and I have recently (last 2 years) gotten into board games due to PAX. We know own 50 something games but being introverted and 99% of our friends having loud minions is getting hard to find people to play. We have tried joining gaming groups here in Portland and they keep ending up drinking in a bar (no issue here), then maybe playing one short game and taking off to more drinking and Karaoke (still no problem) but um real game?? Is there a place in Portland Oregon where people from here get together and play board games? I mean I love drinking and can throw that in, but um actually play a full real game?

Have you tried talking to people in the group about setting up more game-oriented game days? Start earlier and either play at someone's house or a game store, rather then a bar.

Maybe also check LGSs? They likely have scheduled board game meetups.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    @MNC Dover neuroshima hex, a few acres of snow, hive, dominion, and android netrunner are all great with two people. I'd stay away from Catan for two. I'm sure I've played good two player light games but none are coming to mind.

sig.gif
  • Options
    admand, yeah I have tried asking the people that hang out there out to ether our house or somewhere else for a game night, unfortunately all the people we play there have schedules from below and can't hook up with anything, the couple we really hit it off with ... well we get together for bars, dinner, Karaoke etc (wife not that into the games). So plus for meeting a killer couple we are having a blast with. 0 on finding a couple or even single people to come play.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

I'm in Portland and I'll play with you! :)

There's a boardgame meetup Wednesday nights at a bar named "My Father's Place", and another one on some other night at the Lucky Lab. Out in Hillsboro on Sunday nights there's one on Sunday evenings at "the 649 Taphouse". There's also a Gamestorm game day this Sunday: http://www.gamestorm.org/2016/09/23/game-day/

Oh yes and like admanb says, Guardian Games and Rainy Day games alternate boardgame days every other Sunday I believe.

Lykouragh on
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    I don't know how to link what someone said, but Lykouragh I'm trying to reply to you! LOL "My Father's Place" is the one we go to a lot, met the awesome couple and end up Karaoke with!!! Eric, the popular guy that buys everyone drinks? We are now bff with him and his girl. It's awesome but we never play games much, drink, talk, Karaoke. We should be there this Wednesday, I'm D (Denise) the awkward quiet one that hangs with Eric, and my other 1/2 Kevin will be with. Totally come say hi!!!! And yeah, if you come to our house to play games I will actually cook for you dinner. I'm Italian I cook well I'm told. We've been to a Gamestorm thing once, it's awesome but a we're shy, I have to go talk to people and we never hook up with people close by :bigfrown: I've not see the 649 Taphouse thing, were do I see info on that?

Reve Noire on
  • Options
    "MNC Dover" neuroshima hex, a few acres of snow, hive, dominion, and android netrunner are all great with two people. I'd stay away from Catan for two. I'm sure I've played good two player light games but none are coming to mind.

These are all very solid choices!

I approve!

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    In the second game the tables were turned as he went Soviet and I stuck with Polonia. My combination of not losing popularity while also being able to teleport to any given lake meant I could strike at his workers without losing anything.

Note that Polania's "Camaraderie" ability only applies to combat. If you attack undefended workers you still get penalized.

But yeah, so far my only 2P Scythe experience was less than great. 3+ has been consistently solid, though.
    I also picked up a copy of Vast at my FLGS. Excited to play it, less excited to have to teach it.

Yeah. It's honestly easier to just let everyone read their respective rules sheet and go over the interactions between them as they become relevant.

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I don't know how to link what someone said, but Lykouragh I'm trying to reply to you! LOL "My Father's Place" is the one we go to a lot, met the awesome couple and end up Karaoke with!!! Eric, the popular guy that buys everyone drinks? We are now bff with him and his girl. It's awesome but we never play games much, drink, talk, Karaoke. We should be there this Wednesday, I'm D (Denise) the awkward quiet one that hangs with Eric, and my other 1/2 Kevin will be with. Totally come say hi!!!! And yeah, if you come to our house to play games I will actually cook for you dinner. I'm Italian I cook well I'm told. We've been to a Gamestorm thing once, it's awesome but a we're shy, I have to go talk to people and we never hook up with people close by :bigfrown: I've not see the 649 Taphouse thing, were do I see info on that?

The 649 thing is here: https://www.meetup.com/20-and-30-somethings-in-Portland-AWESOME-Stuff/events/234407702/
    I will see if I can make it down to MFP this Wednesday and see you :).

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    @MNC Dover neuroshima hex, a few acres of snow, hive, dominion, and android netrunner are all great with two people. I'd stay away from Catan for two. I'm sure I've played good two player light games but none are coming to mind.

Just wanted to mention two excellent 2-player games that have come out fairly recently: 7 Wonders: Duel and Patchwork. A older game that is also very good is Aton. I only mention them because they are fun, not too long, not too simple or complex, and feel sufficiently "boardgamey". When my wife and I started having kids, our boardgame habits had to change a lot, and these games (along with the previously mentioned Dominion) have worked pretty well as our "bread and butter" evening gaming. We usually reserved longer games for larger groups and date nights. YMMV.

EDIT: We actually only recently started playing 7 Wonders: Duel, and it seems really good so far. Can anyone speak to its long-term fun quotient? Still good after like 15 plays?

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    You guys Junk Art is SO GOOD

edit: here you can see my wife demonstrating her extremely top tier Junk Art skillz

giphy.gif

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    You guys Junk Art is SO GOOD

edit: here you can see my wife demonstrating her extremely top tier Junk Art skillz

giphy.gif

Oh wow. is this like a re-branding of Bandu?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    It's basically a modernized version of Bandu, yea. Not that it's officially related, but if you have a huge nostalgic soft spot for Bandu like I do, and you want a new game with the same kind of gameplay, then this is the one.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    "MNC Dover" neuroshima hex, a few acres of snow, hive, dominion, and android netrunner are all great with two people. I'd stay away from Catan for two. I'm sure I've played good two player light games but none are coming to mind.

Just wanted to mention two excellent 2-player games that have come out fairly recently: 7 Wonders: Duel and Patchwork. A older game that is also very good is Aton. I only mention them because they are fun, not too long, not too simple or complex, and feel sufficiently "boardgamey". When my wife and I started having kids, our boardgame habits had to change a lot, and these games (along with the previously mentioned Dominion) have worked pretty well as our "bread and butter" evening gaming. We usually reserved longer games for larger groups and date nights. YMMV.

EDIT: We actually only recently started playing 7 Wonders: Duel, and it seems really good so far. Can anyone speak to its long-term fun quotient? Still good after like 15 plays?

OH I THOUGHT OF TWO MORE, one called Brawl and another called devastation of indives

sig.gif
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Anyone know where my Sekigahara is?!! I'm dying here!!!!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

UPS truck
      Drives past without braking
      Stops at neighbors

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Oh, they dropped it off here to keep an eye on it for you.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      Oh god that took forever.

5gGimOJ.jpg

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch