As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Westworld] has finally reached the centre of the maze

BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is MandatoryRegistered User regular
edited November 2022 in Debate and/or Discourse
Spoiler Policy: keep events from the most recently aired episode behind spoiler tags. (may be updated as necessary)

Westworld was a 1973 movie written by Michael Crichton, the Jurassic Park guy, except Westworld came 20 years earlier, and the dinosaurs were androids, although otherwise the plot remains the same in that they go wild and kill the visitors.

Now HBO has made a new Westworld, a 10 episode series created by Lisa Joy and her husband, Jonathan Nolan, co-writer on The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises, and creator of Person of Interest, a surprisingly thoughtful sci-fi series involving mass-surveilling AIs and crime-preventing vigilantes. They're joined by the producers J. J. Abrams and Bryan Burk, both of whom worked also worked on Person of Interest, as well as things like The Force Awakens, Mission Impossible films, Star Trek reboots, and several other beloved sci-fi series, such as Fringe. All in all, when it comes to writing a sci-fi thriller, it looks like we're in good hands.

HBO's Westworld surrounds the new theme park, again an expansive Wild West theme park populated by androids, gynoids, and... equoids? Robo-horses. Rather than the old nuts and bolts, the "Hosts" as they are called are lovingly 3d printed, shown in an opening credits sequence to rival that of Game of Thrones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elkHuRROPfk

Dolores Abernathy (Evan Rachel Wood), is one of the Hosts of Westworld, an idealistic painter living on a ranch outside of town; she is romantically pursued by Teddy Flood (James Marsden), a "newcomer" just arrived on the train into town.

QgZMHPUl.jpg

Hector Escaton (Rodrigo Santoro), the wanted leader of a group of bandits, guilty of murder, rape and grand robbery.

HL3x6b6l.jpg

He's accompanied by Armistice (Ingrid Bolsø Berdal), a spectacular sharpshooter.

Hsy033p.jpg

Hosts play out pre-set repeating 'storylines' inside Westworld, which actual human players, known as "Guests" can take part in, in whatever way they choose. And there is an emphasis on "whatever" way they choose, as shown by the Man in Black (Ed Harris), a sordid veteran player who has become morbidly fascinated with the reality behind the fiction, and bearing a remarkable resemblance to Yul Brynner's gunslinger of the original film.

79HSjaBl.jpg

Meanwhile, ostensibly in control, are the programmers, security forces, and heads of business of Westworld.

Dr Robert Ford (Athony Hopkins) and Bernard Lowe (Jeffrey Wright) are the remarkably well-dressed creators of the artificial intelligence imbued in the Hosts. They're responsible for keeping the Hosts seeming as realistic as possible, allowing them a certain amount of adaptability to emergent scenarios created by the guests, and holding them in line with Asimov's First Law of Robotics, all while trying to bust any ghosts in the machine.

K39RPMil.jpg

Theresa Cullen (Sidse Babett Knudsen) and Lee Sizemore (Simon Quarterman) are the respective operations leader and narrative designers, who oversee the entire operation and try to keep things moving smoothly and enjoyably.

jFrg5ZJl.jpg

With all that said, Westworld looks like a very interesting sci-fi thriller. One of the most obvious themes is the sensibility of violence and experiences in a surreal, fictionalised world, with Guests early on describing the pleasure of "going evil," a topic that has repeatedly come up in the sphere of video games that permit players to perpetrate terrible acts. The effects on the Hosts, so lifelike that the viewer buys into their fiction even within the fiction, is another obvious topic, along with the classic idea of artificial consciousness and its parallels with biological consciousness.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
Bethryn on

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    That first episode set a ridiculously high bar.

Possibly among the best first episodes of any show ever.

They have me to the end of this season at least, I just hope they can cash the awesome check they wrote last weekend.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    So one thing I was going to ask people's opinions on:

Did anyone else wonder if there was something else going on with the sub-levels? The area where they're storing the defective Hosts looks a lot like some sort of mall from an apocalyptic setting maybe? They did mention previous lives of the Hosts, but it was hard to tell if everything beforehand had been Western themed, or if other genres had been used. Given how (heh) no expense has been spared elsewhere, it was surprising to me how run down the sub-levels were.

It also made me wonder what the geography is supposed to be (especially as this ties into the Man in Black's map). Presumably the centre of operations is indeed somewhere in the middle of the Westworld 'park', meaning the Hosts essentially surround the staff. That seems likely to be fun when things do go to hell.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Bethryn wrote: »

Did anyone else wonder if there was something else going on with the sub-levels? The area where they're storing the defective Hosts looks a lot like some sort of mall from an apocalyptic setting maybe? They did mention previous lives of the Hosts, but it was hard to tell if everything beforehand had been Western themed, or if other genres had been used. Given how (heh) no expense has been spared elsewhere, it was surprising to me how run down the sub-levels were.

