As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny] Rise of Iron: Logical Journey of the (Death) Zambonis.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    365+ gear from Banshee? I guess I'll need to take advantage of that!

Do the crucible test weapons make progress in private matches?

Arteen on
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Oh shit, guess I should be getting armsday packages again!

How far out should we be slow-walking into the forge? From the yellow entrance outside?

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    365+ gear from Banshee? I guess I'll need to take advantage of that!

Do the crucible test weapons make progress in private matches?

They do.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    It is amazing. Smokes for days and days. Plus graviton fortfit and keen scout and you become a monster. Wombos every 25 seconds.

• Options
    Commodore75Commodore75 gothenburg.seRegistered User regular
    hlprmnky wrote: »
    I'm off the list for tomorrow's PS4 blind run [...]

Oh! Oh! . . . Will it be streamed?

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote: »
    Oh shit, guess I should be getting armsday packages again!

How far out should we be slow-walking into the forge? From the yellow entrance outside?

I start as soon as you get to the first hallway past the big round entrance room.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Trials is finally back and I'm as excited as ever. I hope most of you are as well! Even if the lighthouse isn't a priority for some of you, now is a good time to jump in anyway. The bounties will surely offer some LL upgrades and there's a portion in the RoI book for card completions.

Last year I posted some general trials advice and now I'm shamelessly reposting that below. Some of that advice is outdated. The meta has shifted and fast Rez items are no longer a hard requirement. I hope to see some of you in there this weekend.

So Trials is starting and I've noticed a bit of a growing interest around here as far as seeing the lighthouse goes. I didn't participate in Y1, but I've seen it around 8 times in Y2, all with randos from lfg sites. I'm sure most of you are probably a bit tired of me posting when I make it to the lighthouse!

Anyway, I'd like to talk about my thoughts, experiences, opinions, and general ramblings on what I think is important for making a tryhard effort at seeing the lighthouse. These are strictly my opinions that may or may not be shared amongst you all, so take it however you will! I'll be talking about some super basic things, so I apologize in advance if I come off a bit patronizing.

The journey to the lighthouse is an arduous one for sure. Some runs are easier than others, but the path is typically frustrating, grueling, and unforgiving even with a full set of boons. That being said, the feeling you get when you wrap up that flawless run is god damn incredible. Your adrenaline pumps and 10 pounds of stress are dumped right off of your shoulders. I've said it here before, but I truly can't think of many other moments in video gaming as sweet as this one. The loot isn't super impressive other than a CB Doctrine, but you won't even fucking care. You made it. Yourself and your two fellow guardians.

First step. Get yourself right. Did you get enough sleep? Are you hungry? Does RL have you stressed? Do you have a nagging headache? Are there any external stressors in your playing area that will detract from your mood and ability to focus? Get it right. Take care of everything that you can possibly control.

Next, your teammates. Do you have a rapport with them? Are all of you buds who've been playing together for a while? Are two of them buds and you're the random third? Or perhaps all three of you are strangers. Being able to understand the strengths and weaknesses of yourself and your fellow guardians is important. The other half of that is applying what you know about yourself and your mates to your game. Depending on which scenario you're in changes how difficult or easy this is. Again, control what you can. Attempting to control your teammates is usually not a good path. Tread carefully with your criticisms and suggestions. Judge this based on who you're playing with and their demeanor. Some folks will gladly accept advice and criticism, others will get defensive and shut down regardless of how tactful you are. Fill in the gaps where you can. Never get mad or shitty with your teammates. Bad games will happen. Tossing blame around will help absolutely nothing. If you are subjected to shittiness, leave. Get a new card and a new team. No need in wasting your time.

Communication. Speak, talk about what you're doing and what's happening. Be clear and concise. Brevity is key. Each map has callouts that you can typically google up and give a quick study. With rotating maps this week, it'll be a bit tougher. Atleast have a general idea, ie points A, B, and C, Heavy spawn locations, points of interest, etc. Speak when you're dead as well. You still have vision. You can view your orb and the locations of your teammates as well as the outline of the guardian who killed you. Avoid tunnel vision. Unless he's the last standing, you need to be watchful of the other enemies still alive. Watch the backs of your fellow guardians. Ensure your voice is calm and your thoughts collected. Being at atleast a 2v3 disadvantage is stressful enough. Don't yell or speak in a panicked manner at your surviving mates. Your job is to assist them, not confuse them with your panicked information. Keep the complaints to a minimum. Yep, you got sniped through a wall or the lag switcher just ruined your shit. So what. Quickly vent your frustration and move on. Each round is a new round. Do not be discussing the previous round once the new one starts. Do what you gotta do, but ensure you crawl inside your head and hit that reset button once the new round starts.

