As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo Switch: March 2017

• Options
    Mr KhanMr Khan Not Everyone WAHHHRegistered User regular
    They do absurd caution because a lot of retailers (especially in the United Kingdom) got left holding the bag in a very bad way with Wii U.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Eh, Nintendo doesn't do artificial scarcity. They do almost absurd caution, since they hate the thought of stuff rotting on store shelves.

I doubt it's just them, they probably get plenty of pressure from retailers too, like "uh you saddled us with 30 units of this thing that isn't selling, just sitting on the shelf..."

I mean it's not like the Wal-Marts of the world have forgotten the Great Plastic Instrument Shelf Squat of the late 2000s, nor the Plastic Figurine Endcap Rot of the current era. They don't want a lot of stock either. Plus...maybe this is a little nefarious, but I'm sure they're happy to have customers visiting multiple times a week asking about a console they don't have in stock, just getting people in the door to buy something, anything.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    It certainly helps argue against the need to put hardware on sale.

Especially now, when the new model PS4, the PSFro, and the XB1S can all regularly be found on sale.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I dunno, we will see with Switch. I feel like Nintendo had much more confidence in it, enough that for once they may have actually manufactured "enough" (probably still short, but not NES Classic/amiibo numbers of low stock)

The benefit also is that Switch is meant to be a long term thing, so even if they overproduce they can spread that inventory over the lifespan of the console to compensate.

This is just me spitballing though. It's entirely possible Nintendo will pull a dumb again.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Please, please don't be dumb Nintendo. I'm really tired of not being able to give you my money.

Speaking of which, are NES CEs still ridiculously stupid to get a hold of?

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Nintendo is supposed to make an announcement about the switch tonight.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I bet they can strike a deal with Amazon... Oh wait no they can't. Aren't Nintendo and Amazon still fighting?

I guess they could call up Microsoft.

They're happy to sell software and Amibos themselves, but a quick check shows they still don't sell the hardware themselves.

Goddammit. I'm going to have to get in line at Gamestop, aren't I?

Wait... we're not going to be able to pre-order on Amazon?

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Nintendo is supposed to make an announcement about the switch tonight.

Thank you. I'm surprised no one is talking about that in this thread.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I bet they can strike a deal with Amazon... Oh wait no they can't. Aren't Nintendo and Amazon still fighting?

They're happy to sell software and Amibos themselves, but a quick check shows they still don't sell the hardware themselves.

You can't even buy a WiiU or 3DS on Amazon.

• Options
    edited January 2017

Not sure but Amazon has had a weird feud with Nintendo for years.

Like, since the DS Lite hinge crack, I think. People complained and/or sent them back to Amazon and some kind of complication happened...maybe Nintendo told them "no, those people should've sent them directly to us, not you, now we won't accept them" or something. Since then Amazon has hated Nintendo and doesn't sell their consoles directly and does stuff like putting up marketing checkbox sheets that show how PSP is way better than DS, and the DS page is left a short plaintext blurb.

Or stuff like this. It's kind of mystifying.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Speaking of which, are NES CEs still ridiculously stupid to get a hold of?
    yes they are.

plus people figured out how to stuff more roms into them. so maybe now further stock will be delayed to patch out the security hole (if they even make more at all)

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I'm super excited for tonight. My expectations for Nintendo is just show games I want to play. They have already proven that they will with the new Mario and Zelda. Anything else is just icing on the cake.

I will say that I really hope they do have an account structure down this time around. Also please don't pull a Sony and lock away any digital games I bought on the previous system. That was my biggest gripe about the PS4. I'll even be willing to pay the transfer fee again to have them on the Switch. Also, if they are porting Xenoblade X like was mentioned, I really hope they give you a way to transfer the game save from the Wii U. Having it portable though, would be amazing.

My predictions:

SSB Switch announced and one new character (Inkling) shown off in its own trailer.
    The new Mario is shown to have a hub world similar to Galaxy to traverse.
    Mother 3 localized and shown off. Mother trilogy physical release announced. (I am allowed to dream)
    and my wild and crazy prediction - Star Tropics developed by Retro is announced.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Amazon has been selling 3DS hardware again for a while now.

they're not selling any right now, but that's because you can't buy one anywhere atm

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

WTF?

In the future, this kind of info should be in an OP. I asked my family to give me Amazon fun bucks for Christmas because I thought I could pre-order directly through Amazon, like with everything else on the fucking planet.

