As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Router keeps kicking the bucket

DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy EaterRight behind you...Registered User regular
edited April 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm having network issues that I'm pretty sure is stemming from my router. I'm connected to the 'net via cable modem, with a Linksys Network Everywhere NR041 wired router in between my devices and the cable modem. Whenever I use P2P software, say eMule for example but it also happens with torrents, after a while the connection suddenly dies. The router shows no problems, and all the network lights are still on showing my computer is still connected, although the lights for the port that the computer is plugged into don't blink, meaning it sees the device by there is no data being sent. The computer doesn't show any problems other than that it simply can't connect to anything. And I mean anything; it's not just the P2P software that dies, as I can't connect to webpages with Firefox or IE, can't get email, can't connect to news servers.

I've also noticed that this is not port specific. If I've got the P2P running and I'm playing something of XBox Live hooked up to the same router, then the XBox Live connection dies at the same time on a different port. The only solution I've found has been to unplug the power from my router, then plug it back in, essentially rebooting it. It's getting very annoying and is happening more frequently. I've also noticed that the router seems to get rather toasty, and that there seems to be a constant data stream going between the router and the cable modem as the outbound lights on the router are constantly blinking, even when all other devices are turned off.

Does anyone have advice or a solution to this problem other than replacing the router (don't want to spend more money than I have to, but I have to then I have to)? If I need to replace the router, can anyone recommend a good WIRED one that is not too expensive (and, if I have to get a new one, I'll probably want an 8-port rather than a 4-port)?

I am checking to see if I have the latest firmware, although ftp site it is located on is not cooperating right now.

Dalboz on

• Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I had this problem for a long time, thinking it was my router too. Bugged the crap out of me. Always disconnected on streaming sites like myspace as well as P2P stuff.

Turns out my problem was with my ethernet card, I downloaded the latest drivers for it, and since then, I've never ran into the problem again. Definitely try that and see if it remedies anything. For reference, I believe I had a Marvell Yukon ethernet card that needed its drivers updated.

JeffH on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Well, I'm pretty sure it's not the ethernet card unless all the ethernet connections are bad. It's happened with two different computers now, including my laptop which I'm using now. And, as I mentioned, when the connection kicks the bucket, the whole thing gets kicked from router on up, so that when the connection to the computer dies, so too does the XBox Live connection. All ports go down at the same time. That indicates to me that it is a router issue unless I'm mistaken.

I just checked my firmware on the router and I'm using a firmware version that seems to be more recent than the one available from the manufacturer.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I can't remember for sure, but I think when mine went down everything else did as well, which is why I also thought it was a router problem. I don't know, it could be different, but if your at your wits end, it couldn't hurt to upgrade your drivers anyways

JeffH on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It's possible that a plugged in device can fark your router's overall performance, especially if there is something subtlely wrong with your router. I've seen a Procurve switch do a similar thing.

Update all your drivers, for all network-related devices.

See whether you can ping your router, and/or any other device plugged into your router when you believe you've hit a disconnect.

devoir on
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Okay, I drove my router to another disconnect and tried to ping it, as suggested. Request times out with a 100% packet loss. Then I get network warning in my system tray warning me I have limited to no connectivity (first time that's happened, at least that I've noticed). As usual, cycling the power on the router seems to fix it. But I don't want to have to keep doing that.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Seeress WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Hmmmm... is your router getting too hot? If all your drivers and firmware are fine, I would start looking at temperature and airflow as potential catalysts for all this need for power cycling. Maybe move it somewhere more open, or slap some passive heatsinks on it (or even void the warrantee, open that sucker, and slap the passive heatsinks directly on the ICs).

ElectricTurtle on
    yfrxgugaj8wu.png
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    It could actually be a faulty router. RMA it. Linksys have an extensive support process (work closely with an ISP who uses Linksys equipment similar to what you are talking about), but it will be worth it if it actually is faulty. If it's not, they'll generally find the way to fix it through the support process.

devoir on
  • Options
    Porphyria PlanPorphyria Plan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Some routers "crash" for lack of the correct term if there are too many connections. The exact same thing was happening to me while I was using utorrent, connection drops but all lights are still on. I searched for many hours after this happened many times over the course of a year and found one suggestion to limit the amount of connections in and out. I try and stick to no more than 4-5 torrent and the problem stopped. Or you you can buy a better router.

FYI, I have a Linksys too.

Porphyria Plan on