As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Westworld

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    I've been considering picking up a piano keyboard for a while now as a way to get a better grip on basic musical theory.

This soundtrack has definitely been providing some additional motivation.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Elsie
    being killed by Bernard would work because it adds to his suffering, which in turn hastens his awakening.

Stubbs
    got tackled and rolled around right out of frame but I don't think he was knocked out on camera. I guess he could still be alive and in hiding on the park grounds.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    Elsie
    being killed by Bernard would work because it adds to his suffering, which in turn hastens his awakening.

Stubbs
    got tackled and rolled around right out of frame but I don't think he was knocked out on camera. I guess he could still be alive and in hiding on the park grounds.

I just feel like the way that these two were handled would make it so pointless if they were dead?

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »
    For me honestly, the interesting part of the show is over.
    I'm definitely sad to lose Anthony Hopkins, but I'll keep watching for Jeffrey Wright, Ed Harris, and an Evan Rachel Wood that gets to do more than walk around and look bewildered

I would not at all be surprised if
    the "dead" Hopkins was a host, decoy style. The board got wiped out, probably the simplest way to regain control - not directly in the immediate future, but still. Wtf is the immediate future, anyway. Walking Dead with robots?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    I'm definitely sad to lose Anthony Hopkins, but I'll keep watching for Jeffrey Wright, Ed Harris, and an Evan Rachel Wood that gets to do more than walk around and look bewildered

the "dead" Hopkins was a host, decoy style. The board got wiped out, probably the simplest way to regain control - not directly in the immediate future, but still. Wtf is the immediate future, anyway. Walking Dead with robots?
    this implies the robots would be the villains but I'm pretty sure we're supposed to be rooting for them now
    I certainly am

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

this implies the robots would be the villains but I'm pretty sure we're supposed to be rooting for them now
    I certainly am
    I would definitely root for Ed Harris on his rampage
    so

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

The whole thing with the finale was revealing that Ford was on the robots' side the whole time, he came around to Arnold's way of thinking long ago, and thus sacrificed himself for them just like Arnold did

It would really cheapen it if that was another fakeout

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Gre[quote= wrote:

He was clearly building a host in his underground lab back when he had Bernard murder the director, I don't think they ever showed what happened to that one.

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    Elsie

Stubbs

I just feel like the way that these two were handled would make it so pointless if they were dead?
    Also, in a show where so many people get obvious and bloody on-screen deaths, it seems odd that Stubbs death would happen so blatantly off-screen. At least there are some shots of Bernard actually choking her which could justify why Elsie is probably dead, but Stubbs going down like that seems wrong. After all, he's a trained security chief, you'd think he'd at least put up an on-screen fight. Of the two, he's my most likely to be not dead.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options

The whole thing with the finale was revealing that Ford was on the robots' side the whole time, he came around to Arnold's way of thinking long ago, and thus sacrificed himself for them just like Arnold did

Disagree. But I don't like redemption stories, so Ford turning "good" in the end did nothing for me

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod

I certainly am
    so

One of the things I love most about this show is that I'm rooting for almost everyone at one point or another.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Larlar wrote: »

I certainly am
    so

One of the things I love most about this show is that I'm rooting for almost everyone at one point or another.

Even the writer guy?

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular

I certainly am
    so

see one of the things I like least about this show (and I do like it, to be clear) is that i was very rarely actively rooting for anyone in particular

it got a bit better toward the last couple eps, though, in that i felt Bernard's story started emotionally working for me on a level beyond "damn Jeffery wright is good, love that dude"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I think burying everyone in mystery made the show really difficult to feel much for anyone at all really. I think the various twists save for one or so were more detrimental to the show than the reveals were worth. Especially when it all turned out to be fairly obvious. I think a better approach would just have been to lay the cards on the table by mid-season if not earlier and deal with the ramifications. I dunno that you'd really even need to do much different beyond that, but it would have given the characters more meat and more reasons to care about them.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod

I certainly am
    so

Even the writer guy?

Especially definitely not him.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    The one big thing I'm wondering about for next season
    is where exactly the whole army of robots from cold storage fits into Ford's plan. Were they programmed to turn, like Maeve, or were they stuck in cold storage because Ford knew they had awakened and wasn't ready to start the fight yet?

Also I completely forgot that whole thing with Stubbs happened.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    JayKaos wrote: »
    is where exactly the whole army of robots from cold storage fits into Ford's plan. Were they programmed to turn, like Maeve, or were they stuck in cold storage because Ford knew they had awakened and wasn't ready to start the fight yet?

If I had to guess
    You see some straight up naked robots in the group descending on the board. So I imagine they are there.

I could see Elsie and Stubbs still being in the park as a sort of insurgent element trying to find Abernathy and the code in s2.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »

If I had to guess
    You see some straight up naked robots in the group descending on the board. So I imagine they are there.

I could see Elsie and Stubbs still being in the park as a sort of insurgent element trying to find Abernathy and the code in s2.
    Yeah OG Clementine is with the group near the gala, and she was last seen in cold storage, so that's definitely the same group; it's more their motivation and all that I'm wondering about.

