As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Marvel MCU] thread wrapped up tight in some kinda web...

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I will say that while the Bring Da Ruckus fight was great, it's disappointing that virtually every fight scene is basically either "Luke causally throws dudes while taking bullets" or "Luke uses his bulletproof back to protect someone from lots of bullets."

Well that was my favorite part of the Bring Da Ruckus fight because it had stuff like "Luke wraps a car door around a guy and rolls him down the stairs into his buddies like they were bowling pins." and "Luke shoves his hand in a wall and casually pulls out a pipe to club baddies with." That plus the soundtrack choreography and that's easily my favorite sequence in the Netflix stuff.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Luke's fighting style is so refreshing. No ninja flips, no flash, just going to work to get the job done as efficiently as possible.

I can't get enough of him bitching about needing a new shirt.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Crosspost from the Movies thread:

Doctor Strange was awesome.

And I saw it in 3D, despite not being a fan of 3D. This movie may just have converted me. (Pun intended.) For the first time ever I was glad I saw a movie in that format. I have never seen it done so well, with how it plays with perspectives and transparencies especially... just wow.

So, so good. Definitely up there with the best of the Marvels.

Jazz on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote: »
    I love the fraction hawkeye, but it definitely drives home the "Wait, why is this guy an avenger" angle further.

Tracksuit dracula is also kind of a misnomer iirc, they were just mafia. Not actually vampires.
    They do beat the crap out of him though. Hydra should probably have hired them.
    Tracksuit Dracula is just a jokey way of saying "stereotypical eastern european mobster guys". I've been using it as shorthand in tabletop RPGs for years.

After the Hawkeye comic, though, people now know what I'm talking about. Instead of just assuming I'm being weird.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

And I saw it in 3D, despite not being a fan of 3D. This movie may just have converted me. (Pun intended.) For the first time ever I was glad I saw a movie in that format. I have never seen it done so well, with how it plays with perspectives and transparencies especially... just wow.

Any sign of a very large eyeball with tentacles?

Fakefaux wrote: »

Not that I recall.

• FakefauxFakefaux Cóiste Bodhar Driving John McCain to meet some Iraqis who'd very much like to make his acquaintanceRegistered User regular

Not that I recall.

Dang.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    @jazz how was Mads as the bad guy? He's one of my fav actors and I'm nervous they're gonna waste him as a mook or something. ;P

Oh brilliant
    Here's a dedicated thread for Doctor Strange discussion: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/207633/by-the-mystic-moons-of-the-mcu-i-conjure-doctor-strange

I figured we'd be needing it soon.

@jazz how was Mads as the bad guy? He's one of my fav actors and I'm nervous they're gonna waste him as a mook or something. ;P

Excellent villain. One of the best kind: a guy who thinks he's doing the right thing. He was as great as he usually is.

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Back from Strange just now. Loved it.

Made Mikkelson did not disappoint.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Shut up about Dr. Strange I hate all of you.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Waiting to see it on Sunday the 6th with my friends because they're apparently incapable of doing a movie on a Friday night, gawd.

Even worse, local theaters have had tickets available for the 3D showings for like a week now, still nothing on the 2D showings (two of our group can't do 3D, gives them migraines or just otherwise makes them uncomfortable).

Damnit Cineplex just update your listings so I can buy like 6 tickets!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity, since the magic part of the MCU is coming together, have the Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange ever gone up against each other? That kind of thing seems right up Stranges alley.

Krieghund wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, since the magic part of the MCU is coming together, have the Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange ever gone up against each other? That kind of thing seems right up Stranges alley.

They've certainly met, both were involved with the Midnight Sons and Ghost Rider was a Defender for a while. I'm not sure they've ever fought, though. The Penance Stare would probably fuck Strange up if they did, he's pulled enough shit. Generally speaking, however, they operate in different circles. Ghost Rider is all about punishing the guilty on this plane, while Strange is all about defeating threats from other realities entirely. They cross paths from time to time, usually when the Hell-Lords are involved.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Krieghund wrote: »

They've certainly met, both were involved with the Midnight Sons and Ghost Rider was a Defender for a while. I'm not sure they've ever fought, though. The Penance Stare would probably fuck Strange up if they did, he's pulled enough shit. Generally speaking, however, they operate in different circles. Ghost Rider is all about punishing the guilty on this plane, while Strange is all about defeating threats from other realities entirely. They cross paths from time to time, usually when the Hell-Lords are involved.

It also would greatly depend on which Rider Dr. Strange fights against.

Johnny Blaze hosts the most powerful rider. This is a Rider that when it assumes full control and takes Blaze out of the picture could rip the Hulk apart with his hands. In World War Hulk it punched Hulk across New York with a single punch before riding off because Hulk hasn't done anything worth Vengancing....yet

Danny Ketch - Ketch/Addict Rider is the more docile of the Riders leaving the Host in the most control. Its most powerful weapon is the Penance Stare (something that Blaze wouldn't learn till years later after Ketch lost his Rider). After losing the original spirit he hosted he got the Addict Rider from an angel trying to take over heaven. He could drain the spirits of vengeance from their hosts. But this rider was a tool.

*Correction* Robbie Reyes - Not a Spirit of Vengence but possesses demonic powers of hell fire and control of a sweet car. He fought Hyde but I don't think he has been truly tested in the mystic realms. Least not like Blaze the Bounty Hunter and Ketch, I banged and nearly married Blackheart's sister.

Psychotic One on
    Ah, here we go. Strange did fight Johnny Blaze at least once, in the Daniel Way run. Blaze won using the Penance Stare. First time strange met Ketch, though, they only scuffled a little and then teamed up. Don't think he's ever had much to do with Reyes.

