Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

I bring you hope. And also the [Star Wars] thread

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm not a fan of Jar Jar, at all. But having those gut on this for a bit, I have decided that his election to the Galactivlc Senate should be seen as the problem here. What the hell was Naboo thinking?

Binks was the precursor to Brexit and Trump. We should have seen all of this coming! George tried to want us!

PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Seeking writers; editors; developers; researchers; accountant; marketing; social media.
    PM me to join our grassroots political news organization today! We really are doing this folks!
    Torchlight Media. Citizens. Journalists.
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    How is Zima Star Wars related?

VcdvAHn.png?1
    Steaaaaaaam All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast. NEW EPISODE - EPISODE 24 - The Breed (Static Shock S01E03) - March 15th
    NaphtaliTransportersarukunSnowbearMatevdarunia106Mvrckfightinfilipinochrishallett83Slacker71ShadowenWeedLordVegetaMirroMidniteZonugalcursedkingDr. FlamingoRomanian My Escutcheon
  • TubeTube Administrator, ClubPA admin
    Let's all have zimas

timspork's ghostsarukunKanaGreasyKidsStuffFroThulhuMatevJoolanderdarunia106fightinfilipinoDarkPrimusBlankzillachrishallett83pablo_pricemanwiththemachinegunSlacker71ShadowenCurly_BraceFearghaillWeedLordVegetaDarth WaiterMirroMidniteRorshach KringleWeaverchiasaur11ElbasunuZonugalDr. FlamingoRomanian My EscutcheonPeen
  • Mr KhanMr Khan Piece of cake. HyruleRegistered User regular
    I'm not a fan of Jar Jar, at all. But having those gut on this for a bit, I have decided that his election to the Galactivlc Senate should be seen as the problem here. What the hell was Naboo thinking?

Binks was the precursor to Brexit and Trump. We should have seen all of this coming! George tried to want us!

I think he was just the representative for the Gungan minority, likely kicked upstairs by the Gungans themselves (since they knew he was a disaster but had that war hero heat from the Battle of Naboo), who became acting Senator when Padme was in hiding.

• CenoCeno wild zontars Registered User regular
    *looks out onto open field on home planet*

I found Padme.

PSN: Genesius_Prime
    SirEtchwarts
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    How is Zima Star Wars related?

4icmw.jpg TankHammer | 2zivq6q.jpg
    wBfb67T.png
    Shortychrishallett83Zonugal
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    The Day The Gungan Cried.

zaku.png
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    DOMINATORS

smacksigcopy-1.jpg
    Twitter Steam Playstation- Mechaphiliac
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    TankHammer wrote: »
    The only interesting thing you could do with Jar Jar imo is to redeem him. If you're not going to do that I wonder why anyone would bother bringing him up at all. It's not cathartic, it's just beating a dead horse and, as already acknowledged, super mean-spirited for really no reason.

Having him as a depressed, tortured clown who everyone openly hates kinda sucks. I want to see him trying to help the resistance movement, fighting for gungan civil rights or ending up in jail as a martyr to repent for his role in the rise of the Empire. Show him old with his color fading and his speech slowed and deepened with age so that he's lost most of those annoying verbal traits. That I could see actually being worth the time to read.

I will note that from the article, not everyone hates him. He does entertain the children. So it is on some level a meta-commentary on the Star Wars fan-base.

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    WiiU: munkusbeaver and Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    Twitter for health updates: https://twitter.com/MunkusBeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    GvzbgulmanwiththemachinegunSlacker71Commander ZoomsarukunShadowendarunia106Zonugal
  • pablo_pricepablo_price Registered User regular

I mean, these are the people that elected a 14 year old to be the ruler of their entire planet.

Steam / Xbox Live / Rock Band DLC / WoW: Allanna, Kolii
    SWTOR: Allanna (Shadowlands) / TSW: Sara-Luna
    MatevGvzbgulCentipede DamascusBlankzillaZonugalMvrck
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    edited February 18
    I am 99% certain that is my favourite dumb fact about Star Wars.