• Options
    With the strange 3DS shortage happening right now, I'm really glad I grabbed the Galaxy 3DS when I did because it is one of the prettiest handhelds I've ever had. :biggrin:

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Retro's been reeeeeeeeeal quiet since DKC Tropical Freeze hit in 2014. Early 2014. I know game development takes longer nowadays but we're overdue for an announcement.

Maybe they're the one with the mythical new IP?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Are we all going to have our pre-order trigger fingers ready?

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular

WTF?

In the future, this kind of info should be in an OP. I asked my family to give me Amazon fun bucks for Christmas because I thought I could pre-order directly through Amazon, like with everything else on the fucking planet.

Use it to buy the controllers/games.

It's possible they will sell the Switch. They sold the NES Classic.

• Options
    Yea, Nintendo/Amazon relations seems to have been better recently with the Amiibo/NES Classic/3DS all having been available on the site.

So the Switch might be orderable now on Amazon. We'll see.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular

Not sure but Amazon has had a weird feud with Nintendo for years.

Like, since the DS Lite hinge crack, I think. People complained and/or sent them back to Amazon and some kind of complication happened...maybe Nintendo told them "no, those people should've sent them directly to us, not you, now we won't accept them" or something. Since then Amazon has hated Nintendo and doesn't sell their consoles directly and does stuff like putting up marketing checkbox sheets that show how PSP is way better than DS, and the DS page is left a short plaintext blurb.

Or stuff like this. It's kind of mystifying.

If you check it out now, they no longer advertise for other systems right on the same page like they did before. However, Amazon themselves do not sell any of the Nintendo consoles - they do sell the games though. They don't have a pre-order page for the Switch, just an option to be emailed when it's available. Most likely just like other stores. Would be nice if Amazon played nice with them.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Hope the leaked games are real

And that Nintendo aren't jerks and will release Monster Hunter XX in the west relatively close to Japan's release date. It was, what , fucking eight months gap last time?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    I am pretty sure Amazon and Nintendo finally made up. They do sell Nintendo consoles now. For awhile though, yeah, Amazon was super pissed at them to the point they were suggesting competitor consoles on the pages for Nintendo software.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I am pretty sure Amazon and Nintendo finally made up. They do sell Nintendo consoles now. For awhile though, yeah, Amazon was super pissed at them to the point they were suggesting competitor consoles on the pages for Nintendo software.

Which always struck me as just childish vindictiveness bordering on the pathetic. Just don't sell the system if it's that important to you.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    There are plenty of compelling reasons to make peace with a retailer that is large enough that building up their own logistics network is more economical than using UPS and FedEx.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Amazon's pretty notorious for doing stuff like this to get various companies to bend to their whims. There was that big fight with Machete that blew up in their face, for instance.

I'm still a little concerned since Amazon's not selling the Wii U either, then again it's no longer being manufactured. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    94805DCE-503D-4E86-BA59-C11D6C1447F8_zps3luhn6qt.png

That's one optimistic email Nintendo UK. You know, I think I'll live with catching the after action report on this one.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

That's one optimistic email Nintendo UK. You know I think I'll live with catching the after action report on this one.

yeah i've been thinking the same thing myself. i'm all for getting hyped and staying up to watch these things, but 4am is just silly. then again the way i've been sleeping lately i may very well still be away at that point anyway so...

• Options
    Amazon's pretty notorious for doing stuff like this to get various companies to bend to their whims. There was that big fight with Machete that blew up in their face, for instance.

I'm still a little concerned since Amazon's not selling the Wii U either, then again it's no longer being manufactured. Guess we'll have to see what happens.

My gut feeling is the dispute was settled too late. By the time they made up, Wii U was pretty much dead so it would have felt weird to suddenly stock a thing that wasn't going to sell anyways. I think if Nintendo had issued a more special bundle (i.e. Something like the 3DS models that had a different color or decal rather than just bundling different games) Amazon might have stocked this as it would be considered a "new" item.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Wraith260 wrote: »

That's one optimistic email Nintendo UK. You know I think I'll live with catching the after action report on this one.

yeah i've been thinking the same thing myself. i'm all for getting hyped and staying up to watch these things, but 4am is just silly. then again the way i've been sleeping lately i may very well still be away at that point anyway so...

That'll teach you to be British. With your TEA and your BIG BENS and CHIPS and BISCUITS and LIFTS and your superfluous 'u's. You people make me sick. Meanwhile, I get to watch it at a comfy 9 P.M.

