As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] POST IN THE NEW THREAD!

• Options
    UreshiiAkumaUreshiiAkuma Registered User regular
    Ended up dropping my KDM BF pledge. I think I like the idea behind the settlement building (and from all I hear the implementation is great), but try as I might, I just can't get into the aesthetic of the game. I also don't really think the style of gameplay is for me or my group. I know people that like it really like it, but the lack of visual variety (game board, number of monsters) is a turn-off. No matter how much tactical variety there is, I don't think we are interested in grinding a lion several dozen times. And while I know the pin-ups aren't gameplay components, the fact that they are in integral part of the business model make me feel a little uncomfortable about the whole thing.

• Options
    GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    Guibs wrote: »
    KD has nice miniature but the entire dark artwork and the fact there is to be no actual game in there turned me off the first and time still does this time.

Woah there cowboy. Not liking the aesthetic and setting is a fine personal opinion to have. 'No actual game in there' is hot objective bull honky.

- The tactical grid based dice combat.

- The card based monster AI system that makes monsters more predictable as you wear them down.

- The resource management and investment of the settlement and gear building.

- Optimising weapon/armour set building and bonuses.

- RPG-lite story choices with massive tables of random events.

Kingdom Death is full of game content and I'd still be keen to play it if it had cardboard tokens and a complete retheme to something much more mainstream.

I can see how what I wrote sparked your answer. I probably didn't express my feeling properly. Allow me to do so.

My opinion on the gameplay was mostly based on what I quickly read about the game and the few minutes of videos I saw. Could entirely not be the entire picture, but what I had seen didn't spark me anything great on the gameplay but I accept that I probably didn't get the interest enough to dig deeper to know more about it.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Played a hilariously fast game of Sentinels last night. Went with Haka (using The Eternal version) since I was in that mindset after seeing Moana last week. Paired up with Team Leader Tach and Darkwatch Mr. Fixer, we took on The Operative, Biomancer, and Sgt. Steel in the Dak'Thorath Capital and it was a bloodbath.
    We randomly selected Tach to go first, who was paired with Biomancer. He didn't do much, having his Adept and Fixer clones out and then drawing one of his bruisers. Tach set things up with her Goggles and Pushing the Limits, drawing us all a couple of cards in the process via Fleet of Foot and her power. Sgt. Steel did his thing next, having three Agents in play (the fire one, the one that makes his team immune to non-Hero damage, and the one that makes his damage irreducible). On my turn I broke out in a Rampage, killing one Agent, both clones, and severely wounding everything else. Then I drew a bunch of cards because that's what Eternal Haka does. Operative threw some darts or whatever. Fixer broke out the Dual Crowbars and ate Tach's Pushing the Limits to bust some heads. Some Freedom Fighters emerged from the environment, shooting at everyone.

Biomancer flipped the card that brings all of his jerks back from the trash at the end of the Environment turn, but since he hadn't drawn that many it was more of a nuisance than anything else. Tach does more Tach things, including a burst punch to every target she can hit. Steel finds a guy that pumps his attack by milling villain one-shots and then brains me for 6. I recover 2 and draw more cards. Operative throws out more damage that weakens the next time Tach and I deal damage, but Fixer one-ups her with a brutal Bloody Knuckles turn that leaves Steel at 1 HP, takes out Operative thanks to his nemesis bonus, and then destroys the Bloody Knuckles before it can be a drawback because that's how Dark Strike works and it's kind of dumb. More shooting from the environment, as the other side's forces show up; basically everyone gets shot for 4 but Biomancer's resurrection thing goes off in the middle so he's still mostly at full health. Sgt. Steel, however, is finished off in the crossfire. We're all in single-digits now and can't heal thanks to Operative's incapacated ability, but that really only affects me anyway.

Amusingly, the Carbon Adept's ongoing-destroying ability whiffs for the second time because we only have equipment (or in my case nothing) out. Even funnier, he plays one of his cards that makes one of us hit another, except Operative's toxins make Tach's hit to Fixer almost irrelevant. Tach plays some stuff. I play my Taiha, and announce that the game is over on my next turn since I have a giant grip of cards and a Haka of Battle. I burn my -2 damage on killing Carbon Adept again with my spear. Fixer uses Alternating Tiger Claw to punch through a bunch of Biomancer's damage reduction and breaks Tach's Synaptic Disruption in the process to put another burst in her trash. More shooting from the environment but at this point they're killing each other and it's more of a nuisance than anything else.

Biomancer heals up, Tach abides, and then I Haka of Battle for I think +15 damage, obliterating Biomancer even with his -2 to all damage taken. 4 turns and we're done.

