As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG]-Cataclysmic Gearhulk is Awful and I Hate It And You Should Too

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    With Era AND decoction you don.t even need to bounce. Era adds 2 and Decoction adds 1. So its one mana make a thopter forever. The weaver was just a bonus, but really.... even though my Opponent had Multiform Wonder AND Pummler (with FOURTEEN energy), it was just too much inevitability, especially once I started dropping Gearseekers for UU.
    ke0fjml4c5wn.png

Thats the deck. You can see how all in it is. Liek Im running White Puzzleknot and Pillarbug with no White or Black mana to help make everything sing.With so many artifacts I often didnt even need Decoction to make Era/Whirler go nuts.

Best part of is HOW it came together. P1P1 was Captured by Consulate, P1P2 was Eliminate the Compitition, P1P3 was Harnessed Lightning... and then I saw like a 4th or 5th pick Whirler Virtuoso and things snowballed from there. I felt good about not only abandoning my first pick, but my first two.... something Im generally bad at knowing when to do.

Well, they did have to bounce once energy was under 3, because they don't cost 1, they cost 3 but then make 3 energy, but if you don't have the base 3, you gotta refill it ( I forget what happened to get energy below , think maybe they energy bolted something, but ya they only ever bounced when under 3 energy)

I've also had to face turn 1,2,3 modules combo, that shit is rough!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    Holy crap what happened to Metallurgic Summonings.

I ordered it for my commander decks twice by accident and then went to sell it today and it's up to $20.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    seems like a buyout?

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I just bought three copies of that for $2 the other day.

It's me - the Master of Magic Finance!

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Metallurgic Summonings has no ceiling on usefulness. It rewards you for doing a thing a lot of control decks want to do anyway - cast spells, and then it rewards you by fucking rebuying every spell you've cast. The card may do nothing when it comes into play, but it is tremendously powerful.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    Holy crap what happened to Metallurgic Summonings.

I ordered it for my commander decks twice by accident and then went to sell it today and it's up to $20.

It's a legit component in turbo turns temur that just smooths out so many problems and allows you to filter Part the Waterveil away and pick it up later. Legit standard hypercombo deck.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    hmmm I think I actually opened a paper one of those and thought it was a trash mythic

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »
    hmmm I think I actually opened a paper one of those and thought it was a trash mythic

It's kinda trash in Limited.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    in today's mtg story, the showdown with tezzeret

but also, a random throwaway line about vraska
    "I reached out when I saw Vraska's planeswalk."
    Jace was deeply un-thrilled to hear the gorgon's name.
    "She left Ravnica," Ral thought, "with no destination."
    "No destination?"
    "She didn't planeswalk to a plane. Only from one."
    "That doesn't make sense."
    "Exactly."

you can't tell me that's not foreshadowing

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    in today's mtg story, the showdown with tezzeret

but also, a random throwaway line about vraska
    "I reached out when I saw Vraska's planeswalk."
    Jace was deeply un-thrilled to hear the gorgon's name.
    "She left Ravnica," Ral thought, "with no destination."
    "No destination?"
    "She didn't planeswalk to a plane. Only from one."
    "That doesn't make sense."
    "Exactly."

you can't tell me that's not foreshadowing

How long before we get the Legion of Doom equivalent to the Gatewatch's Justice League?

Well, besides the Syndicate. (EDIT: Consortium? Whatever the group where Jace and Lili met Tezz was called.)

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Who's on Team Evil? Bolas is Cobra Commander, Vraska and Tezz are his lackeys... but who are the other evil PWs? Is Ashiok evil or just super goth and into spooky things?

• Options
    Ashiok is Ashiok. They mostly like terrifying people with stuff taken directly from their own head.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    yeah, from what little we know about Ashiok, I don't see them under Bolas's banner; they very much seems like someone with their own agenda.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    I liked that tezzeret's robits in the artwork looked like salvage titan

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Ashiok is presented as amoral but not...malevolent? The kind of scientist who dissects a living specimen to collect data, not because they're a creepy nazi scientist who loves watching pain. No qualms about using "evil" tactics and as such perceived as evil, but not necessarily a cackling heel.

In terms of presently mostly evil planeswalkers we have:
    Garruk
    Ob Nix
    Tibalt
    Dovin Baan
    Sorin
    Nahiri
    Ugin
    Xenagos' Corpse
    Vraska
    Tezz
    Ramaz
    Sarkhan

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Well the traditional problem with powerful villains is the ego thing. Someone like, say, Ob Nixilis is just as likely to team with Bolas as he is to stab him in the back for his own gains.

Usually what you need to do is assemble enemies with grudges against the heroes. Vraska/Jace, Dovin/Chandra (depending on how Aether Revolt plays out, although having a couple villains not be black-aligned would be nice), Ob Nixilis/Nissa, Garruk/Liliana, etc.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Sorin, Nahiri and Sarkhan aren't exactly evil. Sorin's selfish, Nahiri's probably been damaged badly from her time in the Helvault and Sorin's casual, non-malevolent betrayal, and Sarkhan never struck me as evil, just a totes dragon fanboy that did what Bolas wanted and now sorta regrets the hell out of it?

Dovin's less evil, he's the epitome of Lawful Neutral. He's just there to protect Kaladesh and the establishment. There's no real malice there?

