As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Paladins] - More than Overwatch on a budget, but a fun game in itself!

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
edited October 2016 in Games and Technology
l39tujstm88b.png
Paladins
https://www.paladins.com
Also available on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/444090/
Free-to-Play, in Open Beta - $20 to unlock all present, past and future characters.

Paladins is a 5v5 competitive Objective-based FPS developed by Hi-Rez Studio, makers of SMITE (The third-person God MOBA) and Tribes: Ascend (The skiing and grenades competitive arena FPS). Let's get this out of the way: Paladins: Champions of the Realm is not an FPS MOBA. it has MOBA elements, but it's not a MOBA. It sits in the spectrum between Overwatch (Very class-based FPS with tiny moba elements) and Battleborn (FPS MOBA). It's rooted in a colorful Sci-Fantasy universe that blends magic and technology (Maybe it's all technology and it's in the very far future, whoa!), Each of the Champions has a unique weapon and skillset, including an Ultimate ability. Also, to add a layer of depth, each character has 16 cards they can use in battle. Cards are all passive buffs that actually change how your champion will play. Each loadout consists of 5 different cards at different levels of power.

1vwansidcz27.png
Paladins creator, John Videogames, pitching the game to Hi-Rez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7l4jYEClC4
Paladins Gameplay Tutorial: Damage Class!

Playing Paladins! Helpful Info!
  • You need to hit level 5 before you can do PVP. Before then, going in a casual matchmade game will match you against bots.
  • Level 5 unlocks the second game mode, Payload!
  • Every time you level up your account, you get a free Radiant Chest!
  • You can purchase Crystals and use them to buy skins or Radiant chests!
  • Champions currently all cost either 5000 Gold or 200 Crystals
  • Everyone starts with the following champions unlocked: Cassie, Drogoz, Fernando, Kinessa, Pip, Viktor, Skye and Ying.
  • This game features card loadouts, but also ITEMS! don't forget to buy items when you die!
  • This game is Free to Play, but you can purchase a "Founder's Pack" during the beta. Doing so will unlock all champions, current and future, forever. it also bestows a unique mount, a unique skin for Fernando and 20 Radiant Chests (about $16 value just for the chests)

Add yourself to the list o' players here!

Current roster
Frontline Champions
BbTMprH.png
Basically the Fungineer character. He's a tanky dwarf who places turrets, among other things. He can place up to two turrets that deploy rapidly and don't deal that much damage. However, enemies hit by turrets will be marked and when you shoot them (and only you), It'll consume the mark for extra damage.

urRNMrh.png
Basically the Tanky tank that tanks tankily character. He's a suave spaniard with a flamethrower. He can charge, he can shoot a long-range fireball and he can make the entire team unkillable for a short while with his Ult. His most useful ability, however, is to deploy a shield in front of him and move with it.

hj022jH.png
Basically the minigun mech character. He's a literal gremlin piloting a mech. He's got miniguns, he can shield himself and allies and jet forward. His ult is more dakka!

H8g4xFP.png
Basically the Super Tanky brawler character. He's a turtle that has a high damage cannon and a hook ability. Also he can create a shield around himself and spin about to knock people around. His ultimate makes him swing his anchor and get super tanky.

Damage Champions
X0uEmwa.png
Basically the limber, agile archer character. She has a bow and can use knockback arrows, shoot explosives, has a dodge roll and can reveal the enemy team with her ult.!

QwpLdsR.png
Basically the Sniper character. She's got a big gun, she can charge up shots, place up to two mines that slow down enemies and teleport away. Her ult allows her to deal extra damage with upper body hits and to shoot without using ammo.

skShjDF.png
Basically the rocket spam character. He can fly, he can hover, he shoots rockets and he can stuff all his rockets to fire them in a single burst. Also, he can shoot an orb that, when he shoots, will cause a huge explosion. His ult allows him to instakill one enemy if he can punch them.

bxCQEOl.png
Basically the Demoman character. He shoots sticky bombs, can place down remote bombs, throw a giant stunning bomb and turn into a bomb himself.

fc0IafB.png
Basically the CoD-y soldier man. He has an assault rifle that he can aim down the sights of, he can throw grenades, and sprint. His ult allows him to call down artillery on areas. very dangerous.

Support Champions
LQeYn1w.png
Basically.... a unique character, actually. A composite of a grenadier and a healer! He shoots explosive bottles, he can shoot more explosive ones OR healing ones when off cooldown. Also, he can activate an ability to jump higher. His ult is to turn enemies in an area into harmless chickens temporarily.

we6QBYK.png
Basically the shaman ghostbuster ghostman character. His staff shoots lighting, he can shoot a bouncing electric ball, place down healing totems and turn into an invincible ghost shortly. His ult summons a storm around himself that damages enemies and heals allies.