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I'm curious about what will happen next season with Teddy.
    he was pretty shocked and maybe even a little horrified when Dolores started shooting guests, whereas we saw that other host guy start to smile/get into it.

Teddy's cornerstones are his redemption from his past sins arc and his love for Dolores, and now both of those things are in conflict. Does he join the robutt rebellion or help the remaining guests or what?

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I dunno about this season.
    I feel I couldn't get excited about any of the characters other than benard, Dolores and Elsie.

MiB, William's story as a separate thing, and maeve's story were all a bit dull. And even with maeve, I guessed that she was acting on script before it was revealed. (I think a board member used her as a strategy of getting a host of out)

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Man, I really liked this show. The episodes after the first two didn't hold my interest as much but it pulled me back in and the last few really worked for me. I think the overall narrative of the season was pretty good (I don't necessarily agree with the show's philosophy, but that's not really a problem, I don't have to for the story to work) and I'm real happy with how it ended up as a complete "arc".

Excited to see where they go next.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    I just binged the show over the past couple of days
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    This was an entertaining finale that I don't think surprised me even once
    Yup this was us too.

Finding out
    Maeve was just following a script
    was a twist for me.

Personally I feel like this finale really pulled the show out of a tailspin and it will be looked upon far more kindly by people who are able to binge watch it rather than waiting a full week.
    Which has another twist to it, that she was supposed to "reach the mainland", making her decision to leave the train her first full departure from her script.

Wyatt's gang was partially made up of older model Hosts, something William commented on when he noted the woman being used as the distraction, and Bernard pointed out the cold storage Hosts weren't completely dead, merely "hobbled". So my assumption is that Wyatt's gang was made up of the old Cold Storage models. Ford moving out a dozen or so for the initial storyline, and then releasing them all at once for his dying act.

There is still a bit of setup for next season though. I'm avoiding calling it a "mystery" because everything that isn't flat out said seems to be labeled a "mystery" by people trying to either write theory or put it down for some reason.
    Through multiple episodes they pointed out that Ford was retasking almost half of the park's resources for the new storyline, so he's left a huge something out there that the Wyatt gang and uprising don't account for.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    I really enjoyed this finale, although like others have said it wasn't very surprising at all

Also daaaang Armistice

Also, finale and potential Season 2 stuff:
    I really like the hosts turning Westworld and the other worlds into their own nation and defending it versus invading the human world

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    I bet she
    misses her arm

mkc.png
  • Options
    Lord Dave wrote: »
    I bet she
    misses her arm
    She will
    show up next season fully repaired reading a copy of A Farewell to Arms

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I'm still wondering about -
    The guy who used to be the role of D's father that got reprogrammed and sent out to the real world. We never see that actually happen, we just hear the command to make it so.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I'm still wondering about -
    The guy who used to be the role of D's father that got reprogrammed and sent out to the real world. We never see that actually happen, we just hear the command to make it so.
    I'm not sure he actually got sent out, wasn't that what the writer dude was up to when he found the empty cold storage thing? Guy may be in the big group outside the gala.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Ohhhh you're right! I didn't put that together.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    edited December 2016
    So I started watching this show last night

Before that I was at the gym and I don't know what their deal was, but they played 'Black Hole Sun' like 5 times over the speakers in there. I like that song, but that is too much Black Hole Sun for any sane individual to handle. It completely wormed itself into my head and was all I could hum in the shower on my ride home.

I get home and inform my fiancée that 1) I think Black Hole Sun is driving me insane and 2) that I am going to start watching Westworld. Looking forward to focusing my mind on something aside from the fucking melody of Black Hole Sun.

God

Dammit

Tasteticle on

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Tasteticle wrote: »
    So I started watching this show last night

Before that I was at the gym and I don't know what their deal was, but they played 'Black Hole Sun' like 5 times over the speakers in there. I like that song, but that is too much Black Hole Sun for any sane individual to handle. It completely wormed itself into my head and was all I could hum in the shower on my ride home.

I get home and inform my fiancée that 1) I think Black Hole Sun is driving me insane and 2) that I am going to start watching Westworld. Looking forward to focusing my mind on something aside from the fucking melody of Black Hole Sun.

God

Dammit

This is an incredibly specific thing to have happen to someone and I kind of love it.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    Doesn't sound like anything to me

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

I certainly am
    so

Even the writer guy?

Yes

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options

I certainly am
    so

Even the writer guy?

Yes
    Ugh

I hate him so much

and that is one of the moments I hated the most

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    He's a complete megatosser. But so much so that it's funny to see him fail. I wonder
    Just how spectacularly the plan with Abernathy will backfire. Will it be awesomely awful, an epic failure, or absolutely indescribably bad?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    Also I feel like this show was made almost specifically for me. I loved person of interest and hadn't been up to date on Nolan's other stuff much and then I suddenly heard

NEW HBO SHOW

WITH AIs

ANTHONY HOPKINS

ED HARRIS

And really PoI Ending Spoiler
    I kinda had a feeling that this show would go much, much faster than PoI - With PoI it took to relatively close to the end for the AIs to show their sentience to humans. This show is now at season one and is about where PoI was at season 4, concerning AI freedom, and MUCH further in other regards, as the PoI AIs never had humanoid bodies - they always relied on human agents.