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    sorin is a psychotic misogynist who permanently alters entire planar ecosystems by introducing vampirism to them
    nahiri is absolutely psychologically unwell but is also the planeswalker embodiment of cosmic horror, not because she summoned emrakul but because she will calmly come from another world and manipulate your world's inhabitants into their own destruction
    dovin is a key figure in a fascist dictatorship
    sarkhan murdered time because he wanted to fuck a dragon

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    The Kaladesh story has been super fun so far. Genre fiction it may be, but it's really earnest and enjoyable.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I thought Garruk was largely "cured" of his malevolence and that's how Ob Nix got his groove back?

And who the fuck is Ramaz?

• Options
    Garruk wasn't cured, he just had a hedron jammed into his body that would stop him from transforming into a demon, but not undo what had happened. After that story beat, Garruk proceeded to decapitate a planeswalker for sport.

Ramaz is a henchman of Bolas from Duels of the Planeswalkers, who manipulated Chandra into taking the steps that resulted in Rise of the Eldrazi. You fought him at Kaldheim.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Pretty sure that Nahiri just coaxed Emrakul to Innistrad, and Emrakul did all the weird mental warping. And honestly, I understand completely where Nahiri's coming from. It's a revenge thing, and while that isn't RIGHT, it's not like she just decided to go destroy a random plane one day.

Sarkhan changed time, and saved Ugin, which I'm sure is a net positive, though Ugin comes across as an arrogant prick.

Gotta read more of Sorin's background. He's selfish, dedicated to Innistrad, and tried to preserve the plane with the Avacyn creation. And while he has made and left vampires on Tarkir, I don't think they thrived or took over the ecosystem or anything. The vampires on Zendikar are waaaaay more worrying though, it's true. (Was that Sorin?) Okay, Sorin's a dick for screwing Zendikar over massively without really having any reason other than 'Zendikar's not Innistrad'. Is he specifically dismissive of women, or is it more Anyone That's Not Sorin? (Bear in mind I've not grew up with this, I only started playing around Origins.)

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

wait what

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    i mean i was rooting for nahiri but that doesn't make her not Evil

sarkhan turned everyone he ever knew from his world into a slave race

sorin has only ever shown respect and deference to men and constantly aggressively talks down to women he meets even when they're in positions of equivalent power to him like Liliana, Nahiri, and Olivia, along with making his realm protector a Hot Goth Who Looks Vaguely Like His Ward

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

wait what

He got mind-controlled by Bolas for a while because he wanted to be best pals with a dragondude, then he went a little bit mentally unstable as a result of the mind control (I think?), then later on he changed time and the world of Tarkir so that Bolas didn't kill Ugin, Dragons on Tarkir never died out, and now the Dragonlords rule rather than the Clans. (Hence Khans of Tarkir into Fate Reforged into Dragons of Tarkir)

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    sarkhan's madness was from Ugin haunting him

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    so is ugin dead or not

I thought he was dead but that storyline suggests sarkhan stopped that murder

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    so is ugin dead or not

Yeah he's alive. He showed up more than a bit in battle for zendikar.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    KlendyKlendy Goomy GoomyGoomyRegistered User regular
    ugin is alive, he and jace talked about the eldrazi during BFZ -- see Ugin's Insight

goomyisall400.jpg

• Options
    so is ugin dead or not

Nicol Bolas still won the fight, but instead of Ugin dying from the final wound, Sarkhan helped him hibernate inside a bunch of hedrons until Dragons of Tarkir.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Sarkhan saved an entire race from extinction as a consequence of being driven crazy

Has Nahiri been in anything since she tied sorin to the tracks and ran off like snidely whiplash

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Sorin is a piece of shit

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    an entire race of tyrant murderers

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Right yes the dragons are bad people

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Sorin is a piece of shit

Not disagreeing, just wondering what all else he did. All I was aware of was:

Protect the multiverse from cosmic horrors alongside Nahiri and Ugin (good, but because he wanted to save his own skin)
    Leave some vampires on Zendikar because why not let's see what happens (bad)
    Protect Innistrad from vampire predation via Avacyn (...good?)
    Fuck up and stash all his trash in the Helvault, including Avacyn accidentally, and also block out any extra-planar communication 'accidentally' (bad)
    Trap Nahiri in the Helvault 'cause she called him out on his bullshit (baaaaaaaaaaad)
    Wander to Tarkir and lie through his teeth to Ugin about where Nahiri is when asked directly (baaaaaaaad)
    Leave some vampires on Tarkir because he couldn't be bothered to read a map (baaaaaaaad)

Yeah, actually. Sorin's a piece of shit, selfish as hell as opposed to directly malicious, but that doesn't excuse a thing.

What other bad things has he done? I HUNGER FOR DIRT ON VAMP MAN.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    technically he didn't protect innistrad from vampire predation, he protected it from vampire overfeeding

he wants humans to remains a cattle food source because it's necessary for vampires to survive, avacyn's creation was to be the farmer who ensures the cattle remain

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I guess the only good thing you can say about Sorin is that he hates waste, and doesn't like the whole Vampire tendency to find joy in the kill and hunt for the sake of hunting because he's a miserable dick that doesn't want anyone to enjoy themselves ever.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    also the entire reason vampires even exist on innistrad is because of the Markov family so fuck 'em

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Well yeah, but that wasn't Sorin SPECIFICALLY. That was Daddy Markhov.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    garruk seems like he could conceivably wind up in bolas' corner and then have a climactic change of heart

f2ojmwh3geue.png
This discussion has been closed.