Zython on
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    Zython wrote: »
    Wraith260 wrote: »

That'll teach you to be British. With your TEA and your BIG BENS and CHIPS and BISCUITS and LIFTS and your superfluous 'u's. You people make me sick. Meanwhile, I get to watch it at a comfy 9 P.M.

americafuckyeah.jpg

Seriously, sorry you guys got screwed over. Again.

• Options
    Yeah, all us lucky US people who get to watch from like 9 to midnight, and immediately have to go to sleep, therefore missing the crucial 8 hours following when all the preorders will be opened and snapped up. Oh joy.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

That's one optimistic email Nintendo UK. You know, I think I'll live with catching the after action report on this one.

Why the hell is that email in your trash?! SHAME!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    Yeah, all us lucky US people who get to watch from like 9 to midnight, and immediately have to go to sleep, therefore missing the crucial 8 hours following when all the preorders will be opened and snapped up. Oh joy.

Do we have a good idea of how long this is gonna be

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options

Well at least one Amazon will stock it...

• Options
    BlueBlue wrote: »

Do we have a good idea of how long this is gonna be

Looks to be about an hour.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    With the scalping that goes on with these things companies should just put up the initial stock on ebay and keep raising the price until demand stops. Then at least the company would get some of that money instead of scalpers.

Also, going to bed right after doesn't seem to be too bad given I expect pre-orders to disappear within 0.5s after they open. So I won't have to fight for 3 hours to get my spot. I just won't have one until June.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I just had a dream where I played the Switch at a Target kiosk

Well

In my dream they said it was a Switch, but the controller was kind of a monstrosity and shaped like one of those lopsided third party N64 controllers but felt pretty fine in the hand

I had to sign a paper that basically said "don't talk about this on the internet" and then I picked up the controller and it let me pick beteeen two games: MARIO (Working Title) and Perfect Dark: GameCubinum Gold Gundition. While I was curious what the fuck THAT was about, I obviously picked Mario

The title card that listed Nintendo as publisher was held up by Sonic and I was like "well okay, that's kinda brazen" but what really got to me was the menu music. I knew I'd heard this before, and then it hit me: this is the main menu music from the original Spyro the Dragon. Wait how did that happen? Ah, yeah, they totally had that Skylanders deal with the amiibo, I bet they're really friendly with Activision now

I pressed A to start and got dropped into a level that looked like...I'm not sure how to describe it. Sort of Lake Hylia in Twilight Princess-ish? But with a big pyramid structure rising out of the center and lots of platforms with enemies surrounding it. The enemies seemed to be electrical in nature, not something you should jump on, but Mario had his whole Galaxy moveset minus the spin

While scaling one side of the pyramid there was a floating penguin just hovering in mid-air so I grabbed it. That slightly filled a horizontal meter on top of the screen, and it said "Dr. Robotnik's Penguins: 1 of 32 Found." Then the guy running the kiosk behind me mentioned to the line of people that anyone familiar with games like Sunshine or Galaxy knows what this means, that finding the penguins was the goal of this particular run to get one of 120 stars, but that I'd be returning to the level

The game mostly ran fine at a smooth 60, but had some weird hiccups when I would do the long jump, and I just figured "well it's pre-release." I eventually found this pneumatic tube looking dealie near one of the river banks and went toward it and it sucked me under the nearby mountain to another section entirely that looked like one of the casino levels in 3D World, complete with similar platforming segments. I tried out this bit and fell to my death, and the rep grabbed the controller away from me and yelled "Next!" and I was like "man fuck that waiver I'm gonna tell everyone about this"

And then I woke up and for a split second thought it was real but then, oh yeah, most of that makes no sense and also I'm in bed and I've seen the Switch controller and that's all false

Tonight needs to get here fast

Why would you even get out of bed, ever, with dreams like that? Reality doesn't hold a candle to your absurd spirit quest fever dreams

The above reads like Stefon from SNL doing Mad Libs at E3

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    I wonder if they could do something like the VR pre-orders, where you could *place* one, and it'd tell you what wave/shipment it'd be expected to arrive in.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Looks like Wal-Mart's system is set to start accepting pre-orders at 9AM PST tomorrow morning.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I wonder if they could do something like the VR pre-orders, where you could *place* one, and it'd tell you what wave/shipment it'd be expected to arrive in.

That would be preferred. Let me give you my credit card. Then just tell me when it ships and charge it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
This discussion has been closed.