As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Science] A thread of good guesses, bad guesses and telling the difference.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Mortious wrote: »
    This sounds big?

It certainly could be but I think it depends on what the organics actually are

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    The list of speakers strongly suggests they've identified something neat with an exoplanet's atmosphere.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    This sounds big?

It certainly could be but I think it depends on what the organics actually are

Right. Organic compounds are basically anything that contains carbon, so don't get your hopes up that "organic" implies life.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    The announcement will be "we have found X new exoplanets, Y are Earth size, Z are in their host star's habitable zone."

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Pretty sure it'll be more specific than that. That kind of X/Y/Z announcement stopped being press conference-worthy awhile ago; we're up to almost 4,000 known exoplanets now.

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    "We totally found a way better version of earth and they said we can all totally crash at their place for a while."

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    "We totally found a way better version of earth and they said we can all totally crash at their place for a while."

"But not you. No - you're okay. You."

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The Dragon has had a bit of a GPS hiccup.
    SpaceX’s Dragon supply ship, loaded with nearly 5,500 pounds of cargo and experiments, aborted an approach to the International Space Station on Wednesday after encountering a problem in its GPS navigation system.

The gumdrop-shaped, solar-powered spacecraft was about 1,200 feet, or 365 meters, from the space station when it automatically bailed out of the rendezvous, escaping the immediate vicinity of the research outpost as its safety system intended and setting up for another approach as soon as Thursday.

NASA said SpaceX’s mission director at the Dragon control center in Hawthorne, California, reported the aborted rendezvous at 3:25 a.m. EST (0825 GMT) when the spacecraft ran into trouble processing GPS navigation data.

“The SpaceX engineers are tracing this issue to an incorrect value that was detected in the spacecraft’s Relative Global Positioning System hardware, which basically tells Dragon’s computers, for its burn plan, where it is in the sky relative to the International Space Station,” said Rob Navias, a NASA spokesperson providing commentary on NASA TV.

“Dragon itself is in excellent shape,” Navias added. “Its Global Positioning System hardware is also in excellent shape.”

The Dragon spacecraft’s navigation system works by comparing position data derived from the GPS satellites to determine the range, direction and closing rate between the visiting supply ship and the space station.

Once the cargo craft gets closer to the complex, the navigation system switches to inputs from a pulsed laser ranging instrument and a thermal camera to determine how far Dragon is from the space station.

The rendezvous is fully automated, with the exception of some manual abort, retreat and hold commands.

“SpaceX mission officials are fully confident that that issue can be mitigated, and that the spacecraft can be protected from an incorrect value during the re-rendezvous attempt on Thursday morning,” Navias said. “That will allow Dragon to safely approach the station for a grapple and a berthing to the Earth-facing port on the Harmony module.”
    http://spaceflightnow.com/2017/02/22/spacex-waves-off-space-station-cargo-delivery-for-at-least-a-day/

Fortunately, Progress also launched successfully today, so all is well in the Space Truckin' industry. :)

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Honestly, "slightly too aggressive emergency abort protocols" is something I am totally okay with when it comes to robotic spacecraft docking with manned vessels.

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Honestly, "slightly too aggressive emergency abort protocols" is something I am totally okay with when it comes to robotic spacecraft docking with manned vessels.

yes better to wave off and not dock than to YOLO and damage the station.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »

yes better to wave off and not dock than to YOLO and damage the station.

Now is not the time for caution

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    I missed the NASA press conference

What was it about? :bigfrown: I wanna know!

• Options
    edited February 2017
    You missed the first few minutes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdmHHpAsMVw

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    The headline I found was

7 Earth-Like Planets Discovered Orbiting Star 39 Light-Years away

They are all in the liquid water zone.

Caedwyr on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Ultra cool red dwarfs are nifty.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
  • Options
    Dac wrote: »
    Ultra cool red dwarfs are ultra cool.

They're self-labeled.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    The headline I found was

:( and almoat certainly tidally locked. which maybe makes life harder.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    redx wrote: »
    The headline I found was

There would be no seasons but it also would probably have to worry less about temperature fluctuations. Assuming the temperature differential doesn't cause too extreme weather I don't think it would matter

• Options
    edited February 2017
    The headline I found was

There would be no seasons but it also would probably have to worry less about temperature fluctuations. Assuming the temperature differential doesn't cause too extreme weather I don't think it would matter

there would be no night and day. one side getting constantly cooked, the other frozen and never seeing the sun.

you'd get an evening ring that's temperate and maybe mostly out of the solar wind.

weather would be...strange.

I doubt they have moons, so no tides. and tidal zones are possibly good for getting life going. deep sea currents would be wierd for the same reasons the weather would be odd.

shrug. it is neat as hell. makes a great scifi settings.

redx on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Ultra cool red dwarfs are nifty.

It would make that system super interesting to visit because the planets all basically are what in our system would be mercury's orbit. From each planet you would be able to see one or more of the other planets like we can see our moon.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    The headline I found was

there would be no night and day. one side getting constantly cooked, the other frozen and never seeing the sun.

you'd get an evening ring that's temperate and maybe mostly out of the solar wind.

