As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ask Tube: D&D Edition

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Tube.

In the infractions/bans thread, every so often there's a post stating the new suspension or ban, and that post itself has a warning infraction on it?

That just mods messing around ?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • FalxFalx Registered User regular
    I know this one, it's a side effect of the mechanics of having reactions disabled and setting Geth to auto-infract. It looks like its the mods getting the infraction but the actual receiver is the person clicking the reaction button.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Speaking of Geth, I've noticed he no longer silently agrees or awesomes us. I always liked that little part of the forums, especially when the post was talking about something related, like the movie Terminator.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Speaking of Geth, I've noticed he no longer silently agrees or awesomes us. I always liked that little part of the forums, especially when the post was talking about something related, like the movie Terminator.

I think Tube answered this in the G&T one, but basically sometimes Geth would awesome someone making a sad post about a pet dying or something like that and it wasn't super great. If I recall correctly.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    Who would you be most psyched to find out posted here?

Conversely, do your admin powers ever give you cause to suspect that a poster is someone famous? I don't know how much you would be able to see.

Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh. I'm going to go with Robert. I would be very flattered if Robert started posting here socially, incognito. I think Terry Pratchett would have been really cool

I'd be able to tell if they signed up with an email from a custom domain. Like if it was felicia@feliciaday.com or something. Otherwise I don't have any way of knowing.
    Will we ever have more hangout type stuff? Xmas hangout is one of my favorite forum times. I'm guessing it's a lot of work though.

We should be doing Christmas this year if the scripts aren't broken. It's somewhat less work than just running the forums normally would be, and I get to enjoy the tears of the entitled.
    Shimshai wrote: »
    How much of a shitshow is Brexit going to be, and has it disrupted any potential long-term plans you might have had?

It's going to be a gigantic shitshow. It hasn't disrupted my plans aside from wiping 40% off my life savings and ensuring I have no plans to go back. Also I'm ditching my UK passport and going back to being 100% Australian.
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Tube, does it bother you when people post things in these Ask Tube threads that are not just their questions and your responses, or do you feel like every forum can use or squander their 100 pages as they will?

Follow-up question: can you describe the monster at the end of this thread?

It's ok I guess? Outside of SE I don't expect them to get to 100 pages anyway. I don't want to discourage people from posting
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Aside from having the mark of shame of being 'jailed' on your avatar, is there any other restrictions to being jailed? Like restrictions to posting amounts?

You get a post timer that means you can only post once every 30 seconds or a minute. Also don't think you can create threads if you're jailed.

^ this. I think that's it. The time is more like five minutes though.
    ArcTangent wrote: »
    Tube, can you explain Memoirs Found in a Bathtub to me?

No
    shryke wrote: »
    What are your thoughts on some degree of modding by posters?

I mean, obviously there's a whole realm of places posters shouldn't be taking it, but what do you think of like a poster in a thread going "Guys, stay on topic please" or "Stop that shit" when a bunch of posters are going a bit off the rails?

Is it ok as long as it's just very brief? Should people just say nothing and use the report button?

I feel like it's something many people like to do as a sort of "Don't bring the Eye of the Mod down upon us, for they will not be pleased" but I know it can be just as disruptive if a bunch of people start doing it.

I was wondering if you thought it was actually useful in any way or not.

We don't want posters to be modding at all. Report button all the way. Metamodding just leads to "well this is what I
    think the forum should be like so I'm going to ensure it happens".

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    Athenor wrote: »
    Would it be possible to append a page navigation bar to the top of the mobile site?

I mostly browse the forum on mobile, and sometimes finding a specific page can be a real hassle.

Edit: Or even better would be a navigation bar that shows up with the back to subforum, main forum, and search buttons.

Just an aside that I didn't realize for my first year of the mobile site - clicking the Penny Arcade logo that appears when you scroll up takes you back to the root forum page. This, combined with the left arrow to go to the parent sub-forum, means I can pretty quickly navigate around the forums on mobile.

Goddammit are you kidding me.

