As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Some References from the Bible

Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I may get slapped on the hand for this one, but I'm doing a paper in which I have to Compare/Contrast two topics. I've chosen The Lord, and The Devil.

Could some of you good people give me some good quotes to put into my paper that help to show the difference between the two.

I plan on looking in the bible myself, but it might be easier if some of you already have some stored up in your noggins. haha.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tucanwarrior13 on

• Options
    JPArbiterJPArbiter Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Comparison, there is not scientific evidence that either exists

Contrast: In terms of behaviour, at least when one looks at christian mythology, God is overconfident to the point of incompetence, and Satan couldonly be described as a calculating politician.

JPArbiter on
    Sinning since 1983
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    Good Point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Does the bible even have quotes from the Devil in it? I mean, I know he isn't in the old testament due to... you know, him being a Christian invention, but I didn't even think he had a lot of reference in the new testament either. But then, I could be wrong. Go read and quote Memnoch the Devil, by Ann Rice. That had some interesting points to make.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    plantersplanters Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Actually the Devil has some quotes in The Bible in the New Testament, in the four Gospels when he tempts Christ.

planters on
  • Options
    dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    For the devil, look at Ezekial 28:11-19. Many Christians believe this passage refers to the Devil and his fall.

dsplaisted on
    2850-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    For the Lord, check out Philippians 2:5-11

dsplaisted on
    2850-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    those both look like pretty good references thanks.

I also think I worded my first post a bit wonky. I meant to ask for references, not direct quotes. Sorry about that.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Does it have to be directly from the bible? You can always look at Paradise Lost, which probably has one of the most famous portrayals of the Devil.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited April 2007
    I'm not sure quite what your distinction is between references and quotes. By references, do you mean Bible texts as opposed to quotes from other sources?

dsplaisted on
    2850-1.png
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You might want to pick up a copy of Paradise Lost by Milton for another reference source.

Fellhand on
  • Options
    mrcheesypantsmrcheesypants Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    First chapter of Job.

mrcheesypants on
    Diamond Code: 2706 8089 2710
    Oh god. When I was younger, me and my friends wanted to burn the Harry Potter books.

Then I moved to Georgia.
  • Options
    FristleFristle Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Here's one way to compare/contrast the God and Satan characters.

Fristle on
    Fristle.jpg
  • Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    There are references about the devil in the Old and New Testament, the book of Job for example which reads like this:

"One day the angels [a] came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan also came with them. 7 The LORD said to Satan, "Where have you come from?"
    Satan answered the LORD, "From roaming through the earth and going back and forth in it."
    8 Then the LORD said to Satan, "Have you considered my servant Job? There is no one on earth like him; he is blameless and upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Job;&version=31;

The devil is not always called Satan, there is a Prince Mastema (sometimes spelled Mestema) who is actually the prince of darkness in the Old Testament, in the New Testament the religious leaders called him Belzebu, Prince of Demons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mastema

I agree with those that recommend reading Paradise Lost, but keep in mind that this poem was based on books considered apocryphal, and were not included in the bible.

Fantasma on
    Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!
  • Options
    RFXRFX Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    First chapter of Job.

I came in here to say the exact same thing. I think the devil actually has lines in this part, but I may be confused and it's done in narrative.

RFX on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Fristle wrote: »
    Here's one way to compare/contrast the God and Satan characters.
    Banned.

Nah, I'm just joking. I was totally going to post that. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    You may want to consider satan's role in the old testament. God, in being 'the right way' had his opposition, satan, or 'the accuser'.

Basically the concept is, if you an idea you think might be correct, you should put it to the test. This is the role of satan, who's job it is/was to find holes or problems with any theory put forward as being correct.

In the story of Job for example, the question being asked is if righteous people are such because it it easy to uphold certain standards in a pressure free environment. When Job was put to the test, it was to see if an upright man would crumble under pressure, or hold to his way of being when there was no apparent or immediate benefit in doing so.

It was later when the ideas of satan and the individual known as Lucifer became combined. Lucifer took on a satanic role when he decided that angelic creatures no longer had to follow what was right, and instead could use their power for their own benefit. Angels have always been considered as creatures very closely linked with God, and so to go against God, to go against what is inherently correct, put the rebel hosts in the position of vanguard to evil (wrongness) in terms of their mortal relationships.

Lucifer became a symbolic figure, deeply personified by cultural terms, much like God was personified and granted individual status by the same terms. Satan the being was created by the ideas of men and credited with his own agenda, much as YHWH was similarily personified as God and credited with an agenda in line with certain men. Both beings have been transitioned from thier original ideas and been assimilated into positions which do not truly reflect their origins or descriptions.

Lucifer for example, is now often culturally credited with as much or more influence in the world as in active, aggressive enemy against God, often presentedas an almost absentee or sleeping entity who holds only a subtle influence. In original terms, God is correctness personifed to give meaning and direction, while Lucifer is an actual being, a product of an unseen dimension to the natural world. These two could not be opponents any more than say, a man angry with gravity. Cultural perceptions and definitions of these forces have shaped the ideas surrounding them to place them in a type of conflict easily recognized and understood by almost everyone.

Both are now so far removed from thier original descriptors that they can often seem at odds with thier original backdrop. Demons for example, are portrayed as ugly horrible things when in fact they are the same exact beings as angels. God and the portrayal of his unyielding stance on certain moral issues places him in a supervisory position over a great number of evils, when in fact 'being correct' is a somewhat flexible position which changes its recommendations as new information presents itself to mankind.

Just food for thought, though if you're just looking for quotes, Genesis has a few when God is speaking to Adam, The Temptation of Christ in the gospels is a classic, Peter has some very interesting things to say about God, and Job as mentioned already. Sounds like a really neat idea for a paper, good luck!

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    MotherFireflyMotherFirefly Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Yeah, there's definately quotes regarding the Devil in both the Old and New Testaments...

Anyways, here is a list of bible passages referencing the Devil in Multiple fashions (you could also try searching for him as Satan or Lucifer--if you're looking for multiple ways).

http://www.biblegateway.com/topical/topical_resource.php?source=1&tid=4264

I'd recommend using that site for a lot or most of the biblical references you do. Some popular Bible stories involving the Devil include the aforementioned stories of Job and the Temptation of Christ.

You could also include: The Fall of Man (Adam & Eve), and the Devil's confrontation with Christ in the Garden of Gethsemone (you can see this in the beginning of the Passion of the Christ movie), also the story of how He was cast out of heaven--believing himself to be better than God, his perfect form etc etc.

Also if you're going for outside Biblical Text References.... (Goethe's) Faust is a very very good reference (he is known as Mephistopholes), you could also reference Marlowe's "Dr. Faustus", and of course Dante's inferno

if you're sticking to strictly christian references, I think another poster may have posted this link (I only saw wikipedia) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_in_Christianity
    This article talks about a bunch of additional references.

MotherFirefly on