I doubt they have moons, so no tides. and tidal zones are possibly good for getting life going. deep sea currents would be wierd for the same reasons the weather would be odd.

Tilt determines temperature more than rotation, though.

The dark side would probably be fucked (for a while, anyway) because no photosynthesis, but the light side would likely be fine. And organisms might adapt to using a different energy source to conquer the dark side after enough successive generations.

If intelligent life with complex hands arises, the dark side becomes no challenge at all to inhabit.

At 39 LY out, though, we'll probably never know. Stupid distances in space.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »
    The headline I found was

Tilt determines temperature more than rotation, though.

The dark side would probably be fucked (for a while, anyway) because no photosynthesis, but the light side would likely be fine. And organisms might adapt to using a different energy source to

please supply evidence that shows you are not completely wrong.

• Options
    The headline I found was

Cooked by a much weaker star - and all that does is change where the magic range of liquid water exists, not remove it entirely. A further out orbit isn't going to change the temperature of the dark side but will reduce the intensity of the sunny side

Water currents will likely be very weird, possibly barely existent. I wonder if it would have plate tectonics and if the landmass would congregate on the sun-side over time to minimize gravitational potential

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Does being tidally locked imply that the axis of rotation for the satellite is perpendicular to the plane of its orbit?

discrider on
  • Options
    discrider wrote: »
    Does being tidally locked imply that the axis of rotation for the satellite is perpendicular to the plane of its orbit?

yes

• Options
    How would being tidally locked affect cloud cover? Like, would it be possible to set up arrays of solar collectors on the daylight side and have power all day erry day?

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

Pretty sure that's yes. My brain breaks a bit thinking about how that'd work if it isn't.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    The headline I found was

If the planet had an atmosphere, you would have severe atmospheric effects caused by the temperature difference between the light and dark sides. Convection currents that cause a perpetual category 5 hurricane would make developing complex life forms much more difficult.

An alien species capable of space flight might be able to colonize such a planet, but I don't think a native species could develop space flight.

• Options

Pretty sure that's yes. My brain breaks a bit thinking about how that'd work if it isn't.

the direction the plant orbits about sticks straight up out of the plane which it orbits about the sun.

the period of the orbit and rotation are the same.

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    The headline I found was

If the planet had an atmosphere, you would have severe atmospheric effects caused by the temperature difference between the light and dark sides. Convection currents that cause a perpetual category 5 hurricane would make developing complex life forms much more difficult.

An alien species capable of space flight might be able to colonize such a planet, but I don't think a native species could develop space flight.

I don't know if it would necessarily be that extreme. There would be a minimum temperature from warm side air + internal heat. The arctic here receives nearly zero solar input for several months from a combination of high albedo snow/ice and tilt and while it's not half the planet, it's also a non-trivial area

• Options
    Heffling wrote: »
    The headline I found was

like the fuckall Coriolis effect wouldn't screw with the creation of cyclonic storms much would it?

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    From NASA's instagram story feed today:
    8JQTtE7.jpg

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    One thing that has been puzzling me about this. All the art/renderings/visuals show the star low on the horizon. If they were tidally locked, it would basically be noon with the sun at its zenith at all times, right?

• Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    One thing that has been puzzling me about this. All the art/renderings/visuals show the star low on the horizon. If they were tidally locked, it would basically be noon with the sun at its zenith at all times, right?

It's tidally locked, so the sun will rise or fall on the horizon based on where you are on the planet. So if you're on the edge between the face directed towards the sun and the face directed away, then the sun will be low in the sky.

This is also the theoretically ideal place to find life or to live on a tidally locked planet. On the thin line between where it's too hot and where it's too cold, it will be windy, but the temperature could be relatively livable.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

That would depend on where you are on the planet

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Dedwrekka wrote: »

It's tidally locked, so the sun will rise or fall on the horizon based on where you are on the planet. So if you're on the edge between the face directed towards the sun and the face directed away, then the sun will be low in the sky.

This is also the theoretically ideal place to find life or to live on a tidally locked planet. On the thin line between where it's too hot and where it's too cold, it will be windy, but the temperature could be relatively livable.

"It will be windy" is probably the understatement of the decade.

• Options
    edited February 2017

Need to change your phrasing there because the sun doesn't rise or fall on a tidally locked planet. It's position will differ depending on where you are standing on the planet, but it'll never move from that position.

SiliconStew on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular

Need to change your phrasing there because the sun doesn't rise or fall on a tidally locked planet. It's position will differ depending on where you are standing on the planet, but it'll never move from that position.

It's a sphere. Where the sun is in relation to the horizon depends on where you are and how you are moving in relation to how the planet is rotating.
    Let's say vertex A is the position closest to the sun on the planet and vertex b is the position furthest from the sun on the planet. A will always be pointing at the sun, and B will always be pointing away.

But if you start at A and walk towards B, at some point the sun will begin to dip towards the horizon as you get closer to B until it falls completely below the horizon.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    This makes me want a VR model of what it might look like to stand on one (or all) of these planets.

Plus, you know, VR gear to run it on.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
This discussion has been closed.