How did you not accidently hit that at some point?

My meathooks hit it half the time when I don't mean to.

I hate to say it, but it's a rather standard design pattern that clicking a site logo does that.

Yeah, though I always assumed it went to main PA site instead the forum index.

steam_sig.png
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Also Tube, since I know you like space stuff.

If you haven't purchased Stellaris yet you definitely should. I'm not sure about your taste for strategic games but all I'm going to say is that not only is my peaceful spacefaring technocratic republic stuck right in the middle of a plot from Babylon 5 insofar as super technologically advanced empires are concerned but there is also basically an Eye of Terror in the galaxy spewing out extra-dimensional things that are invading the galaxy.

Also what's you're favorite thing about Elite:Dangerous so far? Are you looking forward to being able to have a crew; and would you like there to be guilds (or whatever they decide to call them) in the game?

Trace wrote: »

If you haven't purchased Stellaris yet you definitely should. I'm not sure about your taste for strategic games but all I'm going to say is that not only is my peaceful spacefaring technocratic republic stuck right in the middle of a plot from Babylon 5 insofar as super technologically advanced empires are concerned but there is also basically an Eye of Terror in the galaxy spewing out extra-dimensional things that are invading the galaxy.

Also what's you're favorite thing about Elite:Dangerous so far? Are you looking forward to being able to have a crew; and would you like there to be guilds (or whatever they decide to call them) in the game?

I'll give it a look! Total Warhammer has my strategy brain bogarted right now.

My favourite thing about Elite is the flight model. It feels really good to fly, and I wish there was more opportunity and need o
    Trace wrote: »

I'll check it out, cheers!

My favourite thing about Elite is the flight model. I wish there was more opportunity and need for fancy flying, and I love that the ship fighters mean that I can have a nimble ship and my large ship at the same time.

I'm looking forward to multi crew, so that I can get friends playing and say "hey, man the main cannon" or "get in the fighter" rather than "ok here's how to not fuck everything up in your stupid sidewinder"

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Will we ever have more hangout type stuff? Xmas hangout is one of my favorite forum times. I'm guessing it's a lot of work though.

We should be doing Christmas this year if the scripts aren't broken. It's somewhat less work than just running the forums normally would be, and I get to enjoy the tears of the entitled.
    How much of a shitshow is Brexit going to be, and has it disrupted any potential long-term plans you might have had?

It's going to be a gigantic shitshow. It hasn't disrupted my plans aside from wiping 40% off my life savings and ensuring I have no plans to go back. Also I'm ditching my UK passport and going back to being 100% Australian.

Do you lose (even more) faith in humanity every year when people who have been around long enough to know better inexplicably get confused/angry about the Holiday Hangout?

Also 40%, damn that's awful :(

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    What's your favorite food to eat while sick

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Tube, I forgot to ask over in the G&T thread, but...

What is your favorite Let's Play that has been done on the forums?

• Captain UltraCaptain Ultra low resolution pictures of birds Registered User regular
    Did "Cardboard Tube" come from Cardboard Tube Samurai or was that just serendipity?

• Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    LostNinja wrote: »

Do you lose (even more) faith in humanity every year when people who have been around long enough to know better inexplicably get confused/angry about the Holiday Hangout?

I have a feeling the answer to Holiday Hangout anger is just more spiked eggnog. But it could also be Hot Toddies!

Emissary42 on
  • TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    As an addition to the Stellaris thing

You can do a multiplayer game. They're quite fun if you've got a group who can schedule one.

Also it's a Paradox game so the earlier you hop on board the better. They can wind up becoming really expensive with the amount of DLC they add to their games. That said they also tend to have really good sales around the holidays and usually right after they release a new major DLC for their games so you can hold off if you want to.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Tube so because of this thread I started Person of Interest over the weekend and watched 21 episodes in two days.

Watch it.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    How do you feel about the fact that Australia has stolen Lamingtons, Pavlova, and Weetbix from New Zealand?

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Incidentally when was the glorious edict put into effect?