MIUPsnH.png
Basically the Groot Character. He throws axes, can cripple enemies with a thrown axe, heals allies passively and can use a grappling vine to move quickly. His ult is a massive AOE Heal aura.

I4xGiPs.png
Basically the Mysterious enchantress character. She fires continuous beams from her mirror and can create illusions around her. Illusions heal allies and can be turned into ambulatory homing bombs. Also, Ying can swap places with illusions. Her ult heals all allies with prisms that stick around until broken.

Flank Champions
tyIt73k.png
Basically the Femme Fatale Assassin character. She has a wrist crossbow that can shoot regular or poisoned bolts. She can become invisible and deploy smoke screens. Her ult is a sticky time bomb that has the added effect of instantly destroying shields.

YmJtRwh.png
Basically the Witch character. Evie has an ice staff that shoots exploding blasts of cold. She can become briefly invincible and rooted, with the added effect of slowing and marking enemies around her. Marked enemies take more damage from her normal attacks. She can blink, fly and her ult is a massive snow storm.

q7bfRXw.png
Basically the shotgun-toting monk character. He has a shotgun, can shoot a net, self-heal and jump. His ult resets his cooldowns and makes him deal double damage.

BteEoSY.png
Basically the Grimdark evil cowboy character. Androxus has a revolver that deals high damage. He can shot 3 quick shots, doing extra damage if they all hit, dash and absorb all shots from the front before converting that damage into a projectile. His ult makes him fly around and allows him to shoot 4 explosive rounds.

Game Modes
There are two different game modes available: Siege (which is what you'll play until you hit level 5) and Payload.

Siege: Both teams attack a central control point simultaneously to spawn a payload, then push the payload into the opponent's base. Winning the control point nets your team 1 point, getting the payload to the opponent's base gets you 1 point, preventing the opponents from getting the payload to your base gives you a point. First team to 4 wins. Items are not reset between rounds nor are Ults reset.

Payload: One team attacks, one team defends, then the teams switch. Attacking team has to push a payload from their base as far and as fast as possible towards the enemy base. After the timer rings or the payload reaches its destination, teams have their items reset and switch sides. Then, they have to either bring the payload further OR bring it to the end faster than the opposing team did.

The Card System
The hook to Paladins is the card system.
Every character has a set of 16 cards. by default, players own 5 basic cards for each champion, but chests allow you to get more cards.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r76FUzirLx8

Important note: the Card system has been overhauled since. Now cards no longer have rarity. All cards are equally common and can be powered up as if you had the rarer versions.

21stCentury on

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Barik es #1.

He's actually interesting, since unlike most engineer-style characters he wants to be out front leading the assault. While rolling some life steal and smart turret locations he can really stay in the thick of things. The turrets don't really have a lot of health, so if he needs to keep one alive longer he'll probably end up burning his barrier on it to absorb incoming fire.

I actually forget his ult exists a lot, since I'm so busy dropping turrets and clearing zones so people can advance. He drops a flamethrower turret on himself that'll attack all enemies around it in a dome. Good if you need to hold a area (like the point on Siege), or just to need to clear some jerks off the cart.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Played a couple of games of this with @21stCentury and had good fun wrecking bots.

:+1:

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Barik es #1.

He's actually interesting, since unlike most engineer-style characters he wants to be out front leading the assault. While rolling some life steal and smart turret locations he can really stay in the thick of things. The turrets don't really have a lot of health, so if he needs to keep one alive longer he'll probably end up burning his barrier on it to absorb incoming fire.

I actually forget his ult exists a lot, since I'm so busy dropping turrets and clearing zones so people can advance. He drops a flamethrower turret on himself that'll attack all enemies around it in a dome. Good if you need to hold a area (like the point on Siege), or just to need to clear some jerks off the cart.

i really like Barik.

After winning, like, 6 games on Payload maps, i discovered i needed to get the wins on Siege maps because only those games are recorded.... Now By my count, i have 5 wins with Barik.... hopefully it'll register soon. i want my Engineer skin, dangnabbit!

• Options
    I know it took some time for the Barik skin to show up. Dunno if their servers were just getting hammered or if it was a glitch or what.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I know it took some time for the Barik skin to show up. Dunno if their servers were just getting hammered or if it was a glitch or what.

well, hopefully it shows up... that skin is great.

In the means time, i think i'll switch to using different champs now. i still don't regret the founder's pack.

• Options
    Ended up getting the Engineer Skin with no fanfare.

it's rad. The new gun is so cool.

But it's annoying that the skin is an all-or-nothing one even though it has "parts". i'd love to mix and match for uniqueness.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I signed up for the XBone beta after watching Jim Sterling play this. It looks really fun! I can see where the Overwatch comparisons come from in regards to some of the character abilities, but this is a genre now and OW isn't even the first game in said genre. Whatever, though! Seems like a lot of the criticisms have calmed down now that people see it's a pretty fun game. I had tons of fun with Smite, and I like Hi-Rez, so I'm pretty sure that I will be buying a founder's pack as soon as I can on XBone.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    So I was playing this game on PC over the weekend. I don't know if it's the matchmaking or what, but I have been playing as Viktor pretty much exclusively and I have been getting top damage and kills and streaks on my team by like two or three times the other players. Last game the rest of both teams averaged like 30-40k and I had like 120k damage.

Am I playing against console people? or is it just really bad matchmaking?

I am a Call of Duty 4, Battlefield 3/4, TF2, Planetside, vet with lots of time in those games -- so i am pretty decent at shooters in general, but it just seemed very 'off.'

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Viktor is pretty great.

So i'm at the point where I have to ask the best way to actually figure out what all the weapons and powers of the various characters actually do. I honestly don't know overwatch well enough to immediately be able to say, "Oh, this guy is X" except for Drogoz and Viktor. I tried a flank character and was completely oblivious to what I was supposed to be doing and how. Should I be playing practice matches? I'm used to the overwatch screens that basically tell you what to do.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    MagicPrime wrote: »
    So I was playing this game on PC over the weekend. I don't know if it's the matchmaking or what, but I have been playing as Viktor pretty much exclusively and I have been getting top damage and kills and streaks on my team by like two or three times the other players. Last game the rest of both teams averaged like 30-40k and I had like 120k damage.

Am I playing against console people? or is it just really bad matchmaking?

I am a Call of Duty 4, Battlefield 3/4, TF2, Planetside, vet with lots of time in those games -- so i am pretty decent at shooters in general, but it just seemed very 'off.'

i'm gonna guess a combo of matchmaking and your own skill level being higher than expected by the game.

Console beta isn't on yet, after all.

• Options
    New patch! New character!

https://www.paladins.com/open-beta-35-patch-notes-feast-of-the-serpent/

nBTic3o.jpg

New Champion: Mal’Damba, Wekono’s Chosen

Weapon [LMB] – Spitting Cobra
    Fires as glob of venom every .55s dealing 450 damage to a single target.
    Bonus Damage: Reloading throws the cobra dealing up to 550 based on how much ammo is missing and stunning enemies for 1s.

Secondary Fire [RMB] – Mending Spirits
    Summon a spirit to enchant an ally healing 280 Health every second for 5 seconds.

Ability [Q] – Gourd
    Toss a gourd full of venom that heals allies for 200 Health every second and damages enemies for 100 Damage every second.

Ability [F] – Slither
    Quickly slither forward, becoming untargetable for the duration.

Ultimate [E] – Dread Serpent
    Fire a dark vessel that explodes when it lands, fearing all enemy Champions for 2s and causing them to take 20% additional damage from all sources for the duration

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Skye

Time Bomb
    Better HUD indicator warning for skye ult
    Damage now falls off the further you are away from the Time Bomb’s center.
    “Time Bomb is an ability intended to create area control and spread out groups, but it was too effectively punishing players who were correctly reacting to the bomb and spreading out. The goal of these changes is to make sure Time Bomb is still a powerful tool for splitting up groups, but it’s not as good at picking up kills on players who are moving away from it.”

Ah, that's a good nerf.

The range on Time Bomb was insane. i don't think i ever managed to outrun it and survive as anyone but Ruckus.

Also, Thanks for posting that, PMA! i'll add Mal'Damba to the OP tonight.

• Options
    Hot damn, Snake guy sounds rad!

Hurry up already, XBone beta...!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Yeah, turns out he's pretty rad. His right-click heal takes some getting used to, since it's not a lock-on beam or anything, it's like a healing railgun that's on a 4sish cooldown. The HoT is actually super handy to keep someone alive. There's a few cards in the basic loadout that are worth mentioning on this, like there's one that shaves the cooldown off on the heal by up to almost half if you miss with it, since it does NOT lock on. You've actually gotta hit the friendly target.

