As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burn in Hell, Jack Chick

• Options
    mildlymorbidmildlymorbid Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Oh, that reminds me, I need to try and get an inksectomy next year

I love my kids but I don't think Rachel or I could manage more than two

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I got a vasectomy back about 7 years ago, they went in with a laser pinhole incision, no scalpel or stitches involved, removed a bit of vas with the laser, put in some titanium bits on the end to make sure they didn't heal back together for good measure, sealed it back up with the laser, all done.

Been fantastic, can recommend. If you're in a dedicated, monogamous relationship, not ever having to worry about birth control or condoms ever again is great.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Moriveth has to get his vasectomy from a guy that works at the reptile house

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Pony wrote: »
    I got a vasectomy back about 7 years ago, they went in with a laser pinhole incision, no scalpel or stitches involved, removed a bit of vas with the laser, put in some titanium bits on the end to make sure they didn't heal back together for good measure, sealed it back up with the laser, all done.

Been fantastic, can recommend. If you're in a dedicated, monogamous relationship, not ever having to worry about birth control or condoms ever again is great.

I had to get a special one because my veins are awesome or something. Shit hurt something fierce and then got infected. It was like getting kicked in the balls but like for days.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    Looking into getting myself sorted tomorrow as well. I super dont want kids so adding another layer on top makes like much simpler. Partner doesnt get her hormones punched around on bc

IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    here is an incomplete list of things I was not allowed to imbibe when I was a kid:

the simpsons
    teenage mutant ninja turtles
    GI Joe
    Transformers
    StarCraft
    Pokémon
    Futurama
    He-Man
    X-Men
    Captain Planet

I wasn't allowed to watch anything deemed intellectually insulting. So my list wasn't too dissimilar - smurfs/my little pony/he-man/etc? Right out. The entire Monty python ouvre, Warner Bros cartoons, and the Simpsons*, however, were a-ok.

Also the amount of absolutely smutty sci-fi and classic literature they had on their bookshelves was educational, to say the least.

* (once my mother actually watched some and realised it wasn't just about a skateboarding ten year old)

Fucken WHAT?!? No He-Man?!? That's some red hot bullshit I tell you what...

After occasionally catching some He-Man at friends houses, I was pretty ok with the policy.

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    I would be pretty keen on the idea of not having a tv in the house.

Although nowadays not giving your child an ipad is considered bordering on child abuse

I don't have a tv and it sometimes weirds people out a bit. But I mean, I still watch tv. Just on my laptop.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    It would be nice if there were a single sterilization+period cancelling procedure available for women that didn't result in 1,000 horrifying, potentially fatal risks.

Can I just have everything removed plz

NightDragon on
  • Options

Although nowadays not giving your child an ipad is considered bordering on child abuse

I don't have a tv and it sometimes weirds people out a bit. But I mean, I still watch tv. Just on my laptop.

I have a TV with no signal that's wired up to my PC

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »
    But for real, yeah, Rachel and I both agree that 2 kids is enough, and from what I understand a vasectomy is a bit less invasive than her tubes being tied, so whatevs.

A bit being fairly large, yeah

Also we finally get to take the bullets out of the gun! I will always be glad for birth control pills and the people they work well for but my partner has had a hell of a time adjusting them with other meds and just life. If I could take a pill to make me shoot blanks I'd be on that in a hot second, I've never liked that the current state is asking the woman to chemically alter herself vs men and/oring putting a little rubber on.

• Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular
    Moriveth has to get his vasectomy from a guy that works at the reptile house

Hello thar

• Options

I have a TV with no signal that's wired up to my PC

I used to do that, but I got rid of my TV when I left England and now I kind of resent the space they take up.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    It would be nice if there were a single sterilization+period cancelling procedure available for women that didn't result in 1,000 horrifying, potentially fatal risks.

Can I just have everything removed plz

It's not completely without risks but my partner's been on Mirena for YEARS and loves it and I think still feels her cycle but it's nothing like her periods when she was on the pill. We kind of get overly excited about how well it works /for us/ when birth control comes up amongst friends.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I'm actually amazed at how much cheaper a tv is compared to a similarly sized monitor

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    I greatly prefer watching movies and playing games on my big tv

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Tox wrote: »
    I'm actually amazed at how much cheaper a tv is compared to a similarly sized monitor

I got a 720p TV like seven years back for almost nothing that functions perfectly fine for a TV for my XBOX

a similarly sized monitor at that same period would've been three times as much money

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    I think you need to be super careful as a parent as soon as your kid gets access to something online, like an ipad with internet access or something. A friend of mine (might've been Moriveth, actually) said their kid was really into watching Youtube videos of other kids opening Kinder eggs and assembling the toys. Which sounds adorable! ...and then I think of the idea of a young child on Youtube and my blood runs cold.
    https://kids.youtube.com/

My aunt found out about this when her toddler started watching videos about big trucks. She came in one day and he was happily watching gory accident scene videos :bigfrown:

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

The refresh rate and burn-in though.

