As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sins of a Solar Empire - totally not Homeworld 3

• yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    can you do like

two humans vs. two AI

assuming yes, but

yourclothes on
    ssseeee.gif
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just found about this game and I'm now fiending so hard. I loved GalCiv and basically I'm a sucker for space games. Are there any good previews or early reviews out?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Darn it, I cant set the game to download before I head to work. How big is it? I want to play it not an hour after I get home :x

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Darn it, I cant set the game to download before I head to work. How big is it? I want to play it not an hour after I get home :x

It's about 1 GB.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited February 2008
    Dashui wrote: »

It's about 1 GB.

15 minutes, perfect, cheers mate.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • HubHub Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Great, I didn't know SSE one hour ago and just pre-order it from stardock because of you. I hope its good! :lol:

Hub on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Someone find out if like, midgame is still ridiculously hard to figure out where your millions of units are. If it's easier, it'll rock.

SniperGuy on
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Oddjob187 wrote: »
    Seeing mushroom clouds pop up on the surface of planets is pretty cool but uh, glassing a planet might be counter productive. Super weapons smell just like SupCom. You'll have to spend a week teching up fighting a game across 50 planets before you get a chance to build one.

Man but it is all worth it for the time you get to go

"MuHAHAHA but you did not expect to see the power of my... SECRET WEAPON!" and destroy their home planet!

links to video of this happening? sounds fucking incredible.

Well I am actually just predicting. But from that picture of a gun the size of a couple of capital ships I think I will probably be correct.

From the interviews and features about this game I've been following, there's a ship or movable space station used by the alien race designed to literally suck the base resources from planets. Think Galactus. But a space station.

Iriah on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    4X games bore the hell out of me, but I loved the Homeworld games even though Homeworld 2 kicked my ass.

Is this game right for me?

HadjiQuest on
    edited February 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    4X games bore the hell out of me, but I loved the Homeworld games even though Homeworld 2 kicked my ass.

Well, 4X games are generally slower paced, being turn-based and all. Sins of a Solar Empire is completely real-time, so things will be moving along at a much brisker pace. Plus, there'll be pirates and other small factions for you to destroy to gain experience right off the bat.

Anyways, this wait sucks. The timer says 21 more hours, but that can't be the real time for the digital download release. That would place it at Tuesday, when the release is Monday. The only thing people seem to be repeating is that it'll be up for download sometime in the evening, which sucks, because I'd like to download and/or play it right in the morning when I wake up.

Dashui on
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

It's about 1 GB.

I hate you just a little bit... it would take me like five hours to download that.

But this game looks awesome, it's coming to stores right? I've only read the last page of the thread so I don't know if it's download only.

Falx on
    edited February 2008
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

Well, 4X games are generally slower paced, being turn-based and all. Sins of a Solar Empire is completely real-time, so things will be moving along at a much brisker pace. Plus, there'll be pirates and other small factions for you to destroy to gain experience right off the bat.

Anyways, this wait sucks. The timer says 21 more hours, but that can't be the real time for the digital download release. That would place it at Tuesday, when the release is Monday. The only thing people seem to be repeating is that it'll be up for download sometime in the evening, which sucks, because I'd like to download and/or play it right in the morning when I wake up.

If the difficulty is more.... forgiving, I'll definitely jump this. I haven't played an RTS in maybe 5 years or so because most of them don't grab me. Also, because I'm pretty bad at them. But I'm kind of excited about this now.

HadjiQuest on
    edited February 2008
    Falx wrote: »

It's about 1 GB.

I hate you just a little bit... it would take me like five hours to download that.

But this game looks awesome, it's coming to stores right? I've only read the last page of the thread so I don't know if it's download only.

Best Buy has it on sale for $40 all week. Unless $40 is the standard price.

At which point, Best Buy has it.

HadjiQuest on
  • WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to try this. A lack of demo is extremely annoying, and being in the UK is also annoying.

WMain00 on
    edited February 2008
    No best buys where I live, I suppose I should have asked if a publisher has picked it up... oh well, I guess I can order it online in a few days.

Falx on
  • Blair FraserBlair Fraser Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hi guys, my name is Blair and I am the producer for Sins of a Solar Empire.

Here are some answers to a variety of questions recently posted here:

Is Sins too difficult? No. Details Here: Easy to play: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=402&aid=174536#1439921

When will downloads be available? Monday. Details here : http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=402&aid=174664#1439804

Where can I buy Sins? Online or at most major retail outlets. Details here (though not all stores are listed yet): http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/store.aspx

Why is there no demo? There will be a demo in about a month. Details here as to why with reply #22: http://forums.sinsofasolarempire.com/?forumid=402&aid=174611#1439868

Thanks for your interest in Sins. I'll be happy to answer any more questions here or at the Sins forums (forums.sinsofasolarempire.com).

