As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[No Man's Sky] this is now the old thread!

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    That's a hell of a patch.

• Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9PvjJJijY

Might as well drop the video here too.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Those patch notes just keep going, and going, and going...

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    That's a hell of a patch.

I agree, but I'm not sure it's enough for me to load it back up.

e: I guess I spoke too soon... Warframe crashed out and the NMS patch was ready to download... 2.7 gigs. Guess I'll load it up afterall.

e2: Survival mode: Confirmed hard.

e3: Picture this. I'm hiding in the shelter I started at waiting for my scanner to recharge to see if the one thamium plant has regrown so I can harvest it because it's too hot to wait outside and my life support is empty. Also, I'm punching rocks because no isotopes around other than thamium.

e4: and carbon is an isotope... punch creatures, get beams.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So like... are you able to have multiple saves now, or do you just select which mode to continue from permanently?

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Hey, scanner/POI icons don't trash my FPS anymore!
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So like... are you able to have multiple saves now, or do you just select which mode to continue from permanently?

I think it's one slot per mode -- you get the mode-select screen every time you boot the game.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Less than a minute back in and already I am taking screenshots again!

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside|2048:1152&composite-to%3D%2A%2C%2A%7C2048%3A1152&background-color=black

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So, at this rate, it'll be fun around... 1.5?

*edit* Ok, that was a bit mean spirited. Do the new systems actually add anything meaningful to the gameplay? I can't really imagine what base building really adds in a game with no multiplayer and no real threats or consequences for death. I also never felt so constrained for storage that I would need a freighter, and toward the end, I didn't have anything to spend materials on, anyway. Do these additions add meaningful interactions to the game space, or just appease vocal detractors?

Houn on
  • Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Looks like I'll have to fire this game up again. It's good to see that Hello Games is pushing to redeem themselves. Other devs have fallen apart under less intense criticism.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    By gum between the freighter and the teleporting home from a station, I think this might be a winning combo for making base building "fit" in the game.

Gonna definitely be giving this a shot, as I still had a nice and peaceful fun time the last time I fired the game up.

I suspect Houn's concerns are still going to be problems, in that the real drive to play is still just going to be exploring new planets, and the base and the freighter and whatnot will just be a way to "level up" in survival mode. So if you liked exploring planets, this is going to add some more interesting things to do in the pursuit of that.

If you didn't like exploring planets I suspect these additions will also get old pretty quickly.

But perhaps actually surviving is difficult and interesting enough now to make it more of a game?

Ooh I am v. excite.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Back on the hype train. Didn't hate my first initial hours, just kinda fell off for me. Definitely excited to play again.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    They've definitely done some things to make the base resource gathering more interesting. Your pulse engines run on iron now, so most of the asteroids are now iron instead of thamium, and plutonium seems a little harder to come by.

I don't know how to initiate the base building aspect yet.

But I definitely just dumped another hour and a half into NMS w/o actually experiencing new building content, so they're doing something right.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    This update actually sounds pretty sweet. I've always enjoyed the exploration, sooo it's time to check it out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    So, at this rate, it'll be fun around... 1.5?

*edit* Ok, that was a bit mean spirited. Do the new systems actually add anything meaningful to the gameplay? I can't really imagine what base building really adds in a game with no multiplayer and no real threats or consequences for death. I also never felt so constrained for storage that I would need a freighter, and toward the end, I didn't have anything to spend materials on, anyway. Do these additions add meaningful interactions to the game space, or just appease vocal detractors?

