As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everyone has a [Podcast]

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I don't understand what the term "shitposting" actually means and it confuses and angers me

I think(?) it refers to intentionally posting something bad with the express purpose of riling people up or otherwise lowering the quality of discourse.

And/or posting while on the toilet.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    I don't understand what the term "shitposting" actually means and it confuses and angers me

intentionally low-quality posts

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    shitposting, for me, is the art of posting a tweet that makes someone exclaim out loud, "I hate this" as they click the like button

shitposting, for me, is the art of posting a tweet that makes someone exclaim out loud, "I hate this" as they click the like button

I just call that "posting".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I find Lovecraft's writing style to be very dry and boring and overly-analytical but I guess that's something that hooked people back in the day because the protagonist/narrator is always some intellectual dude who runs up against the unknowable and has their view of reality destroyed by it.

I've enjoyed playing the Call of Cthulhu tabletop RPG and seeing one of the HP Lovecraft Historical Society's "The Whisperer in the Darkness". I believe the only stories I read were "The Thing on the Doorstep", "In the Mountains of Madness", "The Curse of Yig", and one other I can't recall. Doorstep being the only one I actually enjoyed reading.

When I did run against the racism in it, even though I know it was true to the author's character, I just couldn't take it seriously. I don't know if it was due to the lens of time or just my overall lack of personal connection to the work, but it did not impact my take on the stories that much.

I'd definitely prefer to read more stories in that world through the POV of a character who wasn't an asshole academic, though, so that Ballad of Black Tom book sounds pretty dope.

TankHammer on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    don't worry i know how to make joel understand this

Shitposting is puns.

liEt3nH.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    shitposting seems to be used as a term to describe a wider spectrum of communication than I think what vinny is talking about

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    TankHammer wrote: »
    I'd definitely prefer to read more stories in that world through the POV of a character who wasn't an asshole academic, though, so that Ballad of Black Tom book sounds pretty dope.

I'm happy to hear that

I would also highly recommend checking out She Walks In Shadow, am anthology that's focused on women in the Lovecraft universe

25118836.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
    don't worry i know how to make joel understand this

Shitposting is puns.

Only when done on the toilet--I've covered this!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    shitposting seems to be used as a term to describe a wider spectrum of communication than I think what vinny is talking about

yeah to be honest when I think of shitposting I don't at all think of what @WeedLordVegeta does

I think of starting fights and posting offensive memes

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

yeah to be honest when I think of shitposting I don't at all think of what WeedLordVegeta does

so trolling

liEt3nH.png
    edited September 2016

yeah to be honest when I think of shitposting I don't at all think of what WeedLordVegeta does

Yeah, joking aside, I think of it as intentionally trying to sabotage or otherwise ruin a discussion. Something that is, for example, both amusing and intentionally stupid is just, well, a type of joke.
    so trolling

Essentially, yeah. A lot of people use "trolling" as a banner to hide behind when shitposting, so I think of the new term as a way of trying to rob them of that shield.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

it's making a dumb joke, often an inside joke or that sort of thing, that is bad and lame but can be sort of funny in that way that stupid inside jokes sometimes are to some people, and does not contribute to the discussion so it's sort of a white noise post

like going "Mods?!" or " @Blankzilla dinosaur feathers"

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I like to think what I do is hotshitposting.

*licks finger, touches it to his butt, makes a hissing noise while winking*

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    sometimes shitposts are good and not bad, like whenever chico posts

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I guess it's difficult to see both sides' shitposting--if we're talking right and left--from the inside

because the FATT shitposting weedlord engages in is the sort of dumb/sophomorically clever post that often elicits playful disgust akin to that of the noble pun, it's not trying to legitimately shit up a conversation. rather, the intent is always friendly, even if it is intentionally dropping the level of the discourse off a cliff

whereas when I think of shitposting of the trump meme sort, it's so hard to get that "good-natured ribbing" quality because I'm not on the inside of that. I guess that can happen plenty with shitposting about a media thing, but the stakes are just so much lower

I think I actually understand how both are shitposting now. it's just, like most rightwing humor, it's nastier stuff, or uses techniques I find gross, or takes aim at subjects I'm not inclined to laugh at, so it feels so wholly different from something I recognize as funny

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    So I'm learning Maya in University

3D animation is hard, but if I get this down it opens up a whole new world of possibilities when it comes to TV intros mashups

I'm hoping to start with this one. Three guesses as to what I want to mash it up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaPgd_x7Qmk

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    If you want an idea of what an intellectual shitposter looks like, theo, I cannot recommend following Michael Lutz enough

WeedLordVegeta on

3D animation is hard, but if I get this down it opens up a whole new world of possibilities when it comes to TV intros mashups

I'm hoping to start with this one. Three guesses as to what I want to mash it up with.

Is it me?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Which one of the HPL stories is it revealed that the terrifying creature is a black person

I know this was meant to be kind of a joke, but that answers are "Facts Concerning the Late Authur Jermyn and His Family" (Hoooly shit) and "The Reanimator".

If you want an idea of what an intellectual shitposter looks like, theo, I cannot recommend following Michael Lutz enough

very well. I will follow this lutz and expose myself to his shittery

f2ojmwh3geue.png

And for an unintellectual shitposter, might I suggest J. D. Lutz

cdci44qazyo3.gif

And for an unintellectual shitposter, might I suggest J. D. Lutz

ugh, lutz

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    I think DOOM is my game of the year

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

ur posts

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Justin and Sydnee McElroy are guests at the same thing as Aimee Mann, Peter Sagal, and the creator of Mad Men

6F32U1X.png
    -Tal wrote: »

ur posts

So, like, old bbs's?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Is it me?

Maybe one day

One guess down

Is it me?

Maybe one day

One guess down

Is it @Theodore Floosevelt?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    The intro to the latest fatt is so damn good. The intros for the interlude games have all been amazing

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated

Is it me?

Maybe one day

One guess down

Is it Theodore Floosevelt?

been prayin for the day i get mashed

f2ojmwh3geue.png

Is it me?

Maybe one day

One guess down

Is it Theodore Floosevelt?

been prayin for the day i get mashed

Wait hang on I think my question has been misinterpreted

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    The intro to the latest fatt is so damn good. The intros for the interlude games have all been amazing

I think I'll have to throw some money Jack's way because I continue to be blown away by how well that theme music works every time

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    I'm always struck thinking the theme is slightly longer than it should be, ideally

But the marielda theme is just SO good

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I would want Jack de Quidt to score a Terry Pratchett TV-series, which is probably as high praise as I'm capable of.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    I'm always struck thinking the theme is slightly longer than it should be, ideally

But the marielda theme is just SO good

The extended intro on it this time had me losing it waiting for the drop

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    The only thing that makes me okay with reading Lovecraft's less racist stories is that near the end of his life he recanted a lot of those beliefs

That doesn't excuse them, really? But it makes me okay with enjoying his less problematic works

...oh we're not talking about that anymore

Uh

Shitposting is shit

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    TankHammer wrote: »

I'm happy to hear that

I would also highly recommend checking out She Walks In Shadow, am anthology that's focused on women in the Lovecraft universe

25118836.jpg

I believe our very own @Quoth has a story in this!

This discussion has been closed.