Blair Fraser on
    edited February 2008
    Bugger, if they start handing out emails in the evening EST, that means I wont be able to play untill after work tomorrow. Oh well.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited February 2008
    Awesome, it's rare and a welcome surprise when "official" people get involved with us plebians. Welcome!

Falx on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Whee, official person posts! Thanks for the answers, I wasn't aware of the Stardock Central bit.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Digital download sounds like the way to go for me. Will be picking this up in a bit.

The_Scarab on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Can I link a boxed copy up with Stardock Central?

captaink on
    edited February 2008
    captaink wrote: »
    Can I link a boxed copy up with Stardock Central?

If Galciv is any indication you can register your game on Stardock Central for patches and mods, and the ability to download it later if you lose the CD.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well apparently you can d/l it now if you paid via tokens or were in the beta, if not you just sit in a corner and cry, like me

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I JUST purchased through stardock 5 min ago. registered it, and the game is downloading/installing through stardock.

is the game live? or is this just pre downloading it for when it goes live later?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    arcath wrote: »
    I JUST purchased through stardock 5 min ago. registered it, and the game is downloading/installing through stardock.

is the game live? or is this just pre downloading it for when it goes live later?
    I wish i could hate you to death D: and yeah, its live if your one of the lucky people its actually registered as having bought it already

taliosfalcon on
  • DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was in the beta, and I am downloading now.

I just thought I'd let you all know this.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Meh, I should have just bought it off Stardock, but I wanted the collectors box dammit. What time is it EST at the moment? Will they have started sending out mails?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How large is the download?

The_Scarab on
    edited February 2008

1gig was mentioned on the last page.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

1gig was mentioned on the last page.

Stardock Central is claiming the file size is 866MB, to be exact.

Bloodsheed on
    Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
    edited February 2008
    I just noticed on their forums that frogboy posted they should have all the preorder keys sent out..by.. 8 pm EST.... darth_vader_nooo1.jpeg

taliosfalcon on
    edited February 2008
    that kind of suck that preorders got the shaft like this.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    No kidding. Everyone who ordered today got their keys INSTANTLY. I ordered days ago and am still waiting, while all of my friends are downloading and playing it right now. Suck.

UPDATE: According to some SD employees, all of the e-mails went out. However, it's a big congested. Keep checking your e-mails, as it should come any time now.

Dashui on
  • DeadOnArrivalDeadOnArrival Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    K, just loaded the game up, watched the intro, first impressions are good, great epic intro music, perhaps a bit too grizzly voiced narrator, but awesome stills reminiscent of a colored-in homeworld cutscene.

DeadOnArrival on
    2zz3vp4.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    K, just loaded the game up, watched the intro, first impressions are good, great epic intro music, perhaps a bit too grizzly voiced narrator, but awesome stills reminiscent of a colored-in homeworld cutscene.
    Minute-by-minute updates or I swear I will end you.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited February 2008
    planet bombing seems neat. real time 4x seems weird at first, but neat at the same time.

the level of zooming is really awesome. i can zoom all the way down to see the launch bays on my cap ship, or zoom out all the way to see my 3 planets.

i just finished the first tutorial.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, I was reading this book about the life of the prophet Muhammad and I realized that Muhammad's tribe was like the Kushan/Hiigarans, the tribe they took Mecca from like the Taiidan, and the group his tribe took the trade routes from were the Bentusi. That is where the comparisons end because there is no single character in the Homeworld story that seems to resemble Muhammad and instead, the entire Kushan/Hiigaran people emulate him.

RoyceSraphim on
  • steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    arcath wrote: »
    planet bombing seems neat. real time 4x seems weird at first, but neat at the same time.

the level of zooming is really awesome. i can zoom all the way down to see the launch bays on my cap ship, or zoom out all the way to see my 3 planets.

i just finished the first tutorial.

I'm not sure if the AI has changed, but be careful about bringing Siege Frigates into a system before you're ready to bomb, as they (at least used to) book right for the planet to start bombing it, which could be problematic if there were still enemy ships/turrets about.

steejee on
    The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Blair FraserBlair Fraser Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    For anyone waiting for Sins to download (well actually for anyone who is interested), Galaxy Forge v1.0 has been released. It allows you to create your maps (which is different than the in-game Map Designer which creates random maps). Anyone can download it here: http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/downloads.aspx.

Blair Fraser on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Download is available now.

rayofash on
This discussion has been closed.