For fun I then cue up "You're Welcome" because I bet Haka would totally sing that.
    BRB. Making a custom Haka deck with Maui reskin. :)

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Is New Angeles just out in limited quantities? Not seeing it on Amazon yet but it's on FFG's store.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Is New Angeles just out in limited quantities? Not seeing it on Amazon yet but it's on FFG's store.

I know my pre-order from CSI shipped yesterday evening, alongside my SW:Destiny box.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    if anyone wants to grab a copy of Forbidden Stars before it goes permanently OOP amazon has it for $67.80 right now. real nice price. im sorely tempted, even though i 100% know it would never get played with my wife and our couple board game friends.

https://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Flight-Games-FS01-Forbidden/dp/1616617772

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Took King of Tokyo to Thanksgiving and it absolutely killed with the nieces and nephews (ages 7-12). Was impressed with how quickly even the younger kids picked up some nuances in the gameplay. Just one of those games that comes easy.

Thinking I'll buy them a copy for Christmas. Any other recommendations for those age groups?

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    my nieces and nephews in that age range also quite enjoy Love Letter, Zombie Dice, Dutch Blitz, Loopin Chewie, and Survive: Escape From Atlantis

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Aeon's End finally reached me. It seems to have gone from Kentucky to Connecticut back down 95 to me, which is an odd route to go.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    Took King of Tokyo to Thanksgiving and it absolutely killed with the nieces and nephews (ages 7-12). Was impressed with how quickly even the younger kids picked up some nuances in the gameplay. Just one of those games that comes easy.

Thinking I'll buy them a copy for Christmas. Any other recommendations for those age groups?

Actually Kingsburg has been a big hit among my friend's kids, though it seems like it shouldn't be.

Resistance is a good game for those age kids but they'll be constantly pestering adults to play it so I recommend against it as a gift.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    if anyone wants to grab a copy of Forbidden Stars before it goes permanently OOP amazon has it for $67.80 right now. real nice price. im sorely tempted, even though i 100% know it would never get played with my wife and our couple board game friends.

Ugh that would make a great gift for someone but I already had other plans. :eh:

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Aeon's End finally reached me. It seems to have gone from Kentucky to Connecticut back down 95 to me, which is an odd route to go.

The wife and I played, and lost, our first game yesterday. Fun game!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Auralynx wrote: »

The wife and I played, and lost, our first game yesterday. Fun game!

The girlfriend and I barely won on Easy, but probably with at least a couple asterisks. I'm digging it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
    Finally played Inis. It's good. I took home a sneaky win, so that helps. It seems like a great game to dive into with your "serious" gaming buddies.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Sleeved up New Angeles, understand the game enough to teach it to others.. now to get a game going. Somehow.

I did notice they left wiggle room for expansions.

Also.. I have a rules interpretation question outstanding over at the official forums that could drastically change the way the game is played. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Went to a boardgame night last night, but sadly didn't get Chaos In The Old World played. BUT! I played Ra for the first time and holy shit yall Ra is an incredible game. Simple but super tense push your luck auction game... yes plz... I gotta buy Ra asap.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Oh that reminds me. Apparently my local store is discounting Hit Z Road because it isn't selling well... which is a shame. We didn't finish a game, but the theming is AMAZING.

I love the fact that the bits and pieces are from other games, like Splendor and Dixit.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Not Alone is yet another small card game that could've come in a much smaller box.

I mean the board is the height of it but the board could've being designed differently too.

I kinda hate boxes that are too big for the game in them.

• Options
    Okay well I bought Ra as a late breaking Christmas present for my wife and I :)

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular

WHY DON'T YOU JUST @ ME AND SAVE ME THE TROUBLE OF CLICKING AND READING ALL THE POSTS!
    I joke. I bought this out of fear of missing it, but I know it'll sit unopened for a bit

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
      Another commented Codex game posted to YouTube. This time playing White vs Blue, so I have a better idea of what I'm doing, and I think it made for a much more focused cast overall.

narwhal wrote:
      Why am I Terran?
      My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    • Options
      RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Actually Kingsburg has been a big hit among my friend's kids, though it seems like it shouldn't be.

