As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Holy shirt this season finale!!

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Seriously that was the best
    twist

I've seen on TV in a long long time.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Wow that was really well done. I don't know what it is with this show. Every commercial I see for it makes me think it's the worst show ever...but when I catch it on TV I think it's great. The twist was perfect.

camo_sig2.png
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    So the Good Place was
    a nice place to visit.

• Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Seriously that was the best
    twist

I've seen on TV in a long long time.

Looking forward to the possibility of more
    evil, duplicitous Ted Danson

...if it gets renewed. Come on, NBC, don't leave us hanging here...

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Ted Danson has a crazy smile.

For a moment, I thought it was a CGI effect.

If the show doesn't get renewed then
    this finale would be super dark since it would imply that this is just one instance of an endless cycle where their memories are constantly being erased whenever they figure out that they're in the bad place so they could experience different variations of this scenario for all eternity.

edited January 2017
    this finale would be super dark since it would imply that this is just one instance of an endless cycle where their memories are constantly being erased whenever they figure out that they're in the bad place so they could experience different variations of this scenario for all eternity.

I actually thought for a bit that
    when they kept mentioning the 1000 years Michael had to prove his plan that there was going to be a reveal that this actually hadn't been the first time and the 4 characters had actually already spent several (hundred) years looping.

Great bit of foreshadowing that I almost thought was a mistake originally:
    in the opening scene of fake Eleanor's death, real Eleanor wasn't seen at all.

Captain Tragedy on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Chidi's arc in this episode annoyed the shit out of me. Someone that indecisive can not be a functioning adult; how was he even able to dress himself in the morning, let alone have a job and be married?

Do you retroactively feel better about this?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Seriously this last episode was amazing.

Changed the whole show in an instant.

Nothing. Matters.
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Well, I didn't call it.

But I know why I didn't call it, and that makes me feel better. Well, aside from the fact basically nobody called it.

My mistake was the postman's hoax. I assumed that, because all the envelopes I got had letters, that everyone was getting letters. We saw that Chidi and Eleanor and Jason and Tahini were Actual People, so I assumed all the people we just glanced at were people too, that any theory had to keep all these nice, self-sacrificing people as part of the math.

But no! The envelopes just had scorpions! I was making judgements based on envelope scorpions!

They got me good. And it felt fair! Which is unusually when you pull out this much rug!

Holy shit. This show was already brilliant. But... fuck me! Yes, show. You know your stuff.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Wowowowowowowowowowowow. I think that this is legitimately my favourite season of TV ever.

I think that I disagree.
    Yes, they're already back to the start. But: they've shown that they can A) figure out what's going on, and B) that they can legitimately improve themselves as people. With every reincarnation they could get a little bit closer to enlightenment. I mean, it's obviously not a super happy ending, but I think that given everything we've seen, there's a lot of room for hope.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    But what if
    it actually is the good place

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Other spoiler
    OMG THEY WERE DEAD THE WHOLE TIME

edited January 2017
    Random thing:
    One of Elaenor's worst deeds in life was starting a fire in a mailbox to get a mailman to take off his shirt. Naturally, in Good Place 2.0 she's assigned a mailman who immediately takes of his shirt.

Also, shirt, Elaenor really has a thing for people who are jacked and taller than she is, and it's funny to see it come out.

Shadowhope on
    Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Random thing:
    One of Elaenor's worst deeds in life was starting a fire in a mailbox to get a mailman to take off his shirt. Naturally, in Good Place 2.0 she's assigned a mailman who immediately takes of his shirt.

Also, shirt, Elaenor really has a thing for people who are jacked and taller than she is, and it's funny to see it come out.

I'm guessing that it's going to be a rehash of the opening scene of "Trainwreck."

• OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    What about Mindy St Claire? Was the Medium place also just a construct of Michael's or do you think it's actually its own thing?

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Sorce wrote: »
    Chidi's arc in this episode annoyed the shit out of me. Someone that indecisive can not be a functioning adult; how was he even able to dress himself in the morning, let alone have a job and be married?

Do you retroactively feel better about this?
    Abso-forkin'-lutely.

I need a forkin' Season Two, like, right now.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
    What about Mindy St Claire? Was the Medium place also just a construct of Michael's or do you think it's actually its own thing?

Real thing.
    They only knew about it because of Janet, and Janet is an independent entity.

Shadowhope wrote: »
    Random thing:

To be fair, something like 99% of adult humanity is taller than Kristen Bell.

Ha, Eleanor mentions cyber-stalking a hot mailman from her work computer back in episode 2.

• abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    Oh, I didn't know we had a thread for this show. I discovered the show at about episode 6 and was instantly hooked after I started the binge. Having just finished it, I can definitely say this is an amazing show with one of the best twists ever done on television. It was forking brilliant.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I'm pretty convinced this is all some kind of purgatory put-on for some or all of our characters. Eleanor may have had more work to do, but Chidi (passive and sterile) and Tahani (vain and condescending) also have issues that the good place seems to be working on through their mistaken soul mates

I'm guessing Michael's bumbling aura is just a put-on and everything is happening exactly as he intends.

The explanation for how the Eleanors switched blows up when you realize the same thing must have happened to Jianyu down to the 10-thousandth of a second. If it isn't a lie, then an unknown third party is arranging these on purpose.

Another alternate theory: this is all a plot by God to distract everyone so she can slip out and play some skeeball in New Jersey.

BTW: Kudos.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular

Real thing.
    They only knew about it because of Janet, and Janet is an independent entity.
    Independent... but she's using their network for her information. Like feeding an honest reporter a bad lead. Notice how she doesn't even know how to sex when outside of the reception area, and couldn't teleport any more? Yeah, the intel was being piped in from "The Good Place".

