As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Civilization 6: The Thread

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Ok am I a moron or something

Every damn time I start a game there ends up being two barbarian encampments next to me and they can crank out soldiers way faster than I can, ESPECIALLY if I try to do anything other than crank out soldiers as well

It's infuriating

you have to blitz the camp no matter what. barbs are really strong and unlike previous civs, they will keep pace with your technology. any and all camps must be dealt with as soon as they spawn, even if that means suiciding a unit into it

Fuuuuuuuck this.

I want less barbarians, not more!

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It's really weird to be 300 turns into a game and find that there are still some barbarians hanging around

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    maybe i did it wrong but going the religious route seemed kind of dull

after founding the religion it felt like there wasn't really much to do other than build faith as fast as possible and spam apostles and missionaries

so far i havent seen anything to suggest there's more depth to it than this. best case scenario you draw a spiritual civ and have someone to throw lightning bolts at, but even then, it's a shadow of real war

• Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Yeah I was real excited the first time I got to have religious fights with my apostles, but then I noticed that upgrade that gets rid of other religions and that it makes religious victories SUPER easy.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It's really weird to be 300 turns into a game and find that there are still some barbarians hanging around

I figure past the early game barbarian just means rebel or criminals. Like modern day pirates or drug cartels.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TheStig wrote: »

I figure past the early game barbarian just means rebel or criminals. Like modern day pirates or drug cartels.

I still hate it because it forces late game military development in a way that feels really artificial and shitty to me. There are no real rewards for clearing barbarians mid-to-late game, it's just a fucking chore you have to avoid the pillaging penalty, no matter how developed your empire happens to be. Not every mechanic needs to feel good, and it's okay to include busy work or throw a wrench in your players otherwise-flawless strategy, but I really do hate barbarians after the Classical Era.

Personal pet peeve.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It seems tech/advancements for religion really just stops around the Renaissance era

modern civics as televangelists would be fantastic, or new-age revivalism for faith to maybe change your old faith choices for a new list

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Done a cultural victory and now a science victory with Japan.

I think I find science victories to actually be kinda boring. It's mostly lots of turtling and building up production/science/gold to make and purchase whatever you need as you get towards the end. It was kinda the same thing in Civ 5 but even with the un-stacking science victories are still not nearly as complicated, especially since a lot of wonders are kinda useless for science.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

I still hate it because it forces late game military development in a way that feels really artificial and shitty to me. There are no real rewards for clearing barbarians mid-to-late game, it's just a fucking chore you have to avoid the pillaging penalty, no matter how developed your empire happens to be. Not every mechanic needs to feel good, and it's okay to include busy work or throw a wrench in your players otherwise-flawless strategy, but I really do hate barbarians after the Classical Era.

Personal pet peeve.

On my last game civs would thank me late game for clearing barbarians that weren't even near them. I imagine that was boosting my relations with them.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    sarukun wrote: »

Personal pet peeve.

On my last game civs would thank me late game for clearing barbarians that weren't even near them. I imagine that was boosting my relations with them.

That is admittedly a pretty nice addition.

sarukun on
  • Options
    DedwrekkaDedwrekka Metal Hell adjacentRegistered User regular
    There's an Apostle upgrade that lets you take control of nearby barbarians, so I built them up until I got a few apostles with that and went on a recruitment drive.

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    In my current game I got gilgamesh. I want more barbarians . Barbarians everywhere please.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    anyone having an issue where the game won't load? About 5 seconds after sitting on the loading screen the game becomes unresponsive

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Holy shitballs. I'm playing a game as Japan with an industrial zone in every city and I just got the Toronto city-state bonus (+3 range to specialty district buildings). My electronics factories and power plants reach 9 tiles, and my capital is currently getting the bonuses of having eight fucking industrial zones.

Shit is bonkers.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    anyone having an issue where the game won't load? About 5 seconds after sitting on the loading screen the game becomes unresponsive

i set it to verify the local cache, came back an hour and a half later and it was still at 0% completion

i deleted the game and reinstalled it and now i can't even get past the splash screen that comes up after the intro movie

• Options
    Dedwrekka wrote: »
    There's an Apostle upgrade that lets you take control of nearby barbarians, so I built them up until I got a few apostles with that and went on a recruitment drive.

Okay, it sounds like they added some more interesting stuff for barbarians, so maybe I won't hate it to death with my mind this time.

• Options

yes, i figured this out last night

it seems like the game runs afoul of Windows Defender. i disabled it and not only did it start loading many times faster, but my turns started going faster too

• Options
    SLyM wrote: »
    Holy shitballs. I'm playing a game as Japan with an industrial zone in every city and I just got the Toronto city-state bonus (+3 range to specialty district buildings). My electronics factories and power plants reach 9 tiles, and my capital is currently getting the bonuses of having eight fucking industrial zones.

