As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo Switch: March 2017

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Turns out Google is your friend.

http://amigobulls.com/stocks/NTDOY/balance-sheet/quarterly

Nintendo currently has $4.87 billion on hand, and in recent quarters that's fluctuated around the $5.42B to $4.25B.

BUT, that doesn't mean they can start spending like drunken sailors, because they've got stockholders to keep happy. And having to please stockholders is how they finally got over their aversion to mobile.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    And if you want to get REALLY persnickety, Nintendo's cash on hand isn't Scrooge McDuckian -- his net worth is $65.4 billion. :p

http://www.forbes.com/special-report/2013/fictional-15/scrooge-mcduck.html

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    WTF is Frog Factions 2? In fact, what is Frog Factions 1?

DMgtC8S.png

http://twinbeard.com/frog-fractions/

It's a thoroughly educational experience! Learn about all kinds of math!

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

DMgtC8S.png

I hear this all the time and I know it's false and that something happens in the game but I can never figure out if it's a huge troll to get people to play a shit game or not.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Dibby wrote: »

DMgtC8S.png

I hear this all the time and I know it's false and that something happens in the game but I can never figure out if it's a huge troll to get people to play a shit game or not.

well i guess there's only one way to find out!

:bzz:

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    Yeah, if you've got 20 minutes or so and access to sound, you may as well give it a whirl.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Cokomon wrote: »
    So current rumors have the NX announcement finally happening next week and we have a new official NX thread?

Coincidence? I think not.

Bobkins Flymo's uncle works at Nintendo.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    We are the uncle who works at Nintendo. We always knew. Our true forms always knew. That low-level anxiety we feel about the NX, that's our uncle sides trying desperately to reach us.

• QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yeah, if you've got 20 minutes or so and access to sound, you may as well give it a whirl.

Haha "twenty minutes"

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I used to work at Nintendo and people kept asking if they could call me my uncle. All starting to make sense now....

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjcV3MFXh1w

All aboard the rumor hype train! Choo-choo!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    A video about a tweet from a guy that says he may or may not be right.

Geeze.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    The internet is reaching peak thirst!

• BronzeKoopaBronzeKoopa Registered User regular
    It's gonna be a nintendo phone isn't it.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Have we ever had a hardware launch, ever, that is less than six months away, and absolutely nothing is known about the hardware? No marketing, no pictures, no info...nothing.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Have we ever had a hardware launch, ever, that is less than six months away, and absolutely nothing is known about the hardware? No marketing, no pictures, no info...nothing.

Hell, even The Phantom had more details haha.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular

There's that one coming next month

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    The Man from U.N.C.L.E. W.H.O. W.O.R.K.S. A.T. N.I.N.T.E.N.D.O.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I can't imagine people losing their minds over the NX reveal. If I had to guess from the rumors going around, it'll be a portable/home console hybrid with carts and XB1/PS4 power levels. Some fully featured online account system with saves, friend lists, and so forth. Basically a modernized version of the competing consoles.

That's not going to make people lose their shit. Nintendo people will be excited, but the other non-casual gamers will be like, "Eh, whatever." and not give it a second thought. I'd like to think that something else will be needed to hook consumers, that or a diverse, exclusive library and a low-entry price point.

Guess we'll have to keep waiting.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Of the plausible rumors, the handheld console hybrid has the most potential to excite I think. If its executed well.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    I'm honestly surprised Nintendo is even making a new console. Nintendo consoles have just become a vehicle to drive Nintendo properties, which they could do anywhere. Nintendo's big assets are Zelda, Mario, Smash Brothers, etc. They could release a toaster and if it had a new Mario and Zelda game it would move units. Even as disastrous as the WiiU was, it still moved units, and Nintendo first party stuff sold well.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I'm just waiting for it to be a VR thing.

