As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Startling Stories on the Silver Screen [Movies]

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I am learning from some friends that their lives have been made hell this week because the Death Wish remake starring Bruce Willis is filming in their neighborhood, and it's blocking all kinds of roads and disrupting everything

You know, if there's one thing America doesn't need right now, it's a movie where a white guy goes on a shooting spree.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    -Tal wrote: »
    What if this one is better

I mean it will have Judi Dench, but also Johnny Depp. I feel that cancels out.
    I mean

Kenneth Brannagh, Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, Michelle Pfieffer and Leslie Odom Jr. are also pretty fantastic actors

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    I am learning from some friends that their lives have been made hell this week because the Death Wish remake starring Bruce Willis is filming in their neighborhood, and it's blocking all kinds of roads and disrupting everything

You know, if there's one thing America doesn't need right now, it's a movie where a white guy goes on a shooting spree.

Also, the original was possibly the least necessary masturbatory violence fantasy of the time. All other squicky revenge spree films owe to Death Wish

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    death wish, huh?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

could come across as a real triumph of the willis

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    death wish, huh?

Never heard of it.

• Options

i officially hate you now

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

i officially hate you now

*kicks back in beach chair with tecate in hand* now i could get used to this!

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    How bad is The Other Side of the Door?

I do love me some Jeremy Sisto

Have you seen Paranoia 1.0 already? It's good, or at least very weird!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3GxWnW_EA

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Tim Burton was asked about his new film having an almost entirely white cast outside of Samuel Jackson who plays the villain.
    "Nowadays, people are talking about it more," he says regarding film diversity. But "things either call for things, or they don’t. I remember back when I was a child watching The Brady Bunch and they started to get all politically correct. Like, OK, let’s have an Asian child and a black. I used to get more offended by that than just... I grew up watching blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, that’s great. I didn’t go like, OK, there should be more white people in these movies."

So that's nice.

Jackson himself noticed it and went back through Burton's filmography and discovered he is the first black actor to have a non-supporting or smaller role in any of his 36 films and various projects, although he says he personally thinks Tim Burton is a "great guy."

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Tim Burton was asked about his new film having an almost entirely white cast outside of Samuel Jackson who plays the villain.
    "Nowadays, people are talking about it more," he says regarding film diversity. But "things either call for things, or they don’t. I remember back when I was a child watching The Brady Bunch and they started to get all politically correct. Like, OK, let’s have an Asian child and a black. I used to get more offended by that than just... I grew up watching blaxploitation movies, right? And I said, that’s great. I didn’t go like, OK, there should be more white people in these movies."

So that's nice.

Jackson himself noticed it and went back through Burton's filmography and discovered he is the first black actor to have a non-supporting or smaller role in any of his 36 films and various projects, although he says he personally thinks Tim Burton is a "great guy."

I am surprised.

Surprised.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    seriously was waiting for burton to bust out a "separate but equal" in that quote

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    List of non white characters I can remember from Tim Burton movies

Racist witch doctor caricature in Beetlejuice
    Racist Asian caricature in Franken weenie
    Racist caricature of Asian conjoined twins in big fish

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    billy dee williams was harvey dent!

this ends the list of non-whites i can remember

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options

Definitely the most significant but was still listed as a supporting cast member

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Definitely the most significant but was still listed as a supporting cast member

oh in no way would he be anything but a supporting player.

he was just literally the only non-white person i could remember from a burton movie

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The Oompa-Loompas were played by an Indian actor in Burton's remake. That version really leaned into the uncomfortable colonial aspects of the Oompa-Loompas compared to the 1971 version.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    https://mobile.twitter.com/Splurgehub/status/781902505684848642/photo/1

The whole concept of doing this movie and seemingly sticking so close still baffles me.

• Options
    -SPI- wrote: »
    The Oompa-Loompah were played by an Indian actor in Burton's remake. That version really leaned into the uncomfortable colonial aspects of the Oompa-Loompas compared to the 1971 version.

shit i forgot deep roy

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Precious Roy, Precious Roy
    Making lots suckers out of girls and boys

• Options
    Everyone collectively going oh shit was Timmy Burts a secret racist this whole time

• Options
    i legit thought it was that only lame white people went for his dumb mall goth bullshit

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Tim Burton: this lovecraft guy has some good ideas doe
    Like have you read his stuff, like really Read it?
    Me: oh no
    TB: YOU WERE ALL TOTES COOL WITH THE WITCH DOCTOR AND INDIAN SLAVES you are all complicit

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I think everyone is realizing the Tim Burton is exceptionally tone deaf and is surrounded by people who are not willing to call him on it. Which explains a lot about his style.