Now, she could have been tapping a real Good Place network, but that's a risky move at best. You could have someone ask a question you didn't think of, and suddenly Jason knows the true name of God that brings joy beyond all comprehension for eternity, or Chidi gets a nice simple answer to his current ethical quandary, or Eleanor asks if she's in the bad place, and suddenly the game is rumbled. Not a smart play.

Also, notice how they could still track her, and all the claims of them being off the grid were in front of Chidi? Yeah. I'm not convinced the Medium Place is any realer than the rest of the setup. It'd be pretty odd that Hell would let people pull a runner that casually, especially when they're depending on everyone being there to keep things hellish.

• KurganKurgan Registered User regular
    Wow. That season finale was great.
    I didn't see that twist coming. Now the show seems like a take on Jean-Paul Sartre's "No Exit", which given the philosophy presented in the show so far, is not surprising.

Vicki was truly great at what she does.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    So that's how this show is going to keep going.

I wonder how long they make it take for them to figure it out in season 2

• EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    Well that was something. A bit of a dip in the middle of the season but they really pulled it around. Janet is amazing.

also I want to know if Janet's ride or die protocol is still in effect after the reboot

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    also I want to know if Janet's ride or die protocol is still in effect after the reboot
    It was, right up until she died was rebooted.

sig.gif
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    The twist was right there in plain sight through most of the season, and near as I can tell, nobody called it. I sure didn't. Masterfully done.

And it actually sets things up for more interesting stuff in season two! Holy fork.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    The twist was right there in plain sight through most of the season, and near as I can tell, nobody called it. I sure didn't. Masterfully done.

And it actually sets things up for more interesting stuff in season two! Holy fork.
    I was actually kinda wondering it the whole time. Like something about tahani always rubbed me the wrong way. Like I came to the same realization she did about herself, but like 3 episodes early. That and the pretensious British accent. Frankly I just filed it away as me reading way too deep and being a judgmental asshole. Apparently I had been on to something.

All I can really say though is that this is a refreshing fucking TV show. I haven't liked a sit com in a good long while, but this one is awesome. It's a new idea, dealing with some pretty complex themes, bit it's also just wacky as fuck sometimes.

I eagerly await season 2

A lot of people did compare the show to The Twilight Zone.

And it is fun to rewatch the show and pick up on all the things that sets up the finale. Like how
    Michael kicks a dog into the sun in the first episode.

• Inkstain82Inkstain82 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I definitely have some concerns.

1) Did we really not have any scenes with Michael interacting with anyone outside the chosen 4? I feel like we did. At the very least some of his interactions with Janet don't make sense.

2) Erasing a whole season's worth of character growth is a risky play

3) I hope they have a very clear endgame in sight, and not more than a couple of seasons away. This is going to get exhausting really quick, especially since I don't believe for a minute this is the final iteration of this twist. The last moment of the first ep of season 2 is going to rewrite Michael's motivations again in some way. I don't want to sit through six seasons of "it's the good place, no it's the medium place, no it's the bad place, no it's something else, no it's the good place again."

4) This isn't a concern I guess, but I don't wanna make two spoiler tags. I *think* the Medium Place was part of the act. It fits into Eleanor's expectations and aids the plot too much. Which of course makes Janet's role and knowledge even more confusing. They really need to expand on that more.

All that said though, I still really liked it. Mostly it's the cast that shines. Ted Danson is a treasure.

Inkstain82 on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Inkstain82 wrote: »
    I definitely have some concerns.

1) Did we really not have any scenes with Michael interacting with anyone outside the chosen 4? I feel like we did. At the very least some of his interactions with Janet don't make sense.

2) Erasing a whole season's worth of character growth is a risky play

3) I hope they have a very clear endgame in sight, and not more than a couple of seasons away. This is going to get exhausting really quick, especially since I don't believe for a minute this is the final iteration of this twist. The last moment of the first ep of season 2 is going to rewrite Michael's motivations again in some way. I don't want to sit through six seasons of "it's the good place, no it's the medium place, no it's the bad place, no it's something else, no it's the good place again."

4) This isn't a concern I guess, but I don't wanna make two spoiler tags. I *think* the Medium Place was part of the act. It fits into Eleanor's expectations and aids the plot too much. Which of course makes Janet's role and knowledge even more confusing. They really need to expand on that more.

All that said though, I still really liked it. Mostly it's the cast that shines. Ted Danson is a treasure.

In regards to 1
    Remember Janet is stolen. She doesnt belong there either and is also being lied to by Micheal. This might be why she started to become independent when exposed to "bad" people and why Eleanor wasnt told bout her on the reset

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I was actually kinda wondering it the whole time. Like something about tahani always rubbed me the wrong way. Like I came to the same realization she did about herself, but like 3 episodes early. That and the pretensious British accent. Frankly I just filed it away as me reading way too deep and being a judgmental asshole. Apparently I had been on to something.

All I can really say though is that this is a refreshing fucking TV show. I haven't liked a sit com in a good long while, but this one is awesome. It's a new idea, dealing with some pretty complex themes, bit it's also just wacky as fuck sometimes.

I eagerly await season 2

Tahani:
    I was kind of wondering about her too, but I figured that having the second-lowest score of anyone there punctured that particular balloon.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited January 2017
    Captain Tragedy on

13 episodes is perfect for this show IMO. Although, it'd be nice if it wasn't cut in half, or if it is cut in half that it be cut more cleanly. Whatever the case, run it from September through December. You have about sixteen weeks to work with, and if you have an hour long premiere and finale you're looking at needing just 11 of those weeks.

I really, really hope that this show has a definite end some day, a worthwhile series finale.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Fork yeah!

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    tahani is sleeper hero in this

if she and eleanor arent otp im a frog

obF2Wuw.png