It also made me wonder what the geography is supposed to be (especially as this ties into the Man in Black's map). Presumably the centre of operations is indeed somewhere in the middle of the Westworld 'park', meaning the Hosts essentially surround the staff. That seems likely to be fun when things do go to hell.
    Someone on Reddit said that the room where they're storing the defective Hosts looks exactly like the old control room in the movie. So I'm guessing that implies that area was abandoned after the incident in the movie and they rebuilt their operations center in the new place we see now.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I was only half paying attention to this, since I am pretty leery of remakes at this point, when Ed Harris showed up.
    I was like, woah, are they going for the reveal this early with the bots start killing the humans? Then was very confused about what was actually going on. Going to have to re-watch it and actually pay attention this time.

• Options
    Edith_Bagot-DixEdith_Bagot-Dix Registered User regular

In the 1970s movie, there are two other "worlds" mentioned, Medieval World and Rome World. The infection that leads to the androids running amok actually starts in, IIRC, Medieval World, and the Black Knight there is the first android to kill a guest. There's a one off line in the show that there had been a previous incident 30 (?) years ago, perhaps indicating that there is some shared continuity. That's also the figure that Ed Harris/The Gunslinger cites for how long he's been coming to West World.

Also on Steam and PSN: twobadcats
  • Options
    ObiFett wrote: »

Someone on Reddit said that the room where they're storing the defective Hosts looks exactly like the old control room in the movie. So I'm guessing that implies that area was abandoned after the incident in the movie and they rebuilt their operations center in the new place we see now.
    Ah, this would make sense.

I spotted the reference to Unforgiven with the Guest getting his picture taken beside Hector's 'corpse'. Anybody spot any other ones I missed?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Guess who else is watching this fine HBO show?
    6IpTVSF.jpg

ChrysK of the funny Game of Thrones pictures is also doing Westwood now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

As ObiFett said...
    I think the implication is that those were originally management/touring areas for the facility not in the actual "world". The large sculpture in the open lobby in particular, and that it was all repurposed as an easy storage place.

But apparently the A/C is broken (and for all we know, it might be underneath a stream or something).

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    As someone who hasn't watched the movie, I thought this was great. But... as the guy who rips into the logic of movies because why not... QUESTIONS!
    First... don't they have backups of these guys before updates? Like... everyone is suppose to do that beforehand... so they can't just clean wipe and reupload them? It's like these guys are my grandma who needs me to tell her not to download stuff just because a pop up says to do so...

And Second... If they are printing this people, can't they just reprint the same people? Why did they get a different bot to play Dolores's dad?

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    As someone who hasn't watched the movie, I thought this was great. But... as the guy who rips into the logic of movies because why not... QUESTIONS!
    First... don't they have backups of these guys before updates? Like... everyone is suppose to do that beforehand... so they can't just clean wipe and reupload them? It's like these guys are my grandma who needs me to tell her not to download stuff just because a pop up says to do so...

And Second... If they are printing this people, can't they just reprint the same people? Why did they get a different bot to play Dolores's dad?
    They have the previous updates still on the host; Ford accesses the old version and the logic bomb has affected it. Dunno if their versioning process allows for total wipe/rewrite.

From the horse creation, it looks like everything is bespoke/handtailored. Probably for additional verisimilitude .

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Me and my buddy watching this, who are both nerddorks working in nerddork fields, can only groan that these folks must have the worst devops setup and practices ever.

Silly nitpickery aside though, one hell of an engrossing start.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    i enjoyed it

it has a lot of fun themes - not least how repetition renders tragedy meaningless, etc
    V-- repost of even cowgirls get the blues from other thread
    For Christmas that year, Julian gave Sissy a miniature Tyrolean village. The craftsmanship was remarkable.

There was a tiny cathedral whose stained-glass windows made fruit salad of sunlight. There was a plaza and ein Biergarten. The Biergarten got quite noisy on Saturday nights. There was a bakery that smelled always of hot bread and strudel. There was a town hall and a police station, with cutaway sections that revealed standard amounts of red tape and corruption. There were little Tyroleans in leather britches, intricately stitched, and, beneath the britches, genitalia of equally fine workmanship. There were ski shops and many other interesting things, including an orphanage. The orphanage was designed to catch fire and burn down every Christmas Eve. Orphans would dash into the snow with their nightgowns blazing. Terrible. Around the second week of January, a fire inspector would come and poke through the ruins, muttering, “If they had only listened to me, those children would be alive today.”

also did anybody notice thandie newton as one of the prostitutes

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016

I'm assuming the host hardware isn't cheap, which is probably why they don't have more than one version of a specific host. At least the hardware seems limited enough that they used hosts for multiple roles throughout its lifetime. And it looked liked they had a fairly good system to partition older versions and still access them. So it was relatively trivial (and useful since some of them had older roles stored) to roll a host back to an earlier version.

