As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NFL] 2016 Season Summed Up in a Single Photograph

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Totally perpendicular to anything we're discussing here, I had never listened to football on radio before but I did tonight because I had to head home before the game was over and I have newfound respect for the radio casters for football. I had such a clear picture of what was happening on field just from some guy talking about it, at speed. I found that very impressive.

Radio sportscasting in general is pretty amazing when you think about it. You ever listen to a hockey game? Shit is i n t e n s e

I am kind of at the point of wanting to mute all TV during Eagles games and just listen to Merrill Reese's broadcast

because he is the best

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    As someone who just recently (like just last season) finally started watching a professional sport and following a team, the reaction to losses is still kind of astounding and foreign to me

I kinda hope I never end up reacting that way, I dunno

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I actually had no idea that the Heat had even won anything

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Stop shitting on my Yankees! We haven't won.in years !

raijin, listen to me, I want you to hear every bit of this, as if these were spoken words and not printed ones. maybe get a text-to-speech program out:

fuck the yankees
    also fuck the cardinals

when the phillies got knocked out by the yankees, then the giants, and then the cardinals, it was basically the worst 3 years of my sporting life.

was like a who's who of fucking nightmarish trash garbage.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

What about the Marlins?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    As someone who just recently (like just last season) finally started watching a professional sport and following a team, the reaction to losses is still kind of astounding and foreign to me

I kinda hope I never end up reacting that way, I dunno

It's usually not this vitriolic.

People really, really, really hate the Patriots.

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Totally perpendicular to anything we're discussing here, I had never listened to football on radio before but I did tonight because I had to head home before the game was over and I have newfound respect for the radio casters for football. I had such a clear picture of what was happening on field just from some guy talking about it, at speed. I found that very impressive.

Radio sportscasting in general is pretty amazing when you think about it. You ever listen to a hockey game? Shit is i n t e n s e

I am kind of at the point of wanting to mute all TV during Eagles games and just listen to Merrill Reese's broadcast

because he is the best

I wanted to do that with Cubs broadcasts during the playoffs, but the TV broadcast and the radio broadcasts were both delayed at different rates, so it would have been disjointed and super distracting. Also the local carrier for Cubs broadcasts is the local ESPN radio affiliate, and ESPN put their own broadcasters on. Bad scene all around, really

• Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular

I was really impressed at the skill on display from whoever it was (never caught a name). I know for a fact I could not do that job, ever, in a million years.

Most of the guys doing radio, and especially whoever had the national call for the super bowl, have been doing this for 25+ years and are really, really good.

Listening to Brad Sham call cowboys games when I used to have to drive 7 hours every Sunday made those drives almost bearable, and I still sometimes watch with the sound muted and radio on if its a CBS game.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    Maximum wrote: »

What about the Marlins?

man they haven't won shit since 2003, and fuck that team

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited February 2017

What about the Marlins?

Haven't won shit in 14 years and every time they've ever won anything their shit ass owners sell off the entire team so they can't win again

And then they move the team to Miami because they have spent the past twenty years trying to court the Hispanic audience who doesn't give a shit about the Marlins

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Has it been that long? Damn I'm getting old.

• Options
    how dare you bring up the 2003 mlb playoffs in my presence, even obliquely

how dare you, sir

• Options

how dare you, sir

man, you won now, you don't get to complain about bartman anymore

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

how dare you, sir

man, you won now, you don't get to complain about bartman anymore

nobody should have gotten to complain about bartman in the first place, frankly

• Options

how dare you, sir

You won. Let it go.

And trade Kris Bryant to the Giants.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular

raijin, listen to me, I want you to hear every bit of this, as if these were spoken words and not printed ones. maybe get a text-to-speech program out:

fuck the yankees
    also fuck the cardinals

when the phillies got knocked out by the yankees, then the giants, and then the cardinals, it was basically the worst 3 years of my sporting life.

We'll still have 2008 :X

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    Huh, thinking about it a bit and pretty much every New England super bowl had been, at the very least, a crazy entertaining game?

I don't remember NE/Stl very well but that was the one game they were underdogs, the Carolina and Philly games were close and ended on game winning FGs, the Giants games were both nuts, of course, and vs Seattle and Atlanta had the insane comebacks.

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options

fuck the yankees
    also fuck the cardinals

We'll still have 2008 :X

some say matt stairs' homerun is still flying to this day.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I feel genuinely awful for falcons fans

But also
    Now you know how it felt in 98, fuckers

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Fuck it anyway, cuz the RAIDERS ARE THE NEW POWER IN THE AFC Y'ALL

WE RUN THIS SHOW NOW CHUMPS. BRADY IS LIKE 190 YEARS OLD.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options

how dare you, sir

You won. Let it go.

