As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kinect 2 on PC usb 3 issue

DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
So I recently bought a kinect in an attempt to use it for motion capture with my PC. Turns out that even though I have USB 3.0 there's some specific version of USB 3 that I need to use the kinect properly.

From thier support page

"Only USB3 controllers from Intel and Renesas are supported"

I have an amd board so I assume that's the issue. I could buy a USB card but my video card is blocking my PCI-e port. All I have is a normal PCI slot.

Can anyone recommend a card I could buy that would work? Or another solution?

616610-1.png
Disrupter on

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I believe this could do the job? I only mention it because it seems to fit your criteria (USB 3.0, PCI interface), and the driver name is apparently has "RENESAS-USB3-HOST-DRIVER" in the name, and apparently it shows up as a Renesas USB 3.0 extensible host controller in the device manager?

Someone else will probably give you a definitive answer, but just in case, i think this would work--and also it's pretty cheap (and you could return it easily if not).

• Options
    Thanks for the link! I might try that card but right now the issue is my gpu is blocking my PCI-e slot and I only have the old standard PCI slot.

However I found a riser with cable and a 90 degree expander that should allow me to access the coveted slot from a different slot.

I'll keep that card in mind as I look for cards. That one seems like it should work. I'll keep you updated if I can solve the problem

616610-1.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Whoops--could have sworn that was PCI card, but obviously it is not.

And USB 3.0 boards that are "Conventional" PCI are frustratingly hard to find.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Whoops--could have sworn that was PCI card, but obviously it is not.

And USB 3.0 boards that are "Conventional" PCI are frustratingly hard to find.

That's because PCI is limited to, iirc, 133MB/s of transfer speed, whcih works out to just over 1000mbit/s, or roughly 1gbit/s. Considering that USB 3.0 is capable of 4.5gbit/s it's mostly pointless to have USB 3.0 on the PCI interface.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Gotcha. Yeah I figured that would be the case. I do see some eoensive PCI USB 3 cards but I doubt they will work with the kinect

616610-1.png