As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Tube: D&D Edition

TubeTube Registered User admin
We've now done this in G&T and SE and they both went fine, so I'm going to continue repeating the idea until it's a complete fucking disaster. Which is where you guys come in!

This is a place to ask me any questions you have, about the forum or other stuff or whatever.

Some guidelines!
1.. If you're shitty I won't answer your question ain't nobody got time for that
2. If I don't answer your question I may have missed it, or already answered it for someone else or maybe it was terrible! Please don't repost it I will go back for ones I missed periodically
3. If you have a goofy question that's fine but if I get webbed up the serious questions will get precedent and I might not answer your goofy question
4. Topicality is somewhat looser than in standard threads but bear in mind that the more noise exists in the thread the greater the chance that serious questions get lost in the noise
5. I make no promise that answers will be timely

Ok shoot

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    You mentioned the Lookouts kickstarter and that it affects the forums. You may have elaborated on that in other threads but I pretty much stick to this one so I was wondering if you could explain.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Do people typically call you Tube in real life? Do you have any other interesting RL nicknames?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    Why do you keep doing this to yourself?

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Are people who post in D&D markedly different from other areas of the forum and why does that make your life better or worse?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Tube do you secretly love this?

• Options
    edited October 2016
    You mentioned the Lookouts kickstarter and that it affects the forums. You may have elaborated on that in other threads but I pretty much stick to this one so I was wondering if you could explain.

What's your specific question about that?

Tube on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

What's you specific question about that?

How does the lookouts kickstarter affect the forums?

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tube, it is known you are a musical person. Are you still doing music? I remember at PAX a few years back you played like a small show at a coffee shop.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    milski wrote: »
    Do people typically call you Tube in real life? Do you have any other interesting RL nicknames?

No, I don't let people. In real life I use real names, despite the fact that Tube isn't that bad as nicknames go. Conversely I hate it when people use real names on the forums.
    Ilpala wrote: »

The G&T one went fine. I have money on this being the worst one yet.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Are there any forum in-jokes you enjoy?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Have you ever had a dream or nightmare about the forums? Not necessarily about forumers (like IRL) but about the forums themselves: those bright lattices of logic unfolding across the colorless void.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Complete fucking disaster, you say? *strides up to the mic confidently*

My dearest Tube - What would your suggestion be to a cowardly narwhal who primarily hides in [chat] because it is his safe haven and he finds both the rigidity of on-topic threads and the Wild West style of SE intimidating? To elaborate, I worry that I can't contribute meaningfully or, perhaps more accurately, compellingly, to on-topic threads, whereas the split-topic slow-motion of most SE threads means I get easily distracted and look elsewhere for interaction?

I apologize if this question is confusing. I'm confusing. I'm confused.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Joke Question: How do you feel about the Surface Table?

Real Question: Am I on the top 10 of "most annoying to deal with forum posters"?

2nd Real Question: I feel stupid reporting some stuff that isn't quite against the rules but feels.. off in some threads. An example is someone's being a dick, but not really overt about it, but may just be because they didn't intend to be a dick. Should I just not report them or is it not a big deal if I do as long as I say why I think it's off, or, should I confront the person in the thread and go "hey, that's not nice" ?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    How long has D&D been your favourite subforum and why?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    What are your favorite animes?

• Options
    Drez wrote: »
    Have you ever had a dream or nightmare about the forums? Not necessarily about forumers (like IRL) but about the forums themselves: those bright lattices of logic unfolding across the colorless void.

Yeah, nothing super memorable but it's happened.
    BeNarwhal wrote: »
    Complete fucking disaster, you say? *strides up to the mic confidently*

My dearest Tube - What would your suggestion be to a cowardly narwhal who primarily hides in [chat] because it is his safe haven and he finds both the rigidity of on-topic threads and the Wild West style of SE intimidating? To elaborate, I worry that I can't contribute meaningfully or, perhaps more accurately, compellingly, to on-topic threads, whereas the split-topic slow-motion of most SE threads means I get easily distracted and look elsewhere for interaction?

I apologize if this question is confusing. I'm confusing. I'm confused.

I don't mind man, you do you. I don't really like the chat thread format but if that's the way you like to post I guess go for it. The chat thread isn't going anywhere based on current trajectories.

• Options
    edited October 2016

It took us 15 posts until disaster.

milski on
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Can we please draw more horses?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Hitman series: stealth or assault? Which is the best way to play those games once I get to them in my backlog? Or are you a beat-it-both-ways guy?

• Options
    bowen wrote: »
    Joke Question: How do you feel about the Surface Table?

Real Question: Am I on the top 10 of "most annoying to deal with forum posters"?

2nd Real Question: I feel stupid reporting some stuff that isn't quite against the rules but feels.. off in some threads. An example is someone's being a dick, but not really overt about it, but may just be because they didn't intend to be a dick. Should I just not report them or is it not a big deal if I do as long as I say why I think it's off, or, should I confront the person in the thread and go "hey, that's not nice" ?

1. You probably wouldn't make it into the top 10. You're comfortably in the top 20.

2. Just report it. If you're reporting too much/badly we'll tell you. Generally the problem "we're getting too many reports!" is less frequently a problem than "x user has decided to be forum Batman"

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I used to post a lot in this forum, but dropped my participation over the years. That was largely due to the [Chat] at the time being somewhat of a place to snipe/made snide comments towards other users actually engaging in other threads (and oh boy, I definitely participated in that problem). It is something I have never quite forgiven myself for.