• Options
    I think you need to be super careful as a parent as soon as your kid gets access to something online, like an ipad with internet access or something. A friend of mine (might've been Moriveth, actually) said their kid was really into watching Youtube videos of other kids opening Kinder eggs and assembling the toys. Which sounds adorable! ...and then I think of the idea of a young child on Youtube and my blood runs cold.
    https://kids.youtube.com/

My aunt found out about this when her toddler started watching videos about big trucks. She came in one day and he was happily watching gory accident scene videos :bigfrown:

neat!

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited October 2016
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The refresh rate and burn-in though.

The TVs have better refresh rates now too!

e: the biggest difference appears to be the monitors apparently have higher resolutions, curve in smaller sizes, and sometimes are actually wider?

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I'm looking forward to new and exciting things that I can forbid my children from doing.

technology is going to create all kinds of new things for you to stress about

mori have you considered what you're going to do if one of your kids turns out to be a furry and there's new gene mods on the market that let them actually become a furry like in that Batman Beyond episode

I've been putting money in a jar for the last 17 years for this exact reason.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I feel like banning your kids from "screens" entirely is way too socially limiting... and can even border on being a bit damaging, with how important it is to be technologically fluent nowadays (something that will only become more and more necessary as time goes on, IMO).

I didn't have a computer until I was 14. I took to it ok. Kids aren't stupid, not having an iPad at age 4 isn't crippling them socially.

Oh yeah, I mean, your statement is hyperbolic compared to what I was referring to. Obviously not having an iPad at age 4 isn't going to be detrimental. But not allowing your kids to see any TV or movies, any computer or internet, any smartphone, or any tablet while they're under the age of 18? I think that's a huge problem. Moreso with computers and internet use than anything, because that's the only technological fluency that I believe is becoming more and more necessary.

I mean

no one was suggesting a complete ban on screens until age 18

I don't think that's very practical

Can we keep the screens and just ban the children instead?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    All these issues about how to have some control over what your kids experience while still letting them learn and grow sound super stressful. I am never having kids myself but I wonder about how my brother and his wife will tackle it.

• Options
    edited October 2016
    All these issues about how to have some control over what your kids experience while still letting them learn and grow sound super stressful. I am never having kids myself but I wonder about how my brother and his wife will tackle it.

yep

I opted out of child-having but my brother's got a pair of sons and I do not envy the man or his burdens as a father

He referenced Dara O'Braian's bit about technology being a treadmill you can't ever stop running on, because if you stop running, you fall off. And he's like "As a father in the 21st century, I am on that treadmill for the rest of my life, because otherwise I become that parent who when my kid is like 16 and is like 'alright Dad I'm going to a Enmeshing party' and I'm all 'Why you kids these days gotta Enmesh into the Cyberweave? In my day we laughed at memes on the Internet and it was good enough!'"

(If you think "Enmesh into the Cyberweave" is a ridiculous idea of technological progression in 16 years I want you to consider trying to explain internet memes to yourself 16 years ago)

Pony on
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I didn't have home computer access until I was 18. Home internet access didn't happen because we only had dial-up available and dad needed all the bits for work.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    My cousin has popped a kid out (haven't met them yet either) and otherwise my generation of my family has yet to reproduce, which is pretty commendable IMO. Good to be able to do that kind of thing on-purpose when you're prepared. In the meantime I've been flexing some of my paternal instincts on my friends' kids and they're all pretty amazing mini-humans. I've put up an offer to babysit whenever they need a break.

I get the feeling that growing up as the oldest on both sides of my Catholic family (including a set of triplets) left me better tempered for dealing with a range of child-wrangling scenarios.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    here is an incomplete list of things I was not allowed to imbibe when I was a kid:

the simpsons
    teenage mutant ninja turtles
    GI Joe
    Transformers
    StarCraft
    Pokémon
    Futurama
    He-Man
    X-Men
    Captain Planet

I wasn't allowed to watch anything deemed intellectually insulting. So my list wasn't too dissimilar - smurfs/my little pony/he-man/etc? Right out. The entire Monty python ouvre, Warner Bros cartoons, and the Simpsons*, however, were a-ok.