Oddly enough I can't find the first time Strange met Blaze; the Way-authored story can't have been the first, it came out in 2012 while Strange met Ketch in 1990 and already knew about Blaze.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Jaime Reyes is Blue Beetle, Robbie Reyes is the new Ghost Rider.

Robbie was rather bland from what I remember of his short lived series (the selling point was the super purdy art), heart of gold looking after his little brother in the ganglands of L.A. type stuff I think I remember from an episode of Hangin' With Mr. Cooper.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Jaime Reyes is Blue Beetle, Robbie Reyes is the new Ghost Rider.

Robbie was rather bland from what I remember of his short lived series (the selling point was the super purdy art), heart of gold looking after his little brother in the ganglands of L.A. type stuff I think I remember from an episode of Hangin' With Mr. Cooper.

I knew the name looked off but I couldn't think why. I corrected it.

And yeah. Reyes was kinda like the Street Level Ghost Rider which is really a waste of a character. Hopefully Agents of Shield can do more to give him more personality and make his version of the Rider more interesting. I thought Ketch's Rider was to subdued but damn it. He at least fought Demons and Vampires.

The initial Reyes plotline felt so weird. New, young, Latino Ghost Rider? Cool, sounds good. Gorgeous art? I'm on board. Plotline is about Mr. Hyde giving super steroids to gangbangers? That's... a bit off tone.

I mean, drugs in the community, sure, if you want to tell a story about a poor kid living in a rough LA neighborhood I can see why that fits as a theme. But if the character is Ghost Rider shouldn't those drugs be, like, anti-coagulants secretly distributed by vampires? Or maybe some demons are tricking addicts into signing their souls away for the next fix? Who thought Mr. Hyde and super science was a good fit?

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    hah, I dunno about our very first look at Captain Marvel being in her underwear. :tell_me_more:

looks like it's set on Earth, where there's a UFO invasion, possibly tied into Infinity War? But she's already got weird sci fi tech while she's still a pilot?

very surprised they have any footage at all yet. That's one of the last movies for Phase 3, right? 2019?

Oh brilliant
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    hah, I dunno about our very first look at Captain Marvel being in her underwear. :tell_me_more:

looks like it's set on Earth, where there's a UFO invasion, possibly tied into Infinity War? But she's already got weird sci fi tech while she's still a pilot?

very surprised they have any footage at all yet. That's one of the last movies for Phase 3, right? 2019?

The directors and screenplay writers are all ladies, so I don't think you're gonna see much in the way of over sexism, if that's a worry.

• Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    That... I don't know... What was that? That looked like a fan made film from Youtube. Is she a SHIELD/Avenger's Agent already if she's got that kind of high tech digital dressing room? That was... meh?

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    That... I don't know... What was that? That looked like a fan made film from Youtube. Is she a SHIELD/Avenger's Agent already if she's got that kind of high tech digital dressing room? That was... meh?

Nobody knows yet.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I guess after THE INCIDENT and also with several super geniuses around the tech level in the MCU probably took some leaps in the last few years and sci fi tech might be more common. Test pilot for Chitauri-tech based air/space craft? Like in Stargate or Independence Day 2.

edit: Maybe she can get sucked into a wormhole and meet some muppets and an astronaut?

honovere on
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I guess after THE INCIDENT and also with several super geniuses around the tech level in the MCU probably took some leaps in the last few years and sci fi tech might be more common. Test pilot for Chitauri-tech based air/space craft? Like in Stargate or Independence Day 2.

edit: Maybe she can get sucked into a wormhole and meet some muppets and an astronaut?

Don't get my hopes up here.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Yea that was a.....weird way to introduce Captain Marvel. Obviously it was all CGI and they probably just used some test footage from her near a green screen. But....first look being in her underwear? Thats.......that seems like a bad choice to me.

That looked fake as hell.

I'd agree but it would be very difficult to fake that kind of cell phone footage of footage.

I sure hope your right though.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Seems like a good choice to me because it's the only way to generate interest in Fetch Danvers #swish

It was sort of silly how that's the best CGI reel they could make though, imitating Independence Day and just slapping Larson's head on the body.

On the plus side it's no yucky short hair.

I was hoping for the short hair.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular

That's because it is fake. Well, official fake. Back when Marvel started the MCU with Iron Man, they did a bunch of quick, low budget previsual animation work in order to get a feel for how things would be put together. They liked the process and kept doing it for the rest of the movies. That's what this is, the low budget animation work to get a feel for how some scenes would flow. None of this animation will actually be in the release of the movie.

PSN|AspectVoid
    Ninjeff wrote: »
    I was hoping for the short hair.

Still pissed they didn't cast Gwendoline Christie, with the short hair.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

I'd agree but it would be very difficult to fake that kind of cell phone footage of footage.

For an example of exactly how this is done check out this fake post credits for AoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1urzF56aY

and how they made it (skip to 2.20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2FWJgKMbFQ

It's complicated but very doable

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO

For an example of exactly how this is done check out this fake post credits for AoU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ1urzF56aY

and how they made it (skip to 2.20)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2FWJgKMbFQ

It's complicated but very doable

Wow.

Well, ok then. I sit corrected!

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the guy interviewing simmons was garrus

obF2Wuw.png
  • McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Captain Marvel trailer needs more The Clash at Demonhead.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    McFodder wrote: »
    Captain Marvel trailer needs more The Clash at Demonhead.
    Oh yeah?
    Oh yeah!
    OH YEAAAHHH!

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    That Captain Marvel footage looked super fake and I'm pretty sure had clips from Independence Day added to it.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!