A 14 year old queen because the previous ruler died? Sure.
    A 14 year old queen that's elected as a figure head? Ok, sure.
    A 14 year old queen who is the literal queen and ruler of the planet? My mind boggles.
    The Naboo often elected young women, believing they possessed a form of pure, childlike wisdom that the adults lacked.
    Oh, right, they're nutjobs. That makes sense. Maybe they elected a Donald Trump one time and they collectively decided that a child could a better job.

Gvzbgul on
    150,000 people die every day.
    The only interesting thing you could do with Jar Jar imo is to redeem him. If you're not going to do that I wonder why anyone would bother bringing him up at all. It's not cathartic, it's just beating a dead horse and, as already acknowledged, super mean-spirited for really no reason.

Having him as a depressed, tortured clown who everyone openly hates kinda sucks. I want to see him trying to help the resistance movement, fighting for gungan civil rights or ending up in jail as a martyr to repent for his role in the rise of the Empire. Show him old with his color fading and his speech slowed and deepened with age so that he's lost most of those annoying verbal traits. That I could see actually being worth the time to read.

I will note that from the article, not everyone hates him. He does entertain the children. So it is on some level a meta-commentary on the Star Wars fan-base.

Of course it is. In the most hamfisted, overt possible way.

wBfb67T.png
    SixMidnitehonovereMatev
  • SixSix (Pecan St.) Registered User regular

Of course it is. In the most hamfisted, overt possible way.

Hamfisted is exactly the word that came to mind when I read about this.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon AXE COMMANDER Registered User regular
    the way i was reading that excerpt (before i hit the last sentence), i thought it was a clown playing him, like he was some kind of widely hated and mocked public figure

i think that would've worked better, if they were really so determined to back that bus up again

TankHammer
  • SixSix (Pecan St.) Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    the way i was reading that excerpt (before i hit the last sentence), i thought it was a clown playing him, like he was some kind of widely hated and mocked public figure

i think that would've worked better, if they were really so determined to back that bus up again

That would have made more sense.

Chewbacca never ages a day. It's amazing.

wBfb67T.png
    Slacker71Shadowensarukun
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Let's all have zimas

not everything auralnauts does hits, but this line slays me

I just can't get excited about this movie

I don't need any more info about Han Solo

I know all I need to know

bloodatonementSpazMuffinObiFettGustavKwoaruTransporter
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Whatever happened to the black female lead role they were casting for that movie?

Whatever happened to the black female lead role they were casting for that movie?
    Thandie Newton got it, presumably

VcdvAHn.png?1
    Steaaaaaaam All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast. NEW EPISODE - EPISODE 24 - The Breed (Static Shock S01E03) - March 15th
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Well that sucks.

Ceno wrote: »
    I just can't get excited about this movie

I don't need any more info about Han Solo

I know all I need to know

Yeah same. I wish this were just a Lando movie with Solo as a supporting role who comes in, does scoundrely stuff and leaves.

wBfb67T.png
    DouglasDanger
  • ZonugalZonugal Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    There's a Star Wars Humble Bundle right now
    Shadows of the Empire
    X-Wing Alliance
    SW Battlefront II
    Rogue Squadron
    ect ect

https://www.humblebundle.com/star-wars-3-bundle

I bought this three minutes before having to go pick up my kindergarten class (as it had like ten minutes left till it expired).

Pretty happy, pretty happy.

Andrew_WK_Sig.jpg
    See I don't think of the movie as "finally, I get a Han Solo origin story"

I'm looking at it as I am getting an awesome Star Wars heist story/comedy that stars a bunch of actors I like directed by two of the most talented dudes currently in Hollywood

The Han Solo part is secondary for me

VcdvAHn.png?1
    SirEtchwarts

timspork's ghostLadaiSlacker71ZonugalDarth WaiterDarkPrimusJoolander
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited February 21
    Ok so that's a different take from Auralnauts, and kinda boring, except for this great SFX when luke sees han:

EDIT: huh can't get this to go right, it's at 12:52

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?1
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    Fawst
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »
    Planning on seeing rogue one this weekend. I can do regular viewing or 3D. It wouldn't be any special 3D. So should I do 3D or nah?