Resistance is a good game for those age kids but they'll be constantly pestering adults to play it so I recommend against it as a gift.

yeah Kingsburg is something we play every holiday with my stepbrothers and their kids

Though I think the game absolutely needs one of the options from the expansion in order to be playable for people who like boardgames. Luckily you can make them yourself if you don't want the other stuff in the expansion. It's those little discs that replace the dice roll for the Kings Reinforcements. The die mechanic is so thoroughly bad. The die roll either ends up being high enough to make the battle trivial, rendering all your planning and decisions pointless, or low enough to screw over anyone who didn't play super defensively (thus rendering most possible strategies obsolete).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
    • Options
      ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
      Impulsively bought the 2 starter boxes for Star Wars: Destiny, along with a half dozen booster packs. Cost about 2/3 of what I expected it to (not sure what's going on with the store, but the dude rang it all up in front of me and it came to $40 Canadian rather than the $50-60'ish I figured it would be), cracked them open, and I'm intrigued. Seems very straightforward, and the small deck sizes along with the 2 of the same card limit makes it seem like one of the less egregious 'ccg' style games I've seen in a while. The dice are hefty, not sure about what I'll do for transporting decks and dice and tokens all over, but first I need to try out a few dry runs, and then wrangle a friend into playing.

As an old time Magic player, I fully recognize that intentionally picking up (even as a test) a new form of cardboard crack may not be in my best interest.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
    • Options
      PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
      Forar wrote: »
      Impulsively bought the 2 starter boxes for Star Wars: Destiny, along with a half dozen booster packs. Cost about 2/3 of what I expected it to (not sure what's going on with the store, but the dude rang it all up in front of me and it came to $40 Canadian rather than the $50-60'ish I figured it would be), cracked them open, and I'm intrigued. Seems very straightforward, and the small deck sizes along with the 2 of the same card limit makes it seem like one of the less egregious 'ccg' style games I've seen in a while. The dice are hefty, not sure about what I'll do for transporting decks and dice and tokens all over, but first I need to try out a few dry runs, and then wrangle a friend into playing.

As an old time Magic player, I fully recognize that intentionally picking up (even as a test) a new form of cardboard crack may not be in my best interest.

I er... may have pick this all up last night myself. With the same "I should know better".

Only got one booster though. So I may (am) going to have to make another run so I can bring the starter decks up to baseline (because while I can merge them to make them legal, the dark side deck has 10 empty points for characters and that's just dumb).

Steam: Polaritie
      3DS: 0473-8507-2652
      Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
      PSN: AbEntropy
    • Options
      KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
      We played the Plague Inc board game for the first time tonight. Doesn't look like it has hit stores yet but the copy I kickstarted arrived about a week ago. It will be instantly recognizable to anyone who has played the mobile/pc/console game, especially in the traits you evolve for your bacteria or virus as you attempt to kill the world.

A few mistakes were made along the way, mostly because we let the most scatterbrained player read the rules and explain it to everyone and some details were missed initially. Everyone had a good time though and we'll get it out again soon. It plays out like a more complex version of Pandemic: Contagion, in a good way.

The players who finished first and second followed almost completely different strategies - something akin to going wide vs going tall in a pc Civ game - and we really appreciated that both worked so well.

2016 was a great year for delivered Kickstarter projects for me. Scythe and Council of Blackthorn were 2 big hits with my group that I couldn't be happier to have backed. Plague Inc is not at their level, but is well above the norm. And the norm has been enjoyable games that I have no regrets over.

• Options
      Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
      Okay well I bought Ra as a late breaking Christmas present for my wife and I :)

Raaaaaa!

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
    • Options
      HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
      Hedgethorn wrote: »
      A friend of mine just received his kickstarted copy of Manhattan Project: Energy Empire, and so we played that at our weekly game night.

What a great, quick worker placement game. It's a little engine building game where you use your two kinds of workers (people & energy) to gather five kinds of resources (iron, plastic, science, oil, and money) and use those resources to build power plants and structures, both of which can then generate more resources and more energy. One of the unique features of the game is that many actions generate pollution, which both serves as the game timer (once X amount of pollution has been generated, the game ends) and also takes away potential victory points, as a heavily polluted landscape is worth fewer points than a pristine landscape. Thus players are constantly forced to consider the opportunity costs of their actions, and the last couple of rounds are extremely tense as everyone crosses their fingers, hoping the other players don't take those last few pollution tokens... If she doesn't take any pollution, then I'll be able to take two more actions before game end, which will let me gather the science I need in order to clean up this nuclear waste in my lake...Wait! What is she doing?! Don't build a highway! Don't you know that's going to generate pollution! Now what I am suppose to do? I could have won the game!

The best part of all? Our four-player game took less than 90 minutes, and that's with two players who are usually very prone to analysis paralysis. With three of us new to the game, and the owner having only played it once before, the final scores were all between 75 and 90, with only five points separating first and third place.

It's not as tight as Agricola, as brain-burning as Dungeon Petz, or as expansive as Caverna, but I think it very nicely fills the "gateway to worker placement" role with a theme that's far more approachable than, say, Lords of Waterdeep. It's also not as punishing as most worker placement games, since action spots are never entirely blocked; placing a worker in an action space just makes that space more expensive in the future, so you can always take any action so long as you have sufficient energy to spend.

I also got my copy recently and have gotten two games in. A lot of the systems seem super interesting. Do you focus on one type of building? Rush power plants or run yourself off oil? Do you shoot for alternating working and generating turns or do you do a couple of working turns per generate? One of those will shorten the game a lot more than the other...

I think this is a game where it gets more interesting once everyone knows it and has strategies in mind.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    • Options
      Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      Kingdom Death day went off well. We didn't fight the Phoenix I'd spent ages making the night before (so many individual tiny human hands to glue to his wings!) but we wiped the floor with a Lion in order to finish off the Lion Armour Set, handily took on an Antelope only to have our red saviour murdered on return to the village, and then pulled off an epic nail biter against a Kingsman. One death in the fight, and then another silly event related death on return to the settlement... Bugger all for rewards, but our second red saviour on her debut outing took on the Kings Curse and will have faded from existence before it can kill her so hah take that!

The Lion Armour set plus twinned Katars is a tad mad if you can avoid hitting the trap card. We threw in a strength charm as well so six attack rolls with a really good chance to wound when pouncing.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      Kingdom Death day went off well. We didn't fight the Phoenix I'd spent ages making the night before (so many individual tiny human hands to glue to his wings!) but we wiped the floor with a Lion in order to finish off the Lion Armour Set, handily took on an Antelope only to have our red saviour murdered on return to the village, and then pulled off an epic nail biter against a Kingsman. One death in the fight, and then another silly event related death on return to the settlement... Bugger all for rewards, but our second red saviour on her debut outing took on the Kings Curse and will have faded from existence before it can kill her so hah take that!

The Lion Armour set plus twinned Katars is a tad mad if you can avoid hitting the trap card. We threw in a strength charm as well so six attack rolls with a really good chance to wound when pouncing.

I'm fairly certain I got high from my marathon figure-making session.

• Options
        Goddamn I want to play New Angeles so badly! :( Hopefully in the next week I can get a board game night going.

Also I'm so happy the Gorgon won as the wench for Red Dragon Inn 6.

• Options
        So I impulse bought Forbidden Stars. What kind of game is it exactly?

• Options
          GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
          I was shopping for a Christmas present for my sister and was gonna buy Love Letter but bought Adventure Time. Then I saw that Love Letter AT has slightly different rules. Do the rule additions make the game better, worse, neither?

• Options
          CantidoCantido Registered User regular
          Gvzbgul wrote: »
          I was shopping for a Christmas present for my sister and was gonna buy Love Letter but bought Adventure Time. Then I saw that Love Letter AT has slightly different rules. Do the rule additions make the game better, worse, neither?

I havent played Love Letter but I was introduced to Lost Legacy today. It was hilarious.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
        • Options
          edited December 2016
          Forar wrote: »

Ultra pro makes deck boxes with space for dice. So you can start looking there if you want.

84023.jpg

Edit: I'm not touching that game with a 10' pole.

ArcSyn on
          4dm3dwuxq302.png
        • Options
          ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
          ArcSyn wrote: »
          Edit: I'm not touching that game with a 10' pole.

This is a wise choice.

Good to know there might be an option there if I get a bit more serious into it, but I can't see myself needing a more advanced solution anytime soon. Probably play here at home a few times, maybe pop the boxes I've got into a bag and show it off at the usual group's place, but I'm not sure I'll be running off to tournaments around town or anything.

Thanks for the heads up! The dice the game uses are pretty large (not sure their exact measurements, but they're hefty), so it'd be interesting to see how many a box like that would hold.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
        • Options
          TimFiji wrote: »
          So I impulse bought Forbidden Stars. What kind of game is it exactly?

It's a long complicated war game set in the warhammer 40k universe. People generally take 4-6 hours for their first 4p game.

• Options
          fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
          Should I kickstart Kingdom Death? It sounds cool and pretty unique.

• Options
          InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
          edited December 2016
          Should I kickstart Kingdom Death? It sounds cool and pretty unique.

Depends on how much you like building and painting model miniatures, how much you like the aesthetics of their particular miniatures (ie. how much you like t&a) and how much you and your group of friends like grinding for better loot.

If the answer to all of that is "Sounds great!" then go for it.

Inquisitor on
        • Options
          If you wanna spend so damn much money then sure why not

• Options
          InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
          If you wanna spend so damn much money then sure why not

*googles price*

$400?!

Christ on a cracker! And people say Games Workshop is bad!