I'm not going to touch the "what do you do. . ." part of your question, because that's a losing battle; however this is The Foundation patch, and I don't think that naming scheme is accidental. This isn't their final patch. This is the patch on which the future of the game is going to be built. When Destiny launched two years ago, did anyone think it would be the CONTINUED hit it is today? No. It took time and multiple patches/expansions to bring it in line to where it is now (trading places with Call of Duties for the top streaming spot). Hello Games I think is in a similar position and good for them. The base game that shipped wasn't bad, it was just not all that was promised. This is the first steps to getting there, so expecting the game to now be a complete 180 doesn't seem a bit fair. This patch is not insignificant, and definitely adds meaningful content for individuals who already have had an experience with the game, or those who might want to jump in for the first time. I can say I'm tempted to grab the disc from Amazon again for 20 bucks to try my hand at a Survival Run (which I hear is ridiculous).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Among all the HYPE features PS4 users can rejoice as one of the patch notes is they finally added a bloody photo mode!

Also, that screenshot above is a bar with more than one alien in it?! That's an improvement. I mean they're all just on their tablets but that's pretty much all people do at restaurants and stuff anyway these days.

• Options
    So, how to initiate base building:

You can't just build a base anywhere, but you can find Habitable Bases on most any planet that you can use to start working from. I suggest scanning a planet while still far out, it will often ping a structure.

Once you have gone to a habitable base and activated it, you'll start a quest chain to build a couple rooms, then a terminal, then hire a dude from a space station to work that terminal, then he gets you a new blueprint for a different terminal so you can hire yet another dude... pretty soon they are giving you blueprints for things you need to make the cooler structure parts.

The nice thing is that there's a teleporter terminus on space stations now, so at any space station you can teleport directly back to your base... and then it will also let you go back to the last space station you had landed on. (Maybe it's the last one you teleported from, not sure, haven't played around with it.)

Still really early on with the base building but it makes the whole setting feel more alive when every space station has multiple aliens sitting around and you have a base you can use as a research hub or a corporate headquarters or whatever you want to think of it as. Like I said, only have the very base building blocks so far but I'm alreayd impressed.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Remind me, with all of these changes to terrain spawning, how will that work with the current seeded galaxy? The planets we've been to or are currently parked on just suddenly change?

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Holy moly the survival mode is hard. Super boring, in a sense, but if it's your kind of thing I think it might be pretty fun.

Basically, everything actually matters now; you'll be desperately waiting for your scanner to recharge to see if there's another cache of Thamium to power your life support, keeping an eye out for nearby caves to recharge hazard protection, etc. Creatures do way more damage, as does falling.

I've already come across three new elements; one requires a biohazard glove to harvest, and Titanium now requires an advanced mining beam. Animals now drop Mor-something, or at least the few I've killed have done so.

I've died five times now, I think, and on my current run I barely managed to survive the night by hollowing out a pillar of Heridium to create a makeshift cave just in time to recharge.

Some important survival notes:
    - moving drains life support, sprinting and jet packing drain it faster. Your systems show little arrows indicating how quickly they're draining or charging. This means you want to stand still while mining or whatnot.
    - caves are your best friend; my strategy so far is to find a cave, then pop out to do a few scans to see if there's Thamium or Zinc nearby, then run home.
    - you lose all the resources on you when you die, so transport things you don't need to your ship (still haven't made it to my ship; it's 5 minutes away which is about 2 minutes past my current range, I think, with my recently acquired stash of Th and Zn).
    - hazard protection goes down faster than life support, so that's the more immediate limit on your range, but life support doesn't recharge without Th, so it's more urgent to find fuel for.
    - I just now thought to check, and yup power gel and shielding shards are craftable right from the start; that will probably be helpful.

It remains to be seen how any of this scales past this intro section, but I'm having fun with it so far.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    Biggest thing I saw in the patch notes. Items can stack to 5, hooray.

Also sending resources directly to freighter, nice.

It seems that they have focused on many inventory quality of life issues.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    I'm confused about the freighter features. I have a pretty cool looking star destroyer, but it seems like I can only use it as a third inventory/summonable hanger.

I don't have a planetary base yet, do I need one to recruit npcs/build rooms in the freighter? It seems like I can't send the recruits directly to the freighter, at least not yet.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    I'm confused about the freighter features. I have a pretty cool looking star destroyer, but it seems like I can only use it as a third inventory/summonable hanger.