I wouldn't think there was too much that 3D would add to

OK, so I went back to read comments people had from the first screenings, and I have to completely disagree with this.
    The shots of the Star Destroyers, any of them at all, were AMAZING in 3D. Specifically, the one coming towards the screen half-bathed in darkness was one of the coolest visuals I've seen in any Star Wars film. Also, the shot when the Star Destroyer comes out of hyperspace and crashes through a bunch of ships about to enter hyperspace was fucking awesome. Basically every single thing that had to do with space or a ship was enhanced by the 3D.
    On a personal note, when I was a little kid, I remember seeing a huge cloud low in the sky that was kind of shaped like a Star Destroyer. And I remember thinking "man, I would love to see someone do a Star Wars movie where there's a shot of a Star Destroyer just kind of hanging low in the sky, showing how massive it is." And then there was Rogue One. That one shot alone made me practically bounce in my chair.

Rogue One was amazing. I cannot wait for the Blu to hit.

PSN: Fawst0083
    FroThulhu
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I

I think I've discovered that I don't like heist narratives

This feels odd...

edited February 21
    Shouldn't everything be essentially 2d in space because of the large distances? Your eyes wouldn't be far apart enough to get different perspectives unless you were a giant. Which would make space seem tiny.

Gvzbgul on
    Solar wrote: »
    I

This feels odd...
    Heist stories might be my favorite genre, honestly

VcdvAHn.png?1
    webguy20SirEtchwartsDeadfall
    edited February 21
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Shouldn't everything be essentially 2d in space because of the large distances? Your eyes wouldn't be far apart enough to get different perspectives unless you were a giant. Which would make space seem tiny.

There's a great app called Starwalk that's kind of a cool basic astronomy tool. Shows where the stars are per your location, marks out constellations, planet locations, stuff like that. One of the niftiest things about it is that you can zoom in on a constellation and then rotate it in 3D, and realize that these stars that we've been drawing little lines between to help steer us around are all kinds of far away from each other on several different planes.

Ceno on
    DouglasDanger
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    I

This feels odd...
    Heist stories might be my favorite genre, honestly

It's the whole reason Fast Five is the best entry in the Fast and the Furious series.

wBfb67T.png
    Deadfall
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    This really isn't a heist narrative.

It's a find a mcguffin/dirty dozen narrative.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Oh right

Lawrence Kasdan wrote this dang movie, y'all

Maybe don't worry about it

6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Oh right

Lawrence Kasdan wrote this dang movie, y'all

Maybe don't worry about it

hmmm yeah I had forgotten that

I'm admittedly having a hard time with someone taking over that role, however talented and charismatic he may end up being

http://makingstarwars.net/2017/02/rumor-unaltered-original-star-wars-trilogy-re-released-year/

Rumors are heating up that the 40th anniversary panel at this year's Celebration will reveal an honest-to-god blu-ray set of original untouched OT.

I will believe it when I see it. Also I will cry and purchase it immediately.

UrielElaroDedwrekkadavidsdurionsFroThulhuSirEtchwartsA Dabble Of Theloniusdarunia106DarkPrimusAnialosZonugalShadowenTransporterFishmanSlacker71
  • Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    http://makingstarwars.net/2017/02/rumor-unaltered-original-star-wars-trilogy-re-released-year/

Rumors are heating up that the 40th anniversary panel at this year's Celebration will reveal an honest-to-god blu-ray set of original untouched OT.

I will believe it when I see it. Also I will cry and purchase it immediately.

It would also mean that the library of Congress would actually get a fucking copy of the stupid thing.

And I doubt that.

Mainly because I doubt any version of Episode IV to come out without the actual subtitle of Episode IV: A New Hope

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    WiiU: munkusbeaver and Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): 0619-4510-9772
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    Twitter for health updates: https://twitter.com/MunkusBeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    TankHammer
    I could believe a "digitally restored" original version a-la the despecialized edits but I'm not expecting we'll ever see the original theatrical cuts.

I'll be at Celebration, though. I'll post if I see anything worthwhile.

wBfb67T.png
  • SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts Visualize ExecuteRegistered User regular
    I kind of wish I could like, make my own cut

Because I want original scenes in some instances and special edition scenes in others

How rad would it be if they just like, sold a "make your own version" kit

TVT39do.png?2
    Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 4527-8947-6010
    PSN Username: SirEtchwarts
    TankHammerFroThulhu