Also the amount of absolutely smutty sci-fi and classic literature they had on their bookshelves was educational, to say the least.

* (once my mother actually watched some and realised it wasn't just about a skateboarding ten year old)

Fucken WHAT?!? No He-Man?!? That's some red hot bullshit I tell you what...

After occasionally catching some He-Man at friends houses, I was pretty ok with the policy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zod-xvs6i3s

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Oh I just remembered a pretty unique restriction my best friend's family had: they weren't allowed to watch movies, disney movies in particular, unless they were not based on a pre-existing book, because my friend's mom didn't like how they would rewrite the stories so differently from the original works. Or it might have been ok to watch derivative films but they had to read the original work first. Something like that.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Oh I just remembered a pretty unique restriction my best friend's family had: they weren't allowed to watch movies, disney movies in particular, unless they were not based on a pre-existing book, because my friend's mom didn't like how they would rewrite the stories so differently from the original works. Or it might have been ok to watch derivative films but they had to read the original work first. Something like that.

I bet they were subs not dubs

And of course you had to read the manga first

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I have a TV that's not plugged in and is never on but is on a TV table

In front of it is a wooden boat model which a friend gave me for safekeeping when they moved. I put it down in front of the TV on what was going to be a temporary basis, but it looks like the only channel on the telly is sailing boat against a black background. I find this to be vaguely amusing and a talking point so lacking anywhere else to put it, there it stays.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    My parents never stopped me watching anything - in fact, when I was getting creeped out by an X Files episode I was told that I needed to watch the full thing, because a scary story is scarier with no resolution.

My mum would refuse to let us watch The Simpsons while eating dinner, though. Her favourite refrain was, "Even I've seen this one." Considering how little she liked cartoons, it was amazing how many she'd apparently seen :rotate:

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    GatorGator An alligator in Scotland Registered User regular

yep

I opted out of child-having but my brother's got a pair of sons and I do not envy the man or his burdens as a father

He referenced Dara O'Braian's bit about technology being a treadmill you can't ever stop running on, because if you stop running, you fall off. And he's like "As a father in the 21st century, I am on that treadmill for the rest of my life, because otherwise I become that parent who when my kid is like 16 and is like 'alright Dad I'm going to a Enmeshing party' and I'm all 'Why you kids these days gotta Enmesh into the Cyberweave? In my day we laughed at memes on the Internet and it was good enough!'"

(If you think "Enmesh into the Cyberweave" is a ridiculous idea of technological progression in 16 years I want you to consider trying to explain internet memes to yourself 16 years ago)

Hello gator from 16 years ago, internet memes are like the all your base are belong to us thing that just came out only there are dozens of them daily

Easy

• Options
    "people post funny pictures that spread"

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    "Sometimes they make you feel a little like dying.

Also, here comes dat boi."

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    "people can shut off parts of it if they get get enough refrigerators and coffee grinders to work together"

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    My main wonder is if mechanical augmentations and cybernetics will get to the point where they're like tattoos. That's something I could see telling my kids "you can't have a cybernetic eye until you're 18" or "no cybernetics above the neck or below your forearms, employers don't like it"

But realistically, it's going to be something we never thought of. Like I could have sat for hours thinking "what's the thing that will make me feel old because I don't understand it and young people think it's amazing?" and never come up with something as startlingly mundane as pewdiepie

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    "what's the thing that will make me feel old because I don't understand it and young people think it's amazing?"

Cannibalism, neo-Dadaist art and a new kind of hat that looks completely different from four different angles

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    "Sometimes they make you feel a little like dying.

Also, here comes dat boi."

Oh shit, waddup!

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    My main wonder is if mechanical augmentations and cybernetics will get to the point where they're like tattoos. That's something I could see telling my kids "you can't have a cybernetic eye until you're 18" or "no cybernetics above the neck or below your forearms, employers don't like it"

But realistically, it's going to be something we never thought of. Like I could have sat for hours thinking "what's the thing that will make me feel old because I don't understand it and young people think it's amazing?" and never come up with something as startlingly mundane as pewdiepie

Yeah this is why so many stories set in the future retroactively become stupid as hell.

Way back when, there were various stories involving things like flying cars, but little to nothing involving increasingly compact computers.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Goatmon wrote: »

Yeah this is why so many stories set in the future retroactively become stupid as hell.

Way back when, there were various stories involving things like flying cars, but little to nothing involving increasingly compact computers.

they actually made the computers bigger in the stories

Magic Pink on