As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Simpsons] did it first. A love thread to Thrillho

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    alex i hold you personally responsible for it not coming to pass

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    "Don't worry son, I'm sure he's up in heaven laughing it up with all the celebrities...John Dilinger, Ty Cobb, Joseph Stalin.."

"Sigh..I wish I was dead"

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I like that Simpsons has the same problem that you only see in stuff like Marvel comics

At this point, for Skinnner's Vietnam vet backstory to make sense, you have to assume he's at least 70 years old now

Funny part of that is, according to Math, Homer of the first few seasons should have been a Vietnam vet. Homer's age has been pegged between 36 and 40, so 1989-Homer was born somewhere between 1949 and 1953, and would have graduated high school between 1967 and 1971, and you know Homer wasn't getting any deferments.

• Options
    WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I like that Simpsons has the same problem that you only see in stuff like Marvel comics

At this point, for Skinnner's Vietnam vet backstory to make sense, you have to assume he's at least 70 years old now
    I don't mind that. What I hate is the opposite, how they insist on retconning the year Homer and Marge met with a new flashback episode every few years to keep it current.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    This show's plot structure makes these blind rewatches fun

Hmm, what completely unconnected first act leads to the plot I actually remember

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    there's @crwth

get back to Winnipeg

• Options
    22 Short Films About Springfield is starting

If you have to make me pick a best episode of the show, it's probably this one?

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Oh my god
    The pulp fiction episode

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Mr Khan wrote: »

Funny part of that is, according to Math, Homer of the first few seasons should have been a Vietnam vet. Homer's age has been pegged between 36 and 40, so 1989-Homer was born somewhere between 1949 and 1953, and would have graduated high school between 1967 and 1971, and you know Homer wasn't getting any deferments.

He also got Marge pregnant pretty soon out of high school, so should be in his late twenties

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    hmm, can't see how this episode about scapegoating all of your problems onto hardworking immigrants could be relevant today

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    You Only Move Twice is up on the marathon now

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FztO9Wm59dc
    I went looking for this clip and I really, really was not disappointed

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    ThingsICantFindOtherwise is a YouTube channel just full of a shitload of Simpsons clips

If I'm in a down mood I just pop it on for a few minutes and all is well

• Options

He also got Marge pregnant pretty soon out of high school, so should be in his late twenties

Hence the controversial "That 90s Show," which filled in the historical gap that's always been there, since "The Way We Was" in 1992 had them graduating in 1974, meaning they were 17-18, 18 years ago, which is the 36-year-old peg.

The one episode about the birth of Bart did say they were dating for "a few years," but it would be more like 8 years between high school and marriage, minimum.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

In the original timeline the show presents,Homer is only maybe 32 They've aged him up a few times since which in turn created that terrible 90's lol episode

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    "that 90s show"?

Let me Google that.

Oh my god that sounds like a nightmare of an episode.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Oh lord, it'll be updated eventually so that they met on Tinder won't it?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    "that 90s show"?

Let me Google that.

Oh my god that sounds like a nightmare of an episode.

Just watched the first 5 or 6 minutes of it. No jokes, a shitload of outdated references that were stupid when the episode was made and have only aged badly, and a terrible attempt at writing an "edgy" young college professor.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Huh, that is the episode where homer sings that Bush song? I remember liking it, but I might not have seen it since it aired.

I don't mind them fucking with their continuity, though, so I can understand if someone dislikes it on principle.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    "Where is that elderly old man?!" is still a big player in my mental vocabulary.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Caught "Bart After Dark" yesterday. Forgot how good the old episodes could be.
    "This is Maison Derrière, it means "The Back House".

Oh, young See, how innocent and naive you were that that joke went over your head.

• Options
    Season 9-13 is this weird middle period of the show where they start fucking with the continuity and changing stuff

Lisa becomes a vegetarian and Buddhist, Apu gets married and has kids, Maude Flanders dies

It's just weird that after 8 years or so they decide to start changing stuff

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Season 9-13 is this weird middle period of the show where they start fucking with the continuity and changing stuff

Lisa becomes a vegetarian and Buddhist, Apu gets married and has kids, Maude Flanders dies

Well, Maude's death was due to a VA issue if I recall right.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Caught Bart the Mother this evening. Bart's exchange with Marge when Skinner wants to kill his lizards is so on point
    Bart: Everyone thinks they're monsters. But I raised them, and I love them! I know that's hard to understand.
    Marge: Not as hard as you think.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    While the show is definitely slowly declining in this period

It DOES have a lot of Gil...

and Gil is very good

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I'm more amazed by how much they stay the same. Imagine the stories they could tell if they let the kids be teenagers for awhile.

And imagine if the style of the show moved with the times instead of being this unchanging rock.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited November 2016
    I can think of one show that does this well in animation and zero one zero in real life

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Watching season six

https://youtu.be/kkIZGp4oKMs

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    https://youtu.be/jTwVhyOO1CU
    Preemptive Ramadan, or maybe late Ramadan, I dunno...

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    What-The-Hell-Is-Kwanzaa-Card-Picture.jpg

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    I've been giving these out for 647 years.

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/jTwVhyOO1CU
    Preemptive Ramadan, or maybe late Ramadan, I dunno...

Well this year's started early June and next year's starts late May so... both!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options

In the original timeline the show presents,Homer is only maybe 32 They've aged him up a few times since which in turn created that terrible 90's lol episode

The youngest Homer could ever have been was 35. "The Way We Was" was 1992 and had Homer and Marge graduating in the class of 1974, 18 years prior, if Homer was on the younger end of a high school senior, he was 17.

Other episodes explicitly called him between 38 and 40 years old, but there's still at least a 7-year gap between high school and marriage if we assume that Marge being pregnant with Bart during the wedding is hard canon, so "That 90s Show" always had to happen.

The episode talking about how Homer and Marge got married did say they were dating for "a couple of years," but the number always had to be 7-12 years.

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    The characters have always stayed the same age while time moves forward. This means that the time that Homer and Marge graduate gets later and later every season. That 90s show was needed to "sync" the show with the past (that episode did suck though, although the songs were not bad). Pretty soon they will need to do another retcon showing them at college in the early naughties if they want to maintain this trend.

It is a shame that have not aged the charcaters a bit, Bart and Lisa pretty much act like teenagers already (seriously, how many relationships have they had) and there is so many more story opportunities they could mine.

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    This presumes that "lore" is so crucial to the series that "syncing" the timeline is "needed".

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    They don't do it to sync the lore, they do it to make a joke out of the whole thing.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Ah, I love the lazy Saturdays.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython