As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Coffee Rules Everything Around Me: a thread about your [job]

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh and I can tell my second job to go shove a pizza up their own asses

Apologies to Joe, but:

Panda_plays_in_the_3206640a.gif

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I just got a legitimate bank error in my favor and received a check from my student loan bank because I'd over played.

I probably should have just saved that money but instead I bought a MOTHER FUCKING LIGHTSABER

hj79is1w0uwk.jpg

Pretty sure I made the right decision.

Going to take it to school and use it to shoo all the kids out of the library in the morning when the bell rings.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Walked into work today and it was my GM that opened. After about twenty minutes of setting up, he turns to me and says, "So, Mike, you're leaving?"

Internal Voice: Yeah, dude, I gave my exit date several weeks ago to the Kitchen Manager. Do you not talk to him?

External Voice: Oh, yeah, I thought you and Chris had already hashed that one out, sorry. Let me give you the rundown.

So, I gave him the less gory details and explained how the last seven years had basically been a waste of my time, effort and money because Mom is losing the house anyway. It took a few minutes to answer the odd question or two and clear up some misconceptions about whether or not I was leaving right away and what my exit date was. See, a couple of days ago, I did a casual meet-and-greet with one of my potentially-new-managers and got a phone call from my potentially-new-GM yesterday. While I still do not have the recommendation for transfer in writing, the vibe from my GM was ... not concilliatory(?) ... but more along the lines of 'sorry to lose you.'

"That's definitely not fun."

"Well, it is what it is. I could sit around and mope and whine and whatever, or I could do what my life has conditioned me to do."

"And what's that?"

"Pick myself the hell up, wipe off the mud and blood, get my sorry carcass moving and get the job done. I have an eighteen-year-old goddaughter who is coming apart at the seams right now, two brothers who are finally talking to each other again, and a gaggle of close friends who want me home. I got work to do, people to see and places to go. I'll feel sorry for myself during my morning shower and then put my damn game face on."

So.

My GM is aware, I have an appointment to meet my (maybe) GM on Tuesday morning at 11AM, and I'll be driving up to Dallas with another load of boxes to dump off in my new house in Dallas on Monday night. I have to remember to ask my KM *NOT* to change my schedule at the last second again so I can bring all this together.

I'm going home.

Hell or high water, I'm going home.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    If you're in SF for a limited amount of time I cannot fathom why anyone would tell you to get pizza anywhere.

That is objectively a bad use of your time here.

Same with BBQ.

Shrug, was just suggesting places we go to often here. Tried not being a pretentious ass about it.

Nothing. Matters.
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I just got a legitimate bank error in my favor and received a check from my student loan bank because I'd over played.

I probably should have just saved that money but instead I bought a MOTHER FUCKING LIGHTSABER

hj79is1w0uwk.jpg

Going to take it to school and use it to shoo all the kids out of the library in the morning when the bell rings.

My wife got a letter from the German federal student loan office essentially amounting to "please stop giving us money, you had paid in full 3 months ago, there is a plus in your account, where should we send that?"

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Those wacky Germans.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My cold appears to be turning into a sinus infection.

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Grobian wrote: »

hj79is1w0uwk.jpg

My wife got a letter from the German federal student loan office essentially amounting to "please stop giving us money, you had paid in full 3 months ago, there is a plus in your account, where should we send that?"

Here in the UK the situation is heavily stacked against the payer. When it looks like you have a year or so worth of payments left you'll get a letter saying that unless you stop paying them through your paycheque you will overpay and there is no way to get that money back. You then have to call them and set up a direct debit from your bank account for an amount that they think will cover it.

It's all because the student loan company gets paid by a central government agency that takes the money from your paycheque. Whilst you pay monthly the loan company only gets its money once a year, so they have no way of knowing how much you've actually paid or have left to pay until they get that chunk from the government.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Ashaman42Ashaman42 Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    Which annoyingly also means that your monthly payments don't get subtracted from the total until year end but the interest is calculated monthly so you pay more interest than you ought to as well. All whilst the government earns interest on what you've paid them over the year.

Ashaman42 on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Aaaand I've come down with a stomach bug mere hours before I have to go to bed to get up for work.

This is going to be a lovely day.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I've been nagging my mother for several weeks about driving my car one handed and checking her phone in my car while driving.

The fact that she chose to do neither this morning may have saved us from turning a two car accident into a three car accident.

I know she will be testifying at church about it, the guard I was relieving was happy to not be late to his other job because I was not in accident.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    There is no way I would be able to function in the morning without a hot shower

Even the alarm clock only rouses me from a deep slumber into a zombie like trance that only running water can truly cure

especially in the winter

it's like warming up a car

gotta just chill out under the hot water for like

10 minutes yo

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Roll outta bed

throw on clothes

run 3 miles in the swamp

cool, refreshing shower

• CptKemzikCptKemzik Registered User regular
    I do about 10 minutes of stretches then a 15 minute shower every morning. Breakfast (apple and some cereal/granola bars) can easily be eaten in the car. Gets all the creaks and cracks out of my body, and I don't need coffee for the day unless I choose to get it after work before my part-time after-school gig (usually do because I love drinking coffee).

• JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh and I can tell my second job to go shove a pizza up their own asses

Apologies to Joe, but:

Panda_plays_in_the_3206640a.gif

@Bucketman

Yay! Congratulations! :biggrin:

UGkiGv.jpg

@Jedoc

Thanks for the assist!

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I'm currently using 2.5 hours between my alarm going off and me starting work, but I have 1 hour commute and make breakfast for my household. I also couldn't leave without both a shower and eating something real, I just don't function otherwise.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    JoeUser you are a delight.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Took the vols to Kruger today. Left here at 4:30am, just got back at 9pm. Glad it wasn't any longer because 30 more mins driving and I think I would have been asleep.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    It's been a very long time since I had someone come in and I say hello, and they just wander around ignoring me. This isn't a big place, like 700 square feet, it'd be pretty hard to legit not have noticed me.

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    My shower is easily the shortest part of my morning routine. If I cut it out not only would I feel and look gross as hell, it would barely even change what time I have to get up.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Nearly hit again on a one way street from someone trying to turn up it.

Trying to restrain her from making to racist remarks but the other driver was off their phone and trying to signal their turn up a one way street, presumably to the supermarket.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I need two hours between my alarm going off and me leaving the house. That's enough time to make a french press, drink two leisurely cups of coffee while getting in what's often my only hour of gaming for the day, then shower and get dressed during the last half-hour.

I forgot to set my alarm the other day and ended up with half that time, and I was grumpy and out of sorts all day.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Twelve hours later I manage to feel well enough to call my supervisor and lay out the situation for him.

Thank goodness he told me to stay home so I don't get everyone else sick.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    I need two hours between my alarm going off and me leaving the house. That's enough time to make a french press, drink two leisurely cups of coffee while getting in what's often my only hour of gaming for the day, then shower and get dressed during the last half-hour.

I forgot to set my alarm the other day and ended up with half that time, and I was grumpy and out of sorts all day.

Setting my alarm to go off early just results in me hitting snooze a lot.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't have an alarm but my dog feels it's time for me to wake up and assaults me with licking my face to rolling on me

Sigh since the week before Thanksgiving to last night they have fired 8 people from the shift I work so I am back to doing 4 to 5 aisles again
    I am just so bored anymore that I transend into despair

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Setting my alarm to go off early just results in me hitting snooze a lot.

Yep, the only way I'm getting out of bed is if I'm in a blind panic.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Hitting snooze on my phone-alarm became so commonplace for me in college that sometimes (if I was VERY tired) my body would just do it on auto-pilot and I would have no recollection of snoozing it. Or I would, but without the conscious thought of "oh, that's an alarm, that means it's time to get up now". It had just become a new process of "wake up only long enough to turn that annoying sound off. Return to sleep immediately."

This resulted in me placing my alarm-phone on the opposite side of the room before bed sometimes. Turns out having to actually get out of bed fixes that for me!

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Got a letter that any future payments into my ocupational pension scheme will get only half the interest of whar I got before because of the continuing low interest levels in general, whoooo :(

So it appears that emergency turn left its mark on her shoulder.

On the one hand, bad and sad this late at night.

On the other hand, she has benefits and a paycheck.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Hitting snooze on my phone-alarm became so commonplace for me in college that sometimes (if I was VERY tired) my body would just do it on auto-pilot and I would have no recollection of snoozing it. Or I would, but without the conscious thought of "oh, that's an alarm, that means it's time to get up now". It had just become a new process of "wake up only long enough to turn that annoying sound off. Return to sleep immediately."

This resulted in me placing my alarm-phone on the opposite side of the room before bed sometimes. Turns out having to actually get out of bed fixes that for me!

To solve this dilemma my body now just completely tunes out the alarm in favor of going back to sleep. Because once I'm asleep nothing is waking me up.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I made a twelve year old kid cry today.

In my defence, he flooded the room.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

With his tears?

• KarlKarl Registered User regular

ooooo what happened?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Him and his idiot friends were being "watched" by the EA and they managed to unscrew the disengagement switch off the eye wash station then turn it on. Which meant they couldn't turn it off as they have unscrewed the disengagement switch.

Then when I was talking to them after class they were still giving me lip so I went full angry teacher voice on them and that guy didn't take it too well.

He showed up for detention though, the guy that caused most of the mess didn't though.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Him and his idiot friends were being "watched" by the EA and they managed to unscrew the disengagement switch off the eye wash station then turn it on. Which meant they couldn't turn it off as they have unscrewed the disengagement switch.

Then when I was talking to them after class they were still giving me lip so I went full angry teacher voice on them and that guy didn't take it too well.

He showed up for detention though, the guy that caused most of the mess didn't though.

Well at least now you can escalate that no show with either a fun time call to his parents or referring him to his administrator, whichever your school does first.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So, found a needle cap in the family washroom, a entire needle in the men's room, blood on the sink counter, blood on the garbage bin, and a bunch of needles and a clinic blood test kit (you know, the one where they take blood to test for iron levels etc), and someone's drug case in the men's garbage, a pretty pink one with Disney Princess stickers.

Druggies can be disgusting.

Yeah, it is being followed up by the HoD.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

I've found the fitbit alarm is much less "OH MY GOD LET ME SLEEP" versus my phone alarm.

Plus hearing my alarm as someone's ringtone doesn't give me crazy amounts of rage when I'm in public.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    I've discovered a really nice alarm app for Android that has me do tasks on the phone to turn off the alarm.

You can make it give you math problems, set up a miniature game of memory, have it give you a random string of numbers and letters to enter into it, stuff like that.

I think the most effective one might be the one where you have to take your phone and scan a barcode with it to turnoff the alarm, though. Keep the "key" for that one in the bathroom in the morning and you are pretty much forced to start your day.

• Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    As someone who routinely gets up to use the bathroom when his first alarm goes off and then goes back to bed for another 30 minutes, I don't know about that.
    I'll get up exactly when sleeping any longer would make me late and no earlier it. At this point I've pretty much just accepted it.

This discussion has been closed.