As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Tube: D&D Edition

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Tube wrote: »
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Chanus wrote: »
    which mod can bench which other mod?

Duck & I could comfortably bench any mod in pure weight terms, save perhaps Zerzhul. In real terms, benching a human is very difficult, they're an unstable weight.
    zepherin wrote: »
    What's the weirdest thing you've ever had to act on Tube?

I'm going to say the time Soulja Boy signed up to hawk some shit. Or the time the Green Power Ranger's personal assistant came to defend his honor.

Could you tell the Soulja Boy story, if you have time? Because I can't go to bed not knowing what happened.

There's not that much too it, he just turned up pimping something video game related he was doing. My hunch is that it was, in fact, a confederate working on his behalf.

Did he offer to "crank that" or was it more of a monetary quid pro quo?

Inquisitor77 on
  • DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    How happy are you that this thread is active again,

on a scale from 0 to hahahahahahahahahahahaha

• MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My profile shows 4 threads created, even though I have created 0.

Someone mentioned that it might be due to reports? (I'm assuming reports I made, because no one would report me)

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Delmain wrote: »
    How happy are you that this thread is active again,

on a scale from 0 to hahahahahahahahahahahaha

I rate things on a scale of zero to nazi punching

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »

Someone mentioned that it might be due to reports? (I'm assuming reports I made, because no one would report me)

When you report something one of two things happens as far as I know. If you are the first to report it then you create a thread. If you are not the first a post is made in the thread that was created. These threads exist in some super secret mod only part of the board I believe.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

When you report something one of two things happens as far as I know. If you are the first to report it then you create a thread. If you are not the first a post is made in the thread that was created. These threads exist in some super secret mod only part of the board I believe.

Could it also be some threads that are no longer available do to being around for so many board server/code shifts?

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Could it also be some threads that are no longer available do to being around for so many board server/code shifts?

I have absolutely no idea. I just remember the reports thing so I figured I would try to explain it to the best of my knowledge gained from the various Ask Tubes.

• GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    That and also the old "awesome posts" forums counted as a thread from you iirc

wbBv3fj.png
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

And the holiday forums.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

Isn't that whole forum still down in the archive? I've 22 discussions, 18 showing, 2 are Awesome threads.

It is plausible that I've only ever reported 4 posts.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Just out of curiosity, how many Lorc alts have been banned?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    at least 50

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Just out of curiosity, how many Lorc alts have been banned?

Think of a number that you feel would be high enough to signal to even a typical maladjusted misanthrope, "Hey, maybe I'm wasting my time here, I should find somewhere else to try and fuck with."

Then double that number, and multiply it by ten.

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Hey Tube, what's the best part of your job?

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

If it were me, it'd be closing threads for punfoolery.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    chromdom wrote: »

If it were me, it'd be closing threads for punfoolery.

I doubt Tube wears his clothes wide open.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Do you think the forum's open source nature will eventually lead to volunteer forumer contributions addressing lower priority issues Icy doesn't have time for?

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Paladin wrote: »
    Do you think the forum's open source nature will eventually lead to volunteer forumer contributions addressing lower priority issues Icy doesn't have time for?

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/36398772/#Comment_36398772 :question:

Veevee on
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

You can PM him
    If you'd like to try and work on bugs, go nuts. Not guarantees that we'd accept the pull requests as-is, but some help is better than no help!

You just need to register with vanillaforums as a contributor; or did at the time.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    someone who's actually a coder should submit that bugfix

it'd make me so happy

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Do you ever get tired of answering the same question?

Also, do you ever get tired of answering the same question?

• TubeTube Registered User admin

No, because the forums aren't really open source in any meaningful way. They're a closed source branch of an open source software.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Tube, is it normal that every time I see you I say "toooooooooooooooob" in my head?

Also are you the secret fancy dinner guest?

I ate an engineer
    no and no

Duck & I could comfortably bench any mod in pure weight terms, save perhaps Zerzhul. In real terms, benching a human is very difficult, they're an unstable weight.

I'm going to say the time Soulja Boy signed up to hawk some shit. Or the time the Green Power Ranger's personal assistant came to defend his honor.

Could you tell the Soulja Boy story, if you have time? Because I can't go to bed not knowing what happened.

There's not that much too it, he just turned up pimping something video game related he was doing. My hunch is that it was, in fact, a confederate working on his behalf.

I am disappoint

Ok I got one. How many posts are reported on the average day, and how many of them are frivolous? Have you had many funny ones?

Somewhere between 5-10 most days. Most aren't actionable. We don't like funny ones because they're generally wasting our time.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    wrong thread hi tube

Casual Eddy on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    You've mentioned before how The Glorious Edict was framed as a sort-of joke in case it didn't work and it had to be rolled back. If it hadn't worked, were there any other plans in the works to improve the culture of the forums?

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I would imagine that the ban-hammer would have made an impact on the continuosly uncivil.

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    How often do you browse the forums just to take part in the conversation and not just as part of your job as admin or mod?

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    He's pretty active in SE++

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    We don't really plan more than one policy in advance to be honest.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular

I am disappoint

Ok I got one. How many posts are reported on the average day, and how many of them are frivolous? Have you had many funny ones?

Somewhere between 5-10 most days. Most aren't actionable. We don't like funny ones because they're generally wasting our time.

to what degree would, basically, "hey, nothing strictly speaking actionable has happened yet, but this is obviously going to turn into a gross shitshow if not headded off." reports be appreciated?

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

I picture before even replying with this answer Tube looked around the room and just said " Holy shit , they think we plan anything!?" then laughed maniacally

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    redx wrote: »

I am disappoint

to what degree would, basically, "hey, nothing strictly speaking actionable has happened yet, but this is obviously going to turn into a gross shitshow if not headded off." reports be appreciated?

If in doubt, report. We'll tell you if we want you to stop.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

I am disappoint

wow, that's really the average?

I would have guessed at least twice that many

have you kept track of how that number has changed over a long term?

• TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular

I picture before even replying with this answer Tube looked around the room and just said " Holy shit , they think we plan anything!?" then laughed maniacally

I mean they did let a rouge AI out into the world

@Geth

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Geth is more of a metallic bluish purple color than rouge.

• PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Remember when Geth used to autonomously Agree and Awesome posts?

That sometimes got super weird.

Hey Tube, did Geth stop doing that because you guys turned that off (if so, why?) or did it just turn off because of a bug/patch?

Pony on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »

Hey Tube, did Geth stop doing that because you guys turned that off (if so, why?) or did it just turn off because of a bug/patch?

Geth awesoming sad personal stories was a problem.

I ate an engineer
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »

Geth awesoming sad personal stories was a problem.

You misspelled "awesome."
    Or "terrifying." One of the two.