As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

US Presidential Elections

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I live in NC, and I'm registered, but at an old address. About a month ago I printed out two registration forms for myself and my wife, and since I'm such a slacker, they've been sitting here totally filled out waiting for me to find envelopes and stamps. Today a girl from the NC Dems came to the door as part of a registration drive, and I told her that situation, and she laughed and said she could just take the forms and save us a stamp.

ground game, bitches

Unless... it was a false flag operation, and she doesn't actually work for the Dems and is just going to throw it away?

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

In 2000 the Nader campaign never registered me and it was this sort of situation.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Nightmare I had last night. This was the election that proved the EC system was broken. Hillary wins the popular vote, but Trump wins the EC.

• Options
    jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    Nightmare I had last night. This was the election that proved the EC system was broken. Hillary wins the popular vote, but Trump wins the EC.

no, that was 2000

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

no, that was 2000

Well, that and election fraud.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The nightmare is 269 to 269 electoral votes.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

no, that was 2000

True, but that apparently wasn't bad enough.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »

Gee whiz Couscous, that sure sounds like an important reason to select a new Supreme Court Justice!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

no, that was 2000

Well, that and election fraud.

And activist judges

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ResIpsaLoquiturResIpsaLoquitur Not a grammar nazi, just alt-write. Registered User regular

no, that was 2000

If we're talking extinction level election tragedy, it is more likely an armed standoff at an essential voting location in a swing state.
    Imagine Florida 2000 but instead of voting irregularities an armed militia group blocked entrance to a 90+% Dem district, and a court ruled that despite the situation the law didn't allow for make-up voting and the vote margin would have made the difference between the two candidates.

Americans of both parties would likely chafe under the idea of international vote monitoring; even if the militia were prosecuted to the full extent of the law they did at least have proven that it could be done; and you have one party with an incentive not to change the rules to prevent it from happening again.

... hey guys, what's the opposite of spinning three times, swearing, and spitting?

League of Legends: MichaelDominick; Blizzard(NA): MichaelD#11402; Steam ID: MichaelDominick
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I just got an email from the Clinton campaign with the title "re: Nate Silver’s election forecast." Just thought it was interesting because I wouldn't have known who Nate Silver was if not for this thread.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Mr Khan wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So I'm guessing that Reince has decided to go all in on trump, but the part I don't understand is why; Trump's goals serve only to undermine the US's influence, he's utterly unmanageable, he's napalm'd any inroads with new demographics and dragged the ugliest parts of the base to the front and I can't imagine the big money donors want anything to do with him.

Like, I understand that they really hate the clintons and that party unity is important but why in the name of fuck would you try and intimidate the one guy in the whole primary who didn't come across as a douche canoe?

Supreme Court.

Donald trump being able to pick a supreme court judge should be a reason for Reince to oppose him, since the oompa loompa will pick a toadie who is loyal to him.

Isn't Trump's sister a federal judge?

Just sayin

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I just got an email from the Clinton campaign with the title "re: Nate Silver’s election forecast." Just thought it was interesting because I wouldn't have known who Nate Silver was if not for this thread.

What will really be surprising is when the campaign calls out the Penny Arcade forums political threads.

It's only a matter of time.

I expect one of you 'Muricans to get elected to something eventually.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Forar wrote: »

What will really be surprising is when the campaign calls out the Penny Arcade forums political threads.

Personally, I'd rather eat my own nose than run for anything.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Spent a few hours in north philly today registering voters today, was fun. Saw a bunch of other groups out and about all over the city as I went up there.

And when I came home, there was another lady from the campaign knocking on the door to my house as I drove up. HFA is going hard.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Er...it happened a few years ago. That person completely scrubbed their forum account though for entirely understandable reasons. It would have been laughably easy to link them to it and the country isn't ready for that.

(Though as others have said, given it a few years when the first online generation starts running for office.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Er...it happened a few years ago. That person completely scrubbed their forum account though for entirely understandable reasons. It would have been laughably easy to link them to it and the country isn't ready for that.

(Though as others have said, given it a few years when the first online generation starts running for office.)

Were they actually elected?

I'm aware of that occurrence, but I thought the issue was that they were running for office, not that they'd actually been elected.

*Puts Captain Carrot down as 'maybe'*

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    I considered running for something while I was in Philly. But I was in Philly and not from Philly, so it would have been a LaRouche/Paul-esque windmill tilt rather than anything serious.

I really do want to start a Philadelphia Freedom party at some point, though. Seceding from Pennsylvania is kind of a dream of mine.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »

Gee whiz Couscous, that sure sounds like an important reason to select a new Supreme Court Justice!

Nah, the Supreme Court has nothing to do with a tie. Then it goes to the House of Representatives, who would obviously pick Trump.