I don't have a planetary base yet, do I need one to recruit npcs/build rooms in the freighter? It seems like I can't send the recruits directly to the freighter, at least not yet.

Having not yet jumped back into NMS, how does one obtain a Freighter and for how much?

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    IDDQD wrote: »

Having not yet jumped back into NMS, how does one obtain a Freighter and for how much?

There will usually be at least one fleet of freighters in each system, in particular when you first warp in. The lead ship will have an icon on it, meaning you can dock in the hangar. Talk to the commander on the bridge (also marked) and you can buy that specific freighter for 7 million. They all have 13 slots, each slot can carry 1000 of each resource, compared to your starship's 500, and I believe you add more slots by building more cargo containers, but I don't know how to do that yet.

Also, when you participate in a space battle, you can get some resources by talking to the commander on the lead ship if there is a prompt.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    MetallikatMetallikat Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    So, I played around a bit and then went to quit. I got a black screen that I couldn't get out of and had to hard boot my PC.

EDIT: Also, should I be starting a new game to get the best out of this new patch?

Metallikat on
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    As I understand it, everything (base building etc.) is available in your old save, but there are now two new modes with their own saves (survival and creative (creative being unlimited resources I think?)).

I immediately started a new survival game, and after dying about 6 times to cold/fall damage/an angry crab/running out of life support I think I've gotten the hang of it. It becomes way easier once you have a ship and can harvest Th in space and stock up at a station, but then it kind of shifts to Plutonium being the limiting factor (take-offs are greeeeedy if you're not at a landing area).

The next moon I checked out after my starting planet (which was freezing cold) had acid rain falling constantly. I took shelter under a small hill of gold.
    275850_20161127162005_1s.jpg
    Eventually I may have mined my shelter away... but it was worth it.
    275850_20161127163304_1s.jpg
    Fare thee well, sweet hollowed out goldheap.
    275850_20161127163501_1s.jpg
    I'll treasure this first 500k forever.

Eventually I decided I wanted to build a base, and found a delightful planet: grassy areas, lakes, deserts, absolutely lovely variety and the climate was perfect. Unfortunately the sentinels were extreme and I wound up dying a few times until I got the little sidestepping jig down that lets you avoid most of their shots. After far too much time I decided to look up exactly how one finds/builds a base (press up on the D-pad or Z to open the build menu, drop a signal booster and search for habitable bases), and voila, my modest abode:

275850_20161127192521_1s.jpg

Of course, one can't be satisfied with such a simple habitat, so after much labor and love:
    275850_20161127192851_1s.jpg

Perfect.

Thus far I'm having a lot of fun, but then I was having a lot of fun with the base game, so I may not be the best standard for this. But I'm actually excited about having a base of operations that I can warp back to after exploring, which I was not expecting.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    Came in this tread to see what people thought of the new expansion. I was in the "I don't hate it, but it's not what I thought" camp at first so I am glad to see HG working on this and getting it closer to what they showed us originally. I tapered off playing it but may pick it back up after this.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    So there are 8 major features on that update page, typically with their own screenshot...what if they had put up a mini blog with one or two of these features every week after launch? Wouldn't that have helped a lot with all the negative public perception, people saying the game was totally abandoned and such?

What's better, sudden big update out of nowhere or drip feed so people know you're still working on it?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Drip feeding patches isn't really sensible given that each one requires a certification type thing which I believe costs money on consoles after the first one?

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    how's the flight model in the new patch? Can you fly close to planets yet, or do you still need mods?

I'm hoping they pay a ton more attention to the flight part of the game in 1.2

• Options
    I think that in HG's particular situation keeping quiet about the big patch until it was playable is at least totally understandable. Communication is a risk, and it's tough to tell whether the reaction after launch would have been "that looks cool" or "that should've been in the game already."

I haven't noticed any changes in the flight model; still can't get too close to the surface.