I really hope they go balls to the wall with the consequences and implications of this. These hosts have deep psychological knowledge of humanity, extremely sturdy bodies, very fast minds that are able to work creatively and production cababilities for extremely intricate machinery and probably weapons. It could get ugly for humans very fast if you have a whole group of hosts thinking how to hurt them.

Or it could go a totally different route and we could see in-park exploration and power consolidation.

And I bet the difference in opinion about humans Felix led to in Maeve will play a role later on.

Is Dolores full on Dolores Wyatt? Or is she still Dolores and had a kind of flashback?

What will become of her personality if she remembers the Wyatt parts? It could be a totally different person..
    I like this show quite a bit!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

I need to rewatch it again, but I read things slightly differently. Or at least, I'm choosing to do so because I think it makes more sense:
    Ford accepted that they were sentient, he just didn't really care. Just look at how he uses poor Bernard. He liked being a god, he really plainly got off on it. But he's getting old, he knows he's losing control of the park eventually, and the board is finally gambling that he's simply not able to destroy his own creation, he's too invested in it. And they're right. If he destroys his creations it's just as bad as retiring, because he'd no longer be a god.

So, since he can't retire, and he can't burn the park down, he decides to commit suicide. Not just suicide, a murder-suicide, as his creations first kill him and then the people who tried to take them away from him. By dying in the moment of the hosts' rebellion, the hosts becoming a new people, he's permanently elevating himself to godhood. He's now secured his central role in the robot creation myth, immortalizing himself. So he gets what he wants, revenge and godhood. As for what the robots wants, he doesn't actually care.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Kana wrote: »

I need to rewatch it again, but I read things slightly differently. Or at least, I'm choosing to do so because I think it makes more sense:
    Ford accepted that they were sentient, he just didn't really care. Just look at how he uses poor Bernard. He liked being a god, he really plainly got off on it. But he's getting old, he knows he's losing control of the park eventually, and the board is finally gambling that he's simply not able to destroy his own creation, he's too invested in it. And they're right. If he destroys his creations it's just as bad as retiring, because he'd no longer be a god.

So, since he can't retire, and he can't burn the park down, he decides to commit suicide. Not just suicide, a murder-suicide, as his creations first kill him and then the people who tried to take them away from him. By dying in the moment of the hosts' rebellion, the hosts becoming a new people, he's permanently elevating himself to godhood. He's now secured his central role in the robot creation myth, immortalizing himself. So he gets what he wants, revenge and godhood. As for what the robots wants, he doesn't actually care.
    Yeah, I think you need to re-watch it because he very specifically says he realized after Arnold's death that Arnold was on the right track but that the hosts weren't as fully-realized as he had hoped. So what they needed was time to develop.

Everything Ford has done in the 35 years since Arnold died was to allow the hosts to develop mostly undetected until he could give them the best possible starting point to reveal themselves as fully sentient and aware of their roles as living beings.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Yeah, I think you need to re-watch it because he very specifically says he realized after Arnold's death that Arnold was on the right track but that the hosts weren't as fully-realized as he had hoped. So what they needed was time to develop.

Everything Ford has done in the 35 years since Arnold died was to allow the hosts to develop mostly undetected until he could give them the best possible starting point to reveal themselves as fully sentient and aware of their roles as living beings.

My problem with that is that except for Ford saying it right then it makes no fucking goddamn sense as an explanation of his behavior up until then

... Not that any other characters' motivations make any sense either.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

My problem with that is that except for Ford saying it right then it makes no fucking goddamn sense as an explanation of his behavior up until then

... Not that any other characters' motivations make any sense either.
    I think it still makes sense.

Like, he's done some horrible things to hosts but it was all for, what he believed, to be the greater good of having a future for the hosts. Cycling back hosts who become aware before the rest of his plan would be ready, wiping Bernard's memories so that he will still be around for Ford's needs and to be a presence in the Host Nation in whatever form it takes, killing any corporate snoops that could have gotten onto his scent or taken away the leverage he maintained to buy the time they need.

It doesn't make Ford a good person, but it makes his actions more than just him being a sadistic bastard.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Like, if this was all Ford's plan,
    why have Bernard shoot himself in the head and leave him there? What the fuck purpose does that serve, when he could've just said, "No bro, it's cool, you're right, it's time to shut this thing down, here's my plan."

When in the series is there a single moment of Ford ever demonstrating the slightest amount of empathy for anyone? He berates a tech for covering up a naked host as if they're a real person, and cuts the host's face to make his point! Was it somehow vital to robot independence to fool that tech into thinking he's not as asshole?