Tablet device that is both mobile and a controller/gamepad AND can also be hooked into a special 'Nintendo strap' for VR. This is right up Nintendo's favorite thing to do.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I'm sure NX will have some sort of "hook" but I have to believe that whatever Nintendo tries to do it won't be VR because everyone else is already doing that. And unlike the Wii U gamepad I don't think the specific functionality will add a lot to the cost of the system, or be something the system couldn't stand alone without. The gamepad was an albatross and if I was in Nintendo's shoes I wouldn't want a repeat of the scenario where they can't cut the price without taking a big hit.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    I'm honestly surprised Nintendo is even making a new console. Nintendo consoles have just become a vehicle to drive Nintendo properties, which they could do anywhere. Nintendo's big assets are Zelda, Mario, Smash Brothers, etc. They could release a toaster and if it had a new Mario and Zelda game it would move units. Even as disastrous as the WiiU was, it still moved units, and Nintendo first party stuff sold well.

As crazy as this may sound, that's the opposite of how Nintendo sees their business model.

In Nintendo's model, they make all of their money from hardware, and they only produce software as a way of further pushing their hardware. This is part of the reason why Nintendo refuses to ever sell their hardware at a loss, which is why their consoles are always so expensive at launch.

But it's precisely because Nintendo follows this business model that we are able to get some of the more niche Nintendo properties that we've come to love. Normally a game needs to sell millions of copies in order to justify its expensive development cycle. But Nintendo doesn't care how many copies their games sell, they only care about whether the game makes the hardware look more attractive to some demographic who hasn't already bought into it yet. As a result, Nintendo can afford to much more experimental with their game design.

If Nintendo ever stopped selling hardware, it would force them to become much more guarded with their design. Every game would need to be a million-seller, so a lot of secondary Nintendo franchises would go the way of the dodo.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, can you imagine if they stopped making Metroid games? Yikes...!
    Sorry...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Sorry...

Well, most of them cleared a million sales, so they didn't really flop.

They aren't mints the way Mario games are though.

I can't imagine people losing their minds over the NX reveal. If I had to guess from the rumors going around, it'll be a portable/home console hybrid with carts and XB1/PS4 power levels. Some fully featured online account system with saves, friend lists, and so forth. Basically a modernized version of the competing consoles.

That's not going to make people lose their shit. Nintendo people will be excited, but the other non-casual gamers will be like, "Eh, whatever." and not give it a second thought. I'd like to think that something else will be needed to hook consumers, that or a diverse, exclusive library and a low-entry price point.

Wasn't there a rumor that it would be sub-XB1/PS4 power levels and not targeting AAA? If so, Nintendo really, really, REALLY needs to come up with some hook so that people don't see it simply as a portable that plugs into your TV. Because Vita.

Remember, Wii U was "it's a console that's also a tablet!" And look how that turned out.

Polaritie wrote: »
    Sorry...

Other M flopped enough (compared to expectations) to get discounted reeeeeeeally fast.

cloudeagle wrote: »
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Sorry...

Other M flopped enough (compared to expectations) to get discounted reeeeeeeally fast.

Relatively. It beat Zero Mission in the end, which is sad.

It may be a case of aiming too high or spending too much.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

9rulh4zjhhec.jpg

Wait, that looks like Number Munchers...

Anyway, I really don't care about the NX itself right now so much as I do Nintendo finally just saying ANYTHING about it already.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular

ahahhahaa

aaahhhhhh that was a good one

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I think the NX itself was a rumor that got out of hand. I don't think it actually exists. The Wii U will cease production next year, and the 3DS will quietly and gradually stop getting titles. We'll spend the next 2 years periodically asking when the NX announcement and launch will happen, until eventually we just stop asking the question.

• Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Several people on Twitter are claiming that the NX announcement (or maybe the announcement of the announcement) is imminent, likely this Thursday.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Tomorrow? At best we get an announcement of a future direct. I'm going to keep assuming absolutely nothing.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Gamexplain says they've verified it with a bunch of sources too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6IrOWSFNVE

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Damn, that'll teach me to waste time hunting down links to tweets.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • borschevskyborschevsky Registered User regular
    I will stake my credibility on a prediction of an announcement at 9:00 am Friday Japan time! 8:00 pm eastern.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
This discussion has been closed.