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    couple updates on the NYC explosions

1. apparently tannerite residue was found
    2. there appears to be surveillance footage available and the same person was seen in both locations
    3. all 29 injured have been released from hospital

also, CNN has a ridonkulous banner right now, but whatever

jmcdonald on
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    couple updates on the NYC explosions

1. apparently tannerite residue was found
    2. there appears to be surveillance footage available and the same person was seen in both locations
    3. all 29 injured have been released from hospital

also, CNN has a ridonkulous banner right now, but whatever
    dammit, CNN

• Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular

It's also encouraging in the sense that it implies her campaign assumes voters have a certain level of knowledge/intelligence.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Buddy of mine is running for state senate. Part of me is like "rock on" but the other part of me is like "How are you not having panic attacks 24/7?"

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I considered running for something while I was in Philly. But I was in Philly and not from Philly, so it would have been a LaRouche/Paul-esque windmill tilt rather than anything serious.

I really do want to start a Philadelphia Freedom party at some point, though. Seceding from Pennsylvania is kind of a dream of mine.

No way man. We count on you to drag Pennsyltucky kicking and screaming into the light.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I live in NC, and I'm registered, but at an old address. About a month ago I printed out two registration forms for myself and my wife, and since I'm such a slacker, they've been sitting here totally filled out waiting for me to find envelopes and stamps. Today a girl from the NC Dems came to the door as part of a registration drive, and I told her that situation, and she laughed and said she could just take the forms and save us a stamp.

ground game, bitches

Unless... it was a false flag operation, and she doesn't actually work for the Dems and is just going to throw it away?

*adjusts tinfoil hat*

Someone working for R's did this in VA in 2012.

(all charges were dropped within a year)

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular

I've considered trying to get into politics, but I'm a liberal Hispanic atheist. Republicans have nightmares about people like me.

But it's mostly because I'm socially akward and get anxious in crowds.

• Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

No way man. We count on you to drag Pennsyltucky kicking and screaming into the light.

Then somebody needs to pony up for the hundreds of millions of dollars of school funding we lose to the Republicans in Harrisburg every year. The children of Philadelphia are subsidizing statewide races with their futures.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular

Friends of mine have joked about me running for city council before.

I'll admit I've thought about it some. I've been here for 10 years now, so it's not an absurd concept anymore.

• Options

see, this is why i like Clinton. this was clearly pre-planned just in case it would be useful.

and lo! it was.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    does anyone else think its highly likely Trump will bring up Bill Clinton's infidelity in some way during the debate? Thus derailing everything into nonsense

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    does anyone else think its highly likely Trump will bring up Bill Clinton's infidelity in some way during the debate? Thus derailing everything into nonsense

So we can talk about how he cheated on his first wife with his second?

Or wait, was it second with the third? or both?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »

So we can talk about how he cheated on his first wife with his second?

Or wait, was it second with the third? or both?

The thing is being massively hypocritical or projecting has never stopped him before, 90% of what hes said so far every second of his campaign fits this framework

• Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    It's easily deflected I think, the exchange would go something like:

Trump: Bill Clinton!
    Clinton: This debate is about the choice between you and I, not Bill Clinton.
    Trump: I think it's important (include whatever additional comments and yelling you want add in your head here)
    Clinton: I disagree and the American people seem to agree with me seeing as they re-elected him.

Then hopefully the moderator isn't a limp marionette and does his/her job at that point.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Has Donald Trump suffered any real damage in the polling numbers after literally accusing Hillary of promoting birtherism?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Drakeon wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »

Nah, the Supreme Court has nothing to do with a tie. Then it goes to the House of Representatives, who would obviously pick Trump.

Now, if there were irregularities (e.g. said situation of a militia interfering with a vote) then SCOTUS would be relevant (possibly - I want to say that initial jurisdiction would be a state affair, but given timeframes it would be going through the courts at a breakneck pace). In that event, the least-bad option is definitely a do-over for the affected district(s), which are in many (most) states pretty small and it should be easy to secure the poll sites. I say least bad because it would also result in absurd turnout on the do-over, so it's not a perfect fix of what should have happened, but it's a democratic one at least. If it happened in a district with political bullshit like ultra-limited polling sites it could be... interesting, but I would hope the extreme national attention would fix that swiftly.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    notdroidnotdroid Registered User regular
    Has Donald Trump suffered any real damage in the polling numbers after literally accusing Hillary of promoting birtherism?

Too soon to tell, I imagine.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

I think it's still too early for it to show up. The results from then won't show up until the middle of the week, I think?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular

That was a Friday surprise, so probably find out tomorrow or Tuesday as that would be the earliest to get results with that information included in a survey.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular

I for one look forward to the day CNN cites my forum posts as an average American's opinion.

sig.gif
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Then somebody needs to pony up for the hundreds of millions of dollars of school funding we lose to the Republicans in Harrisburg every year. The children of Philadelphia are subsidizing statewide races with their futures.

The future is a commodity that has been bought and sold since inception. Ain't gonna change.

This discussion has been closed.