Classes and subclasses. You should firmly understand the capabilities of every class and subclass. Or at the least, your own and a general working knowledge of everyone else. Play with what you are most comfortable with. Your brain works harder if you're trying to force a class you aren't intimate with. Exotics fall into this as well. Understand what extra abilities/augments you're working with or against.

Loadouts. Again, stick with what you are most comfortable with. The meta is what it is. But if you aren't strong with a MIDA, TLW, 1KYS, whatever, don't use em. I know the CT-D is better than the Chaperone, but the Chaperone is what I know. It will always sit in my slot because it gives ME the best results. I've got one hard rule for exotic armor. Two guardians absolutely need to be rocking their respective quick revive exotic. For those who don't know, you only need two for the benefits to apply to all three of you. This leaves one guardian free to use whatever they want. I highly recommend discussing this amongst yourselves prior to starting. I love rocking the spine for gunslingers so that I can litter the field with tripmines, but I'll toss on my alpha lupi in a heartbeat if needed. Fast revive will win rounds. Fast revive will also allow you to sprint over an orb and revive without having to stop.

Your enemy. Inspect their gear as you're flying in. Who is sniping and who is shotgunning? Who has an unconventional (Always be wary of folks wearing weird or seemingly weak shit) loadout? Do they have fast revive? Three sunsingers wearing voidfang vestments? Bladedancer with his quick super exotic chest? Get a quick idea of what you're up against. I do not recommend using trialsreport or guardian.gg. For those of you who don't know, this gives you all of their stats, ELO, and current streak. Sounds useful, but it's a quick way for you to get inside your own head and lose the match before it starts. Or you'll find yourself underestimating your opposition. Don't worry about that shit. They could be three strangers rocking a 2.5 K/D who don't mesh well together or three buds barely at 1.0 K/D who play together like a fucking hive mind. Not worth worrying about. You'll get a sense of your opponents worth after a round or two. Evaluate and adjust at that point, not at the moments before flying in.

Attitude. Do not play angry. Tunnel vision will take over and you'll tank your card well before hitting 9 wins. If you're too upset, angry from a shit game, or distracted emotionally, step away. Play another time. You're playing to win here. No excuses. Every death is a fair death. Learn what you can from your missteps or shortcomings in a round/match and move on. Take absolutely everything you can control and use it to win. Nothing is cheap, unfair, or bullshit. Play to win. I doubt I need to mention it, but I'm absolutely not talking about cheating or fucking with your connection for an advantage. You will see lagswitchers. Do what you can and report them when the match is over. Don't get bent out of shape over it. Getting to the lighthouse will more often than not take more than one card. You're gonna get beat down. Take your lumps and start over if you're willing. Again, if you're angry and not having a good time, take a break.

General tips and thoughts. If at any time you have the option to revive a guardian, you need to revive. Even if the last enemy is sitting at a tick of HP, revive revive revive. You could chase that low health guardian, but anything can happen once he gets into cover or turns a corner. Worst case both teams get fully revived and reset. Much better than potentially tossing away a round.

Make an effort to get comfortable engaging an enemy while reviving. This will require you to put your hand in an uncomfortable position, but it's useful.

If you're dead and close to being revived, the onus is on you to inform your fellow guardians if the enemy is waiting to rez snipe you. Revive pushing is an option in this case. Essentially, once your mate is revived, back up a tad while they have invincibility frames and slide into them as they become vulnerable. This will possibly avoid another death. Skilled snipers can still make the shot, so weigh your options carefully.

Don't challenge a sniper if you weren't there first. You survived that first peek? Great, find a new route.

Be mindful of your supers. Communicate your intentions. Don't self-revive into a bad situation. Wait until your self-revive would turn the tide. Every super has an audio cue that everyone can hear. Wait until things are a bit chaotic before triggering. Supers can be trivial to stop if they're expected well in advance. Keep track of what enemies have used their supers.

Do not engage an opponent in the open. You should be within a few feet of some sort of cover when you intend to fire. Have an escape route. Be mindful when you have the drop on someone. Assume they have a sensitivity of 10 and can immediately return fire

You running past a known sniper lane? Don't. Be sliding or jumping before you cross that threshold.

Get used to sliding. It's a quick burst of speed and lowers your profile. It can save your life. It ain't just for shotgunning. If you haven't been sprinting for long, you can hop right back into your sprint once your slide is complete.

