Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[No Man's Sky] Mine birds, shoot asteroids, build bases??? [nsf56k]

167891012»

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Scanning easily the creatures I randomly found as I hunted down the resources I required was a small source of free money. Not a lot, but free money was free money, and every clipped credit was precious if I wanted to buy a bigger ship to harvest more resources. But now I have a Pearl and NipNip farm, and I don't need that pocket change anymore.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, I feel I should warn you: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    DarkPrimusZilla360
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Meanwhile I spent two hours this morning mining two gold nuggets. Got me a sweet rifle with loads of slots, and a million in the bank. Then I looked at the cost of the ship next to me, and wept bitter tears

Another successful post, thanks to the power of Spacestar Ordering™!
    KalnaurZilla360Poketpixie
    Just want to share the view from the top tower of my base.

Spoiler for large:
    xwt47fljkl1s.jpg

If you look closely the in bottom left hex, you can see one of my rabid ewoks.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, I feel I should warn you: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    BetsuniZilla360
    edited March 18
    I picked up a crashed B-class ship with 25 mostly broken slots yesterday

I spent the next half hour looking at every ship that landed, trying to find the sweet spot between "more than 18 slots" and "less than one million credits in part exchange"

I think I might be here a while

Rhesus Positive on
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Permadeath Run #3: currently on a hostile world of tropical islands. Started out on a beautiful but extremely cold snow planet, with night lows down under -70C. It had no zinc. I clocked up 5 foot-travel milestones before I found enough to fix my ship - darting from cave to cave at first, eventually summiting and descending a great mountain and cutting back around it, crafting hazard shields from the copious platinum and iron. A looming planet and its two moons teased me during the long nights. It turns out all three were lifeless...

UJw4Qla.png
    MichaelLCZilla360Kalnaur
    I just got the first fetch quest from my scientist to learn a new blueprint. All I had to do was enter an abandoned building about five minutes away

Turns out that when you build your base on the coast for the bracing air and sea views, five minutes away involves a lot of swimming, including two minutes vertically with no fuel in my scuba gear

I almost drowned just to learn how to make batteries

bsjezzKalnaur
    That's why if I'm going anywhere on my planet, even just five minutes, I'm taking my space ship.

Kalnaur
    Wait, can space ships go underwater?

• KalnaurKalnaur I See No Snow . . . Olympia, WARegistered User regular
    Wait, can space ships go underwater?

Nope. It's more along the lines of taking the ship to the nearest spit of land, then swimming as little as possible.

Eventually crafting the hovercraft will probably help, I assume?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur
    Origin :: Kalnaur

steam_sig.png

The hovership does help. While it can't go underwater unless it's being forced down by a cave or something, you can drive it to right on top of the point of interest and swim down from there.

That is, unless it's a temple guarded by a giant aggressive killer whale like creature like the one on my planet I've lovingly named a 'From Beneath You It Devours.'

Zilla360DarkPrimusMahnmutKalnaur
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    oh i\ want pictures of that! In other news, fighting the urge to buy the game on PSN since \i already own the disc version. But it's on sale!

BetsuniKalnaur
    I'll see if I can find one in the wild. Luckily they are solitary and rather rare. Otherwise I'll upload a shot from my discovery menu.

Dignified Pauper
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    The hovership does help. While it can't go underwater unless it's being forced down by a cave or something, you can drive it to right on top of the point of interest and swim down from there.

That is, unless it's a temple guarded by a giant aggressive killer whale like creature like the one on my planet I've lovingly named a 'From Beneath You It Devours.'

Wait, is this a thing? A temple guarded by some divine beast of myth!?

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
    Decomposey wrote: »

Wait, is this a thing? A temple guarded by some divine beast of myth!?

No, I just have killer-whale-sharks in my oceans.

A From Beneath You It Devours in its natural habitat:
    9rc1pzl94wdl.jpg

As you can see, it's about the same size as the Nomad. Getting a closer picture would have required me to actually get in the water with it, which NO THANK YOU.

SurfpossumBetsuniBethrynSeptus
  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    I will rise above this cold quadrant yet...
    a7rHpcH.jpg
    s1o6jDl.jpg
    d1Q7Vmc.jpg
    61sqom4.jpg

UJw4Qla.png
    SurfpossumBetsuniKalnaur
167891012»