And trade Kris Bryant to the Giants.

you can attempt to sign him to a billion year contract once he's done here like everyone else

• Options
    Fuck it anyway, cuz the RAIDERS ARE THE NEW POWER IN THE AFC Y'ALL

WE RUN THIS SHOW NOW CHUMPS. BRADY IS LIKE 190 YEARS OLD.

man the raiders don't even have a place to play football anymore.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ph blake wrote: »
    Huh, thinking about it a bit and pretty much every New England super bowl had been, at the very least, a crazy entertaining game?

I don't remember NE/Stl very well but that was the one game they were underdogs, the Carolina and Philly games were close and ended on game winning FGs, the Giants games were both nuts, of course, and vs Seattle and Atlanta had the insane comebacks.

It's because the Patiots are an unbelievably second half team. "Shit from a butt" in the first half and "Skull-taker, Destroyer of Worlds" in the second half is kinda how they always play.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    The nice thing about the Cowboys not being in the super bowl was that it was stress free for me and the outcome didn't matter

Rooting for the Cowboys shouldn't change that either, but sports is irrational

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    It's weird that this was basically the opposite of how Pats super bowls usually go

Usually it's new england taking a commanding lead early, then nearly giving it away in the second half, sometimes ACTUALLY giving it away

• Options
    edited February 2017
    The nice thing about the Cowboys not being in the super bowl was that it was stress free for me and the outcome didn't matter

Rooting for the Cowboys shouldn't change that either, but sports is irrational

I remember being in kindergarten in Dallas during the 93 super bowl and having to make a collage about what the Cowboys mean to me.

They fucking indoctrinated me and I will never be able to escape.

ph blake on
    7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    I managed to escape being a Bears fan but I also dodged being a Blackhawks fan and that came back to bite me in the ass

• Options
    I managed to escape being a Bears fan but I also dodged being a Blackhawks fan and that came back to bite me in the ass

We'd be blood rivals though

Fuck the Hawks to hell and back

• Options

well I...kind of root for the Avalanche, but I think the Wild kind of have their number

I blame my brother for talking shit to a Wild fan at mall of america when the Avs were up like 3-1 on them one year, I don't think the Avs have ever recovered

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited February 2017
    Ok simple request?

People piss the Pats won: Go get some air.

People glad the Pats won: Dial it down a bit.

Sports talk in other places is barely tolerable, I'd like here to be a bit better.

Sorry, not sorry: fucking nope. Go back through the thread. All the "FUCK THE PATRIOTS" when the Falcons were up. Fuck Brady. Fuck Belichick.

Nah, we won. We get this for the night.

Edit: the "suck it" stuff? Yeah, that can go away. But I'll gloat about Brady being the best QB ever.

Fawst on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    I hate both teams but I apparently hate the Falcons more. Also I support Revenge Tour 2017.

Fuck the dirty birds. Great game.

• Options

well I...kind of root for the Avalanche, but I think the Wild kind of have their number

I blame my brother for talking shit to a Wild fan at mall of america when the Avs were up like 3-1 on them one year, I don't think the Avs have ever recovered

I'm really just jealous of the hawks and bitter because they keep knocking us out of the playoffs

• Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    Ok simple request?

Sports talk in other places is barely tolerable, I'd like here to be a bit better.

Sorry, not sorry: fucking nope. Go back through the thread. All the "FUCK THE PATRIOTS" when the Falcons were up. Fuck Brady. Fuck Belichick.

Edit: the "suck it" stuff? Yeah, that can go away. But I'll gloat about Brady being the best QB ever.

He's not, though

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Ok simple request?

He's not, though

Keep telling yourself that.

• Options
    CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular

fuck the yankees

How do you live with yourself?

I pity you. I truly do.
    I do not.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    As a South Florida sports teams fan

Anyone with a winning team can suck my dick

My family teams are Mets/Jets/Rangers/Knicks. We have 2 total championship wins, across all of those teams, since the 80s. The 4 we had from 69-73 is about it beyond that.

The two teams I picked up on my own are the Expos and Flyers. Add 2 more in 74 and 75.

I was born in '95.

I have not seen a championship across any sport in my lifetime.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Ok simple request?

He's not, though

Keep telling yourself that.

Okay!

• Options
    after the cubs fucked up in 03 the next three teams to win the world series were the red sox, the white sox, and the cardinals, which is the hardest I've ever been trolled in my entire life

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Awesomeing the post wasn't enough, have to actually say "this is awesome"

This discussion has been closed.