I think his cobra-gun feels kinda like a bio-rifle from UT, but doesn't stick to the terrain/explode. The Tediore-toss on it takes a few seconds while he does the "reloading" animation before it gets chucked, though.

His Q poison pot is actually pretty sweet. Actually hits pretty hard, and pretty great from breaking up a push on the cart. There's actually a interesting loadout card for this that generates 1-4 ammo for your gun when you use it.

The only thing I havn't used a whole lot of is his ult, since it feels incredibly long to charge, and if you whiff it (since it's a projectile) you don't really get anything.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owWM0mCh78E

TotalBiscuit talking about how Paladins is good and not a rip-off.

• Options
    Got this new laptop and decided to see if it could run this. Just barely misses the recommendeds for CPU and Video card, so I gave it a whirl. Runs pretty good! :D Cassie is my jam right now. Played a few matches and knew I wanted to drop $20 on a founder's pack, so I did.

Is casual mode always VS bots? I'm ok with this for now, since I can work on some characters, and then try out Competitive if I want to play against real people. Also, wish I could swap out cards in the basic card hands. I've got some good stuff for Cassie, but not enough to equal 12 points in a custom hand.

Not sure what good gold is now that I own all the champions, though. Everything in the store is radiant chest, or premium money only.

• Options
    Ah I see... they kinda just rip the bot mode away from you and toss human players at you whether you're ready or not...

Still having a fun time, but I'm kinda sad there's no permanent vs AI mode =/

• Options
    JombalayaJombalaya Registered User regular
    I appreciate the customization options that this game offers. Gameplay can change dramatically based on what cards you choose, how you modify those cards, and what in-match skills you buy. You can really make a character your own by changing it to fit your play style. That said, who has the Fernando tech? I was thinking of taking the cards that give buffs from landing fireballs, and maybe the ammo usage reduction for the flamethrower for Maximum Inferno Action...

• Options
    Man... Kinda stopped playing this on my laptop, but picked up a founder's pack on PS4 since it was on sale for $11. Finally installed last night, and was happy to see a new dedicated PvE mode. Except it sucks... like really bad :(

PvP is awful because nobody plays the objective, and you sit in the queue for over a minute sometimes because not that many people are playing on PS4 I guess. Why is Hi-Rez so adverse to the idea of just letting me create a custom game to play solo against bots? I don't even need to earn gold/XP, I just want to play around with the characters and have fun.

I am really digging the new characters though. Tyra(I think is her name?), that hunter lady with the assault rifle is pretty awesome.

• Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing it on the Xbox? I'm honestly having fun with it. A bit of Overwatch with a dash of Smite Items for builds based off matches.

One thing though I don't understand. Why is it some ultimates don't seem to overpowered. But that ninja chick with the wrist blaster gets a god damn nuke. Get relatively close. Hit Y. Laugh as no one as time to get to safe distance.

Well that and when do we expect to start seeing the super awesome costumes that Smite had.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2017
    This game has its hooks in me. I'm surprised more people aren't playing this, especially since its F2P

My main problem with Overwatch was the lack of hero power customization and that players could switch heroes mid match. It turned me off that it was just an arena shooter with zero pre or mid game upgrade choices. Paladins letting me have 6 different pre-game loadouts per character combined with mid-game choices that let me counter the enemy team or increase my strengths is exactly what I want. My perfect game would be the polish/quality of Overwatch plus the mechanics of Paladins played out on the maps (creeps/towers) of Battleborn. The fun comes from the mechanics, though, so its Paladins that has cornered my playing time right now.

If anyone is playing this on Xbox One, send me a friend invite. I've been playing it almost nightly. Evie is my jam.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This game has its hooks in me. I'm surprised more people aren't playing this, especially since its F2P

My main problem with Overwatch was the lack of hero power customization and that players could switch heroes mid match. It turned me off that it was just an arena shooter with zero pre or mid game upgrade choices. Paladins letting me have 6 different pre-game loadouts per character combined with mid-game choices that let me counter the enemy team or increase my strengths is exactly what I want. My perfect game would be the polish/quality of Overwatch plus the mechanics of Paladins played out on the maps (creeps/towers) of Battleborn. The fun comes from the mechanics, though, so its Paladins that has cornered my playing time right now.

If anyone is playing this on Xbox One, send me a friend invite. I've been playing it almost nightly. Evie is my jam.

I think I have you friended from the Destiny days. If you see me idle on xbox send me a message. Would love to have a party going on the Xbox.

• Options
    Solo queing in this game is beyond frustrating. I am best in class and top of my team in nearly every game and win maybe 10% of the time. Are there just a ton of premades out there or what?