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Tube so because of this thread I started Person of Interest over the weekend and watched 21 episodes in two days.

Watch it.
    Counterpoint: no it's bad.

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh. I'm going to go with Robert. I would be very flattered if Robert started posting here socially, incognito. I think Terry Pratchett would have been really cool.
    A long, long time ago, Terry Pratchett posted a couple of times on the Through the Looking Glass forums; he quite enjoyed the Thief games for a while. I seem to remember having a forum exchange with him on the forums, though I'm 75% certain that's just my memory making things up.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Could a "show password" option be added to the login page on the mobile site, for those of us with fat thumbs and long passwords?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Thirith wrote: »
    Uuuuuuuuuhhhhhhh. I'm going to go with Robert. I would be very flattered if Robert started posting here socially, incognito. I think Terry Pratchett would have been really cool.
    A long, long time ago, Terry Pratchett posted a couple of times on the Through the Looking Glass forums; he quite enjoyed the Thief games for a while. I seem to remember having a forum exchange with him on the forums, though I'm 75% certain that's just my memory making things up.

PTerry made a Fidonet post once in the dark modem era age of the late 90s.

"I have never posted on Fidonet and I never will!" he wrote.

LostNinja wrote: »

Nah I'm sued to it by now. One thing you can't surprise me with is "fans of free service think that they're fucking owed something"
    hippofant wrote: »
    Could a "show password" option be added to the login page on the mobile site, for those of us with fat thumbs and long passwords?

No, we're generally not able to make changes like that without dropping a lot of money on it. That one isn't worth it.
    Gator wrote: »
    Incidentally when was the glorious edict put into effect?

I'm going to say 2010

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Hmm that makes me wonder: Has there ever been a serious doxing issue here where mods had to get involved?

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    I mean

There was gamergate

• 101101 Registered User regular
    Did that cause issues for the forum?

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    If by issues you mean contentious threads: yes.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • 101101 Registered User regular
    Oh yeah I remember a few heated threads, just wondering if we ever had more trouble than that

101 wrote: »

It made the whole industry polarised and toxic, but we escaped a lot of bullshit by virtue of immediately banning gjoni and deleting his thread

• MKRMKR Registered User regular

It made the whole industry polarised and toxic, but we escaped a lot of bullshit by virtue of immediately banning gjoni and deleting his thread

It's almost as if people in charge setting expectations of community behavior has an effect, and all those people claiming abuse/harassment online is an intractable problem are wrong.

• Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Tube is there a particular reason why the mobile site kept the pre-Vanilla color scheme when we switched? Or, I suppose, is there a reason why the desktop site didn't?

vRyue2p.png
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    We got a few gamer gate forum raids too

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    In the G&T thread, I asked about name change events and you responded that it might be time to do another soon. Any movement in that direction? I'd take my chances with the coin for sure if it meant no longer being accused of being a libertarian around these parts.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    In the G&T thread, I asked about name change events and you responded that it might be time to do another soon. Any movement in that direction? I'd take my chances with the coin for sure if it meant no longer being accused of being a libertarian around these parts.

Your new name shall be

Libertarian in Chains

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »

Your new name shall be

Libertarian in Chains

If I'm going to get stuck with the brand, can I at least be Ron Paul 2012? It's not so on the nose, but it still represents poor decisions from the past.

• The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    What is your favorite Microprose game?

With Love and Courage
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Tube I think I remember you played some Master's of Orion. Did you build your own races in MoO2? And what did you build into? Science? Espionage? Economy?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Was he actually a poster here or was this like a "Hi, I'm joining just to make this thread defending myself" thing?

• DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Tube,

Carmen Sandiego or Where's Waldo?

Also, are there any improvements to the forums that you think we need, are there any that are in the works, and are there any aspects of the forums you think are underutilized?

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »

Was he actually a poster here or was this like a "Hi, I'm joining just to make this thread defending myself" thing?

The PA forums were one of the places that he initially targeted with the posting of the original message.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum