As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] River Blues

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    my favorite game i've played was actually one i expected to hate

@Tarranon had us play two truths and a lie with @Organichu @visiblehowl @Irond Will @So It Goes and uhm i forget who else... shit.

it was so fun and we were laughing so much that the people next door came over not to scold us but holding a bottle of rum and asking to party with us

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    but yeah I can tell right now I wouldn't have fun playing codewords because people are terrible at words in general and you either have dumb dumbs who think lasers are shiny or dumb dumbs who give you a clue that references anime or some shit

when i was in the hot seat i said 'vote' because 2 of my words were 'card' and 'ruler'

they chose pole because they thought 'well maybe he thought pole was actually poll so he could be trying to say that'

literally always talking themselves into choosing worst answers instead of the easiest most obvious choices
    This is the best part. Oh, the twisted web of lies we weave.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Wasteland 3.

Hmmm. Never Kickstartered anything before but that sounds nice.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    You can't be both rincewind AND vimes, Havelock. That shit may work with people that don't know discworld but you can GTFO right now with that. Pick one.

(it's rincewind.)

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Alternative choices for characters that represent me:

Remy from Rataouille, Henry Spencer from Eraserhead, Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service, Lisa Simpson, Edward Scissorhands, Buster from Arrested Development, Amos from Chicago, Philip Seymour Hoffman in Boogie Nights, Steven Universe, Agent Cooper from Twin Peaks, Farmer Hoggett

• Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    also i'm in a fight with my roommates because we had game night and the played this game codenames and the codename was 'shiny' and we had to pick the 2 correct words that sounded the most like 'shiny' which i correctly pointed out were 'Robot' and 'Angel' but they decided to go with needle (da fuck) and laser (um) so we loss

i hate team games like that or mafia where the challenge for me isn't figuring out the answer, it's convincing everyone else not to make the wrong decision

Needles are made of metal and lasers are literally made of light. I would probably pick both over angel

yeah but if you had the word 'needle' you wouldn't think of 'shiny' you'd think pointy or prick or laundry or clothing or stitch.

like i said, you gotta look at the list abstractly and realize that if they had those words, they would have chosen something else to convey them besides shiny

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    brian, let it go

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I want to ban the word "simple" at my workplace.

If I'm ever a manager (hint: I won't be) I am definitely banning it. Whatever you do, no matter what, you will be disallowed from using "simple" as a way to describe it.

Banning a word is simple if you're a manager.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    this is a clever usage of the vine format

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    @spool32 and I won a round of werewolf by calling each other the werewolf the entire game

(we were the werewolves)

that was fking epic

Syndalis and I had a pretty amazing round as werewolves in the clocktower at PAX East, featuring Hakkekage desperately trying to get anyone to listen to her and failing utterly while each of us talked to a separate group so they never listened to each other...

There are few things in life better than watching the light of hope dim in Hakks eyes as you slowly gaslight her in a game

I only hope you werewolf motherfuckers one day doubt your own sanity as I, a modern day Cassandra, have suffered

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I want to ban the word "simple" at my workplace.

If I'm ever a manager (hint: I won't be) I am definitely banning it. Whatever you do, no matter what, you will be disallowed from using "simple" as a way to describe it.

We have a new guy who habitually underestimates how difficult things are.

I want to ban him personally from using the words "simple" or "easy."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Castle u and ur future waifu need to host quiplash again that was fun

Also I had fun playing the drawing one with chatters

• Options
    Characters that represent me right now: That old guy from "Up". :(

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    brian, let it go

No. He's suffered quite unjustly. I will die on this hill beside him.

• Options
    P10 wrote: »
    desc wrote: »
    this is a clever usage of the vine format

Yeah the timing with vines is its own art because the audience internalizes that 6 second tempo unconsciously

Limitations are freedom

• Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

:<

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I mostly try to be pretty tolerant but the other day I saw this dude in line somewhere, and like immediately got that creeper vibe in my stomach, like hardcore.

So the day passed and the week passed and two weeks passed and then I was at the liquor store and I saw him walking out of it with another dude and they were both wearing furry-con shirts.

There's really no more to that story.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Havelock2.0Havelock2.0 Sufficiently Chill The Chill ZoneRegistered User regular
    You can't be both rincewind AND vimes, Havelock. That shit may work with people that don't know discworld but you can GTFO right now with that. Pick one.

(it's rincewind.)

Yeah it's definitely Rincewind.

I meant Vimes pre Guards, Guards but fair enough.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe
  • Options
    brian, let it go

i was pretty high last night when my team chose laser and made us lose and might have blown up saying something like 'maybe we should fucking listen to me talk for a fucking chance'

and then went downstairs and haven't seen or talked to anyone since so

it's probably fine

Arch,
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Also it was like 2 in the morning, I was dying from exhaustion and the eternal suffering of having to deal with a bunch of dudes IGNORING ME EVEN THOUGH I WAS RIGHT THE WHOLE TIME

*flips pool table*

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    You'll feel better if you murder a man for his zeppelin.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    I will not tolerate this Codenames bashing

People who dislike it generally dislike social games because they don't have a system mastery element to chew on

Because they are grognards stewing in their critical hit tables and armour penetration charts

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Havelock is really the Bursar

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Also it was like 2 in the morning, I was dying from exhaustion and the eternal suffering of having to deal with a bunch of dudes IGNORING ME EVEN THOUGH I WAS RIGHT THE WHOLE TIME

*flips pool table*

the outrage was palpable. 8-)

• Options
    edited September 2016
    Also, Secret Hitler is fine and all, but my current social deduction game jam is "Don't Mess With Cthulhu". The things I like about it:
    * Unlike many other social deduction games, there's no "everyone close their eyes" script necessary.
    * The special powers are randomly revealed during play, and require no explanation ahead of time.
    * There's no player elimination. If you are "outed" as a cultist, you can still participate and bluff. There's almost no penalty for having your identity outed... it simply just changes your tactics when you bluff.

Another social deduction game I'm enjoying is Werewolf: Inquisition, which also has no player elimination. It's a little more complicated to play, which may be a benefit for someone looking for a more meaty deduction game. It even has role-selection elements, like a lot of Euros.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Sir LandsharkSir Landshark resting shark face Registered User regular
    a
    Hakkekage wrote: »

*flips pool table*

were you getting mansplained and talked over

Please consider the environment before printing this post.
  • Options

People who dislike it generally dislike social games because they don't have a system mastery element to chew on

Because they are grognards stewing in their critical hit tables and armour penetration charts

not at all

I'm just better at words than most people and really can't see myself being happy with dead weight teammates

• Options
    I apologize if that came off a bit egotistical but I sometimes have trouble being tactful with the truth

• Options
    codenames seems p easy enough to setup over Skype/twitch

lud and brian can be on a team

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Codenames is good.

You gotta make your clues for your team. I imagine it wouldn't be as fun with people who don't know each other well.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    I apologize if that came off a bit egotistical but I sometimes have trouble being tactful with the truth

sorry not sorry 100 fire 100 fire

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

not at all

I'm just better at words than most people and really can't see myself being happy with dead weight teammates

If you can't adjust your clues to the people you're playing with, then you're bad at the game!

Sometimes you do make bizarre discoveries, though; for "mouse" and "genius" I said "Algernon 2" and nobody at the table had read or even knew the plot of Flowers for Algernon

• Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    you were supposed to say "i know words, i have the best words"

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Killer Instinct is fun as hell
    I have no idea what I'm doing during combos, but they are the best thing

• Options

not at all

If you can't adjust your clues to the people you're playing with, then you're bad at the game!

Sometimes you do make bizarre discoveries, though; for "mouse" and "genius" I said "Algernon 2" and nobody at the table had read or even knew the plot of Flowers for Algernon

philistines

• Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Some folks say that luds egotistical

Hell, he don't even know what that means.

It must have something to do with the way that he fill out his skin tight blue jeans.

rockrnger on
  • Options
    P10 wrote: »
    you were supposed to say "i know words, i have the best words"

I don't feel the need to emulate president elect Trump

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Killer Instinct is fun as hell
    I have no idea what I'm doing during combos, but they are the best thing

That was the best thing to play in the mall arcade. Better than Mortal Kombat 2, maybe 3.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    the problem with it is that your team just shouts and shouts and shouts and then someone makes a decision

i tried to be like 'ok lets each take 15 seconds to say what two answers we want to do, explain why and then we'll all vote'

they refused to do that as too complicated, so they continued to shout and ignore me and then choose the incorrect answer

Arch,
This discussion has been closed.