And you'll note they only rolled out the new software to 20% of the existing hosts so its not like they were completely careless with the new version.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    I actually wondered whether Thandie Newton's character is a Host or a Guest. She blows away two of the bandits, and none of the others seem to react to it. It might even fit the show's profile of Guests as mostly being 'deviant' in a sense if she was also in Westworld to get her rocks off.

• Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Watching the first episode right now. Great so far.

Finished.
    Great episode. I'm hooked, especially after the ending. At first I thought Hector's gang were guests because they were mowing people down and not getting hit at all. It was a good twist for the two guests who encountered the first glitched host to blow them away before the big speech. I'm ready and waiting for the new episode. For simplicity reasons I'm sure they won't touch on the other worlds from the original movie, but I'd be super interested in Medieval or Rome World. I would likely choose one of those two over West World in a universe in which they actually existed.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Zxerol wrote: »

Me and my buddy watching this, who are both nerddorks working in nerddork fields, can only groan that these folks must have the worst devops setup and practices ever.

Nerddork speculation:
    seems like they might have some kind of core/OS code + extensions, which have some sort version history available. Additionally, they say their memory is wiped each night, so i suspect data is partitioned maybe 3 ways: backstory, the day's active memory, and possibly some kind of archive/transaction log type thing which Ford tapped into for Reveries.
    Tl,dr: they're in DLL hell.

Also, the archive stuff should really be stored in a central server so they don't have to take robutt out and turn it on to ask WTF.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    HBO has episode 1 up on their site to watch for free. US only maybe, though?

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Options
    Zxerol wrote: »

This is like me and my colleagues in the Graduate History Department in Athens watching House of Cards and aggressively picking apart the terribleness of Frank Underwood's ideal for peace of the Middle East, or groaning about the implausibility of the Frank's Russian counterpart.

I know how you feel. Resist the urge, friend.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    So can I watch this if I never watched the other thing it's based on

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

Having never heard of the other thing until this started, you'll be fine.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I knew it was a book that I hadn't read, but I'd only experience the story through a demo for that old game Westworld 2000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=460_WpgfkuE

(Warning: it's pretty terrible.)

• Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

It would be pretty silly for them to make watching the show dependent on also seeing a movie from the 70s.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Good first episode. A little slow, and too heavy on the "tell, not show" aspect. It's a vacation world in a Western setting, show some Western stuff, dangit, and let us piece things together through observation instead of long speeches by Hannibal Lecter.

Story speculation:
    - The discussion of the "Judas Steer" will be significant. I strongly suspect that is Delores' role in the cast of Host androids.

- Ed Harris is the Man in Black from the original movie, has achieved sentience and is trying to find the Corporation's purpose behind running Westworld, which is why he tortures the gambler and sees significance in the maze-like pattern inside the gambler's skull.

- It is a common science fiction plot to have an inventor believe that humanity has reached its evolutionary dead-end and create a variety of constantly improving cyborgs to reach beyond mankind. Hopkins shows signs of this venerable old trope; is the Man in Black trying to uncover what Hopkins is up to ?

- Note the actor who plays the Abernathy robot. Omar, from LONGMIRE. I sure would like them to slide in an Omar reference.

Fairchild on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I knew it was a book that I hadn't read

Nope, not a book (there may have been some movie tie-in after the fact). It's weird how many people think it was originally a book. Michael Crichton wrote and directed the movie which was the original source, so I guess that's why?

But yeah, you don't need to have seen or know the original movie. The film is kinda fun in a 70s (very 70s) sci-fi movie way. Yul Brenner as a proto-Terminator is the best part.

Captain Tragedy on
  • Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    Small gripe about the OP

The first act of the first episode frames Cyclops McSupercuck as a guest instead of a host and its supposed to be a shock that he isn't when he runs face first into Mr. Fogarty. Sucks to give that away as fleeting as it is.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    While I also agree with the request (I watched the first episode blind so it didn't change anything for me), using that word you did in your description of him makes you sound ridiculous. Just a suggestion to avoid it in the future.

• Options
    RedTide wrote: »
    Small gripe about the OP
    The first act of the first episode frames Cyclops McSupercuck as a guest instead of a host and its supposed to be a shock that he isn't when he runs face first into Mr. Fogarty. Sucks to give that away as fleeting as it is.
    I have altered things a little to try and alleviate that.

• Options
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I knew it was a book that I hadn't read

Nope, not a book (there may have been some movie tie-in after the fact). It's weird how many people think it was originally a book. Michael Crichton wrote and directed the movie which was the original source, so I guess that's why?