That said, Anne Hathaway Is Literally a Giant Monster in the Crazy, Original, Colossal and I expected something completely different and more like power rangers but with no rangers and only Rita played by Hathaway.

That said, I still wanna watch it.

Speaking of power rangers....... power-rangers-fans-slam-movie-studio-for-insensitive-caption-on-new-poster-for-yellow-ranger

You could have put that tag line on any other ranger and everything would have been fine. This happened over a decade ago, can't you do some fucking research?

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Did Burton do some kinda racist Lovecraft thing?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    Did Burton do some kinda racist Lovecraft thing?

i mean

yes that describes his entire career

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I think everyone is realizing the Tim Burton is exceptionally tone deaf and is surrounded by people who are not willing to call him on it. Which explains a lot about his style.

That said, Anne Hathaway Is Literally a Giant Monster in the Crazy, Original, Colossal and I expected something completely different and more like power rangers but with no rangers and only Rita played by Hathaway.

Speaking of power rangers....... power-rangers-fans-slam-movie-studio-for-insensitive-caption-on-new-poster-for-yellow-ranger

You could have put that tag line on any other ranger and everything would have been fine. This happened over a decade ago, can't you do some fucking research?

Wow

Peas on
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    It's been so long since I watched a Burton movie and now I'm trying to cast my thoughts back.

Sleepy Hollow? Man it's been since that movie first came out on video. Was that racist? I could see that being racist.

Did he do Corpse Bride? I remember something weird about Corpse Bride but I can't remember what

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    PhantPhant Registered User regular

It seems like the details of all the actors who have been in the power rangers series might not be something people working on a power rangers movie could really be expected to know?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Phant wrote: »

It seems like the details of all the actors who have been in the power rangers series might not be something people working on a power rangers movie could really be expected to know?

Not all, sure, but the originals who they're specifically homaging is a whole other thing.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Phant wrote: »

Not all, sure, but the originals who they're specifically homaging is a whole other thing.

It's still something that would only ever be caught by someone familiar with the original actress and how she died. Without actually having that knowledge, there is nothing at all about that tagline that would, or should, make anyone involved feel like they need to do any sort of research.

It's obviously something they should change immediately, and apologize for. But I can't really fault a marketing department for not making that connection.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Just saw Magnificent 7! I liked it. I don't know that it's as good as the original but a lot of that is nostalgia from watching it with my dad, so.

I also have this weird thing where, for movies with larger ensemble casts like this I really wanna know more about the individual characters and stuff. Like, more information than you could fit in a single film. I'm such a huge sucker for more and exposition and backstory.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular

Poor Speed...how does this keep happening?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    It's been so long since I watched a Burton movie and now I'm trying to cast my thoughts back.

Sleepy Hollow? Man it's been since that movie first came out on video. Was that racist? I could see that being racist.

Did he do Corpse Bride? I remember something weird about Corpse Bride but I can't remember what

Yeah, he directed Corpse Bride. I'm not sure what's weird about it though (besides that it also doesn't have any non-white characters)

• Options
    Tim burton probably isn't any more racist than most insular white artists
    It's just funny if he was actually racist this whole time and we are just so used to PoCs never being in gothic settings we never noticed

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Tim burton probably isn't any more racist than most insular white artists
    It's just funny if he was actually racist this whole time and we are just so used to PoCs never being in gothic settings we never noticed

ain't getting no michael clarke duncans to dress like a steam punk

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    edited October 2016
    OH GOD MAN IF THAT ISNT THE FUCKING NAIL
    planet of the apes!
    you put a pin in all of the questionable Burton shit and the strings all meet at planet of the apes
    with the weird casting and how like the black actors played the more war like screaming orcish apes

gogdamnit

NeoToma on
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    i feel like I'm in the shittiest Da Vinnci code
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unzsc7O6Q-A

NeoToma on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Montage of me losing my mind is set to the Ooogie boogie man song

NeoToma on
This discussion has been closed.