Well, that's about all I can think of right now. Thanks for reading and hopefully some of you can find something useful here. I know it's a bit of a mouthful. I still struggle myself with some of these points. A lot of this is easier said than done.

Good luck this weekend, Guardians.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I dont even know who Banshee-44 is.

... I'm guessing its the Gunsmith? I have a rank up package on him, but didnt cash it in yet.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    ErevarErevar The Nounverber Registered User regular
    I swear I'm not possessed, but I want to run Trials this weekend. My RoI progress book requires 5 complete cards, and I could use the light upgrades from gear drops/bounties.

KkrouBB.png
    (Destiny) Doot Doot, Shoot Brutes for New Boots, Woot Woot for Rad Suits and Phat Loots
    Bogaerts wrote:
    I can't get off until Shad gives me permission.
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Kind of a disappointing Xur.

So, Thorn bounty. Is there any reason to prioritize it, considering I have a Y2 thorn? Either way I'm going to have to feed a thorn up, so it's just another little fun thing to do but not actually important, right? Or is there something special.

There was no year 2 thorn.

You have a year 1 thorn.

Oh. I guess I can't keep track of shit.

if you want to fill your record book, one of the entries is for doing 4 exotic quests. but even if you want to fill it, that doesn't mean you need to rush it.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I woke up sick as hell so I called in to work for the first time in years. I will be down for Trials all day, in between binging Luke Cage and purging last night's dinner.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    jjae2123 wrote: »
    It is amazing. Smokes for days and days. Plus graviton fortfit and keen scout and you become a monster. Wombos every 25 seconds.

That was the plan. With
    A small Possibility of going with the double melee arms instead of graviton if it let me do 3 smokes.

I could see a pair of triple smoke invis stalkers being a pretty nasty combo working together to keep invis up all day

616610-1.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I woke up sick as hell so I called in to work for the first time in years since the new Destiny content released. I will be down for Trials all day, in between binging Luke Cage and purging last night's dinner.

fixed that for you :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    In happier news, I got a faction rep package today with a class item declaring my allegiance to my very favorite faction "in" Destiny:

epc16hgx7ryc.jpg

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    I woke up sick as hell so I called in to work for the first time in years. I will be down for Trials all day, in between binging Luke Cage and purging last night's dinner.

I've got a raid tonight, but I can run some cards before and after.

Arteen on
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I am extremely hyped for Trials returns. Player base will actually be good again, and the new artifacts are great. I'm hoping a full armror Felwinters Titan can do work, and that I see Mercury again in the first month or so.
    Plus, new gear yes!

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    forge is so crazy now

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Forge is close to great. I wish the bosses were more like court bosses though instead of year 1 end of mission bosses

616610-1.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    Kind of a disappointing Xur.

So, Thorn bounty. Is there any reason to prioritize it, considering I have a Y2 thorn? Either way I'm going to have to feed a thorn up, so it's just another little fun thing to do but not actually important, right? Or is there something special.

There was no year 2 thorn.

You have a year 1 thorn.

Oh. I guess I can't keep track of shit.

if you want to fill your record book, one of the entries is for doing 4 exotic quests. but even if you want to fill it, that doesn't mean you need to rush it.

Yeah, I was 100% planning to complete it eventually. I just didn't know why I'd rush it because I was fairly certain there was a Y2 Thorn, which made it being an exotic quest weird.

But I guess I just mostly remember the ERA OF THORN, which felt like it was a year long.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Burned some more vaulted engrams from last night and spent some strange coins for synths.

A few more upgrades takes me to 364 with my artifact being the big thing holding me back (358)... pretty solid improvement for 24 hours :biggrin:

Also I think my most wanted feature is to be able to buy synths with a tap instead of a 17s hold.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It might be fun to do Trials practice in a private match to improve call outs, strategy, and what not. I don't like joining a team that routinely gets close to Lighthouse or goes there and losing in three or four rounds. A couple trips like that and next time my invitation will mysteriously go missing...

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Nah, you just need to find people like me who are mostly just there to complete bounties (and now the book) and would rather just have a few drinks and play and not get super serious about it. Unless the latest expansion brings in a LOT of new folks willing to try it out I don't think I'll ever have hope of doing really well in ToO.

• Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Faction rank-ups can include Ghost shells, right?

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    awsimo wrote: »

Yep

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2016

They can, but if my last 30-40 rank ups has anything to say, its rare.

So rare that I dont know what the fuck Bungie is thinking, Artifacts are even worse.