But yeah, you don't need to have seen or know the original movie. The film is kinda fun in a 70s (very 70s) sci-fi movie way. Yul Brenner as a proto-Terminator is the best part.

Interesting--was not aware of that.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Wow, I had just complained to my friends about having no shows to watch, and then this came along. Really enjoyed the first episode. I was left with so many interesting questions that I'm just dying to see the next one. Definitely recommend.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    RE Westworld 2000 game trailer: I choose Samurai World over the others now.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I definitely liked it

I thought the dialog was a little clunky at points but I can forgive it (and I don't mean when it was supposed to be :D)

also, not the show's fault but I really hated what the preview gave away for what's coming up this season. something specific I was wondering about was just given away like nothing . booooooo.

edit - I was not clear on
    where/what the park is? and also the thing the people running it are watching on. is the park a lifesize park someewhere around that control center and they're looking at some sort of futuristic camerawork? at a point I thought they were shrinking people down or inserting them into some digital world but reading the thread I am realizing I probably went too far with that.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Really liked the episode and the acting, it's a very cool premise.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    I definitely liked it

I thought the dialog was a little clunky at points but I can forgive it (and I don't mean when it was supposed to be :D)

also, not the show's fault but I really hated what the preview gave away for what's coming up this season. something specific I was wondering about was just given away like nothing . booooooo.

edit - I was not clear on
    where/what the park is? and also the thing the people running it are watching on. is the park a lifesize park someewhere around that control center and they're looking at some sort of futuristic camerawork? at a point I thought they were shrinking people down or inserting them into some digital world but reading the thread I am realizing I probably went too far with that.

On the spoilered
    I thought the same on the whole shrinking thing, but I think it is build into one of the mesas at real size. Which would make sense with the storage place being sub level 83 or w/e the number was. And they just have some sort of 3d overhead camera or something.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Can't wait for episode two, damn.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Question RE: Guns
    Are people like physically in this world? Are the guns not real? When the robodudes get shot it seems like they would be real guns but that would be really silly. Then evil dude gets shot and he's all "you guys can't hurt me!" so he's either a roboperson or they aren't physicall there and that's what happens when a guest gets shot. I wasn't quite sure what direction that was supposed to be going. Robos being equipped with real guns if people are physically there doesn't make any sense so I'm not sure if I missed something or what.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    Are people like physically in this world? Are the guns not real? When the robodudes get shot it seems like they would be real guns but that would be really silly. Then evil dude gets shot and he's all "you guys can't hurt me!" so he's either a roboperson or they aren't physicall there and that's what happens when a guest gets shot. I wasn't quite sure what direction that was supposed to be going. Robos being equipped with real guns if people are physically there doesn't make any sense so I'm not sure if I missed something or what.
    It depends on if the environment responds to bullets also... it could be that the bullets are not bullets at all but rather some kind of soft dust-like projectile which communicates to the host bodies on impact that they need to fall apart. Maybe there are squibs threaded into their bodies that can just explode out when triggered by such a command.

But if these bullets are shattering glass and blowing wood apart that makes my theory far less likely; I need to watch the big shootout again

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    this is part of what led to my confusion about whether they were literally in a park or if it was some kind of digital thing. it seems that the visitors can't be hurt but they can use the guns from the world to hurt the hosts. BUT also killing the hosts doesn't actually destroy them... it's not like they need to produce a replacement every day because a given host gets its head blown off.

personally as much as I am wondering about it this is not at all the type of thing that will get in the way of my enjoyment even if it's never answered but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of magical-logic to it.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of it as magical bullets until told otherwise. The gun detects what it's aimed at when fired, and if it's a guest the bullet is set to automatically fragment harmlessly before impact.

Yes, this means we have both the tech to detect if we are aimed at a human and to create a bullet that is both effective normally but can also fragment effectively without still being dangerous as hell to the target. But then we have the tech to create sentient robots out of white goop, so.....

I'm going with it for now.

• Options
    Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    this is part of what led to my confusion about whether they were literally in a park or if it was some kind of digital thing. it seems that the visitors can't be hurt but they can use the guns from the world to hurt the hosts. BUT also killing the hosts doesn't actually destroy them... it's not like they need to produce a replacement every day because a given host gets its head blown off.

personally as much as I am wondering about it this is not at all the type of thing that will get in the way of my enjoyment even if it's never answered but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some sort of magical-logic to it.
    I think the bullets are real, to some extent. When the Man in Black gets shot, you see the bullets hit him, but it does no damage. It could be that everything, from the ground, wood, everything, is 3D printed with some sort of micro-explosives that respond to the "bullets"

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    If I recall the original movie had everybody firing blanks with squibs installed in hosts to mimic injury.

Either way, assume we're physically present in Westworld.