As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is "Damn" a curse word?

YaYaYaYa Decent.Registered User regular
edited October 2016 in Social Entropy++
topic

YaYa on

Is "Damn" a curse word? 74 votes

FUCKIN' A
56%
NothingPMAversMunkus BeaverMulysaSemproniusMagic PinkNartwakagoajchromdomPeter EbelClint EastwoodBroloMadEddyvalhalla130XaquinStraightziCharmyMarathonsponoChicoBlueCentipede Damascus 42 votes
SHIT NAH
43%
A duck!SyphonBlueToxVyolynce-SPI-bowenPerrsunUnbrokenEvaTallahasseerielAphostileFAQZonugalOatsEndgodmodestimtokolosRorshach KringleDenadaLiiyajgeis 32 votes

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It hella is.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    FUCKIN' A
    It's not one with a lot of bite these days, but yeah, it is a curse.

The literal meaning is saying "god destroy or condemn this thing" which is as literal "curse" as you can get, in fact. And if you don't care about literal meaning, or don't really go for prescription in language, well, it's still a curse by way of how it's used. People exclaim "damn!" as a way to express a strong reaction to something, positively or negatively, in circumstances in which a curse would be employed, and it can often be substituted for other words more universally accepted as curses with no significant change in meaning. It's a curse of a lesser degree these days, without doubt, but a curse it is.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    remember when you watched the first TMNT movie and raph let out a bunch of damns and that was the most illest adult shit ever

i felt like a grown up yo

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    FUCKIN' A
    Yes. Literal curse, even.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    I have a twitter.
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    SHIT NAH
    Literally yes

But like literally no

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    FUCKIN' A
    it is the MOST curse word

but it is one of the LEAST cuss words

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    SHIT NAH
    Zxerol wrote: »
    remember when you watched the first TMNT movie and raph let out a bunch of damns and that was the most illest adult shit ever

i felt like a grown up yo

The exact example I thought of.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    SHIT NAH
    no

but goddamn is

don't be mean to jesus, dogg

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    FUCKIN' A
    I'd say it's totally a curse, but it's not vulgar like shits or fucks are.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    kiss my fanny

8406wWN.png
This discussion has been closed.