Shit is bonkers.

How do you check if you have the bonus or not?

• Options
    When you go into the screen to send envoys it will say who the suzerain is on the far right side. Mousing over it tells you what they give you for it.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Religious victory with Egypt. I had so much money pouring in from trade routs.

Does anyone know if wonder bonuses expire? I lost the one that gives my apostles a free upgrade but I couldn't tell if it was because I entered a new age or if another wonder (the one that makes them martyrs automatically) interfered with it and it bugged out, because I kept getting the "your unit can be promoted" alert, but the option wasn't available on the unit.

The upgrades for Apostles only have a certain amount of "charges" before that upgrade is no longer available, based on the game I had it. Looked like 4 for each upgrade. No idea if that's intentional or not, but it was, at the very least, annoying.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    When you go into the screen to send envoys it will say who the suzerain is on the far right side. Mousing over it tells you what they give you for it.

w-wrong thing

I meant how do you tell how many electronics factories affect a city

Oghulk on
  • Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular

Shit is bonkers.

The specialty district buildings affecting other cities are amazing. There is now so much to think about when planting a new city, which is basically my favorite part of civ games. My next game I'm really going to have to lay things out, but i looks like you sort of want your cities in a ring, with entertainment and industrial stuff in the middle. I love the district system, i just wish there were even more interdistrict bonuses.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    hmm started a Sparta game and was hoping to hoplite everything to death and got a weird map where nobody was within a billion miles of me. daaaaamn

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »

w-wrong thing

You can't particularly easily. You can count the tiles or look at the info panel and math out how many extra factories are working their magic.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

w-wrong thing

You can't particularly easily. You can count the tiles or look at the info panel and math out how many extra factories are working their magic.

It's stuff like this that makes me anxious for someone to put up a good UI mod on steam. There are dozens of UI head scratchers here.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Started my first game, on a few tics above normal difficulty, like I normally do, and spent the first 30 turns dealing with two barbarian encampments constantly attacking my starting city.

The Egyptians started right next to me, weren't getting attacked at all and Cleopatra denounced me for being a weakling by turn five...

Maybe I start over on regular difficulty this time. I could just be rusty, but in my very brief time with it, it seems harder.

Maximum on
  • Options
    Keep in mind the AI starts with fairly significant benefits starting on Emperor: Free Pottery, Mining and a Warrior, and on Immortal they get an extra Settler and on Deity they get Animal Husbandry in addition to everything else.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular

Most important thing in here:

WASD SCROLLING

MY SALVATION

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Biggest complaint of Civ 6 so far: lack of a "no ocean" map. I loved the Lakes tileset in Civ V and would really appreciate having it return. Inland Sea so far is my favorite compromise.

• Options
    Does an aqueduct built in one city affect all your other cities?

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Oh god, disabling auto unit cycling. I've messed up so many unit movements by having the game snap me to a new unit the moment before I click a movement target.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Hmm, this has started crashing on me after the opening logos. How irritating.

• Options

turn off windows defender

I'm adding this to the OP

windows defender fucks with this game badly. i turned it off and the entire game got about 4x faster

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Theocracy is kinda crazy even if you aren't going for the religious victory.
    You put out missionaries every other turn, and they make sure faith starts pulling in.

It's way cheaper to blow faith on guns and ships, and great persons, than money. You only need a few religious cities with holy sites to generate stuff.

Plus there's the whole, Let me take your town, and start spawning tanks from it.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular

Yeah I deleted the files and redownloaded it twice last night before I found out about the Windows Defender thing this morning and it was still pretty iffy. Gonna try that when I get back home.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Then again, maybe Theocracy & putting a smidge of effort into evangelizing is less good on smaller maps, where there are less cities to draw faith from.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    somethings going on in my install and the load times are getting worse and worse... verify local files didn't help

hmmm

I had this problem (sat at the load screen for 10minutes doing nothing). Fixed it by getting windows defender to ignore the Civ 6 folder (settings>update & security>defender>add exclusion, ty steam forums)

*edit*
    aha I see that'll teach me not to read all the way through :)

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular

turn off windows defender

I'm adding this to the OP

windows defender fucks with this game badly. i turned it off and the entire game got about 4x faster

That did it, thanks!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    does anyone know if they ever get Beyond Earth to a point where it was a worthy successor to Alpha Centauri?

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    From what I've heard the expansion made things a little better but didn't get close to how good AC was.