Cursory reading seems like that has been curtailed, but I am curious how DnDs chat thread survived while others did not. Was it a commitment from DnD mods to participate and such in actively moderating it?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote: »
    How long has D&D been your favourite subforum and why?

I think these two answer each other.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I used to post a lot in this forum, but dropped my participation over the years. That was largely due to the [Chat] at the time being somewhat of a place to snipe/made snide comments towards other users actually engaging in other threads (and oh boy, I definitely participated in that problem). It is something I have never quite forgiven myself for.

Cursory reading seems like that has been curtailed, but I am curious how DnDs chat thread survived while others did not. Was it a commitment from DnD mods to participate and such in actively moderating it?

Sniping people in chat in regards to on-topic threads has definitely stopped being a thing and is shit on by everyone when someone does it, usually.

It hasn't been a thing since the last ban wave like 4-5 years ago.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Forum Batman you say

• Options
    Tube, are you officially on-call at all times? Do you work on other forums? How often do you get woken up to put out fires? What happened with last year's Christmas forum rollout?

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    What was the worst event or gimmick the forum tried to create/run?

Its been a while but I still remember a few.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    I don't have any questions at the moment, but I love these threads and want to register my support.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    So this is one of those issues I've seen muddled by opinions/people claiming first hand knowledge/ (mis)interpretation of posts you've made, etc.

The PA Community has become a second home for a lot of people. I myself have met many people I consider dear "rl" friends now through this community. It's quite important to me and has absolutely been critical in serving as a turning point in how I viewed and interacted with the world. Many people feel the same.

While it is absolutely true that there comes a time when a person has an unhealthy relationship with an online community and needs to step away, be it voluntarily or otherwise, there have also been many positive things to come out of this community writ large. At the same time it is absolutely true and understandable that this community can't take the place of, or serve as a crisis counseling center etc for obvious ethical and potentially legal reasons.

Do you view the forums -as- a community or simply a casual place for discussion, meaning that you would perhaps rather people not form overly familiar bonds and that eventually "moving on" from the forums is your preferred end-game for community members? I've seen discussions about this crop up from time to time and I don't think it's particularly fair to you to label you.

On a personal note, I have been a thorn in your side many times but I'd like to thank you for your dedication to the forums and their continued survival. You put the good of the many over the good of the few on a daily basis and are often unfairly villainized for it. Your job, along with the jobs of the mods is an unenviable one in which no decision is made in a bubble and it's impossible to make everyone happy.

That this forum still stands as a beacon on a hill in comparison to other communities is a testament to that dedication.

Thanks.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    What is the worst movie you've seen in the past five years or so?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »

No, I don't let people. In real life I use real names, despite the fact that Tube isn't that bad as nicknames go. Conversely I hate it when people use real names on the forums.

How much money and/or will there be kickbacks?

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Do we get a cut stake slice percentage for helping with this?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I think I remember you saying that D&D was the most annoying forum to moderate. Is that true? And if so, why?

• Options

What's you specific question about that?

How does the lookouts kickstarter affect the forums?

It makes the forums look good if they help to fund other projects. That helps me get a lot of stuff done.
    Six wrote: »
    Are people who post in D&D markedly different from other areas of the forum and why does that make your life better or worse?

Mazzyx wrote: »
    Tube, it is known you are a musical person. Are you still doing music? I remember at PAX a few years back you played like a small show at a coffee shop.

I released a new album in April or so!
    cB557 wrote: »
    Are there any forum in-jokes you enjoy?

Not really, I don't like in jokes. Once I've finished making a joke, it's done. I'm not a big fan of "hey remember that joke when-". Having said that, other people like in-jokes that I'm in some way involved with and it's nice that they continue to enjoy them, but my own contribution to that is mostly forced smiles and "I get it, I get the reference"

Death Note out of a very small field. The idea that I hate anime is largely mythology
    Organichu wrote: »
    Hitman series: stealth or assault? Which is the best way to play those games once I get to them in my backlog? Or are you a beat-it-both-ways guy?

I think the best Hitman levels are social stealth, not hiding behind fucking pillars or whatever. Beating a Hitman level assault style should be, if not impossible, impractical and very difficult. Skip to Blood Money and then 2016. The others aren't worth playing.

The flippant answer is that it was always more effort to get rid of than it was to keep around. The non-flippant answer is that the D&D mods consistently work hard at keeping it around and go to bat for it whenever the question comes up. The chat thread has generally been able to pull itself out of dives before hitting the ground due to the community's collective interest in keeping it around. Without that, it's fucked.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    What's your favorite video game soundtrack?

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    What portion of the forums do you think has stuck with the forums since you first joined?
    Also: Who is the longest-lasting forum member that you know?

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Whoops

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    Is there any chance of us ever losing the "/or" again at any point?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular

The flippant answer is that it was always more effort to get rid of than it was to keep around. The non-flippant answer is that the D&D mods consistently work hard at keeping it around and go to bat for it whenever the question comes up. The chat thread has generally been able to pull itself out of dives before hitting the ground due to the community's collective interest in keeping it around. Without that, it's fucked.

Tube's saying we're the best!

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Do you view d&d as a whole to be biased in any direction?

Have you ever taken active steps to adjust that perception?

If there was one activity you wish D&D would lessen or stop, what is it?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    1. How sick are you of Hitman questions?
    2. Do you see or are there any detectable differences in word patterns or usage between forums? Is that something that's ever looked at? Just curious as a data person, since anecdotally the way people talk here vs. G&T vs. SE is different in ways that are hard to verbalize.