As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Not [Chat]Some Enough

19495969798100»

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I contributed to both Hillary and Trump from my work computer just because I can.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    P10 wrote: »
    i have contacted SAS support about something
    my expectations for the assistance they'll provide are rock bottom
    No, P10, the British special air service will not "light a fire under Trump's ass." We have washed our hands of the prodigal son that is American democracy.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    no,
    SAS (Statistical Analysis System)[1] is a software suite developed by SAS Institute for advanced analytics, multivariate analyses, business intelligence, data management, and predictive analytics.

sounds sassy

• Options
    cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    fRUc6ob.jpg

I really like the DK / Ludious figure on the right there. They really nailed it.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    I mean I'm using a mail in ballot cause pfffffff.

But I wonder how strict those campaigning at the poll station rules are.

They made me take off an obama button on my back pack in 2012 I left on by accident.

Well sure, that's pretty blatant.

But what if you had a purple shirt on that just said "Ohbummer" or something? How close to the line do they let you get? Am I allowed to wear a blue shirt and blue jeans and blue socks and paint my face blue? If not, why not?

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    fRUc6ob.jpg

of course Animal is a beast man

uhh that's Sweetums you fake muppets girl

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    PantsB wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Bogart wrote: »
    Did SCII just have its player base eaten away by other games?
    Mostly LoL.

Brood War was a popular competitive game because it was extremely high skill cap, and I believe had absolutely no randomness in it. SCII followed in these footsteps, although when SCII was released - at the highest level of play - it apparently wasn't quite the same as Brood War? I'm not sure if that was a balance issue or what, exactly, just that the top players mentioned it felt slightly different to BW.

Anyway, Brood War dominated gaming 'bangs' which are LANs/netCafes, probably the most common way to partake in gaming in Korea. That's basically the springboard that enabled it to be an eSport, and America to also participate occasionally, keeping it relevant far longer than any other game barring the CounterStrike franchise.

So SCII, Wings of Liberty gets released mid-2010, and generally cannibalises most of the Brood War playerbase. Almost all pros, Korean and otherwise, make the transition (moreso at home than at bangs, but it still makes a decent showing at bangs). LoL had actually been released almost a year beforehand, but wasn't at its behemoth stage yet; it was still competing with HoN as a relatively unknown title. As far as I remember, SCII competitive scene continued to dominate up until at least 2011/2, and the best SCII streamers could just about make a living livestreaming it (and this was before livestreaming was as big as it is now).

But at some point after the 2011 World Championships of LoL, it started making its way into Korea in a big way. I'm not sure exactly when it was released (it may have been released earlier than an actual Korean client version was produced in 2011), but apparently by March 2012 it had become the #1 game in Korean bangs (recently, Overwatch took this title away). Competitively, there's a TV network in Korea dedicated to eSports called OGN, which fostered StarCraft for a long time, but also started taking LoL under its wing when it arrived in Korea.

From this point on, it's a slow decline for SCII. Streaming takes off, and LoL is much easier to watch than SC. I think by the time HotS, the second SCII expansion came out, a lot of people had cooled off from it a lot. LoL streamers basically take over livestream sites such as justin.tv and own3d.tv, which eventually become Twitch. At this point I'd stopped paying much attention to SCII, but I was vaguely aware of a few people like day9 still able to keep decent numbers while streaming.

There's a bigger picture about RTS design, but I'm not sure how much that factors into it. However, LoL exceeded pretty much every record for gaming numbers from around 2012 onwards, and is very much king of eSports, although CounterStrike continues to hold the FPS throne (I am curious if Rainbow 6 might stand a chance at displacing it).
    In the West the problem is it has a very high and harsh skill curve. I have 6K+ SCII ladder matches under my belt. I haven't played more than a dozen games in a year and I could still very easily beat a new player without trying. And I was only diamond (top 25%) at my peak. If I jumped on the ladder tonight I'd definitely be in the bottom half of players and it would take me a while to even approach what I'd consider respectable.

And while you might get lucky in some games and win against better players, that rarely happens in SCII. Variable was like half a league better than me when I was at my peak (high diamond/low masters vs low/mid diamond) at he'd beat me like 8 out of 10 times even though PvT was my best matchup. And players a league below me I could beat like that and players a league above Vari would beat him like that.

So when you try to play, you immediately get whomped and you have no idea how the other guy had so much stuff so fast. And then again and then again and then you quit because this game is stupid. Or you keep playing and work really hard and still only win 50% of your games because the ladder algorithm is pretty damn good. Its not relaxing, its a challenge and many people don't want that in a game.

Also part of this is RTS competitive is 1v1. That is the peak of skill. Like chess it is all about you as an individual. There is no one able to carry you. All the faults of the loss are on you. And for a lot of people that makes it more stressful. You can't rage at bad team members. You can't keep the false perspective of its never me its everyone else. I am in ELO hell because I am pulled down by the bads. Things people say to themselves all the time.

I was low diamond when I played a lot of SC2 multiplayer. To improve was a time sink. Watching replays. Improving by a fraction of a second my build timing. Knowing my movements and maps better than I did from the start. Reading through patch notes. Holding at minimum 3 plans at a time in my head.

SC2 is and SC:BW and most RTS in a multiplayer competitive setting are hard. Super hard. And the moving parts require a lot more effort than any MOBA. And since it is always on just you as a player I don't think people want that as a majority anymore. LoL, DoTA, HoTS, Overwatch, and a list of other games let people play competitively but able to shift blame onto others as well. Hearthstone just lets you shift it to the RNG.

been at work so I am just reading this now

it really amazes me that people would rather get mad at other folks (or however you want to frame it) than themselves. I mean, I play hearthstone a bunch and I absolutely agree it affects me differently than starcraft does (I do still play sc2 but it's very demanding) so I realize that team games must offer something that I just personally don't want.

but why would you ever want to set yourself up to 'blame' teammates, specifically since you can't make them improve. just seems like torture to me.

I realize there's a million other reasons people make these choices, to be clear, but since I'm responding to a post that focused a lot on that aspect I thought it was worth focusing on.

Because transferal of blame is a common way for people to avoid self reflection or self anger due to poor performance. It wasn't my fault, it was someone else's. People do this not just in games but with a lot of different parts of life. It protects the bubble of ego people develop. 1v1 games don't let you do that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Mostly LoL.

Brood War was a popular competitive game because it was extremely high skill cap, and I believe had absolutely no randomness in it. SCII followed in these footsteps, although when SCII was released - at the highest level of play - it apparently wasn't quite the same as Brood War? I'm not sure if that was a balance issue or what, exactly, just that the top players mentioned it felt slightly different to BW.

Anyway, Brood War dominated gaming 'bangs' which are LANs/netCafes, probably the most common way to partake in gaming in Korea. That's basically the springboard that enabled it to be an eSport, and America to also participate occasionally, keeping it relevant far longer than any other game barring the CounterStrike franchise.

So SCII, Wings of Liberty gets released mid-2010, and generally cannibalises most of the Brood War playerbase. Almost all pros, Korean and otherwise, make the transition (moreso at home than at bangs, but it still makes a decent showing at bangs). LoL had actually been released almost a year beforehand, but wasn't at its behemoth stage yet; it was still competing with HoN as a relatively unknown title. As far as I remember, SCII competitive scene continued to dominate up until at least 2011/2, and the best SCII streamers could just about make a living livestreaming it (and this was before livestreaming was as big as it is now).

But at some point after the 2011 World Championships of LoL, it started making its way into Korea in a big way. I'm not sure exactly when it was released (it may have been released earlier than an actual Korean client version was produced in 2011), but apparently by March 2012 it had become the #1 game in Korean bangs (recently, Overwatch took this title away). Competitively, there's a TV network in Korea dedicated to eSports called OGN, which fostered StarCraft for a long time, but also started taking LoL under its wing when it arrived in Korea.

From this point on, it's a slow decline for SCII. Streaming takes off, and LoL is much easier to watch than SC. I think by the time HotS, the second SCII expansion came out, a lot of people had cooled off from it a lot. LoL streamers basically take over livestream sites such as justin.tv and own3d.tv, which eventually become Twitch. At this point I'd stopped paying much attention to SCII, but I was vaguely aware of a few people like day9 still able to keep decent numbers while streaming.

There's a bigger picture about RTS design, but I'm not sure how much that factors into it. However, LoL exceeded pretty much every record for gaming numbers from around 2012 onwards, and is very much king of eSports, although CounterStrike continues to hold the FPS throne (I am curious if Rainbow 6 might stand a chance at displacing it).
    In the West the problem is it has a very high and harsh skill curve. I have 6K+ SCII ladder matches under my belt. I haven't played more than a dozen games in a year and I could still very easily beat a new player without trying. And I was only diamond (top 25%) at my peak. If I jumped on the ladder tonight I'd definitely be in the bottom half of players and it would take me a while to even approach what I'd consider respectable.

And while you might get lucky in some games and win against better players, that rarely happens in SCII. Variable was like half a league better than me when I was at my peak (high diamond/low masters vs low/mid diamond) at he'd beat me like 8 out of 10 times even though PvT was my best matchup. And players a league below me I could beat like that and players a league above Vari would beat him like that.

So when you try to play, you immediately get whomped and you have no idea how the other guy had so much stuff so fast. And then again and then again and then you quit because this game is stupid. Or you keep playing and work really hard and still only win 50% of your games because the ladder algorithm is pretty damn good. Its not relaxing, its a challenge and many people don't want that in a game.

Also part of this is RTS competitive is 1v1. That is the peak of skill. Like chess it is all about you as an individual. There is no one able to carry you. All the faults of the loss are on you. And for a lot of people that makes it more stressful. You can't rage at bad team members. You can't keep the false perspective of its never me its everyone else. I am in ELO hell because I am pulled down by the bads. Things people say to themselves all the time.

I was low diamond when I played a lot of SC2 multiplayer. To improve was a time sink. Watching replays. Improving by a fraction of a second my build timing. Knowing my movements and maps better than I did from the start. Reading through patch notes. Holding at minimum 3 plans at a time in my head.

SC2 is and SC:BW and most RTS in a multiplayer competitive setting are hard. Super hard. And the moving parts require a lot more effort than any MOBA. And since it is always on just you as a player I don't think people want that as a majority anymore. LoL, DoTA, HoTS, Overwatch, and a list of other games let people play competitively but able to shift blame onto others as well. Hearthstone just lets you shift it to the RNG.

it really amazes me that people would rather get mad at other folks (or however you want to frame it) than themselves. I mean, I play hearthstone a bunch and I absolutely agree it affects me differently than starcraft does (I do still play sc2 but it's very demanding) so I realize that team games must offer something that I just personally don't want.

but why would you ever want to set yourself up to 'blame' teammates, specifically since you can't make them improve. just seems like torture to me.

I realize there's a million other reasons people make these choices, to be clear, but since I'm responding to a post that focused a lot on that aspect I thought it was worth focusing on.

Because transferal of blame is a common way for people to avoid self reflection or self anger due to poor performance. It wasn't my fault, it was someone else's. People do this not just in games but with a lot of different parts of life. It protects the bubble of ego people develop. 1v1 games don't let you do that.
    yeah it's pretty brutal and disheartening

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Mostly LoL.

Well let's be honest, a poor performer can absolutely tank a solid team and strategy.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    Honk wrote: »
    We've handed people over to the CIA which were then taken away on private planes to torture or isolation in sponsored states such as Mubarak Egypt. Those cases became known thanks to investigative journalism and heavily criticized and in those cases they were able to be performed because those were not famous people.

There is literally no chance this can happen to Assange.

Which leaves the other option, which is a regular extradition. Which we generally don't do since we don't trust your legal system and you have capital punishment. So he's at no risk for that either.

The single way he could end up in US custody is if the US thought it worth shedding all political relations with Sweden and snatching him off the street at gunpoint. Which of course isn't a possibility either. He must understand this, and is just using fear of the US as an excuse to not be investigated for sexual assault.

Assange is a bad person and a coward.

He is under no threat of capital punishment either.

Federal law only enforces that for murder or treason. Neither he can be charged with.

Isolation would count as inhumane treatment, he's certainly in risk of that looking at people he's been involved with.

Gitmo is also always a thing, they'd no doubt take that into consideration too. People sit there for decades without charge.

Gitmo is marked as gray area legality since it isn't US soil. Really it isn't legal and should of never existed. And through the actions of the Bush administration a lot of the folks who should be on trial will never be on trial properly because they were tortured.

Isolation is also unlikely as a full time punishment in the federal prison unless he is marked as a danger to himself or others.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I just got a call from my recruiter for another possible job. This would be closer to my house too.

Don't know much about the company though other than some basics, but it looks like it would be more of a management role.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    Mostly LoL.

yeah it's pretty brutal and disheartening

dude just street fight me and build your confidence back up

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Also I should get the next chat because I'm super likeable.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Prepare your animes

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Prepare your animes

Way ahead of you, desc-chan

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Geth please save us we are prisoners of our own anime

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Also I should get the next chat because I'm super likeable.

if I get it you can take it

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Grape Ape = cat abuse

• Options
    You guys want wilderness survival chat or off grid living chat?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    original.gif

classic

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Hey [chat], how's it... *gets cut off by page 100*

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    This thread is no longer active, and will be recycled.
    On average, this thread was zooming by at warp 3.7

@TL DR will create the new thread
    @Hakkekage is backup

This discussion has been closed.