• Options
    Solo queing in this game is beyond frustrating. I am best in class and top of my team in nearly every game and win maybe 10% of the time. Are there just a ton of premades out there or what?

I find on xbox that I always end up on the team that wants to do nothing but run Mauve, Skye, and Lex. So unless you end up winning the PUG lottery you very likely end up on a team with terrible comp.

I have been trying out Willow. I...I love little bug lady. Decent damage but squishy as hell. I like to think of her as the artillery. Lob death at the enemy and run if anyone looks at me.

• Options
    I haven't tried Willow yet, but she seems similar to Evie except that Evie has way more escapes. I need to drop gold on a good Front Line next. Probably Ruckus

• Options
    edited May 2017
    I haven't tried Willow yet, but she seems similar to Evie except that Evie has way more escapes. I need to drop gold on a good Front Line next. Probably Ruckus

Ruckas is like a hybrid of Frontline and Damage. He is no where near best Frontline and his DPS is bottom tier for Damage. But he has enough gimmicks to work with a good healer combo. Him and Maldumba can do work as a dedicated pair.

Turtle guy is good for dropping a dome shield and decent damage. The hook is good for dragging a flank person into your team for a gang bang.
    Fernando is god tier for survivability. His damage sucks but his shield can eat levels of damage that are unheard of anywhere else.
    Old Man HellBoy hand I find curious. His attack is super short range but is good against shields and he can sub lost health with shields with a cooldown. Deceent survivability and his ult is great for pushing guys off a payload
    Dwarf man I can't quite get to work well for me. His gun feels weak. His shields are low-mid level and his turrets are either dumb as bricks or snipers. So.....yeah. I am willing to accept I don't understand him yet.

*edit*
    I maybe randomly jumping in and out of Friday the 13th tomorrow Obifett but if you want a partner. I'm willing to throw down. Just shoot me a message and I'm sure I can make time if I'm not currently running for my life in Camp Blood Crystal Lake. I don't claim to be good. But I at least tend to stay near the objective with Willow hindering health and raining magical happy bombs on people

Psychotic One on
  • Options
    Im still relatively new and played solely in pugs, so my opinions are obviously skewed.

I feel like Ruckus is consistently the best Frontline on my teams. And his damage is good enough to regularly kill me.

Whenever I see Old Man Hellboy I spend credits on Shieldbreaker. He dies so fast. And I don't think I've ever been killed by him. Yeah is ult is good for zoning, but that's really all he's got, imo.

Ive bought Barik and even spent essence on his kit focusing solely on turrets. They are really really good with the legendary card and the right supporting cards. But it definitely has a learning curve due to figuring out where they should be placed on maps to get the best coverage while also not getting immediately destroyed. I personally like to put one on behind to stop flankers and another in a solid view of the objective that I support with my shield.

Ive been on the fence about Makoa and wish there was some way to try out heroes. I'm not sure I want to drop the gold/essence on him if his kit doesn't work for me.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    In case anyone still plays and also has Twitch Prime, Twitch is running a Paladins promotion for the next few months, with rewards rotating monthly through the end of March. This month is a Twitch themed skin for Bomb King, including the return of the original Twitch skin for Bomb King's bomb that was available briefly during the first or second month of Twitch Prime's launch. You'll also get a Primal Prowler mount, 10 gold chests, and 5 radiant chests. Feb/Mar rewards not yet announced.

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/paladins

• Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    This game feels like it's chasing every fad, but it leans into the abilities more, so I'm kinda intrigued by it. Anyone playing?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Undead MonkeyUndead Monkey Anchorage, AKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2018
    I played this game some time last year, thought it was alright, and for some reason or other gave it another shot this weekend on a whim.

This game has come a long way since then and I'm having a ton of fun with it. Starting Wednesday they are adding a Battle Pass similar to Fortnite, and they are doing away with the cheap pricing on the "all heroes pack" then, too. If you have any interest of buying it, it was only $13 when I picked it up on Saturday.

Undead Monkey on
    SteamID: Pudgestomp
    XBL: InvaderJims
    Bnet: Pudgestomp#11153
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5jROnl1isY&t=334s

The Paladins battle royale mode is actually looking kind of promising.

• Options
    Anyone playing Paladins? I'm wondering when Battle Pass 1 expires or goes away or whatever. I just got to the tier 4 challenges, but it's said "0 days left" for a while now on the battle pass screen.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I just picked this up on Switch

It’s no portable Overwatch but it’ll do in a pinch