• Options
    Speaking of mods, are they all incompatible now? I can't see playing this game without fast actions.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I think that no matter what HG did, they would be lambasted by folks who are so upset that they classify NMS as a scam or whatever. Any in-progress update they might write up would get thousands of comments by people accusing them of not focusing on the "real issues", no matter what HG was actually working on. Furthermore, a lot of people feel like HG can't deliver at this point, so any kind of a status update might not achieve the desired effect - people would react to it they way they now react to Peter Molyneux. I actually kind of like that they just remained quiet, and then put out a pretty sizable, very non-trivial update. In my mind, it's like a "Oh, you thought we'd drop support? That we can't deliver anything? Well take this."

• Options
    edited November 2016
    I didn't really like that they kept quiet and was kind of pissed when they announced the foundations update as it made it sound like they were implementing the necessary ground work to enable useless bases but not even giving us the ability to make a rudimentary base.

However, when they updated that site with all the screenshots, video, explanations of everything, patch notes, etc. Holy shit, fine keep quiet if that works and you're gonna churn out that much content in just a few months.

BladeX on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    JAEF wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI9PvjJJijY

Might as well drop the video here too.

Oh god they did it didn't they?

• Options
    McRhynoMcRhyno Registered User regular
    Sort of in a no-win situation of their own making, but they tried to explain their radio silence:

"We hope you enjoy this first proper update. We didn't want to talk about anything in it until it was 100% certain."

PSN: ImRyanBurgundy
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    Big Classy wrote: »
    Drip feeding patches isn't really sensible given that each one requires a certification type thing which I believe costs money on consoles after the first one?

I didn't mean that, I meant drip feeding information about the upcoming patch, just to let people know they were still working on it.

Anyway, the consensus I've read online at this point is saying that if you didn't like the game before then this update isn't likely to change your opinion. Not a bad inclusion but not revolutionary either, and doesn't change the game from a "pass" to a "buy."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    McRhyno wrote: »
    Sort of in a no-win situation of their own making, but they tried to explain their radio silence:

"We hope you enjoy this first proper update. We didn't want to talk about anything in it until it was 100% certain."

I think that's a fine response. Basically did the exact opposite of what got them in trouble to begin with.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    is it possible to swing schadenfreude into "I hope this lil engine that could makes it"?

Good patch. ima wait a few more before i reload tho!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    Big Classy wrote: »

I didn't mean that, I meant drip feeding information about the upcoming patch, just to let people know they were still working on it.

Anyway, the consensus I've read online at this point is saying that if you didn't like the game before then this update isn't likely to change your opinion. Not a bad inclusion but not revolutionary either, and doesn't change the game from a "pass" to a "buy."
    Quite frankly, I can't say I blame them for not putting out any more info. The people who didn't like the fundamentals of the game might end up convincing themselves that these features will now make it fun, and the people who do like the game don't need to be hyped up on it.

If their goal was to get more people to (re-)buy the game then yeah building up hype maybe would have been a better strategy, but I really do think they just want to keep working on it.

I wouldn't expect anything "revolutionary," personally; as far as I can tell much of this update plugs into existing systems in a way that suggests they were planning to do all this stuff. So I'd expect future updates to similarly expand on things but not really... change anything?

On a different note, one thing I hope the farming aspect enables is having a collection of the cool plants you come across. My impression from the video is that it'll just be the little potted plants from stations, but I wasn't paying too close attention.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I would have liked to see every few weeks some sort of "Hey we didn't all abscond to aruba, we're still working on it!" update, but I also returned the thing. They've just been really bad about communication the entire time.

• Options
    rpshoggothrpshoggoth Registered User regular
    After the malevolent hatred poured on them by a seemingly infinite swarm of people utterly incapable of creating anything similar to what they did, I'm shocked they didn't burn it all to the ground and find a new industry to work in.

But hey, turns out they're better people than the howling horde.

So I'm going to get an even better game to play.