Should have made Archons Forge able to drop Ghosts and Artifacts up to 385.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, reading through grimoire stuff on Rasputin from this expansion got me thinking.

And then last night we were running the Nightfall, and I was really bothered by something. Sometimes Rasputin is presented as an omniscient god machine, sometimes he's a fucking worthless server farm. Now, maybe it's just bad writing, but there's actually a good in-lore explanation.

Rasputin the original Warmind was a cloud network of interconnected server farms and warsats all over the place. Sometime around the collapse, a bunch of those comms collapsed and Rasputin desynched. Now we've got a bunch of nodes and clusters operating independently. Also, I'd bet, one central warsat still connected to some serious rigs that outclasses most of the local nodes.

So, like, the Rasputin farm that you rescue in the nightfall which couldn't even protect his server room from the Fallen/Taken is just a local cluster. He's desynched from the more powerful structures, but can still communicate with the warsat, maybe even just using shortwave. But that major warsat above is either disinterested in talking to us, or doesn't have many methods to directly interact. So the local farm sends up a signal requesting that sat to drop for us, big Rasputin sends it down, and we go in and save the local cluster.

This would mean one of the primary motivators of Rasputin might be reconnecting what's currently a few independently operating, but united AI's back into one big mind.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    This would mean one of the primary motivators of Rasputin might be reconnecting what's currently a few independently operating, but united AI's back into one big mindMind.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    So whenever we receive a transmission from Rasputin for help he's just filing a Ticket.

We're his helpdesk.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »
    So whenever we receive a transmission from Rasputin for help he's just filing a Ticket.

We're his helpdesk.

does that mean next time we can just ask if he's turned it off and back on again?

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Nah, you just need to find people like me who are mostly just there to complete bounties (and now the book) and would rather just have a few drinks and play and not get super serious about it. Unless the latest expansion brings in a LOT of new folks willing to try it out I don't think I'll ever have hope of doing really well in ToO.

That said, we should definitely have Friday night 3v3s where we practice our drunken names for locations and come up with increasingly rude and absurd ways to express how we really feel about that guy that keeps sniping us from "over there".

EDIT: Tagging @Radiation for value.

metaghost on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited September 2016
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Entaru wrote: »

We're his helpdesk.

does that mean next time we can just ask if he's turned it off and back on again?

I'm sorry. You've reached the Vex Problem hotline.

I'm going to need to transfer you to the Fallen Problem Division. They are currently experiencing higher wait times than normal due to a high call volume. Please wait on the line for the next available Guardian.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    If you want to see what can drop for the armor, chroma, or weapon faction rewards, click Details (I think?) while hovering over each option. :)

PS. Motorboat Kitten: Thanks again for the run yesterday. I had raid boots waiting for me at the postmaster, so my total haul was 3 weapons, 3 pieces of armor, 1 artifact, and 2 exotics for my terrible jumping warlock! :P

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    squall99x wrote: »

Yep

Lies, all lies!

Something like 450 strange coins worth of heavy got me no ghost today.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    So @Brogey which warlock subclass did you end up running in the raid?

• Options
    cncaudata wrote: »

Yep

Lies, all lies!

I think I've gotten one of each vendor's ghosts. Diaspora Ghost is best ghost.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Trials map: Last Exit

I don't think I've even see this one yet. Fun

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    edited September 2016

Yep

Lies, all lies!

The irony is right after RoI dropped I ranked up and got a ghost twice in a row out of NM faction packages. Of course that was when they would come out at like 341 light. Haven't seen one out of a faction package since. Actually leveled mine up with random blue ghost drops.

Edit - Also got a 370 one from the raid last night ><

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Sirialis wrote: »
    So @Brogey which warlock subclass did you end up running in the raid?
    Stormcaller for everything up to Aksis, then switched to Voidwalker for both parts. I had middle section duty, so the burst damage was preferable to downing the Captain quickly while the main boss is blanketing the area with his cannon.

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    mosssnack wrote: »
    Trials map: Last Exit

I don't think I've even see this one yet. Fun

It's yuuuuuuuuuuge. An ab-so-lute-ly tremendous map.

• Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »

Yep

Lies, all lies!

I think I've gotten one of each vendor's ghosts. Diaspora Ghost is best ghost.

Why do you want me to hate you?

I have actually had good luck all around, I'm totally geared up, even have a T12 setup on my warlock that doesn't really sacrifice anything other than rocket ammo for perks. I am excited to settle in and play the hell out of this without having specific things to worry about anymore (it'd be nice if the last exotic quest would ever show up for me, though...).

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163